Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2820183

Subject: "Is it strange to you that AZ & Jay-Z NEVER did a song together? " Previous topic | Next topic
Tony Hanes
Member since May 27th 2013
429 posts
Wed Jul-10-13 04:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is it strange to you that AZ & Jay-Z NEVER did a song together? "

My Barber asked me this today. So, is it strange that AZ and Jay-Z never did a track together? I mean, they are both from BK, has history with Nas, AZ was in Dead President video with Biggie, the picture last year I believe at Nas Birthday party they were sitting together with Nas & Common, both debut albums had mafia type vibes....I mean, it just seems weird that from 1995/96-2013, they have never done 1 song together.

Is there any history between these guys that would stop this or what?

Just curious.

Peace

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
The hook would be easy money too since their names rhyme
Jul 10th 2013
RE: The hook would be easy money too since their names rhyme
Jul 10th 2013
According to AZ, they went to the same school and they....
Jul 10th 2013
not really, he's Nas' dude. Like Nas has no songs with Siegel or Bleek
Jul 10th 2013
RE: not really, he's Nas' dude. Like Nas has no songs with Siegel or Ble...
Jul 10th 2013
AZ's coattails weren't big enough for Jay-Z to hitch a ride on
Jul 10th 2013
Shots fired......aim low.
Jul 10th 2013
Sauce Money's were though...
Jul 10th 2013
Does anyone have the original pressing of Reasonable Doubt?
Jul 10th 2013
ok
Jul 10th 2013
      I always thought that was interesting
Jul 11th 2013
Not strange. He had a relationship with Jay but he's loyal to Nas.
Jul 10th 2013
RE: Not strange. He had a relationship with Jay but he's loyal to Nas.
Jul 10th 2013
Wasn't AZ in one of Jay's early videos? Like Dead Presidents
Jul 10th 2013
yup. check it out
Jul 10th 2013
RE: Jay keeps a tight circle, like Mafia tight........
Jul 11th 2013
maybe to you and Anonymous.
Jul 11th 2013

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Jul-10-13 05:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "The hook would be easy money too since their names rhyme"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Tony Hanes
429 posts
Wed Jul-10-13 05:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: The hook would be easy money too since their names rhyme"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah, and they both have a dope flow. I just don't get why it didn't happen at least one time. Seems strange to me...

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Wed Jul-10-13 05:16 PM

3. "According to AZ, they went to the same school and they...."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-10-13 05:22 PM by The Wordsmith

...rhymed together as well. I'm believing in cipher sessions.

Since 1976

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed Jul-10-13 05:25 PM

4. "not really, he's Nas' dude. Like Nas has no songs with Siegel or Bleek"
In response to Reply # 0

and Jay has no cuts with Cormega.

I'm not saying they would have beef but just wouldn't be the first person either would go to in order to collab.

Tony Hanes
429 posts
Wed Jul-10-13 05:40 PM

5. "RE: not really, he's Nas' dude. Like Nas has no songs with Siegel or Ble..."
In response to Reply # 4

I feel you but I'm talking about during the Dead President and Do or Die era, they knew each other had skills. They are from the same area and both dope. Jay-z was a huge Illmatic fan and AZ blazed that joint and was in Jigga video. Sigel from Philly so of course Nas wouldn't be down to do a track with the Jay-Z tension that had been there for years.

PCProductions
Member since Oct 31st 2009
1217 posts
Wed Jul-10-13 06:14 PM

6. "AZ's coattails weren't big enough for Jay-Z to hitch a ride on"
In response to Reply # 0

blueeclipse
Member since Apr 12th 2009
1855 posts
Wed Jul-10-13 06:43 PM

7. "Shots fired......aim low."
In response to Reply # 6

I see it.

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Wed Jul-10-13 06:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Sauce Money's were though..."
In response to Reply # 6

----

Anonymous
Charter member
23234 posts
Wed Jul-10-13 08:04 PM

9. "Does anyone have the original pressing of Reasonable Doubt?"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't have my copy any more but compare the back cover to the Doe Or Die back cover.

They're damn near identical.

But I hear you. It does seem strange that they never recorded. Maybe the Nas thin played a part by the time it could've happened.

AZ did bless the DOA remix and it sounds official so I'll count that for now.

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16840 posts
Wed Jul-10-13 11:41 PM

14. "ok "
In response to Reply # 9

>I don't have my copy any more but compare the back cover to
>the Doe Or Die back cover.
>
>They're damn near identical.

http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-236703-1362835766-9158.jpeg

http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-352213-1258584879.jpeg

<================================
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd494/raysnill1/2012falcons.jpg

Anonymous
Charter member
23234 posts
Thu Jul-11-13 06:09 AM

15. "I always thought that was interesting"
In response to Reply # 14

Remember when Jay came out, Nas, Big and AZ were all bigger than he was.

He was the newcomer that was following in their foot steps.

Nas and Big started hinted at the mafia talk on their debuts and then Rae and AZ ran with it. Jay then came in after.

And I didn't know Jaz-O when I was younger so to me, Jay-Z was similar to AZ as far as the name and then the whole image and packaging were similar.

Not saying Jay was copying the whole thing because I don't know but I did look at it when I was younger and they came out and kind of labeled Jay as the one who was copying the other big stars after the fact.

Then you add on all of the borrowed Biggie rhymes as well as the hoppin from one artist to the next and it becomes more questionable.

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Wed Jul-10-13 08:23 PM

10. "Not strange. He had a relationship with Jay but he's loyal to Nas."
In response to Reply # 0

At some point after the Reasonable Doubt video shoot I'm sure Nas made it clear to AZ that he wasn't feeling Jay.

Gumbo, gris-gris, plus my etouffee got em paying 20 bones

Tony Hanes
429 posts
Wed Jul-10-13 08:47 PM

11. "RE: Not strange. He had a relationship with Jay but he's loyal to Nas."
In response to Reply # 10

You could be right. That make sense.

Perception
Member since Dec 26th 2003
1162 posts
Wed Jul-10-13 10:33 PM

12. "Wasn't AZ in one of Jay's early videos? Like Dead Presidents"
In response to Reply # 0

or something like that? It wasn't like they hated each other. The opportunity probably never came up.

Perception
Member since Dec 26th 2003
1162 posts
Wed Jul-10-13 10:35 PM

13. "yup. check it out"
In response to Reply # 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BCsxQg3NE4

Goodgame
Member since Nov 25th 2012
40 posts
Thu Jul-11-13 07:06 AM

16. "RE: Jay keeps a tight circle, like Mafia tight........ "
In response to Reply # 0

The main reason that Hov and Sosa never did a song together is because Jay-Z doesn't deal with people outside of his inner circle, unless it benefits him in someway. Just look at any collab that he ever did. Its always tied to his inner circle or he is trying to reach a different region/market. Him and Biggie wanted to create "The Commission" just to rival Nas and the Firm. Big was his boy and was instrumental in helping him get on. Jaz-o and Kane introduced him to the game and helped him get his feet wet. He put Foxy on in hopes that she'd be the First Lady of Rocafella. Sauce Money was signed to the Roc. Bleek was Roc artist that he mentored, and the same with Beans. Too $hort collab came when there was tension between west coast and east coast so he just wanted to hit the ears of the west coast, and the same could be said for the Juvenille, Scarface (though he does respect Brad as an emcee), and Master P collaborations. The Mya collab was brought to us courtesy of DJ Clue who did the Backstage soundtrack and was like a distant cousin of the Rocafella family. OutKast and UGK were kings in the south and Jay wanted some of that dirty south doe. Lupe is from Chicago and was cool with Kanye, plus he used to ghost write for Jay, but you didn't hear that from me. Dr. Dre, Timbo, and Pharrell are producers with hot beats to give to Jay. Dmx and Ja Rule were suppose to be in a super group with Jay, called Murder Incorporated. Eminem... well his beats weren't that great but he was crushing the numbers with the white suburban teenagers, so Jay just wanted to make sure he could get his fingers in on that just incase he had missed anyone. Kweli is from Brooklyn, but so is Mos Def, but just so happens that Kanye did the "Just To Get By" beat for Kwe, so Hov hopped on the remix. Dead Prez had the RBG crowd, right around the same time Jay was sporting the Che t-shirts and comparing himself to Che in rhymes. I could go on but I don't need to because if you can think of a collab that I missed, think about it for a second, and then you will see the connection or the advantage in it for Hov.

AZ was close to Nas, which was Jay's enemy at the time, and there was no advantage in making a song with him since people who listen to AZ, already listen to Jay. It is ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS....business with Jay.

A better question to pose is this.... Why has Nas never done a song with Pharoahe Monch (since they are the two best lyricist from Queens, and Nas did songs with EVERYONE else from Queens)..... and why Nas never took the challenge of hopping on a track with Eminem????????

Peace

1, William Goodgame

MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Thu Jul-11-13 07:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "maybe to you and Anonymous. "
In response to Reply # 0

*shrug*

------------------------------------------
latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

Lobby The Lesson topic #2820183 Previous topic | Next topic