Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2859109

Subject: "Let's speak on the most transitional years in Rap and R&B...." Previous topic | Next topic
-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Mon Dec-02-13 06:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Let's speak on the most transitional years in Rap and R&B...."

I feel like every 3-5 years, there tends to be that one year that shows a major transition in the sound and style of Rap and R&B...going back to the beginning, but particularly since R&B started to feed off of Rap in the mid and late 80's.

I'm making a 93 for 93 mix (same style as my 95 and 96 mixes) and working it is making me realize how much shifted in that one year...almost to where it makes the mix harder because the sounds are all over the place.

1993:

-The Boom Bap East Coast sound was in full swing...I'd say it became dominant in 92, and by 93, it had caught on to where most East Coast artists, and even a few West Coast ones (Liks, Cypress) showed that influence. The darker sound with those sampled rough drums, along with the samples used, was dominant and knocked the more NJS influenced Rap all the way off. The noisy, high energy Bomb Squad type sound, seemed to be all the way gone at this point.

-The G-Funk of the West was still spreading...it didn't become dominant til 94 or even 95, but even outside of Death Row/Dre, you saw it coming in slowly. Most of the West Coast songs that had a Funk feel didn't feel overly synthy, though..."It was a good day" "You know how we do it" "I'm a playa" "VSOP" "Bonnie and clyde thing" etc didn't have as many sines as what Dre was doing.

-New Jack Swing was in it's death bed. A few songs had minor success that still had the NJS sound, but the upbeat R&B songs lost the swing, and some even incorporated the new Boom Bap sound. Tracks like Jade "Don't walk away" and "This is for the cool in you" sounded a bit more evolved from NJS, and this was probably the last year that any hits came from this sound.

-The new "Slow grind" styled slow jams came along, and this seemed to almost be the first year that a large number of these were hits...even more so than regular slow jams/love songs, and for sure more than the non-Whitney ballads. "Knockin da boots" "Anytime (Janet)" "Bump and grind" "Seems like you're ready" "Feenin" "Freak me"....all these came in that same 92-93 year, and it can almost be seen as a sub-genre within R&B because of it's more sexual focus and slower tempo.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i'd say a big year was 2000
Dec 03rd 2013
Hahahahaha
Dec 03rd 2013
hahahaha
Dec 03rd 2013
Here are a few things I recall from 93...
Dec 03rd 2013
RE: Let's speak on the most transitional years in Rap and R&B....
Dec 03rd 2013
Agreed but would say it started in 97
Dec 03rd 2013

Ezzsential
Charter member
11085 posts
Tue Dec-03-13 12:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i'd say a big year was 2000"
In response to Reply # 0

everybody was rhyming over expensive beats cuz of the new year
and when bone thugs in harmony came out

CHECK OUT AND DOWNLOAD MY FREE BEATS @ WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/SYLANA
~i dont deal with colors letters or any morse codes or beams~
"and suddenly the ghetto didnt seem so tough u thought u had it rough we always had enough"~tupac

Anonymous
Charter member
23227 posts
Tue Dec-03-13 01:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Hahahahaha"
In response to Reply # 1

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4550 posts
Tue Dec-03-13 03:06 PM

4. "hahahaha"
In response to Reply # 1

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Tue Dec-03-13 02:35 PM

3. "Here are a few things I recall from 93..."
In response to Reply # 0

Which I always thought was a weird thing to say. Hip-hop came up using beats from old soul & funk songs. It seemed weird that they would raise such a stink about R&B using hip-hop-flavored beats.

It was definitely the age of R&B groups. Het 4-5 cats (or chicks) together and have them harmonizing or something and you were in. I'm not even going to try to list any because there were tons of them beyond the really big names.

The west coast rise was swift, efficient & powerful.

I'd say that 1993 was immediately before the jiggy/mafioso/shiny suit era. Puffy had his hand in some big acts but they were R&B artists.

CDs were huge and cassettes were starting to fade out. We had no clue what was coming in just a couple years (Napster, online access to music, etc).

melanon
Member since Oct 21st 2003
2012 posts
Tue Dec-03-13 03:47 PM

5. "RE: Let's speak on the most transitional years in Rap and R&B...."
In response to Reply # 0

1998. the year digging was snuffed out jumping off the worst era on NYC hip hop ever.

Anonymous
Charter member
23227 posts
Tue Dec-03-13 04:09 PM

6. "Agreed but would say it started in 97"
In response to Reply # 5

98 is was a wide spread problem though

Lobby The Lesson topic #2859109 Previous topic | Next topic