Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2838623

Subject: "yall ever read this ?love story on dilla? swipe " Previous topic | Next topic
Bblock
Member since Feb 20th 2012
6243 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 06:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"yall ever read this ?love story on dilla? swipe "

this shoulda been in his meta blues book and would have made the price worth it, in my opinion...nevertheless, i got this from a stones throw forum post, which i found out about from a wutang post

remember when he used to post like this for us? those were the days
but i digress. here it is:

"there is NO potential for opening a can of worms.....or a can o arrogance. (this can go either way if word gets back to either camp)

i guess in a sense there could be speculation on whether or not the "gil scott" voice sample is Donuts-esque in "the people" or if "black maybe" with the use of Syreeta's voice is in that same mode....

but imma take you back and give yall the answer.

cause on the real....

its Kanye, paying tribute to dilla FOR paying tribute to kayne who was paying tribute to rza.

follow me now.

imma jackie brown this and go back a lil. this is gonna be long.

imma start with the pete rock batch.

there lies a pete rock batch somewhere in a basement storage unit in detroit. not only have i heard it but i sorta seen him make it.

see. to all my okayproducers (especially the ones who got into beatmaking circa 1991 to about 2004) 9 times outta 10....the first beat you ever made was someone else's beat. no lie. i feel like the ONLY way to be a better beat maker is to master someone else's beat. figure how they did some shit. and if you REALLY in love with your new found craft (see Dilla) you will find ways to improve on it....and THEN you can call it your own.

i did it. everyone from that era did it. first time i made a beat on someone else's machine i practiced and remade "welcome to the terrordome" because my dad had all the ingredients in his record collection and i practiced on my toy casio sk-1 before i went to bill jolly's crib to mess around with his equipment.

but here is the thing about the "groove merchant" era of production (i dubbed ATCQ, extra p, primo, pete rock, de la (meaning pos and dave and mase were part of that era too....paul was more the "ultimate beats and breaks" era with some crazy pop overtones and masterfull sequencing genius), and diamond d's ---and cats from that feather who later influenced the buckwilds and the jay swifts and the no id's and the like of the production world) that shit (meaning the initial Groove Merchant production way of life) was like gold mining in the wild wild west in the early 1800s. it was an empty marketplace and the coast was clear...but you also knew that time was running out because either someone was going to discover your craft and crowd the marketplace or bite your craft or even worse...change your craft (hello chronic!)

the difference between break shopping in 1994 (when i first got put on to record shopping in the four figures)--and now in 2007?

man....a cat behind the counter could face a potential beatdown if he gave a secret away.

the secret:

afrika bam- would wash the label off the record so you couldn't bite his breakbeats that he would play at zulu parties.

biz and marley- would buy all of the same records and 45s from the same store so the noone else could have access to those records.

tip would NEVER share his secret salvation army store locations on the west coast for fear so and so and such and such would discover it and take some treats too.

pete rock would resort to violence if he got word that a certain record dealer played (hypothetical example) the lou donaldson break of "who's making love" to another producer AFTER said dealer just made pete pay $50 for it

(pete "yo man how you find that break?"
producer "?" "oh i went to downtown records and they had a copy"
pete on the phone "YO MAN WTF!!!!!!!!!")

i mean shit was MAD competitive before i got in the game. once i got in the game it was on its last legs and once i really got 10 years in shit was a lost art. now i record shop in ghost towns of a record store--although STILL expensive, not a crowded marketplace....for the thing that gets you paid in hip hop now is ringtone beats. not samples.

but man...in 94 and 95? beat tape sharing was like a code of honor shit.

cats were never threatened by me cause (i dont know if this is a good or a bad thing) cause i was not "one of them" i "play drums" or...still seen as "not real hip hop" (!?!?)--like the down syndrome cousin you still gotta be nice to at the family reunion...but he aint playing on my softball team damnit.---so they would openly play me shit and show me shit cause i was the first cat to arrive on the scene on some journalist shit and ask about their craft....

i mean you ask pete "how in the hell you manage to stuff the "bubblegum" break, the merv griffin james brown intro on the back of the "world" 45 ("number one soul brother....")"the grunt" backwards, "funky penguin", "long red", "lovin man" by eugene mcdaniels, AND that genius filter of marshall jones' bassline in the ohio players "pain"---in ONE PASS?!?!!?! (my first words to pete...most cats would be like "hello, TROY was a major influence on me" i was more like "pete i need answers NOW!!!!" lol)--i mean dude was flattered that someone cared enough to memo a cookbook-esque like memory to hold their shit up in that light of "importance" ("damn kid...the way you describe it makes me feel like a work of art or something" <---his response)

that didn't work on all cats....tip "stanned" me for about 3 years lol.

but turn that around and let me be a cat tryna come up...let's place that same conversation and this time lemme be just blaze just getting put on in 1993....pete might have his guard up. why? cause new meat means someone else's old meat.

and that is how cats was back then...it would be HILLLLLLLLLARIOUS.

i'd watch cats (except primo who was in a world by himself---no mistaking his sound) do the "oh yeah i got that break" game over and over and over again. as you would play them your new creation. kinda hoping to catch you off guard or make you reconsider you using that sample before they get to do it first.

tip plays his cypress hill "illusion" remix....first thing pete says is "oh yeah this is "the whatnaughts and daaddadadada......i just used this for dadadadadad"

seen crazy cats say "don't tell dadadaddad i flipped marvin gaye's dadadadddada cause he gonna bite and say "I ALREADY DID THAT!!!!!

like some "1..2..3..I GOT MY BASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" game of hide and seek.

THAT is the atmosphere dilla came into being.

although he was part of the second wave of groove merchants--his heart really belonged to the idols he worshiped from the varsity class. but they've been known to scoff and sneer at the youngins cause "that was my snare from 91"....and "his chops is horrible"---i mean it was a competitive game out there.

so of course dilla made his entry under the ATCQ shield. he was the hungry-eager to please new ideas on old records injection they needed.---i mean who is going to be the madman to chop dj towea tei's 6 second loop to make "find a way"? who is going to have the patience to sit through a rodney franklin album to make "wordplay"?---

but sometimes....just to pass the time, dilla would amuse himself and play the "this is how i would do it" game.

not even being smart...or arrogant

just "man if i had a chance to freak some shit before dadadada got to it first".....type thing".

i call it his passive agressive way of saying "im the man"

when i first met him he was still in that young jedi/still the student/just finding things out phase. this is what confused him about cats like me and 88 already knowing what he didn't know then:

he was "THE ONE"

he was VERY uncomfortable with fan worship in that sense because one:
how can someone be declared the greatest when there is NO evidence of it. and if he is so great: why is he living in his parents basement in detroit? (riq does the same shit. HATES when his peers do that: "YO THOUGHT YOU SO ILL! MAN!!! you are the illest nigga ever!!!!---and in his head its like "if i am so ill how come the ONLY nigga that wants me to spit on his shit is Kweli?----i think that is where his "edginess" yall sense comes in....but that is a whole nother poast")

but i was more quiet about him being "THE ONE"--

until okayplayer came along.

but that was 5 years after i met him so i was cool.

anywho....back to that pete rock batch--

dilla was ALWAYS making these ill ass beats that pete rock already made.

like his version of "for pete sake" with the "substitution" drums all demented like he did for Common.

or him flipping "Bam Bam" from Sister Nancy like Pete did on the basement.

shit that regular ears would never hear....he'd pick me up from the airport and on the floor would be a cassette and it would say "pete" or "primo" or "dre" and it was just him doing some homework trying to up his game with different challenges.---

i mean mastering primo means getting your scratch game and your accapella knowledge up and working with big meaty drums as opposed to the small crispy kit you used for your own project.

but if you wanna be the illest you gotta master it.

one of his "primo" beats he felt was good enough to get out without cats getting "the joke"/ or labeling him a biter was phat kat's "dedication to the suckers"
in which he used primo's "blues formula" theory (deep drums and a shrill noise on the 3. repeat 3 times. bar four change the shrill noise to a louder shrill noise used the first three times. repeat til fade. add scratches in for chorus. bonus points if the words "industry" or "the business of..." in the chorus--and where does primo find them sound bites?!?! lol---jokes..)

it was easier to let that get out without getting noid because primo never rolled like that. primo's theory was the better quality hip hop out there...be it a bitten loop or some crazy original shit....as long as it was RAW? it was all good. cause that helped the game survive. i never once heard of prime screaming on a dealer for playing a record, or him hiding his beat stash so that "dadadada" next door won't know about the difference between the two versions of sly's "small talk" on the marketplace.

now pete?

god bless pete.

pete was jealously passionate about his craft. if it was funky? he HAD to have and stamp it as his first (i mean we already read the whole debacle over "the jazz" on the low end theory) and he earned his stripes as the general of classic beatmaking...but he has earned a rep for his "by any means" method of beats (i don't think de la was too keen on his "float on" remix for lords of the underground---cause even primo said "rappers shouldn't charge other rappers for samples" and since pete took the main loop of this remix from a de la record....its not like he had to pay for it. so basically he car jacked a loop that de la probably slaved over...got denied...flatlined...and now pete sees the car on the side of the road...takes its parts and somehow got it to the finish line.

(pete took de la's GREATEST beat flip, an unclearable remix for "breakadawn" taken from prince's "the ballad of dorothy parker" and used their flip of "ballad" for his LOTUg remix. what makes it weird is that ---well back when a remix could bring attention to your album---de la never got the benefit and glory of doing an AMAZING beatflip (93 standard--of course in this dilla age of flipping the stakes are higher--but back then? i lost my cotdamn mind when i first heard that shit.) You see...only inside heads knew about this remix. and since 93 was a dangerous time anyway--with gfunk taking the edge and attention away from new york...that cost the "Mindstate" project some major street cred points it needed to sustain itself vs the easily platinum counterpart of midnight marauders.---back when street cred was a funky ass beat. not a beat up concept like "i sell drugs".

or take the whole controversy of the "wha wha wha wha wha wha wha wha wha" part of "psychedelic shack" (not the tempts version but...i forget who) that tribe used on "midnight" and pete used on "the main ingredient" --now who is to say "well since tribe used it first then pete was wrong to use it too"

i dont agree with that.

that is where i DISagree. cause the entire fanbase don't think like beatmakers. so hearing an element of your song in someone else's song to me is just a part of a the game. i mean you forever have the right to say "i released it first"...but for all we know...pete grew up on that record and knew about it before you did....you just happened to get to the finish line first before he did and released it first.

so for you lazy readers just skimming this let me reiterate: this is not a bash one dude to big up the next dude post.

this is meant to explain the mentality of what the beatmaking environment was in my eyes "back in the day".....cats spent ALOT of money buying records. and clearing samples. and fishing for great beats to make the soundtrack of our lives.

so ABOUT THAT DAMN DILLA TAPE!

dilla worshiped pete because pete was worthy of it. i mean pete can set fire to my record room tomorrow and i just MIGHT consider dropping charges cause he made "Soul Brother #1" (say it in chapelle's "he made Thriller" voice)--but

under NO circumstance was i to let pete hear these treats.

"why?" i asked.

he might take it personal. and dilla heard too much from the other varsity team about pete and couldn't risk having his idol brand him "enemy" cause he used one "long red" break too many.

i thought dukes was buggin....i said to myself "if these beats ever got out there...then just maybe beatheads will know what me and 88 already knew from the gate:

dilla was god.

i mean break after break it was killing me to keep this secret: that "mind blowing" joint with v mojica? slum had some AMAZING shit for volume 2 called "Sentimental Love" with these drums that made the kicks in "Get It Together" and "Wordplay" seem like a sober night at the drumset.

and INI's first joint that used the Dorothy Ashby harp break was flipped something terrrrrrrible for Que-D (a fellow mc from the D) that really aint see the light of day.

i mean i heard stupid shit....sheeeit Me and D even took the Dilla flipped Crown Heights Affair "Far Out" that pete used after the "Spaces and Places" interlude on Ingredient and tried to make a jam of it on Voodoo.

i think Dill came out of his confidence shell around Vol 2 time. he had an even bigger Pete dilemma: to "spruce up" (you mean "improve" jay? "naw naw...just--you know..."spruce it up a bit"--so humble that cat) "Once Upon A Time In America". in short. Pete did the beat and it was dope. But cotdamn when Dill "spruced it up".....there was no denying it.

but he would talk himself outta shit over and over and over again.

maybe he should just drop the song altogether and come up with something else so pete wont be offended.

i called hogwash. as im sure other's did too. for it stayed on the album.

i do know the final straw was the creation of what i felt was his greatest pete flip: "little brother" for blackstar.

now normally i thought only i was privy to these treats...but i guess somehow mos and kwe got their hands on that beat (dill's flip of pete's post "in the house" interlude from the Ingredient album)--and they looped the beat from the beat tape.--

i was amazed he let that beat out cause of all those beats? that is the beat he really was on his most "who is the jedi master now??!!" shit.

again...just a humble way to --tap tap tap tap-- "uh hello? im the shit thank you....don't forget it" (exit stage left)

im sure somewhere in archives is the story of how he made that beat and why i consider it to be his greatest flip.

which now leads to kanye (dragnet horns)

the real story is:

kanye was the inspiration for the motown/dill withers series.

after i heard the "dancing machine"/throwup flip i was like....

ok something is up here.

then i heard the "everyone can see your love is real good" and it hit me....

"this beat is too cotdamn intricate for an mc to rhyme over....it would distract from whatever is being said...what is the purpose of putting this batch out of songs and noone can rhyme over em? ---i mean these were put together with genius beyond no other....but what was the real reason THIS batch...more than any other batch is circulated out there more than others? i asked him.

i mean...is this your version of the pete batch for ye? kinda like a nudge like "i see you....but peep this shit"?

he told me that "spaceship" fucked him up cause for the first time he never heard that interpretation of "distant lover" in his head when he heard "distant lover". kinda fucked him up a lil.

i was like damn...that sounds like me when i talk about him (dilla). cause lord knows i have those same exact records he had and its always after the fact when i discover "he used this?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

so there could be some speculation going on with that marvel. did that mean he knew he was on his last moments and he just had to make one more message to the world of beatmaking and show them what me and 88 knew all along? was the goal to take some simple very familiar breaks and just do the Will Smith solves rubiks cube challenge in the cab with 2 mins left trick? i mean who in their right mind would spit on something as crazy as "waves" or "glazed" before they became his Donuts?

"you tryna say something to us we don't know man?"

he laughed and shrugged and never answered. "

life always offers you a 2nd chance...it's called tomorrow. use it wisely

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
another one on drum samplin' & programmin'.
Sep 05th 2013
RE: another one on drum samplin' & programmin'.
Sep 05th 2013
This shit..makes me wanna fire up the MPC60!!!
Sep 06th 2013
how did you find this?
Sep 05th 2013
from an article on beat tape i saw linked on egotripland
Sep 05th 2013
its definitely from here
Sep 07th 2013
it's in the Lesson archives
Sep 05th 2013
can't believe i missed it.
Sep 05th 2013
This Originated From Here Years Ago, Here Goes The Lank
Sep 05th 2013
good lookin'
Sep 05th 2013
      oh shit. i'm in the post. lol. i don't remember it at all
Sep 05th 2013
damn.
Sep 06th 2013
RE: damn.
Feb 13th 2016
I think the real story is how crazy their code of ethics was
Sep 06th 2013
any golden era was just a creation and adherence to a set of standards.....
Sep 06th 2013
I think it's hilarious and sad that it's that much of a foriegn concept
Sep 06th 2013
      And I wasn't around back then, either
Sep 07th 2013
           ever heard the PM Dawn story about that shit?
Sep 07th 2013

Sep 08th 2013
                Lord Finesse speaks on it briefly here (link)
Sep 08th 2013
                have not heard; will read
Sep 08th 2013
                     Prince Be used to hit up the Roosevelt like everybody else
Sep 08th 2013
after readin' this, that outburst he made on twitter
Sep 07th 2013
details? hadn't heard about it
Sep 07th 2013
      Sure you did
Sep 07th 2013
           oh I thought Block was talking about ?uest going in on dream
Sep 07th 2013
Wow
Sep 08th 2013
"Can it be that it was oh so simple then..."
Sep 08th 2013
Sep 08th 2013
well, damn.
Sep 08th 2013
anchor
Sep 10th 2013

Bblock
6243 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 06:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "another one on drum samplin' & programmin'."
In response to Reply # 0

"Kicks: according to pete rock (remember when i spoke of jay and pete re creating "mecca and the..." in jay's basement when we were doing "dynamite"? (actually we just did the "new years at jay dee's" joint) anywho---pete says that 9 times out of 10 he uses the 3rd kick from James Browns "funky president" says it gives a great punch and depth. i tested his theory and he is correct. i must say that i give JB a run for his money on the voodoo album ("the root")

808 Kick: get the 12 inch to BDPs "duck down". go to side B and play instrumental of "we in there". there is a friggin kick 808 drum from the lord himself at the very end of the song (they yelling "south bronx...south south bronx AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!!!" THEN boooooooooooooooooooooooooooom! in case you can't find this then i think that tribe has a nice one at the end of their "vibes and stuff" on the low end theory.

Claps: "carwash" from rose royce. can't lose from that. and of course "chicken grease".

Crisp snares: i dont have the song name, but al teller's SHOW AND TELL has a song on side two (the last song) that is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet to death! matter of fact--you don't even need to take it from there, you can take it from the top of "busta's lament" on the love movement (for that is the same snare)---you can also take the first snare from "fantastic 1" on the fantastic vol 1 album (same snare, just dilla mixing more low end in it. even though it's played out i still like the crisp sound of the emotions' "blind alley". "substitution" and "funky drummer" are crisp but they are mixied with so much reverb, that you can't give them a separte identity. so you always wanna use a flat sounding snare with no reverb on em...

Deep snare (aka a primo snare): once again "funky president" is a winner. and it adapts to every style. you can take the lows off it and it cracks hard (see marley marl's "eric b is president", "the bridge", and his classics) or sample it with the lows in it and blamo!! you have half the group home album. "impeech" is good too.

Hi hats- i hate effed up high hats (except for 9ths hats....while studying his hats i noticed that "speed" and "love" sounds like jheri curl "fffffftzz" spray bottles. lol. but there is a "decay" option on your 2000 (page that lets you speed up and sl;ow down samples) it is set to 0/0. when doing high hats try to decay before you just edit them on the edit page. in other words if you get a hi hat (or snare or kick--) with "clips" on the end (the result of either other instruments in the way or perhaps reverb that would make your new drum sound out of place (TSSSSSSSTsilence......TSSSSSSSSTsilence) use the decay option (scroll "end" to 100 (0/100) so now your TSSSSSSSSST sounds like a clean "T!"

the goal for me is to make drums sound as natural as possible. this is why i am on dillas nuts. cause as a drummer, he is perhaps one of maybe 4 cats that i know that will go through painstaking measures to make sure that his drums are ultra natural sounding.

once you get more advanced then you can dillatize it by sampling more than one snare. this will give you more "dynamics" options. in other words, one snare would sound rather blaze.---dont get me wrong-- one snare sound works great for the songs that need that type of action like "can't stop wont stop"--but for more melodic stuff--say if you doing a track for jill. or maybe the tribe reunion album--or just something that has musical elements (as in: you sample 8 bars of a rhodes loops, and you playing bass lines)--then this is where this method of "dynamic options" comes in correct.

if you are giving the illusion that you are doing a band--then a drummmer would hit the snares different ways everytime he hits it. i try to match the same sound when i drum, but it is not possible to get the same tone everytime. so if you are in a situation in which you got alot of sampling time--take 3 snares from the same break use snare one on the 1 and 3 use snare 2 on the four use snare 3 on the three. and if you really wanna freak **** program your drums like 16 or 32 bars at a time and go random. and if you really wanna kill **** put each drum sound on the 16 level option (the loudest sound on the top right pad/the most silent sound on the bottom left) and give snare hits that way (i do pad 16, pad 14 and 13---nothing the naked ear can really catch but it's those small things that make the song flow)

of course if you are doing a "cant stop wont stop" or busy b "suicide" or eric b is pres then just do normal programming.

also---

sometimes a shuffle is a nice high hat replacement. hi hats keep the song moving (take note that some of you die hards are scratching your head at the new gang star album because primo all but threw the high hat out the window--thus it seems--well "slow") but sometimes you can't find a good shuffle (if you own "what time is it" and "1999" (the time) and (prince) you can find excellent shuffles on "i dont wanna leave you" "777 9311" "lets pretend were married" and "dmsr".

but you can make up shuffles too--

take a high hat and do the opposite decay thing. instead of turning a TSSSSSSSST into a "T!" you can turn a "TSSSSSSSST" into a "SSSSSSSST"---

instead of scrolling the "end" of your high hat, scroll the "start" and slowly decay the start of your hi hat and soon a shuffle will occur. the best way to apply shuffles are to do the 16 pad thing and press the 16 and 10. (loud/softer sound)----check out the "yo yo" on little brothers album. there is no high hat....but 9th has shuffles all over the ****ing place (ok--he has taken drunk programming to a whole nother level---) but if you do away with high hats or just program em one the 1 and not the 3 (see MJ's "butterflies") --and you still want people to move---use a shuffle instead (or woodblock---or percussion)

more later if i think about more tricks

oh more primo (deep) snares: "free" ohio players the second and third drum breaks are sweet too.

el_guapo
Member since Aug 08th 2013
145 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 09:13 PM

4. "RE: another one on drum samplin' & programmin'."
In response to Reply # 1

>Claps: "carwash" from rose royce. can't lose from that. and of
>course "chicken grease".

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrp2z0U2Bf1qjfxauo1_500.jpg

Ascension
Member since Aug 25th 2003
6616 posts
Fri Sep-06-13 02:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "This shit..makes me wanna fire up the MPC60!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

but im at work another couple of hours

Instagram: ascensionmusic

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 06:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "how did you find this?"
In response to Reply # 0

just wondering if it was from a link in a piece that went live this week. interesting thing is it was passed to me by that author as swiped from another board swiping from another board, but i'm 99% positive it originated here just never searched through the archives for it.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Bblock
6243 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 09:42 PM

7. "from an article on beat tape i saw linked on egotripland"
In response to Reply # 2

it linked to your article and this.
i never read this before
i thought it might be from here, but i can't believe i missed it if it was

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Sat Sep-07-13 12:04 AM

15. "its definitely from here"
In response to Reply # 2

15 used to love us

-------------------------
“Floyd Mayweather should be taking fights up to 157 or 160 pounds...His frame can hold the weight..it's not even a lot of weight....Go to the gym and lift weights man..lol.”-- Warren Coolidge

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 08:17 PM

3. "it's in the Lesson archives"
In response to Reply # 0

posted here a LONG time ago when I was still a lurker

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Bblock
6243 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 09:41 PM

6. "can't believe i missed it."
In response to Reply # 3

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 09:41 PM

5. "This Originated From Here Years Ago, Here Goes The Lank"
In response to Reply # 0

This is still in the Lesson archives: http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=10810 & go to reply number 48.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Bblock
6243 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 09:43 PM

8. "good lookin'"
In response to Reply # 5

Bblock
6243 posts
Thu Sep-05-13 09:58 PM

9. "oh shit. i'm in the post. lol. i don't remember it at all"
In response to Reply # 8

i thought this was the one with the dilla story
but it's the one with the drum story
which post is the dilla story from?

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Fri Sep-06-13 06:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "damn."
In response to Reply # 0

--------------------------------------
https://smallprofessor.bandcamp.com

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Sat Feb-13-16 04:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
31. "RE: damn."
In response to Reply # 10

still.

PCProductions
Member since Oct 31st 2009
1217 posts
Fri Sep-06-13 03:43 PM

12. "I think the real story is how crazy their code of ethics was"
In response to Reply # 0

el_guapo
Member since Aug 08th 2013
145 posts
Fri Sep-06-13 06:49 PM

13. "any golden era was just a creation and adherence to a set of standards....."
In response to Reply # 12

by a multitude of contributors © david bammer

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Fri Sep-06-13 09:20 PM

14. "I think it's hilarious and sad that it's that much of a foriegn concept"
In response to Reply # 12

to people that weren't around then
not you in particular, I mean the mindstate in and of itself

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

PCProductions
1217 posts
Sat Sep-07-13 06:30 PM

18. "And I wasn't around back then, either"
In response to Reply # 14

I mean, I understand why it was the way it was, and it's a personal shame that I wasn't around in the golden era of beats when we saw it change before out eyes. But just the lengths that people went to in order to maintain their identity was just hilariously fascinating. Buying out the whole store's copies of a record? It was WAR out there, man.

Just a crazy time in music history. Like ?uestlove said, it was the gold rush during those days.

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Sat Sep-07-13 07:00 PM

21. "ever heard the PM Dawn story about that shit?"
In response to Reply # 18

it's hilarious, I'll tell you about it if you haven't heard it before

Bblock
6243 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 10:19 AM

22. ""
In response to Reply # 21

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 03:39 PM

26. "Lord Finesse speaks on it briefly here (link)"
In response to Reply # 22

http://youtu.be/VyEuLkvukkU?t=3m19s

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

PCProductions
1217 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 04:15 PM

27. "have not heard; will read"
In response to Reply # 21

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 06:14 PM

29. "Prince Be used to hit up the Roosevelt like everybody else"
In response to Reply # 27

and all the Hip Hop producers from the area would meet there and hang out, and shop for records
the one guy that had all the ill records wouldn't open his booth for anyone until Prince Be got there because he knew he was overcharging and Be didn't know the value of the records; he regularly dropped 3gs for records because he had that major deal
it made PR, Tip, Diamond, Large Pro, Primo, etc. mad because this guy was holding all the records for this bulbous nigger that wasn't going to do shit with them
in the words of Diamond D, "we were all beat crazy, but niggas wasn't idiots!"

Bblock
6243 posts
Sat Sep-07-13 11:22 AM

16. "after readin' this, that outburst he made on twitter"
In response to Reply # 0

against dream hampton makes sense now

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Sat Sep-07-13 06:03 PM

17. "details? hadn't heard about it"
In response to Reply # 16

PCProductions
1217 posts
Sat Sep-07-13 06:31 PM

19. "Sure you did"
In response to Reply # 17

Where Pete got mad that she called Dilla the GOAT period on twitter and Pete came back saying that she shouldn't disrespect him like that etc.

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Sat Sep-07-13 06:58 PM

20. "oh I thought Block was talking about ?uest going in on dream"
In response to Reply # 19

yeah I remember that shit
DH says a lot of shit, it wasn't worth getting mad over even if she meant it the way it looked

Member since Mar 01st 2005
9915 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 01:49 PM

23. "Wow"
In response to Reply # 0

i really loved this place.
*tear on cheek*

NO! LIST
Tom Petty
M J
Zeppelin
Springsteen
Neil Young
Eagles
Ray Charles
Madonna
Chuck Berry
South Park TV Songs
Justin Timberlake
"Food Glorious Food"
"Twilight Zone" theme
"A Boy Named Sue"
"Night Moves"
"The Situation"
"Superbowl Shuffle"

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 01:59 PM

24. ""Can it be that it was oh so simple then...""
In response to Reply # 23

be sure to check the _fact_s for how this information is being used today. The history you laid back then is working its way into the theories being written today. We owe you a lot, and try to do our best to give back as best we can.

Thanks for all your efforts, past, present and future.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Bblock
6243 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 03:24 PM

25. ""

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 04:40 PM

28. "well, damn."

>i really loved this place.
>*tear on cheek*

Bblock
6243 posts
Tue Sep-10-13 02:24 PM

30. "anchor"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #2838623 Previous topic | Next topic