Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2830447

Subject: "What sound do you think is/should be next for Upbeat R&B?" Previous topic | Next topic
-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Aug-08-13 05:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"What sound do you think is/should be next for Upbeat R&B?"

Might be a bit hard to explain, but....I have mentioned a few times on Twitter, and to people I know, that Upbeat R&B made for "the club" is basically dead. To me, I think it's extremely important to R&B and to Black music.

I can't pinpoint what year it happened, because it was extremely gradual. I feel like from NJS on, upbeat R&B was dependent on a Rap type groove 90% of the time....but we have still seen tracks like Maxwell "Ascension," Aaliyah "Rock the boat," Goapele "Closer," and more recently Beyonce "Love on top" and "Adorn" that just have a R&B feel to them more so than Rap.

What I realized is that some people tend to complain when DJ's play 90's R&B or early/mid 2000's R&B during the "early vibe" part of the night...the 10PM-11PM or so, where we're usually advised to play R&B and light Rap. I tend to get a complaint maybe 1-2 times a year, on some "you're playing all old stuff, is it 90's night?" "can you play something a bit more modern?"

Last week, I went through all of my music, and realized...there really aren't many upbeat R&B tracks that people recognize...and even the ones that us music heads know aren't always strong enough to work for a commercial type crowd. And a major reason is that there's no go-to sound that really works right now. Most trendy R&B club type songs that are 65-75 BPM are just....bland, and sound forced to me.

So in your opinion..what sound for R&B do you think is up next, if there is one? Are there any songs that you think should be bigger, or songs that have a blueprint that you think could work?

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
AMOK
Aug 08th 2013
You got examples? I'm not familiar with them
Aug 08th 2013
      RE: You got examples? I'm not familiar with them
Aug 08th 2013
           Am I trippin, or do those drums feel kinda Drum & Bass?
Aug 09th 2013
                There are so many layers of influence in them
Aug 09th 2013
                     Yea it for sure sounds different from most music I've heard, even with
Aug 09th 2013
                     RE: There are so many layers of influence in them
Aug 09th 2013
                          ehhhh
Aug 11th 2013
                               Has ''balls out'' been consistent with ''relevant'' R&B values for a lo...
Aug 11th 2013
                                    I think there's a lot of balls out-esque stuff in the artist
Aug 11th 2013
No Wave with bands
Aug 08th 2013
wow at your description
Aug 08th 2013
Yeah...there are those tracks for sure, I always play How many drinks
Aug 08th 2013
      RE: Yeah...there are those tracks for sure, I always play How many drink...
Aug 09th 2013
RE: What sound do you think is/should be next for Upbeat R&B?
Aug 08th 2013
Yea I think Miguel is gonna have a big influence on the next few years
Aug 08th 2013
      I think Miguel could blow up in bigger
Aug 08th 2013
           Yep! The death of the R&B group has had a major impact too
Aug 08th 2013
Dude. This. All of this.
Aug 08th 2013
Wow so it's not just me!! And you know what's even wilder??
Aug 08th 2013
      http://succeedinyourpajamas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/doakes.gif
Aug 08th 2013
      LMAOOOO @ the GIF!!! Hahahaa
Aug 09th 2013
           Maaaaaaaaaan....
Aug 09th 2013
                I HATE that part about it! Even with "How many drinks," I remember
Aug 09th 2013
      Dude... I'm laughing so hard right now.
Aug 10th 2013
singing over rap beats is easier to do
Aug 08th 2013
I'm sure. But man, it's completely burnt out.
Aug 08th 2013
      I don't disagree with you
Aug 09th 2013
           Yea I agree. And like I said below, I think younger folks dance to drums
Aug 09th 2013
Here's a few newer songs that I like the direction of....
Aug 08th 2013
I'm Surprised R&B Hasn't Come Up With A Watered-Down Dubstep
Aug 09th 2013
RE: I'm Surprised R&B Hasn't Come Up With A Watered-Down Dubstep
Aug 09th 2013
Okay here's a question for you as a DJ
Aug 09th 2013
What's wild is that the White/Mixed onse aren't, because a lot of
Aug 09th 2013
I was speaking more about non electronic sounds
Aug 09th 2013
      Yea for that...nah, crowds aren't too receptive. Shit, club crowds aren'...
Aug 09th 2013
           I wonder if a line in the sand has really been drawn
Aug 09th 2013
                Ehh...for the young folks, halfway...until another "Neo Soul" comes
Aug 09th 2013
                     Neo soul can't happen twice though
Aug 09th 2013
                          Yea I mean "Neo ^2 Soul" or some shit wouldn't work, but just something
Aug 12th 2013
RE: Okay here's a question for you as a DJ
Aug 09th 2013
      I don't think it's 'drifting'...
Aug 09th 2013
      this is unfortunate n/m
Aug 11th 2013
Aug 09th 2013
are young black audiences feeling aluna george?
Aug 09th 2013
For the 2000's, they did for sure. And Pharrell is bringin it back a bit
Aug 09th 2013
      RE: For the 2000's, they did for sure. And Pharrell is bringin it back a...
Aug 09th 2013
           That scene is so much different, but you know how shit goes. All it
Aug 09th 2013
                RE: That scene is so much different, but you know how shit goes. All it
Aug 09th 2013
                     Ahhh got you yeah, I can get that. And I still never made it to Icon,
Aug 09th 2013
                          RE: Ahhh got you yeah, I can get that. And I still never made it to Icon...
Aug 09th 2013
                               you out in LA?
Aug 09th 2013
I think John Legend's Green Light started a trend
Aug 09th 2013
Aug 09th 2013
I got somethin every day this weekend...I think I can try it tonight and
Aug 09th 2013
RE: I got somethin every day this weekend...I think I can try it tonight...
Aug 09th 2013
That's another of those "can you play that again?" tracks....
Aug 09th 2013
RE: That's another of those "can you play that again?" tracks....
Aug 09th 2013
      would be nice more acts have a modern take on Kashif
Aug 09th 2013
I dig this song a lot.
Aug 09th 2013
i hope for a return for a more funky upbeat kinda style
Aug 09th 2013
Very nice. Thanks, I wasn't up on this.
Aug 09th 2013
Something by Pharell
Aug 11th 2013
not sure why but a week ago I had to throw on New Edition...
Aug 11th 2013
I've actually had posts on how NJS is NEVER, ever ever sampled
Aug 12th 2013
Instead of R&B and light Rap can't you mix it up with 70s and 80s tracks
Aug 12th 2013
It aaaaaaall depends on the crowd. Questlove and them have crowds
Aug 12th 2013

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Aug-08-13 05:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "AMOK"
In response to Reply # 0

But not trying to sound like what they were doing. Making it blacker.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu Aug-08-13 06:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "You got examples? I'm not familiar with them "
In response to Reply # 1

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Aug-08-13 06:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "RE: You got examples? I'm not familiar with them "
In response to Reply # 4

Take the opening break of this... make it overall a little funkier - https://vimeo.com/60278085

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 10:13 AM

25. "Am I trippin, or do those drums feel kinda Drum & Bass?"
In response to Reply # 6

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 10:16 AM

27. "There are so many layers of influence in them"
In response to Reply # 25

I'm sure they sound different compared to what's hot, but letting go the difference them shits jam, and there's a blackness to em. Make the rest of it a little more soulful... I don't know...maybe.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 10:24 AM

29. "Yea it for sure sounds different from most music I've heard, even with"
In response to Reply # 27

the common elements I can recognize

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7008 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 03:02 PM

44. "RE: There are so many layers of influence in them"
In response to Reply # 27

so umm basically Rudimental?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M97vR2V4vTs

Jungle-y R&B

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sun Aug-11-13 07:06 AM

59. "ehhhh"
In response to Reply # 44

they're cool but not nearly funky or soulful enough. or at least not what I've heard from them. same with aluna george. i'm not looking for the cool out version i'm looking for the balls out version. yeah that probably doesn't make sense... but... lol!

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Sun Aug-11-13 08:48 AM

61. "Has ''balls out'' been consistent with ''relevant'' R&B values for a lo..."
In response to Reply # 59

As a total outsider-even more than to Hip-Hop which I've actually dug since I was a kid-it seems that the "balls out" attitude that you hear in James Brown, Wilson Pickett as well as Sly and numerous other funk-acts and even some early Prince, Rick James, the Time, Zapp etc. has not been a relevant aspect in R&B for like decades. Even the Hip-Hop inspired stuff in the 90's generally took a laid-back, "sophisticated" approach to the gritty beats. I must admit it always prevented me from truly enjoying the music because I'm kind of an "in your face"-type of guy when it comes to music...

Just wondering if you know some recent R&B that sounds "balls out" and if it is anything one should even expect at this stage...

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sun Aug-11-13 09:09 AM

62. "I think there's a lot of balls out-esque stuff in the artist"
In response to Reply # 61

It just doesn't come across as convincing and is on a musical backdrop that is equally less convincing.

Both suffer from a lack of rawness which is exemplified in the discussion of live drums below. Even within the programmed drums of R&B you don't get close to balls out with the same contrived patterns being used over and over again. It's like the Atoms for Peace drums above aren't a rehash. They are influenced by but taken to a new place that has a balls outness to it. Reducing that to jungle drums and then calling up the latest 'jungle' presets to match a trend is the antithesis of the balls outness of it.

But you look at Drake or Chris Brown or Robin Thicke oreven leg dropping Miguel and there are these attempts at being that in your face "this is that shit" r&b but it all comes off as caricature, because it's all been programmed toward an existing aesthetic.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Aug-08-13 05:53 PM

2. "No Wave with bands"
In response to Reply # 0

There's so much promise in that sound, and if you put strong singers on top of it... lawd lawd.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

6thSense
Charter member
1331 posts
Thu Aug-08-13 05:55 PM

3. "wow at your description"
In response to Reply # 0

feels like a page out of my nights some times. (lol @ "is it 90s night"? i've gotten that before)

fortunately there's a few, and i mean FEW joints out now that can get played a little later in the night... (and not that late cept for Thicke)

Blurred Lines
Get Lucky
Suit & Tie, couple other Justin jams
Miguel's "how many drinks"
Fine China
Body Party
usher's "twisted"
dip into some of Dream's older stuff specially "rockin that thang"

there's some hope... be curious to see where the rest of the year and going into next year takes us

pece,

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu Aug-08-13 06:04 PM

5. "Yeah...there are those tracks for sure, I always play How many drinks"
In response to Reply # 3

Funny thing with Blurred lines, on this topic, is that we literally HAVE TO play Old School songs just to get to that BPM, unless we blend a 60BPM with it. I damn near gotta Chubb Rock or somethin just to get to 120.

I do think that Timbaland sound is good for the upbeat, but damn it's HARD to imitate a Strawberry bubblegum LOL.

It feels like there will be a few tracks here n there like those you mentioned, and a Chris Brown "Strip" that can work in the prime time, but even with that, it feels like we use those early OR late in the night, and not right next to a "Versace" or "R.I.P." main Rap tracks. I figure that in 95, you would hear "This is how we do it" and "Candy rain" right next to the hot Rap tracks, OR either those songs were bigger than the Rap club hits at the time.

OldPro
Member since Dec 10th 2002
34401 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 01:47 PM

40. "RE: Yeah...there are those tracks for sure, I always play How many drink..."
In response to Reply # 5
Fri Aug-09-13 01:49 PM by OldPro

>Funny thing with Blurred lines, on this topic, is that we
>literally HAVE TO play Old School songs just to get to that
>BPM, unless we blend a 60BPM with it. I damn near gotta Chubb
>Rock or somethin just to get to 120.

Which is why I hate spinning mainstream black clubs in the states now.. There's a gang of new 120+ stuff out there but it's usually filed under house or electronic even though it sounds just like most old school R&B. But you try throwing down some Joey Negro in a popular black club and you'll get all sorts of crazy looks... now throw this type of shit in a mix with some old school at a mixed or mostly white club and folks will pack that dance floor.

Luke Cage
Member since Dec 14th 2005
3047 posts
Thu Aug-08-13 06:39 PM

7. "RE: What sound do you think is/should be next for Upbeat R&B?"
In response to Reply # 0

I think we will get more of that Miguel type of R&B in the next few years. Stuff that has a little more movement but is still appealing to a Black audience. Because he had a breakout year I think we'll see more artist trying to find their way to that lane.

What I would like to see is a exactly what you are talking about. More upbeat stuff and I don't just mean dance heavy shit. Something that makes you bob your head and has some kick to it. It's been a long time since there has been a consistent amount of R&B that had that kind of feeling to me.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu Aug-08-13 07:10 PM

8. "Yea I think Miguel is gonna have a big influence on the next few years"
In response to Reply # 7

And yeah...I think that lane of R&B just needs to be revived, and for the 21-35 crowd and not just 40, 45+ year olds...they have plenty Charlie Wilson types available LOL

Luke Cage
Member since Dec 14th 2005
3047 posts
Thu Aug-08-13 07:45 PM

9. "I think Miguel could blow up in bigger"
In response to Reply # 8

In the next couple of years. He's not so separate from Hip Hop that you can't see him doing a song with Kendrick or Wiz like he has but at the same time he's not trying to be a rapper. That's what I think R&B needs. Singers who are comfortable being singers but still have some edge to them. Even if you see him live he has a really exciting, lively kind of edgy show.

>And yeah...I think that lane of R&B just needs to be revived,
>and for the 21-35 crowd and not just 40, 45+ year olds...they
>have plenty Charlie Wilson types available LOL

Exactly. It has to be something for the young generation. My generation is done! At least most people my age can remember New Jack Swing or shit even Funk. R&B needs to get the young black male back without the whole R&B thug bullshit. Just some shit that bangs that dudes wouldn't be ashamed to say yeah I fuck with that.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu Aug-08-13 09:39 PM

14. "Yep! The death of the R&B group has had a major impact too"
In response to Reply # 9

Pretty Ricky is seriously the last R&B group that had some kind of impact....that's super sad.

Miguel could def get bigger, especially if he keeps the heaters coming.

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Thu Aug-08-13 09:20 PM

10. "Dude. This. All of this."
In response to Reply # 0

>I tend to get a complaint
>maybe 1-2 times a year, on some "you're playing all old stuff,
>is it 90's night?" "can you play something a bit more modern?"

I gig at a place that if the owner is in the building, all I can spin is the 10-11 stuff, regardless of the time of night. And I fall into this problem ALL the time. My go to line that I give people is "to break it down for you, using Drake as an example.... I can play 'Take Care' right now. I cannot play 'Started From the Bottom.'"

But as to your actual question, I feel like this neo-disco/70s groove revival that we're experiencing thanks to "Get Lucky" and "Blurred Lines" and "Fine China" and the somewhat dominance of Miguel and Bruno is gonna bless us with some nice "light club" material. Even stuff like that Arianna Grande track being a hit I feel like is gonna open up R&B again.

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu Aug-08-13 09:29 PM

12. "Wow so it's not just me!! And you know what's even wilder??"
In response to Reply # 10

9/10, it's a 30+ person, USUALLY a woman who complains too!!!!

A dude NYE was trippin on my best friend at 10:30, and said "we gon leave if he keep playin this 90's shit." AT 10:30!!! Buy her a drink and shut the hell up!

But yeah man, people don't understand....like, I do have enough newer R&B to play, BUT...most is bland, wack, super trendy, and most importantly, unrecognizable! I'm sure folks are tired of hearing a "Candy rain" or "Real love" all the time, but it's about what folks can sing along to, along with what's just straight quality.

>I gig at a place that if the owner is in the building, all I
>can spin is the 10-11 stuff, regardless of the time of night.
>And I fall into this problem ALL the time. My go to line that
>I give people is "to break it down for you, using Drake as an
>example.... I can play 'Take Care' right now. I cannot play
>'Started From the Bottom.'"

Yep...and for the spots I do that are like Rap/R&B only, it limits me even more because "Take care" was like the Top 40 song to them.

>But as to your actual question, I feel like this neo-disco/70s
>groove revival that we're experiencing thanks to "Get Lucky"
>and "Blurred Lines" and "Fine China" and the somewhat
>dominance of Miguel and Bruno is gonna bless us with some nice
>"light club" material. Even stuff like that Arianna Grande
>track being a hit I feel like is gonna open up R&B again.

I do think this might catch on more. Even "Fine China" wasn't as big as I thought it would be, but it's in the right direction for sure. I've actually never played a Bruno track, but I would for sure to a mixed/Top 40 crowd.

CaptNish
14495 posts
Thu Aug-08-13 10:08 PM

16. "http://succeedinyourpajamas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/doakes.gif"
In response to Reply # 12

http://succeedinyourpajamas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/doakes.gif

>9/10, it's a 30+ person, USUALLY a woman who complains
>too!!!!

Damn near EV.ER.RY.TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol And I get it. Like, they want to hear the hot shit before they have to go home all early and shit, but like, "ma'am... it is not my fault you can't stay out till when the crowd gets here." hahaha

>I do think this might catch on more. Even "Fine China" wasn't
>as big as I thought it would be, but it's in the right
>direction for sure. I've actually never played a Bruno track,
>but I would for sure to a mixed/Top 40 crowd.

That new(er) Bruno jam, "Treasure" plays right in to that whole feel and has made it's way into my rotation, but I hear ya.

I always try working in shit that I'm like, "This shit's like the shit you like" tracks (like, a few years back I was big on using Chromeo in that regard), but every time, since they don't know it, they ain't feelin' it. It all comes back to something I said drunkenly to someone one night. I questioned whether or not regular folk actually like music, or if they just like recognition. That sounds clinical right there, but when I beer yelled it at some chick I said "How the fuck do you ever find new music to listen to if you only listen to shit you know!?" heh

_

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 09:57 AM

21. "LMAOOOO @ the GIF!!! Hahahaa"
In response to Reply # 16

>http://succeedinyourpajamas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/doakes.gif
>
>>9/10, it's a 30+ person, USUALLY a woman who complains
>>too!!!!
>
>Damn near EV.ER.RY.TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol And I get
>it. Like, they want to hear the hot shit before they have to
>go home all early and shit, but like, "ma'am... it is not my
>fault you can't stay out till when the crowd gets here."
>hahaha

Yeaaa good point! OR...."I'm sorry that hearing songs from the 90's make you feel old, because you were my age when that shit was hot!!!" At least a few women told me that too...said that hearing certain old songs makes them feel old...they wanna hear new music to feel young. BUT...they only know radio-new songs, so eh..they need to stay at home LOL.

>
>>I do think this might catch on more. Even "Fine China"
>wasn't
>>as big as I thought it would be, but it's in the right
>>direction for sure. I've actually never played a Bruno
>track,
>>but I would for sure to a mixed/Top 40 crowd.
>
>That new(er) Bruno jam, "Treasure" plays right in to that
>whole feel and has made it's way into my rotation, but I hear
>ya.
>
>I always try working in shit that I'm like, "This shit's like
>the shit you like" tracks (like, a few years back I was big on
>using Chromeo in that regard), but every time, since they
>don't know it, they ain't feelin' it. It all comes back to
>something I said drunkenly to someone one night. I questioned
>whether or not regular folk actually like music, or if they
>just like recognition. That sounds clinical right there, but
>when I beer yelled it at some chick I said "How the fuck do
>you ever find new music to listen to if you only listen to
>shit you know!?" heh

Yeah my boy loves Treasure, I actually just need to try it. I have wanted to try Tuxedo songs, but was never bold enough aside from at 9:40PM one time.

Man...the thing about it now is that DJ's don't, or can't, break new music how we used to. It sounds hella 2013/young, but I feel like when a new song trends on Twitter, it might be a hit, and that I can probably play it at my next spot and expect the crowd to know it already. You already know how they are...they hear a new song and stop dancing, even questioning us...but a month later, they're begging for it.

CaptNish
14495 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 10:03 AM

22. "Maaaaaaaaaan...."
In response to Reply # 21

>but a month later, they're begging for it.

... I took "Blurred Lines" *OUT* of my rotation because non one was feeling it. Then one day everyone was requesting it on some "I don't know if you have this song or not, but...." tip. And I was losing my shit. Like, 'You mean the song I played for 2 months that none of y'all wanted to hear?" lol

_

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 10:12 AM

24. "I HATE that part about it! Even with "How many drinks," I remember"
In response to Reply # 22

playing it at a spot and a group of girls right in front of me saying "turn this shit off" and giving me the cut throat signal. And a month later, the whole club was dancing to it.

I can say that I can tell what songs will usually work before they know them, especially with my L.A. native and HBCU crowds. Best shit ever was playing "Rack city" the day I found it, in July 2011. I was like "Tyga doesn't get much love, but this shit is just a hit" and I dropped it at 11:30....people were like "ayyy, play this again later!" You can play anything on that Mustard tip here, even if they don't know it...but for R&B songs, it's always a huge gamble.

The thing with "Blurred lines" is that I can tell it wasn't gonna be an instant grab. It's 120 BPM, and with the obvious Marvin drums, it sounds completely different from everything else...it's hard to even play it after a new song, especially for a Rap/R&B only crowd. I remember my other DJ telling me to play it back in May, and I was like "ehh...I don't know....." but it worked, I guess that's right when it got poppin.

CaptNish
14495 posts
Sat Aug-10-13 08:11 PM

57. "Dude... I'm laughing so hard right now."
In response to Reply # 12

I just had to explain to this middle aged woman why I wouldn't play the "Wobble" at 9 o clock. lol

_

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Thu Aug-08-13 09:28 PM

11. "singing over rap beats is easier to do"
In response to Reply # 0

the beats don't have much to them so it's easy to get a groove off on them and they don't take long to make

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu Aug-08-13 09:37 PM

13. "I'm sure. But man, it's completely burnt out."
In response to Reply # 11

>the beats don't have much to them so it's easy to get a
>groove off on them and they don't take long to make

Since the South, Mike Will Lex style has taken over, it just doesn't work with R&B. Almost ZERO true R&B hits at that tempo. Tracks like "Bottoms up" and "Lil freak" got a bit of love, but burnt out FAST. I can say I have hope with the Mustard template, once they add more instrumentation.

As for the "Killing me softly" lane where they Rap over a straight up Hip Hop classic....I have got 35-40 songs where it's R&B artists, a lot of major ones too, singing over 80's and 90's Hip Hop classic beats....and literally NONE, none of them have even halfway become big. The last was possibly "Let it go" from Keyshia, and even that was just the drum beat....the instrumentation was all fresh.

Mary J had one on Triumph, Keyshia has one, Monica has one or two, Ray Robinson is unknown but had a decent one on "I ain't no joke"....and eh. Of course in 95-96 this was hot, but that has failed.

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 09:30 AM

18. "I don't disagree with you"
In response to Reply # 13

but people don't want to hear that yet, they have to be convinced that it's a good idea before they will support it

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 10:06 AM

23. "Yea I agree. And like I said below, I think younger folks dance to drums"
In response to Reply # 18

>but people don't want to hear that yet, they have to be
>convinced that it's a good idea before they will support it

moreso than Basslines and melodies, so it's a challenge

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu Aug-08-13 09:48 PM

15. "Here's a few newer songs that I like the direction of...."
In response to Reply # 0

John Michael "Sophisticated lady" - Definitely a page out of the "Excuse me miss" book but hella smooth. Wish it got bigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlujJR0h9aI

Terrace Marin "In the sheets" - He's rap/rap singin on it, which is annoying, but if Lloyd had kept it for himself? It coulda been big (maybe not but I wish). Has that "Do it til you're satisfied" template

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHwh0Y9gpPY

I got a few more I will list when I get home and go through my songs.

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 12:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "I'm Surprised R&B Hasn't Come Up With A Watered-Down Dubstep"
In response to Reply # 0

...style for the clubs, I wouldn't be surprised that the UK has already done this with remixes and grime but in the US it's probably still experimental or too hard for the urban crowd.

Personally I dug the whole edm style r&b was doing for a while but they were all after the same three producers (Dave Guetta, Will.I.Am, & Swedish House Mafia ) or the same sound by finding kats who could reproduce it but wouldn't take it to even higher and better levels.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

double 0
7008 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 02:56 PM

42. "RE: I'm Surprised R&B Hasn't Come Up With A Watered-Down Dubstep"
In response to Reply # 17

well isn't Trap.. watered down Dub-Step? lol

And America IS STILL doing Dubby wobbles and drops in pop songs so it's gonne be a while...

I do like what Baauer did with this tho.. good ol Timbo Shuffle

https://soundcloud.com/baauer/disclosure-you-me-ft-eliza

Also this http://vimeo.com/63674054

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 09:33 AM

19. "Okay here's a question for you as a DJ"
In response to Reply # 0

Do you think young audiences are completely non-receptive to live instrumentation at this point?

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 09:47 AM

20. "What's wild is that the White/Mixed onse aren't, because a lot of "
In response to Reply # 19

Dubstep/EDM/Trapsetp has a lot of songs with zero lyrics, or not much lyrics aside from "And do the Harlem shake."

Black ones are non-receptive to it, though. And it's wild, I JUUUST just thought about that when I made my mix called "My melody" because I'm a music head....and 4-5 songs have breakdowns for a good 8-16 bars of just music. And I was like "yeah...only my 30, 35+ folks are gonna like this" because young folks have to be able to Rap/sing along to it.

Another observation...I feel that young folks dance more to the drums, which are never ever acoustic anymore, while older, 30+ dance more to the bassline.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 10:14 AM

26. "I was speaking more about non electronic sounds"
In response to Reply # 20

made with instruments over machines.... but that's an interesting observation as well. Gotta hook em.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 10:21 AM

28. "Yea for that...nah, crowds aren't too receptive. Shit, club crowds aren'..."
In response to Reply # 26

too receptive to live instruments on songs period.

Even the more "R&B-R&B" songs like "Love on top" are synthy...as is an "Adorn." "Blurred lines" is an exception for sure. "Suit & tie" has heavy Bass under the 70's glass.

More acoustic sounding upbeat music only works for the 30+, mainly stepper type songs.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 10:57 AM

30. "I wonder if a line in the sand has really been drawn"
In response to Reply # 28

as in there's no going back?

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 11:16 AM

31. "Ehh...for the young folks, halfway...until another "Neo Soul" comes"
In response to Reply # 30

And only select young folks were even into an Erykah "I want you" type of song, especially as a club song. But tracks like Musiq "Just friends" were close to acoustic, aside from the drums, and got love...still gets love, too. I think that sound is timeless though, it just takes a few artists and hits to happen in that lane for it to open up.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 11:21 AM

32. "Neo soul can't happen twice though"
In response to Reply # 31

As in if it comes around again it will be throwback not for new ears. It's weird but I really do wonder.

It's different from say rock where sure there's the 'industrial' side of things which goes through its popularity swings, and I"m sure a lot of rock fans dabble down the EDM road for pleasure. BUt they can always go back to the bread and butter bands as 'new'. I honestly think it may be a (w)rap for bread and butter R&B, soul and black music in general (<<< see what I did there). At least until fully electronic 'bands' emerge with something completely different at which point perhaps they can reapply the bread and butter aesthetics.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Aug-12-13 05:14 PM

67. "Yea I mean "Neo ^2 Soul" or some shit wouldn't work, but just something"
In response to Reply # 32

with a parallel in the instruments and structure, since some of the artists from that era are still here, and even some newer artists have a similar sound at times. Just that most of it feels too much like "Grown folks music" such as a "So in love" from Anthony Hamilton and Jill Scott.

I don't think it's necessarily a (w)rap, but just that whatever is next will always be a bit dependent on Rap when it comes to R&B. I just hope it grows from a good part of Rap. It's been this way since NJS...even how a Ghost Town DJ's "My boo" was just a R&B version of the Miami Bass stuff that never really had singing on it before 95-96.

double 0
7008 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 01:38 PM

39. "RE: Okay here's a question for you as a DJ"
In response to Reply # 19

well...

Daft Punk Get Lucky is live guitar, drums, bass etc....
Bruno Treasure is live guitar...

When u talk about live anything I think you mean drums... even in non black events the drums have to be TIGHT... no one is dancing to drifting drums anymore... so if they are live they gotta be pretty close to quantized 90-100%

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 08:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
56. "I don't think it's 'drifting'..."
In response to Reply # 39

I think it's the tone of live drums that people object too. You can quantize live sounding drums too....

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sun Aug-11-13 07:07 AM

60. "this is unfortunate n/m"
In response to Reply # 39

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

double 0
7008 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 11:48 AM

33. "RE: What sound do you think is/should be next for Upbeat R&B?"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean... don't the Neptunes own this space though??

100-120 is easy... some Kenna, Robin Thicke, Pharrell etc....

Or make your own... lol

like ->> https://soundcloud.com/double0music/diamond-city-remix-bootleg

I think the Racthet/Twerk sound will influence R&B more as well... but not in the wack Trey Songz way

Also see -> Aluna George

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 11:51 AM

34. "are young black audiences feeling aluna george?"
In response to Reply # 33

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 12:06 PM

35. "For the 2000's, they did for sure. And Pharrell is bringin it back a bit"
In response to Reply # 33

What's Kenna?

But nah, it's really not many 100-120 R&B hits in the last 1-2 years, after the obvious Blurred lines, Suit & tie, Fina China.

I mean....I'm comparing it to years like 95, and even some years in the 2000's, when there was WAY way way more than just 2-3 big R&B hits at a time.

I do think the L.A. Ratchet sound has a LOT of potential if they had more musicianship to it.

double 0
7008 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 01:28 PM

37. "RE: For the 2000's, they did for sure. And Pharrell is bringin it back a..."
In response to Reply # 35

You gotta get OUT son!!

lol

Nah but for real so much music in the space right now...

Kenna -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKEWsijB5AU
Jessse Boykins -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JHZvzeH0lA
Aluna George -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmXZuv5BaHg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkk2H3Ztrfk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PycH6rNPjnw

You should ALSO be up on the entire EDM Twerk shit... it's killing and I can even play it Bridge & tunnel (I.E. & valley) parties like Red Cup Sundays at Icon and kill

https://soundcloud.com/twrk/volume-one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8wQM8QDLkY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqxKCY7zz_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2It5FZC9QKI

There is way more but I am not near my Dj drive and lazy

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 01:36 PM

38. "That scene is so much different, but you know how shit goes. All it"
In response to Reply # 37

takes is for one commercial artist/producer to bring those type folks into the mainstream, and everybody will be on their "I was a fan of them before they have !!!" as always.

I know Jesse Boykins music a bit, mainly the slower tracks he has though. I haven't been to any parties out there on the I.E. side, especially not clubs...our last out-of-L.A. club experiences were at The Boogie in 2006!

double 0
7008 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 02:14 PM

41. "RE: That scene is so much different, but you know how shit goes. All it"
In response to Reply # 38

Nah "Bridge & Tunnel" is an NYC term for like spot on Fri/Sat where the suburbs and "corny" 9-5ers flood the city and hit up super big clubs that play top 40 and run-of-the-mil hits... Since there are no Bridges or Tunnels I just relate the term to people east of the LA River (even though hipsters are tryna take Boyle heights) and the Valley.. lol

I agree though it is different.. I can't do that hood shit..

Icon is right across from staple center though

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 03:04 PM

45. "Ahhh got you yeah, I can get that. And I still never made it to Icon,"
In response to Reply # 41

my folks did it for a few weeks last Summer. I hear a lot of mixed reviews on it as a whole. What area do you live in?

double 0
7008 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 03:12 PM

49. "RE: Ahhh got you yeah, I can get that. And I still never made it to Icon..."
In response to Reply # 45

K Town.. closest energy to NY in LA I think... DTLA is close but them zombies after 2am man.. can't fuck with the zombies

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

2Future4U
Charter member
3346 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 08:04 PM

55. "you out in LA?"
In response to Reply # 49

ever check out those Arch Rival warehouse parties....MAN

https://www.instagram.com/christiancgarrido/

Hussein ibn Malik "if he escaped on a horse he might be realest nigga ever, EVER..2013 Nat Turner with the burner"

MaxPtah "Django is real homie.."

PoppaGeorge "If you're a child of the 70's, Ye looks like

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 12:23 PM

36. "I think John Legend's Green Light started a trend"
In response to Reply # 0

I think people saw with that track how well an uptempo R&B song goes over at a party.

Add Bruno Mars Treasure to the Get Lucky, Blurred Lines, Fine China list and you see a trend of R&B tracks that you can really dance , sing along with and have fun with.

I think Mayer Hawthorne's Corsican Rose should get radio play and fall in this lane.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

double 0
7008 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 02:59 PM

43. "RE: What sound do you think is/should be next for Upbeat R&B?"
In response to Reply # 0

If you are DJing this weekend let me know how THIS rings off

Drake shit -> http://snd.sc/13i6Noh

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 03:05 PM

46. "I got somethin every day this weekend...I think I can try it tonight and"
In response to Reply # 43

tomorrow. Wouldn't try it Monday, that's one of the few hood/Turnt crowds I'll be doing this year LOL

double 0
7008 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 03:10 PM

48. "RE: I got somethin every day this weekend...I think I can try it tonight..."
In response to Reply # 46

yea.. Don't.. lol

I wonder how the hood would react to this Snoop Dubstep song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQyw9jbVO-w

It's so weird that the Hood didn't embrace Dubstep.. So much moshing an restless energy like NWA

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

CaptNish
14495 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 03:08 PM

47. "That's another of those "can you play that again?" tracks...."

People in my area are F-E-E-L-I-N-G that lol

_

double 0
7008 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 03:26 PM

50. "RE: That's another of those "can you play that again?" tracks...."
In response to Reply # 47

Drake gon' bring Kashif back

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

2Future4U
Charter member
3346 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 07:30 PM

54. "would be nice more acts have a modern take on Kashif"
In response to Reply # 50

I see Onra and Dam Funk doing stuff like this.Alot of that modern soul stuff just KILLS it at Funkmosphere and The Do Over ( before Do Over went in a different direction )

Hussein ibn Malik "if he escaped on a horse he might be realest nigga ever, EVER..2013 Nat Turner with the burner"

stankpalmer
Member since Dec 16th 2003
6840 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 06:34 PM

51. "I dig this song a lot. "

I haven't tried it out yet, but I think it would flow well with some AlunaGeorge. Maybe that's the gateway.

------
so...if you're into DJing or nightlife...
or DJing AND nightlife...
peep Opening Set Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/openingset

also remixes: http://jonreyes.bandcamp.com

@stankpalmer

2Future4U
Charter member
3346 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 07:18 PM

53. "i hope for a return for a more funky upbeat kinda style"
In response to Reply # 51
Fri Aug-09-13 07:19 PM by 2Future4U

i think Chris Brown had it with "Fine China" which reminds me of the track below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEPp4WBh7oQ

third_i_vision
Charter member
7818 posts
Fri Aug-09-13 07:16 PM

52. "Very nice. Thanks, I wasn't up on this."

This sounds like it could've been on Onra's Long Distance album. It'd be crazy if this track got major play for the next couple months.

Bowls
http://twitter.com/Bowls615

Coco la chapelle
Member since Sep 17th 2006
3019 posts
Sun Aug-11-13 01:54 AM

58. "Something by Pharell "
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Aug-11-13 02:01 AM by Coco la chapelle

Those collabo with Mayer Hawthorne for example.
"reach out richard", "Wine Glass Woman", "Backseat lover" I dont know if they're all upbeat though.

I could also see a R&B artist rock some deep soul or soulful house and make it work in the "non house" clubs. Something like that but new :

http://youtu.be/Z0wDEofQPro

Actually Chris Brown did it already with the fantastic "Beautiful People" but it didn't start a trend.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Sun Aug-11-13 06:26 PM

63. "not sure why but a week ago I had to throw on New Edition..."
In response to Reply # 0

If It Isnt Love... then I went to BBD's Poison...

I wish R&B would go in that direction again... New Editions up tempo shit strictly for the dance floor.

I would love to hear a hybrid of the late 80s R&B.....and more of that Dap Kings old soul but with some young cat like Miguel or Chris Brown singing over it.

Im sick of the 4 on the floor tho.. I love house music but this Daft Punk shit aint the move. I liked Get Lucky but it was short lived. Its boring now...

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Aug-12-13 05:10 PM

66. "I've actually had posts on how NJS is NEVER, ever ever sampled"
In response to Reply # 63

And if so, it'll be a take on "Night & day" or "Piece of my love" "Let's chill" aka the slower songs.

Nick Cannon sampled "Poison" but you rarely hear it sampled for whatever reason. I think the drums were SO fresh at the time, that they sound too much of the time now, and younger crowds wouldn't even know how to react to the overall swing to it and the drum sounds.

One thing people don't notice though, is that as much energy as NJS had....the chords, changes, bridges, and structure of the songs was AMAZING on some tracks. I like how The Business, who did Chris Brown's "Strip" tend to have some actual musicianship in their ubpeat songs...some of it is minor stuff that only folks like us will catch, but they'll throw some chords in there to have me like "ohhh damn!"

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Mon Aug-12-13 02:51 PM

64. "Instead of R&B and light Rap can't you mix it up with 70s and 80s tracks"
In response to Reply # 0

One thing I notice about Questlove when he dj's is that he mixes it up with tracks you just wouldn't expect to hear but still get the party going.

I mean I was at this party with half old white folks and young hip black folks and dude throws on Phil Collin's Easy Lover, Billy Ocean Carribean Queen and Janet Jackson's pleasure principle and had EVERYONE in the house rocking early in the night.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Aug-12-13 05:02 PM

65. "It aaaaaaall depends on the crowd. Questlove and them have crowds"
In response to Reply # 64

that are open to this...I do every once in a while, but not nearly as often.

One thing about it is, most club heads are NOT music heads. I have spots where I literally can't get away with ANYTHING before the 90's except for a "Before I let go" at 1:45. The 21-25 or even 25-30 "Urban" spots just want it to feel new and trendy, vs a Kiss-n-Grind or Do Over where you can mix it up and go any direction. I'm slowly trying to get into that lane, though...I feel too limited just playing newer stuff.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2830447 Previous topic | Next topic