Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2826639

Subject: "3 MJ/Freddie Mercury demos from '83 to be released this year (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Mon Jul-29-13 02:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"3 MJ/Freddie Mercury demos from '83 to be released this year (swipe)"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/michael-jackson-duets-with-freddie-mercury-set-for-release-20130729

>Michael Jackson Duets With Freddie Mercury Set for Release

Singers recorded three songs together 30 years ago

By ERIN COULEHAN
July 29, 2013 1:40 PM ET

Three duets that Michael Jackson recorded with Queen singer Freddie Mercury 30 years ago will finally see an official release later this year. According to The Times of London, the demos were recorded in 1983 at Jackson's home studio, but a larger project never came to fruition due to the singers' conflicting schedules.

"They were great songs, but the problem was time – as we were both very busy at that period," Mercury said in an excerpt from Mercury: An Intimate Biography of Freddie Mercury.

Jackson told Rolling Stone that he was a fan of Mercury's, and that Mercury had reached out to him about the possibility of working together on the Jacksons' next album in 1983.

A studio session was set up and the two recorded three songs, but Queen's manager, Jim "Miami" Beach, recalls that the duo's meeting was a bit tumultuous. "Mercury rang me and said: 'Miami, dear, can you get over here? You've got to get me out of here, I'm recording with a llama,'" said Beach.

The songs,"There Must Be More to Life Than This," "State of Shock" and "Victory" (which provided the title of the Jacksons' 1984 album), were recorded but weren't cleared for release until 2011.

Queen guitarist Brian May confirmed that the tracks will be released this fall, and added that the songs are "exciting, challenging, emotionally taxing. But cool."

___________________________________________________________________________________________
But Zootown, black people and media, so...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
they are all painfully awful.
Jul 29th 2013
ya at least 2/3 of those are out there
Jul 29th 2013
They're basically rehearsal takes
Jul 30th 2013
thus answering the unasked question: "where are the 'victory' outtakes?!...
Jul 29th 2013
Right? I do want to hear MJ sing lead on all of those songs.
Jul 29th 2013
They had done about 15-20 songs by Spring '83
Jul 30th 2013
the llama part gave me a chuckle
Jul 29th 2013
"There Must Be More To Life Than This" ended up on
Jul 29th 2013
they were just there kinda tracks, though
Jul 29th 2013

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Jul-29-13 02:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "they are all painfully awful."
In response to Reply # 0

like - YIKES.

i mean the ones i've heard. maybe they'll release others.

'State of Shock' in particular hurt my feelings.

fuck you.

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5461 posts
Mon Jul-29-13 02:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "ya at least 2/3 of those are out there"
In response to Reply # 1

"victory" i haven't heard
but the other 2....anyone who doesn't care enough to have sought them out already probly doesn't really need them in their life.

jaywonder
Member since Jun 05th 2007
8431 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 01:38 AM

9. "They're basically rehearsal takes"
In response to Reply # 1

MJ and Freddie singing the songs, figuring them out at MJ's home studio

http://boundless-expression.tumblr.com/

http://themichaeljacksonarchives.tumblr.com/

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Mon Jul-29-13 03:03 PM

3. "thus answering the unasked question: "where are the 'victory' outtakes?!..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-29-13 03:04 PM by Joe Corn Mo

if *i'm* not checking for this shit,
it's pretty safe to say that nobody is.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Jul-29-13 05:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Right? I do want to hear MJ sing lead on all of those songs."
In response to Reply # 3

But that's as far as my curiousity goes with that album.

To this day I wish someone @ Epic had forced the Jacksons to submit versions of those songs w/MJ and/or Jermaine on lead. I guess back then they were just happy to have ANY new product w/MJ on it so the album was accepted as was. I bet MJ would've sang those songs if Katherine told him to. Maybe she should've. Lol

fuck you.

jaywonder
Member since Jun 05th 2007
8431 posts
Tue Jul-30-13 01:34 AM

8. "They had done about 15-20 songs by Spring '83 "
In response to Reply # 3

But then Thriller blew up and Jermaine rejoined so they had to make some last minute changes (re-recording Torture, adding him to the ending of Wait, etc.)

Also doesn't help by the last sessions, the brothers were working on songs as individuals and not as a group

There won't be any reissues of the 1976-1984 albums with unreleased material or releases of their tours without approval from the other brothers so....we'll probably be waiting for awhile lol

http://boundless-expression.tumblr.com/

http://themichaeljacksonarchives.tumblr.com/

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Mon Jul-29-13 03:09 PM

4. "the llama part gave me a chuckle"
In response to Reply # 0

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Virgenes Corazon
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
2985 posts
Mon Jul-29-13 07:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. ""There Must Be More To Life Than This" ended up on"
In response to Reply # 0

"Made In Heaven", the album Queen made in 1995 with the last recordings of Mercury. No trace of MJ on that version. It's not terrible by itself. Have no idea what the original sounds like.

Avatar: Chikara Pro Wrestling. Born From Oblivion.

New Technology Vs. Horse album, "Sorry That I Knocked You Up" http://technologyvshorse.bandcamp.com/album/sorry-that-i-knocked-you-up

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Jul-29-13 07:22 PM

7. "they were just there kinda tracks, though "
In response to Reply # 0

state of shock was pushed to make a smooth move for Mick Jagger's solo career. that was a tacting used by the Sony brass.

anyway outtakes for victory was "Liberian girl" and a couple of others.

alot of those tracks had a similar groove going on.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Lobby The Lesson topic #2826639 Previous topic | Next topic