Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2851709

Subject: "Okay whats the final word on authenticity in hip hop" Previous topic | Next topic
weirdscience
Member since Jun 02nd 2007
560 posts
Mon Oct-28-13 06:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
"Okay whats the final word on authenticity in hip hop"
Mon Oct-28-13 06:11 PM by weirdscience

Eminem once esteemed top cop for enforcing hip hop pedagogy while being marketed with pop acts, in hind sight, now that we've seen Recovery and heard all this new bullshit, pretty safe to say he was pop all along.

Now I got no beef if you're pop and you do you, there will always be a mainstream hip hop for you, and there will always be critics about who is faking the funk for their time, so I get this is nothing new. But I feel like the new generations of fans and acts are so over some of the stigmas in judgement that our hip hop forefathers had instilled in most 80's and 90's fans.

For instance, Drake. I feel like his blueprint was to go the 8 Mile route... first two albums lay out all the bullshit that people would dis you for, and when they hate out the gate, call yourself a revolutionary for being emotional. 3rd album however, you can play up the facade because your already here, and being a rapper gives you license to hold guns in your video about coming home. Toronto.

Another example would be Mackelmore and the newly outed Flo-Rida. These are some pop-corn ass rappers, but they getting mad money, and so in this industry climate they get respect from people who 20 years if Mackelmore or Flo-Rida was their peer, I mean would Ice Cube have had that?

I get this is more or less a petty thing, but if other people have had a point in their lives where the old sensibilities are not evolving quite as rapidly as the market and it's caused for introspection, I'd like to hear about it...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
just be who you are and don't try so hard to sell the shit
Oct 28th 2013
RE: Okay whats the final word on authenticity in hip hop
Oct 28th 2013
just sell it.
Oct 28th 2013
I think that all the "funk faking"
Oct 28th 2013

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Mon Oct-28-13 06:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "just be who you are and don't try so hard to sell the shit"
In response to Reply # 0

let the music do the talking, that's all I ask

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7008 posts
Mon Oct-28-13 06:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "RE: Okay whats the final word on authenticity in hip hop"
In response to Reply # 0

What Flo-Rida "outing" do you speak of?

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Mon Oct-28-13 09:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "just sell it. "
In response to Reply # 0

every genre has authenticity games.

r&b artists grew up in the church.
country artists grew up south of Bakersfield.
etc.

but the real key is to sell your persona convincingly.
that's why Madonna can always switch it up and be fine
but nobody believed beyonce was Sasha Fierce.

ppl will suspend all disbelief if you sell it.
it just has to feel like it's coming from a real place.

if an artist has that, folks won't care as long as the music hits.

Delajoo
Member since Jul 30th 2010
1331 posts
Mon Oct-28-13 09:54 PM

4. "I think that all the "funk faking""
In response to Reply # 0

that you are speaking of is going to catch up with these types.

Not just music, all media.

"Reality" TV, Celeb gossip, all of this hyperreal shit is going to face a new dawn one day.

I have this feeling that because trends are cyclical, and people are always wanting the opposite, or at least a large departure from what was largely accepted as "cool" at a certain time. Maybe thats why Disco faded out, why overly thug rappers have been met if not replaced with more "hipster" or at least introspective ones, and why the top songs of the year where not necessarily the EDM-plasticy that have been dominating the airwaves but at least more organic sounding hits like "Royals", "Get Lucky', "Blurred Lines" & "Suit & Tie".

When I walk around NYC and see some ads for bullshit like "Real Husbands of Hollywood" "Real Shahs of Sunset" not only do I throw up a little in my mouth, but I feel like these corporate panderers are just fooling themselves if they think that this amount of exploitation won't catch up with them. Because the truth is, even if the average majority is a slave/sheep to this content, the younger generation is WAY more clever and resourceful than anyone gives them credit for. When 12 year old girls are creating their own content and legit youtube followings, they know what it takes to create content, and they will NOT be satisfied with what is being sold to them.

Sorry for this tangent, been thinking a lot about this kind of thing today and I think that your question about authenticity is a core facet of my point. Being genuine, and authentic is something that no one can take away from you and everyone must respect. Its the only timeless thing that anyone can really contribute, because the shimmerly glitter stuff that seems popular now, will be a regrettable facepalm when we look back in the rearview. And I see it changing, I see these opposite forces colliding, and I have so much faith that Good is going to triumph over bullshit.

Again, sorry for the rant, the like 2 eople who read this, if you could just give a headnod or a headshake that'd be greatttttttttt.

-------------------
village.fm/okayplayer | @delajoo
"Whether you're a rock star or a garbage man, if you think about yourself all the time, you won't be very good at what you do." - Frusciante

Lobby The Lesson topic #2851709 Previous topic | Next topic