Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2813699

Subject: "What artists have succeeded at making futuristic (sounding) music?" Previous topic | Next topic
-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Mon Jun-17-13 10:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"What artists have succeeded at making futuristic (sounding) music?"

Just saw someone mentioning how Jay tried to push the envelope on BP3 and failed...and even though it doesn't count, we all heard "Ghetto techno" and how it sucked. Jay and Dre "Under pressure" was trying in the same way.

It seems like there was a WHOLE lot of this going on around 99-2000 since it was the new Millennium, and people always pictured the year 2000 is being extremely spacey and robotic, probably because of the movies and books we read in the 70's and 80's. The biggest fail from this era has to be Goodie Mob, with tracks like "What it ain't" with TLC.

I'd say that Outkast succeeded on Stankonia, but some folks would still call it hit and miss. I actually thought "Call before I come" was great, but some folks here seemed to hate it.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Sun Rai, Herbie Hancock, art of noise, Kraftwork
Jun 17th 2013
I actually haven't heard anything from Art of noise but Moments
Jun 17th 2013
Kat You're Missing Out On Art O Noise's Catalog
Jun 18th 2013
Good call on Kraftwerk.
Jun 18th 2013
recently
Jun 18th 2013
En A Free Ka was and still is aural bliss.
Jun 18th 2013
ohh yeah Black Milk's Tronic
Jun 18th 2013
Not a big fan of the term but...
Jun 18th 2013
Me being born in 1984 sucks sometimes. But, because I listen to so
Jun 18th 2013
Word?
Jun 20th 2013
RE: Not a big fan of the term but...
Jun 21st 2013
      Yes, Hey baby is dope with that vibe...
Jun 22nd 2013
RE: What artists have succeeded at making futuristic (sounding) music?
Jun 18th 2013
Timbaland in the 90's, Portishead, Neptunes in the early 2000's
Jun 18th 2013
Commercially ?
Jun 18th 2013
Return To Forever and PFunk
Jun 18th 2013
Kanye's 808's.
Jun 18th 2013
Not trying to be funny...
Jun 18th 2013
Most people feel Drake's whole sound is the main descendant
Jun 18th 2013
Love Deluxe by Sade......wait.....
Jun 21st 2013
Yep.
Jun 18th 2013
yes
Jun 18th 2013
i hate it. but yes
Jun 18th 2013
RE: Kanye's 808's.
Jun 21st 2013
Gary Numan, Cannibal Ox/El-P, Edan, Giorgio Moroder, Public Enemy
Jun 18th 2013
Flying Lotus first 2 albums? n/m
Jun 18th 2013
Agreed
Jun 20th 2013
el-p's last two albums
Jun 18th 2013
yes
Jun 18th 2013
yep
Jun 18th 2013
RE: Jon Hassell.
Jun 18th 2013
Diddy's last two albums
Jun 20th 2013
The Bomb Squad
Jun 20th 2013
ill never understand why Black ppl abandoned techno
Jun 20th 2013
Both Hip-Hop and R&B has embraced techno in the past decade...
Jun 20th 2013
I kind of agree kind of dont
Jun 20th 2013
      OK
Jun 20th 2013
Because it wasn't as visible as the rest.
Jun 21st 2013
      damn...thanks
Jun 24th 2013
           I'm trying to find an interview with one of the Belleville Three about i...
Jun 24th 2013
Hmmmm.....
Jun 20th 2013
The Knife's new album sounds like post-apocalypse pop
Jun 20th 2013
Jun 20th 2013
miles davis, herbie hancock, tony williams, john mclaughlin
Jun 21st 2013
Raymond Scott.
Jun 21st 2013
Nicolette
Jun 21st 2013
Marvin Gaye's 'Sexual Healing'.
Jun 21st 2013
your sense of 'future' is remarkable.
Jun 21st 2013
      i just meant music, but the lyrics too now that i think about it.
Jun 24th 2013
           Yea I played both on Saturday and it's like wow, these songs will
Jun 24th 2013
Jun 21st 2013
Goldie
Jun 21st 2013
George Clinton
Jun 21st 2013
Zapp & Roger "Computer Love"
Jun 21st 2013
RE: Zapp & Roger "Computer Love"
Jun 22nd 2013
Premo has some pretty "futuristic" tracks.......
Jun 24th 2013

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Jun-17-13 10:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Sun Rai, Herbie Hancock, art of noise, Kraftwork"
In response to Reply # 0

that's who comes to mind

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Jun-17-13 10:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I actually haven't heard anything from Art of noise but Moments"
In response to Reply # 1

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 02:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Kat You're Missing Out On Art O Noise's Catalog "
In response to Reply # 2

"Moments In Love" was kind of the oddball track in their career when that song dropped, even though it was one of biggest hits and what a lot of people know them for other than "Beat Box" & "Close To Edit".

I would say check out a best of by them but I've seen two or three different "best of"s or "greatest hits" with different tracklistings and not having the key tracks that would make you like them if you didn't know they had better songs that wasn't on them.

Since you're a vinyl digger, I say find used copies of "Who's Afraid Of?" or "Into Battle" then try to cop "The Seduction Of Claude Debussy" on cd (it's like classical meets drum-n-bass).

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Ashley Ayers
Member since Dec 12th 2009
12331 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 05:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Good call on Kraftwerk."
In response to Reply # 1

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 03:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "recently"
In response to Reply # 0

Danny Brown's XXX
Araab's non-rap work
Most of Lotus' work, though I don't really dig where him and Thundercat are taking their sound in the past year or two
Both of James Blake's albums
Most of Sa-Ra's work sans Taz's solo shit and that turd that was City Pulse by Ommas, in partiular En A Free Ka
Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
Blu's No York
Elucids work
J*Davey pre 2008/9
Teebs
Atoms For Peace - Amok
Ras G's shit even tho I'm not a fan

third_i_vision
Charter member
7818 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 07:51 AM

9. "En A Free Ka was and still is aural bliss."
In response to Reply # 4

I still only play the first half before throwing on something else, but good lord that shit is heavy.

Bowls
http://twitter.com/Bowls615

astralblak
20029 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 03:45 PM

22. "ohh yeah Black Milk's Tronic"
In response to Reply # 4

and Common's Electric Circus

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 04:29 AM

5. "Not a big fan of the term but..."
In response to Reply # 0

...I think Kraftwerk more than any other act practically defined futurism in music for all future acts with their music that conjured images of robots, machines, computers, programming and a stiff, mechanical vibe (note that I still think Kraftwerk sounded somewhat ''warm''; probably because of their analog syntheseizers)... At this stage, it's really more ''retro''-futuristic than anything but whatever

Some others that come to mind:

Sun Ra (duh!). The sheer strangeness and "otherworldly" vibe of the tonal language on records like "Cosmic tones for mental therapy", "Heliocentric worlds 1 and 2" and "Magic city" combined with how early he was with using the studio as an instrument (delay, reverb, echo etc.) and on some recordings even primitive keyboards make him sound very futuristic, not just in the context of the time but even by modern day standards to me.

Jimi Hendrix. Especially when he made songs like "voodoo chile" or freaked out with the guitar-effects. There's something very cool to me in the way he combined elements from ancient delta-blues (lyrical cliches, riffs etc.) with "space-elements" (lyrics that reference the sulfur mines of jupiter and (then) state-of-the-art guitar effects). Some would say that the blues-elements make him less futuristic but I'd argue it's the opposite because blues/blues-rock has not exactly been very open to "spacey" stuff historically but has instead thrived on "authenticity" so that he was working partially within the confines of those genres make him come across as extra futuristic.

P-funk (duh). I don't know how you can hear a song like "Flashlight" and NOT feel that these guys fit the (static) definition of futuristic. Just like with Hendrix, they were also not afraid to take off to space which of course is quite futuristic since spaceships and going to other planets and stuff was-and remains-something associated with the future.

Devo. Futuristic is often associated with something that sound "stiff" and mechanic, a bit robotic. While this band worked within a conventional rock-band form, their stiff, jerky and jagged rhythms to me just give off this vibe of rock/pop/new wave as played by robots. Obviously, Gary Numan and others had that too but Devo pioneered it. The funny thing is that Devo's approach was almost completely lifted from Captain Beefheart's late 60's-early 70's music but whereas Beefheart's music constantly changed the riffs and rhythms (not very futuristic since it gives off a non-programmed, organic vibe), Devo essentially took Beefhearts riff/rhythm-combos and "looped" them and bang!-they arrived at something fresh by stripping things down...

Chrome in 78-80 or so. Pretty much the same as Hendrix; Chrome worked with forms of music that aren't really associated with a futuristic vibe (in their case:garage-rock, proto-punk, retro-psychedelia etc.) but then applied tape-manipulations, vocoders, synths, ''industrial'' sound-effects and other studio-tricknology to the whole shit as well as having wonderfully (retro) futuristic cover-art and lyrics.

Judas Priest on "Stained Class" (1978). I just feel that the combination of the guitar-sound and the bands stiff, sharp and jagged way of playing (not to mention the cover-art and lyrics) essentially divorced their music from "classic rock" and the loose, jammy, blues-based, more rootsy styles of their heavy predecessors like Zeppelin, Sabbath or Deep Purple.

Africa Bambataa. Most early Hip-hop hits were disco-derived so obviously, dude and the Soulsonic force kind of helped introduce the more "futuristic" vibe to Hip-Hop when songs like "Planet Rock" hit...

Kool Keith. Another obvious Hip-Hop example even if it was more the lyrics than the music in his case. Still, I guess the Dr. Octagon album (not to mention Black Elvis) aimed for that "futuristic" vibe and succeded I guess even if I don't think the beats were too hot and only a few really felt futuristic.

voivod in their prime (=late 80's). My metal-pick from that era; everything from the music with lots of sharp and jagged flat-5th power-chords to the album-covers (GREAT!) to the lyrics give that vibe. Watchtower's "Energetic disassembly" is another, earlier example of a metal-album that I guess qualify for that vibe. Oh yeah, first Cynic as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_09IAg12q8
I always thought this record sounded like a joke with the synth-basses and vocoders and smooth jazz-influences but it's supposedly a classic.

STRONGLY agree with Art of Noise as well; that was the 80's overblown machine-park in full effect

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 03:09 PM

17. "Me being born in 1984 sucks sometimes. But, because I listen to so"
In response to Reply # 5

much older music AND actually look to see when it was made...I can say that there are a lot of songs I hear and say "wait, this came out in 77???? This shit sounds more like 82!!!" so it makes more sense then.

I don't know much at all about Kraftwerk except for the name.

I've heard that Jimi was really ahead of his time and in a good way, but never knew how, exactly.

I can for sure see "Planet rock" being ahead of it's time back then. It can easily be modified into a modern hit today, from a BEP or somethin.

Good post, I gotta look up a lot of that there.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 07:43 PM

30. "Word?"
In response to Reply # 17

>I don't know much at all about Kraftwerk except for the name.

While they were white germans, theyv'e actually had quite a massive impact on Hip-Hop and 80's electro. I hope you know that "Planet rock" is based on Kraftwerk-stuff, primarily "Trans-europe express". And "the man machine" (1978, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgpgngJp7pE ) has been sampled quite often, including one of my least favorite Jay-Z hits, "Sunshine".

Otherwise, this classic from the same album sums up the "futuristic" vibe pretty well I think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXa9tXcMhXQ

Anyway, not sure they will be your thing but they are an important act and worth checking out; their earlier stuff was more avant-garde/kraut-rock but "Man-Machine" and especially "Computer world" (1981) both have a strong proto-electro vibe. I personally prefer the former by a wide margin but the latter seems to be most Hip-Hop and techno fans favorite; probably because it sounds a bit more "modern" and less 70's. Still, the former was clearly a more innovative/futurisitic album (better songs as well IMO)-everyone and their grandmother was doing synth and electronic stuff in '81 even if Kraftwerk were still a bit of a leader I guess...

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 07:10 AM

37. "RE: Not a big fan of the term but..."
In response to Reply # 5

>
>Jimi Hendrix. Especially when he made songs like "voodoo
>chile" or freaked out with the guitar-effects. There's
>something very cool to me in the way he combined elements from
>ancient delta-blues (lyrical cliches, riffs etc.) with
>"space-elements" (lyrics that reference the sulfur mines of
>jupiter and (then) state-of-the-art guitar effects). Some
>would say that the blues-elements make him less futuristic but
>I'd argue it's the opposite because blues/blues-rock has not
>exactly been very open to "spacey" stuff historically but has
>instead thrived on "authenticity" so that he was working
>partially within the confines of those genres make him come
>across as extra futuristic.
>
well said here, it's kind of amazing how that music (made a decade before I was born) maintains that 'next frontier'/'futuristic' tone & I think it's for exactly the reasons you mention.

The delta-blues stuff is the myth-making blueprint for the interstellar journey he takes you on sonically & thematically.

'Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)', even though I don't think he ever really finished it, feels like it's out of that mold.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Sat Jun-22-13 11:42 AM

50. "Yes, Hey baby is dope with that vibe..."
In response to Reply # 37
Sat Jun-22-13 11:43 AM by Jakob Hellberg

The version of that song on "Rainbow bridge" and later "First Rays..." is a rough, live-in-the studio runthrough. It's great but Hendrix "live" and Hendrix on studio-albums with all the overdubs, more polished vocals and stuff were two different things; I think that if he had been able to finish it, it would have been an epic song with classic status.

BTW, there is a version of the song called "Gypsy boy" on the new "People, hells&angels" comp. but it's even more rough and demo sounding (BTW, Alan Douglas put out a hideous, slick and overdubbed version of that on the lame "Midnight Lightning record) so unfortunately, I don't think that song will ever be heard in the form he intended to put out...

2Future4U
Charter member
3346 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 06:25 AM

7. "RE: What artists have succeeded at making futuristic (sounding) music?"
In response to Reply # 0

Origin Unknown - Valley Of The Shadows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5meT63flnM

Aphex Twin - Come To Daddy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Az_7U0-cK0

https://www.instagram.com/christiancgarrido/

Hussein ibn Malik "if he escaped on a horse he might be realest nigga ever, EVER..2013 Nat Turner with the burner"

MaxPtah "Django is real homie.."

PoppaGeorge "If you're a child of the 70's, Ye looks like

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 07:30 AM

8. "Timbaland in the 90's, Portishead, Neptunes in the early 2000's"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd say Bjork sounded futuristic on her 3 album run (Debut, Post, Homogenic).

Me'shell Ndegeocello was on some other shit on Comfort Woman and The World Made Me The Man Of My Dreams. The outro to Love Song #2 and Elliptical come to mind.

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

Coco la chapelle
Member since Sep 17th 2006
3019 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 08:41 AM

10. "Commercially ?"
In response to Reply # 0

LK1
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
1113 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 11:00 AM

11. "Return To Forever and PFunk"
In response to Reply # 0

RTF Pushed a lot of boundaries in production, instrumentation, and theory.. basically set the tone for the entire fusion genre.

George took the James' Mutiny and put them on acid.

Both will still take you to outer space, even on vinyl.

The spacey shit of today just sounds like MIDI and an MPC... not that much to the formula. DJs = same old shit. You gotta have people who can really, really play to take it somewhere.

***I'm a Child of Production***

Ashley Ayers
Member since Dec 12th 2009
12331 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 11:14 AM

12. "Kanye's 808's."
In response to Reply # 0

As much as some people hate that album, its sons are everywhere now.

unohoo
Charter member
15278 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 02:33 PM

15. "Not trying to be funny..."
In response to Reply # 12

...but what albums are descendant of 808's in your opinion?

--------------------

blah blah blah

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 03:11 PM

18. "Most people feel Drake's whole sound is the main descendant"
In response to Reply # 15

I can even say this...I never even listened to 808's in entirety until late....so when I heard "Say what's real" it sounded just like the rest of Drake's album, which sounded kinda fresh in early 09. Then, I realized it was on 808's and said "wait....did Ye father this whole sound???"

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 07:52 AM

38. "Love Deluxe by Sade......wait....."
In response to Reply # 15

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 03:34 PM

19. "Yep."

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

astralblak
20029 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 03:43 PM

20. "yes"

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 04:11 PM

24. "i hate it. but yes"

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

P Squared
Member since May 13th 2009
281 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 06:17 PM

46. "RE: Kanye's 808's."

>As much as some people hate that album, its sons are
>everywhere now.

Drake's producer 40 has said it was the main influence for So Far Gone.

But 808's is essentially Kanye running with Cudi's style and his love letter to "The Love Below"

---------------------------------

"...avoid P man take ya baby moms advice..."

http://twitter.com/DrunkUncleP

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 11:22 AM

13. "Gary Numan, Cannibal Ox/El-P, Edan, Giorgio Moroder, Public Enemy"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-18-13 11:41 AM by zuma1986

I think a lot of Krautrock and prog rock bands fall into that too.

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 12:29 PM

14. "Flying Lotus first 2 albums? n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 08:58 PM

34. "Agreed"
In response to Reply # 14

When I heard him, someone recommended that I get "1983", listened to some snippets and was shook since then, he took instrumental to the next level with that album.

I then downloaded his first two beat tapes and was amazed how those were more hip-hop beat-ish than futuristic instrumental but I can hear how he took elements of Madlib, J-Dilla, Matthew Herbert, etc. but still made his own style.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

dustin
Member since Feb 21st 2004
4006 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 03:09 PM

16. "el-p's last two albums"
In response to Reply # 0

astralblak
20029 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 03:43 PM

21. "yes"
In response to Reply # 16

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 04:10 PM

23. "yep"
In response to Reply # 16

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Tue Jun-18-13 07:59 PM

25. "RE: Jon Hassell."
In response to Reply # 0

'choons:
"jacques snicket." http://bit.ly/14iU9Xs
"pushed by wind." http://bit.ly/164IZGB
"It is, I think, an indisputable fact that Americans are, as Americans, the most self-conscious people in the world."
—Henry James
austintayeshus.blogspot.com

Chanson
Member since Nov 09th 2004
15000 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 06:24 PM

26. "Diddy's last two albums"
In response to Reply # 0

Press Play
Last Train To Paris

mind
--------
matter

Deluge
Charter member
64711 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 06:36 PM

27. "The Bomb Squad"
In response to Reply # 0

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 07:15 PM

28. "ill never understand why Black ppl abandoned techno"
In response to Reply # 0

Outside of detroit, chicago, and NY that is

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 07:23 PM

29. "Both Hip-Hop and R&B has embraced techno in the past decade..."
In response to Reply # 28
Thu Jun-20-13 07:24 PM by Jakob Hellberg

Not necessarily the rhythmic approach but the sounds, the riffs etc.

Actually, that's my issue with a lot of Hip-Hop and R&B in the past 10-15 years; it sounds too much like electronic music which is kind of boring to me since there's an entire musical tradition in terms of instruments, sounds, rhythms etc. that has more-or-less been abandoned in favor of something I've heard on the radio my entire life (not in the same form mind you but still:synth-pop, italo disco,80's electro, euro-dance, Hi-NRG, house, techno etc.-it feels that a lot of black popular music nowadays fit more into that lineage than, say, the soul or funk or jazz lineages who has been left for dead more-or-less outside of british revivalists and some other exceptions)...

cgonz00cc
35245 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 07:53 PM

32. "I kind of agree kind of dont"
In response to Reply # 29

Outkast, The Weeknd, and Missy Elliot are really the only popular artists to embrace what I would consider soulful forward thinking electronic music

most others turn to popular radio electro-cheese

But my original thought was not techno 8nfluenced pop music. I meant actual Derrick May/Jeff Mills/Model 500 techno

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 08:01 PM

33. "OK"
In response to Reply # 32

I like that type of techno myself. Not an expert or anything but I liked pretty much everything I've heard from Model 500 back in the day. And I bought Inner City's "Big Fun" album when it came out in spite of primarly being into metal then. To me, they sounded more soul/disco inspired than most other techno whereas a lot of House (=Acid) from that era or earlier sounded more like my idea of techno so I don't think I fully got it since Inner City are considered Techno and not House whereas a lot of really harsh stuff was acid house. Whatever, I dig a lot of that stuff. I never felt it was "futuristic" though, mainly because in the context of the music they worked in (or rather, how *I* heard that music:electronic disco), there were so many predecessors (Kraftwerk of course but also Moroder, a lot of italo-stuff and also EBM and synth pop)...

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 03:33 PM

44. "Because it wasn't as visible as the rest."
In response to Reply # 28
Fri Jun-21-13 04:14 PM by PoppaGeorge

Meaning that during the heyday of MTV, Techno had a very limited presence on the screen. Inner City had "Big Fun" and "Good Life", but there wasn't much else. Carl Craig did a couple of videos (Chicken Noodle Soup and Televised Green Smoke), but there wasn't much else to look at.

Besides, Techno's popularity overlapped with the rise of Miami Bass in the late 80's and early 90's. Folks kinda shifted over in that direction to get their booty shakin' on.

Coinciding with all of this, "gangsta rap" made it a tad uncool to be less than "hard", so Techno was starting to be seen as something preppy guys listened to, and when it spilled over into the homosexual community (along with House), it was a wrap.

Like it or not, it was bad enough that it was starting to be seen as "soft", but now you got the gay attached to it; many folks left it alone after that.

It's for that reason that, during the early 90's, most of the time I played out there was a heavy gay presence in the venue (shit, I still have a Club OneX sticker on my flight case from the few times I played out there in the early 2000's).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwUQ5oKM-hE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhb8b2E1mQE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omfiVkkJ1OU

---------------------------

I miss Tha D... But I'll never move back there.

R.I.P. Disco D

cgonz00cc
35245 posts
Mon Jun-24-13 11:29 AM

52. "damn...thanks"
In response to Reply # 44

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Mon Jun-24-13 06:19 PM

54. "I'm trying to find an interview with one of the Belleville Three about i..."
In response to Reply # 52

... Where one of them said that a lot of the labels at the time didn't like the image that the original Detroit Techno creators projected: That of an intelligent, middle to upper middle class Black man from Detroit. They wanted them to "thug it up" a bit, but none of them wanted no part of it and the major labels started to lose interest.

---------------------------

I miss Tha D... But I'll never move back there.

R.I.P. Disco D

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 07:45 PM

31. "Hmmmm....."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-20-13 07:49 PM by murph71

P-Funk
Gary Numan
Kraftwerk
Sun-Ra
Prince
Devo
Outkast
georgio moroder
Afrika Bambaataa
Radiohead

Just to name a few...

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 09:50 PM

35. "The Knife's new album sounds like post-apocalypse pop"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

ajiav
Member since Feb 02nd 2007
2402 posts
Thu Jun-20-13 11:20 PM

36. "RE: What artists have succeeded at making futuristic (sounding) music?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-20-13 11:20 PM by ajiav

I was on a kick yesterday of several Steve Reich pieces, so since it's on my mind I'd be inclined to say some of those early Minimalists (capital 'm').

With Reich, it's interesting to listen to some of his "early works" (also the name of a cd that includes them) - they include tape loops of voices that are being played simultaneously and then gradually 'phased' in and out of each other. It's clearly interesting to him the way that rhythmic patterns develop and fade of their own accord. He starts to transfer this idea into performance, for instance with the composition "Drumming," where various percussionists overlap simple patterns in order to create similar phasing effects, development happens gradually and as a result of these simple effects. Reich moves away from phasing, but it's a well-known example and I think is illustrative of how he used concepts that are anticipatory of what would eventually become common techniques and structures among electronic musicians/artists, even in the popular realm. Minimalists have this interest in cycles and patterns, adding and removing layers, or 'pulsating' sounds.

In those earlier days, I have to imagine that technology influenced what was composed rather than determined it - the tape loops influence what Reich eventually wrote for instrumentalists, as opposed to electronic musicians who make use of loops because that is the design of the instrument, to sequence patterns. Still, to have the insight to transfer these ideas into composition strikes me as especially forward-thinking, to develop new structural ideas on that basis - as opposed to earlier Varese or Cage experiments that seem just to be fascinated with the weird sounds in a meandering kind of way. In the context of the times, I think it really is 'futuristic', and in a way that is divorced from the usual extra-musical cultural artifice of Jetsons bubble-dresses, conveyer belts, and robot dancing.

-------

http://soundcloud.com/ajiav
http://www.last.fm/user/ajiav

Games without front ears / born without ears

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 09:05 AM

39. "miles davis, herbie hancock, tony williams, john mclaughlin"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jun-21-13 09:10 AM by Crash Bandacoot

the cellar door sessions, sextant, emergency!, etc.
some of the most futuristic sounding music that i've ever heard
and that shit was made back in the late 60s/early 70s.

as far as new age alternative, my vote goes to wixiw.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Reuben
Member since Mar 13th 2006
1857 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 09:42 AM

40. "Raymond Scott."
In response to Reply # 0

http://hardboiledbabesanddarkchocolate.tumblr.co

Reuben
Member since Mar 13th 2006
1857 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 09:56 AM

41. "Nicolette"
In response to Reply # 0

http://hardboiledbabesanddarkchocolate.tumblr.co

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 11:12 AM

42. "Marvin Gaye's 'Sexual Healing'."
In response to Reply # 0

Isley Brother's 'Between the Sheets'.

^ they still sound like 'the future' somehow. and they definitely did back in the 80s.

fuck you.

forgivenphoenix
Member since Dec 08th 2007
2514 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 07:56 PM

47. "your sense of 'future' is remarkable."
In response to Reply # 42

are you referring to the lyrics or subject matter of those songs moreso than the actual musical sounds?

i always equated futurism with music but not with lyrical content, but the unbridled sexuality of both songs definitely was new ground in music, i would think.

http://www.twitter.com/chriscjamison/

People who don't take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.

Peter Drucker

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Jun-24-13 11:56 AM

53. "i just meant music, but the lyrics too now that i think about it."
In response to Reply # 47

fuck you.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Jun-24-13 10:54 PM

56. "Yea I played both on Saturday and it's like wow, these songs will"
In response to Reply # 53

NEVER sound old to me. Even when I put new acapellas on "Between the sheets" or a new beat under "Sexual healing" it sounds perfect.

squarepushkin
Member since Dec 04th 2012
31 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 01:27 PM

43. "RE: What artists have succeeded at making futuristic (sounding) music?"
In response to Reply # 0

Autechre

Stringer Bell
Member since Mar 15th 2004
3175 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 03:44 PM

45. "Goldie"
In response to Reply # 0

"Inner City Life" still sounds like the future to me.

TheNewCarter
Member since Aug 16th 2011
27 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 08:20 PM

48. "George Clinton"
In response to Reply # 0

http://troyismajor.com/

TheNewCarter
Member since Aug 16th 2011
27 posts
Fri Jun-21-13 08:22 PM

49. "Zapp & Roger "Computer Love""
In response to Reply # 0

You must've forgotten..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41P4jHWRYYQ

http://troyismajor.com/

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Sat Jun-22-13 12:08 PM

51. "RE: Zapp & Roger "Computer Love""
In response to Reply # 49

>You must've forgotten..

^^^^^^^^^^

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

I. Motion
Member since Jun 17th 2009
836 posts
Mon Jun-24-13 09:19 PM

55. "Premo has some pretty "futuristic" tracks......."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-24-13 09:20 PM by I. Motion

AZ-The Format

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YZuCdS5_t0

Jeru the Damaja- Physical Stamina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLCJHDiQsTA

Torae "Get It Done" Featuring Skyzoo & DJ Premier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1rsUgt3g_U

Xzibit - What a Mess
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcdz8iOb-vA