Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2815516

Subject: "Serious question: How big of a star do you think Janelle Monae will be....." Previous topic | Next topic
VerbalK420
Member since Feb 28th 2003
143 posts
Mon Jun-24-13 11:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Serious question: How big of a star do you think Janelle Monae will be....."
Mon Jun-24-13 11:27 AM by VerbalK420

after her next album releases? I think she has it all. The voice, the moves, the personality, the complete package. Do you think this next album will launch her into superstar status?

Edit: Watching this video was what prompted me to post this. She is such a phenomenal live performer. Absolute dynamite in the, dare I say it, James Brown mold.
http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/mb100702janelle_monae

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I think it's her last chance to get bigger
Jun 24th 2013
nvm refer to maxxx
Jun 24th 2013
SHE AIN'T going to be that big
Jun 24th 2013
RE: SHE AIN'T going to be that big
Jun 24th 2013
I don't think it's possible.
Jun 24th 2013
Not much bigger than she is now
Jun 24th 2013
It all depends on how much $ the label puts up
Jun 24th 2013
Lose the bathroom attendant outfit and maybe...
Jun 24th 2013
i think
Jun 24th 2013
^^^This
Jun 24th 2013

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Jun-24-13 11:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I think it's her last chance to get bigger"
In response to Reply # 0

Which doesn't she couldn't have a long career regardless.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Mon Jun-24-13 11:52 AM

2. "nvm refer to maxxx"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-24-13 12:09 PM by BrooklynWHAT

<--- Big Baller World Order

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Jun-24-13 12:01 PM

3. "SHE AIN'T going to be that big"
In response to Reply # 0

a made for tv Leslie Uggams type of a act who does variety shows, plays, theater, makes albums, tv and film, however she is too corny to ever blow up, even Bruno Mars couldn't do much with her. i find her to have talent, but missing that certain thing.

sometimes she does too much and she ain't a powerhouse type of a artist.

as watered down as today is, she ain't touching Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Rhianna so you can cross that out.

and she ain't catchy enough for the pop side unless she works with a Lenny Kravitz and gets that kind of flavor. it just ain't happening.

this chick is somewhere between Indie Arie and Collen bailey Ray and not even going to get a Macy Gray one album wonder type of thing. she needs better songs and chill on the over the top and also trying to be heavy when it ain't there.

however in a broke Jennifer Hudson doing everything under the sun kind of way in showbiz she got a chance to last that way though

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Mon Jun-24-13 01:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "RE: SHE AIN'T going to be that big"
In response to Reply # 3

She needs to let Paul Epworth reign her in. A producer like that could take all these elements she has and strip them into something meaningful and pop friendly. Her personality is suited for the stage but she needs HITS... and ones that connect... not just Max Martin-y shit... or the rambling she does now..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Mon Jun-24-13 01:20 PM

4. "I don't think it's possible."
In response to Reply # 0

But, it is possible that she inspires some weird lil girl, or that lil girl inspires a group of friends to be like the WAS, and we'll all say "This is what Janelle should've been!" I think she's amazing, but she'd have to do something 100% out of character to blow up at this point.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Dr_Gonzo
Member since Feb 07th 2007
1523 posts
Mon Jun-24-13 01:51 PM

6. "Not much bigger than she is now"
In response to Reply # 0

I think she may have a moment or two when people really know her name, but other than that, I think she's cruising at the level she'll remain at for as long as her career lasts.

ramaj1
Member since May 20th 2008
1393 posts
Mon Jun-24-13 03:36 PM

7. "It all depends on how much $ the label puts up"
In response to Reply # 0

An artist's level of popularity and status within the industry is dictated by the gatekeepers (record company bigwigs, promo people, managers, media execs) not the artist or their public.

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Mon Jun-24-13 06:14 PM

8. "Lose the bathroom attendant outfit and maybe..."
In response to Reply # 0

The look has run it's course, the commercial got her a few new fans, but it's time to shore it up and make some shit people will really listen to.

---------------------------

I miss Tha D... But I'll never move back there.

R.I.P. Disco D

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Mon Jun-24-13 06:18 PM

9. "i think"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-24-13 06:25 PM by howardlloyd

she just needs one "money track"

if she gets it... i think she could be major.

i aint heard it yet... but nobody rooting harder than me

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

Ketchums
Member since Jan 30th 2005
3417 posts
Mon Jun-24-13 07:11 PM

10. "^^^This"
In response to Reply # 9

----

https://weketchum.contently.com/

Lobby The Lesson topic #2815516 Previous topic | Next topic