Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2829214

Subject: "2Pac "All Eyez On Me" as a double album..." Previous topic | Next topic
-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 07:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Poll question: 2Pac "All Eyez On Me" as a double album..."

Just curious. I know most folks here feel it's bloated, overrated, etc etc, but I never knew if that meant they think it's wack, average, or still a solid/decent album.

Before any votes go in, I'm going to assume B gets the most votes, followed by C, then A. But who knows...The Lesson stays full of surprises!

Poll result (28 votes)
Grade A. 5/5 or 4.5/5. Classic or near classic. (8 votes)Vote
Grade B. 4/5. Good solid album (5 votes)Vote
Grade C. 3/5 or 3.5/5. Decent, average album, nothing near special (13 votes)Vote
Grade D. 2/5 or 2.5/5. Below average, not quite wack. (1 votes)Vote
Grade F. 0/5, 1/5, etc....horrible album. I hate it! (1 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
it's solid
Aug 05th 2013
That's what most folks here say. To me, the second disc would still
Aug 05th 2013
      second disc would be a 2, to symbolize how many good joints are on it
Aug 05th 2013
Classic album, 5 out of 5. A trend setting album.
Aug 05th 2013
what trends were set? bloated double-albums with songs for each demo?
Aug 05th 2013
Pac was the innovator who set the trend for the Hip Hop double cd
Aug 06th 2013
      RE: Pac was the innovator who set the trend for the Hip Hop double cd
Aug 06th 2013
           Cube did the West Coast rapper & East Coast production but not double lo...
Aug 07th 2013
the hiphop dbl album would go on to be a good trend or bad?
Aug 06th 2013
That's not true
Aug 06th 2013
      Nope.
Aug 06th 2013
           Both of those could have worked better as one disc BUT...
Aug 07th 2013
lol.
Aug 06th 2013
where THIS nigga come from?
Aug 06th 2013
      You typing wrong and you ain't saying nothing, lol.
Aug 07th 2013
           IT hasn't happened to YOU. but it can and will.
Aug 07th 2013
Average yo, now the hits and a few other tracks were cool
Aug 05th 2013
exactly, singles save it really, Pac sounds like he cut all the vocals
Aug 05th 2013
      and Pac whatever and anything to just get out of that contract
Aug 06th 2013
I voted red
Aug 05th 2013
Solid Album
Aug 05th 2013
I voted green.
Aug 06th 2013
Likr every double album in hip hop history...
Aug 06th 2013
..almost an EP, really.
Aug 06th 2013
And that EP is all on the Greatest Hits with less Thug Passion
Aug 06th 2013
      yessir.
Aug 06th 2013
basically.
Aug 06th 2013
green
Aug 06th 2013
I Voted Green = Decent Album But One Of His Best Albums
Aug 06th 2013
This reason is why I Voted Green^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Aug 06th 2013
unlike most doubles tho, most fans could agree on the keepers
Aug 06th 2013
This is definitely one of those acclaimed albums that I never liked...
Aug 06th 2013
The hype made it huge for sure for sure. But it had enough of the right
Aug 07th 2013
      I can accept this explanation.
Aug 07th 2013
      You're right, All Eyez' is a definitely a product of its time
Aug 07th 2013
when this dropped there wasn't anything fuckn w/ it
Aug 07th 2013
the only track that i really liked was whats your phone number
Aug 08th 2013

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 08:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "it's solid"
In response to Reply # 0

i have to skip too many tracks. especially on disc 2

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 08:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "That's what most folks here say. To me, the second disc would still"
In response to Reply # 1

be a 3.5/5 album on it's own. Only "Can't c me" would really be a standout like that, but I think the songs on there all serve purpose. This disc always felt perfect just for regular cruisin, BBQ's, etc etc...I never felt like it was all just filler. However, I don't really listen to it much, not nearly as much as a Dogg Food or even Rhythmalism, when it comes to album cuts that still go hard.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 10:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "second disc would be a 2, to symbolize how many good joints are on it"
In response to Reply # 2

Picture Me Rollin & the title track.

That's the list.

That's it, that's all, 'Yo Estuvo'(c)Kid Frost

Can't C Me is paint-by-numbers-P-Funk-meet-G-funk/what's-my-name-style shit & Pac's just shouting a bunch of boring-ass recycled rhymes going nowhere over it.

Bop Gun might be better than this & that song is universally shit on.

Cube lived tho.

gritty
Member since Jan 25th 2013
1574 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 08:43 PM

3. "Classic album, 5 out of 5. A trend setting album."
In response to Reply # 0

2pac forever changed the Hip Hop game with those 2 discs. The album has both great song writing and excellent production. And the cool thing about it iis everyone from the artists to the producers brought their A+ game.

Classic album without a question or doubt; no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 10:47 PM

6. "what trends were set? bloated double-albums with songs for each demo?"
In response to Reply # 3

what subsequent rap greatness was born from this template?

Big doing the superior version of this iffy format then getting martyred himself shortly thereafter?

80-minute-length Snoop, Busta & Fabolous albums in the late 90s/early-00s? We thank the rap gods for those blessings.

Thugged out R&B crooning on choruses? Snoop features? Nate Dogg? g-funk? Wait, no....all that stuff had already been happening.

Pretty much any actually good-to-great record on here is on the Greatest Hits double with far less filler, which makes sense because Pac was more a singles/songs artist than an album one.

gritty
1574 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 01:51 AM

10. "Pac was the innovator who set the trend for the Hip Hop double cd"
In response to Reply # 6

He broke new ground with that double cd.

2pac was the first rapper to put out a double cd. All Eyez On Me even influenced Big to do a double cd. Another thing that makes that album so influential are the features. Before All Eyez On Me was released, it was unheard of for a rapper with a solo album to have features outside of a crew he ran with or was cool with. Pac changed the game with that. It's like an unofficial standard for a nigga with an album today to have guest features now.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 05:02 AM

12. "RE: Pac was the innovator who set the trend for the Hip Hop double cd"
In response to Reply # 10

>He broke new ground with that double cd.
>
because he was the first artist there at the moment hip-hop became financially viable enough in the corporate sphere that you could do a double-album, as every other major popular genre had already been doing for decades?

>2pac was the first rapper to put out a double cd.

k.

All Eyez On
>Me even influenced Big to do a double cd.
Sure, however Big being a better rapper influenced his double-CD being a far better album even if that too could have been trimmed.

Another thing that
>makes that album so influential are the features. Before All
>Eyez On Me was released, it was unheard of for a rapper with a
>solo album to have features outside of a crew he ran with or
>was cool with. Pac changed the game with that.

Ice Cube did that 7 years earlier, with better results.

Pac got basically his Death Row crew that was assigned to him, his weed carrier crew, some Bay looks from the D.U. days, r&b singers & then Meth/Red who were the biggest duo in the game at the time.

Not to mention Meth was already on Big's debut, with better MC interplay & a better song.

The collabs on this feel like throw-ins, his best collab stuff was still 'Gotta Get Mine' with Breed or 'I Get Around'.

And why don't albums like Har

It's like an
>unofficial standard for a nigga with an album today to have
>guest features now.

nah that was already being done, however once albums got bloated out to two & each feature became a marketing scheme you had Busta with Ozzy and the like.

gritty
1574 posts
Wed Aug-07-13 09:27 PM

36. "Cube did the West Coast rapper & East Coast production but not double lo..."
In response to Reply # 12

Pac was the first one on that double Hip Hop lp shit with Biggie, Wu, Bone, Scarface and even Master P following the trend after he did it.

And that guest feature shit was not being done on the way Pac did with AEOM. Niggas back then were much more on their on shit and the crew they ran with then. But it was unheard to have that many guest features back then in the game but now it's expected with a nigga's album.

Of course Pac was working with the niggas on the label he signed with, that's a given lol.

Niggas in here trying to rewrite the game but All Eyez Me is a classic, period.

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 03:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "the hiphop dbl album would go on to be a good trend or bad? "
In response to Reply # 3

bad. very bad.

-------------------------
“Floyd Mayweather should be taking fights up to 157 or 160 pounds...His frame can hold the weight..it's not even a lot of weight....Go to the gym and lift weights man..lol.”-- Warren Coolidge

gritty
1574 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 05:10 AM

13. "That's not true"
In response to Reply # 11

UGK's double album is excellent as is Scarface's and Biggie's too. Bones Thugs had a solid double release as well.

Besides how other rappers double albums turned out Pac had no control over, lol.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36962 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 07:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "Nope."
In response to Reply # 13

Biggie's
>too. Bones Thugs had a solid double release as well.

No on both accounts. Both would have bee better as 1 disc.

https://digife.com

gritty
1574 posts
Wed Aug-07-13 09:17 PM

34. "Both of those could have worked better as one disc BUT..."
In response to Reply # 15

Biggie's was still an excellent album with just a hiccup here or there. Bones was a bit bloated but still solid. I forgot to mention the Wu, there's was great too minus Black Shampoo.

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 08:44 AM

16. "lol."
In response to Reply # 3

no.

no to ALL of that.

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 06:01 PM

26. "where THIS nigga come from?"
In response to Reply # 3

>2pac forever changed the Hip Hop game with those 2 discs.

he showed that you could make people pay twice for one album and double your sales, thus going platinum while selling less units
other than that you're on some other shit

> The
>album has both great song writing and excellent production.

if you call C-level beats with impeccable mixing from Quik on them 'ecxellent production' then maybe
most of the music on this album was extremely amateurish and not very well thought out, and it didn't help that Pac would rap on anything
and in regards to great songwriting, this isn't the album to make that point with

>And the cool thing about it iis everyone from the artists to
>the producers brought their A+ game.
>

you must have an unreleased copy or some shit because most of this shit sounds phoned in and thrown together after the fact

>Classic album without a question or doubt; no ifs, ands or
>buts about it.

here's a question, a doubt, and if, an and, a but AND a fuck you to boot, whoreson

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

gritty
1574 posts
Wed Aug-07-13 09:10 PM

32. "You typing wrong and you ain't saying nothing, lol."
In response to Reply # 26

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Wed Aug-07-13 09:22 PM

35. "IT hasn't happened to YOU. but it can and will. "
In response to Reply # 32

remember that

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 10:35 PM

5. "Average yo, now the hits and a few other tracks were cool"
In response to Reply # 0

however after "Me against the World" this is 3 steps backs on a whole.

problem is he was just going through the motions on Death row.

to me only Snoop Dogg and Dr Dre should have put out a double CD on Death Row IMO.

i dig pac and think He is an All time Great, however a 2 disc set like this didn't add nothing to him.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 11:11 PM

8. "exactly, singles save it really, Pac sounds like he cut all the vocals"
In response to Reply # 5

in a week, all businesslike in that Death Row Pac persona endlessly traversing over that same thug/pain lame terrain and for him not even sounding all that invested.

Pac knew he just needed a few hits sprinkled into the mix & with Suge's machine plus his face/backstory it was gonna go "Quadruple, Quadrople, platinum" without even trying.

Even the way they rolled out the 'California Love' single prior to the album with the big-budget Mad Max video/anthem then came out with a double-album that only had a remix version of the song so you had to cop both, then filled out the entire album with c-list cats behind the boards for the rest were all cynical dollar-driven moves from a record company that had already lost its way but was too big to fail during that fleeting moment of time.

Dre would have never put his name on this mess even as an executive producer, this album sounds like Pac's post-prison-paper-chase mixed with Suge's arrogance & lack of musical ideas.

Easily his least imaginative album from a lyric/content/soulful perspective.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 12:52 PM

23. "and Pac whatever and anything to just get out of that contract"
In response to Reply # 8

he knew he was owned by Jimmy Iovine and Suge Knight was the face service. like i said you don't go from Me against the world to this and actually keep a straight face.

when He posed outside of RIkers with that money and SUge in the background on the cell phone we all kneew what time it was.

dr dre wasn't happy about it all. word was dre wanted to take some horn lessons and upgrade for the next death row project, however Suge saw his Col Parker side and Pac as his Elvis and the rest was a wrap.

Snoop while a strong voice and Persona, didn't have that kind of "IT" that Pac had and dollar signs danced and all Iovine did was give Suge a Bone to chew on.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 11:06 PM

7. "I voted red"
In response to Reply # 0

grew up on this album, was about 10 when it dropped. I don't really get the hate for disc two

what you cuttin off it? i can see taking 6, 8, 9 and 11. still a solid 9 tracks to my ears. I do think the production slipped on the second disc when held up against the first one, but it was still solid on it's own.

1 "Can't C Me" (featuring George Clinton, Dr. Dre, Nanci Fletcher)
2 "Shorty Wanna Be a Thug"  
3 "Holla at Me"  
4 "Wonda Why They Call U Bitch"  
5 "When We Ride" (featuring The Outlawz, Nanci Fletcher)
6 "Thug Passion" (featuring The Outlawz, Jewell, and Storm))
7 "Picture Me Rollin'" (featuring C.P.O., Danny Boy and Mussolini)
8 "Check Out Time" (featuring Kurupt, Natasha Walker and Mussolini)
9 "Ratha Be Ya Nigga" (featuring Richie Rich, Ebony, Puff Johnson)
10 "All Eyez On Me" (featuring Mussolini)
11 "Run tha Streetz" (featuring Michel'le, Mutah and Storm)
12 "Ain't Hard 2 Find" (featuring C-Bo, B-Legit and E-40)
13 "Heaven Ain't Hard 2 Find" (featuring Danny Boy)

--sig--
n/a

Luke Cage
Member since Dec 14th 2005
3047 posts
Mon Aug-05-13 11:22 PM

9. "Solid Album"
In response to Reply # 0

Definitely too many tracks but part of the attraction for me is that I know the circumstances of the release and WHY it was bloated. It makes the album more interesting than if he was under normal circumstances and just decided to do some double album that would have been a really good to great single album. Strictly 4 My Niggaz and All Eyes On Me are both a million times better to me but All Eyes has plenty of good songs and it kind of marked a moment in time for Hip Hop. I remember when it came out thinking this is going to be an album that people are talking about 20 years later for better or worse. I also remember thinking that the Tupac that I was a huge fan of was gone and now under the spell of Suge and now he was talking all of this shit about being a don and running things. Part of Pac's biggest appeal was that he was the underdog and someone that the average young black male could relate too minus all of the supreme fantasies of a lot of rap records.

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36962 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 07:26 AM

14. "I voted green."
In response to Reply # 0

Could have been B or A if brought down to 1 disc.

Again, I can't think of any double hip hop album that's a classic.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 08:52 AM

17. "Likr every double album in hip hop history..."
In response to Reply # 0

It can be reduced to one album

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 08:55 AM

18. "..almost an EP, really."
In response to Reply # 17

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 09:02 AM

19. "And that EP is all on the Greatest Hits with less Thug Passion"
In response to Reply # 18

>

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 09:33 AM

20. "yessir."
In response to Reply # 19

(goddamn, i hate that fucking song).

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36962 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 06:02 PM

27. "basically."
In response to Reply # 17

I think the the glamour of being the first double album in hip hop clouds judgement.

That and maybe region.

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 12:25 PM

21. "green"
In response to Reply # 0

should've been one album

Me Against The World is so much better

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 12:44 PM

22. "I Voted Green = Decent Album But One Of His Best Albums"
In response to Reply # 0

"All Eyes On Me" has the same problem most double albums have, it's half filler songs and some average joints with a few good songs that hold it together.

Everyone could pick their favorite and good songs and make it a dope single disc.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Record Playa
Member since Apr 29th 2007
2925 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 01:07 PM

24. "This reason is why I Voted Green^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 22

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 03:28 PM

25. "unlike most doubles tho, most fans could agree on the keepers"
In response to Reply # 22

because the ones that aren't were some combination of shitty or forgettable.

ramaj1
Member since May 20th 2008
1393 posts
Tue Aug-06-13 06:29 PM

28. "This is definitely one of those acclaimed albums that I never liked..."
In response to Reply # 0

I still maintain that most of All Eyez' legend is based off the whole East vs West drama, 'Pac's mystique and of course, his early demise.

Too many guests, not much cohesion and a general tossed off homemade quality on most tracks IMO.

Let's face it, 2Pac is one of the most enduring icons music--not just hip hop--has ever seen BUT a classic album? He never made one.

*darts out of post before Pac diehards start trying to stone me to death*

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed Aug-07-13 07:27 PM

29. "The hype made it huge for sure for sure. But it had enough of the right"
In response to Reply # 28

ingredients at the time. A HUGE single and video that got MAJOR, major play. And then, more singles. And singles that sounded completely different, and hit different crowd. The "Song for the ladies" wasn't forced. The "single for my homies" which was common in the 90's wasn't forced and was great-great (I ain't mad at ya). The collab with the other biggest star in the city and label was great, even though someone here called it a disappointment (I said huh???????).

And I'd say that it's easily his most accessible album, even if we feel he has two or even three other albums that are better. It fit the times well, and still had appeal to both regions.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36962 posts
Wed Aug-07-13 08:27 PM

30. "I can accept this explanation."
In response to Reply # 29

Well put.

ramaj1
Member since May 20th 2008
1393 posts
Wed Aug-07-13 08:54 PM

31. "You're right, All Eyez' is a definitely a product of its time"
In response to Reply # 29
Wed Aug-07-13 08:55 PM by ramaj1

I will always associate the album with the summer of '96. It was definitely 'Pac at the apex of his fame (and according to some, artistic value). It's crazy that he died right when he had reached his peak.

judono
Member since Nov 11th 2004
4417 posts
Wed Aug-07-13 09:16 PM

33. "when this dropped there wasn't anything fuckn w/ it"
In response to Reply # 0

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Thu Aug-08-13 01:45 PM

37. "the only track that i really liked was whats your phone number"
In response to Reply # 0

with 777-9311 as the background music and someone should have added this to instead of some of the other tracks like life goes on...its like i said before, prince should have gotten paid off that track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkfoPCn59JA

Lobby The Lesson topic #2829214 Previous topic | Next topic