Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2802081

Subject: "will Bruno Mars have the solo career that Maxwell should have had?" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Fri May-03-13 12:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"will Bruno Mars have the solo career that Maxwell should have had?"

now i have always dug Maxwell however he did choke and lost alot of a sure fire Hall of fame career. meanwhile Bruno Mars is balancing a career as a songwriter and getting into his groove as a artist on his ownself and he looks like he is going to last and be a threat for a good minute.

and now that Bruno is hitting on both R&B and Pop and balancing both worlds nicely is he having the career that you thought that Maxwell was going to have?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
don't really see the comparison....
May 03rd 2013
i see bruno got you stumped
May 03rd 2013
      El Debarge run? Max had a glorious run mayn
May 03rd 2013
      Maxwell ain't counted since "fortunate" and he choked
May 04th 2013
           embrya was great.
May 04th 2013
           RE: embrya was corny
May 04th 2013
                again, it's a matter of taste.
May 04th 2013
                     embrya was used as a Coaster and that is why Maxwell
May 04th 2013
                          kellz doesn't have anything on the same level as embrya
May 05th 2013
                          if Kell put out embrya type of Muzak
May 05th 2013
                               i think i was one of the first to acknowledge to u Max's Kells influence...
May 07th 2013
                                    fortunate saved maxwell's behind
May 07th 2013
                          just sales-wise, Embrya still went plat. as did all his studio LPs
May 07th 2013
                               Embrya still sucks aside from a couple of songs
May 07th 2013
           RE: Maxwell ain't counted since "fortunate" and he choked
May 04th 2013
                RE: Maxwell ain't counted since "fortunate" and he choked
May 04th 2013
                like Sade's Soldier of Love, it sold due to the wait & loyal fanbase
May 05th 2013
                     RE: like Sade's Soldier of Love, it sold due to the wait & loyal...
May 05th 2013
                          pretty wing was nice, however the real Maxwell got kidnapped
May 05th 2013
                               RE: pretty wing was nice, however the real Maxwell got kidnapped
May 05th 2013
                                    if i have none then Murph you is a groupie ok and I'm pulling no
May 05th 2013
                                         RE: if i have none then Murph you is a groupie ok and I'm pulling no
May 05th 2013
                                              RE: if i have none then Murph you is a groupie ok and I'm pulling no
May 05th 2013
      Nope never
May 03rd 2013
?
May 03rd 2013
They never ever make sense at all
May 03rd 2013
R&B/POP artists
May 04th 2013
Nah more like Rick Springfield.
May 03rd 2013
Bruno will be around for a long time
May 03rd 2013
This is just strange....
May 03rd 2013
not strange at all
May 04th 2013
      RE: not strange at all
May 04th 2013
           RE: not strange at all
May 04th 2013
will you STOP
May 03rd 2013
Solo career? What group was Bruno Mars in before this? Inform. n/m
May 03rd 2013
If not for his complexion...would anyone connect Bruno with R&B ??
May 03rd 2013
he could look like Issac Hayes, his music is NOT r&b
May 03rd 2013
People like to tell it like pop and r&b have a lot of crossover
May 03rd 2013
why don't you post in here like you do in sports
May 03rd 2013
fucking shit man
May 03rd 2013
B.Mars Doesn't Even Have The Music Chops That Maxwell Has
May 03rd 2013
[please state who has followed Maxwell?
May 04th 2013
RE: B.Mars Doesn't Even Have The Music Chops That Maxwell Has
May 04th 2013
      RE: B.Mars Doesn't Even Have The Music Chops That Maxwell Has
May 04th 2013
turkeys can't hear the Michael Jackson influence on Bruno
May 04th 2013
Bruno Mars music sounds like a Disney Nikcelodean soundtrack
May 04th 2013
      Bruno bout to make turkeys eat crow he bout to do it up
May 04th 2013
Maxwell is a straight R&B artist. Bruno isn't.
May 04th 2013
maxwell is a hybrid artist
May 04th 2013
      A hybrid of what? 70s, 80s and 90s soul? lol
May 05th 2013
Bruno Mars>>>> D'angelo
May 05th 2013
RE: Bruno Mars>>>> D'angelo co sign
May 06th 2013
Nothing to see here, folks....
May 05th 2013
so Bruno Mars>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Prince
May 06th 2013
      lol... .what in theee hell...
May 06th 2013
           yeah Bruno got him beat easily
May 06th 2013
                Have you ever been to a Prince concert?
May 06th 2013
                     i've been to 3 prince shows and they were hit and miss IMO
May 06th 2013
                     RE: Have you ever been to a Prince concert?
May 11th 2013
                          the prince concerts i went to he was hit and miss
May 11th 2013
i don't think Maxwell wants anything Bruno has or vice versa...
May 07th 2013
maxwell if he hadn't choked
May 07th 2013
      LOL you don't know WHUT THEE FUCK YOU'RE TALKIN BOUT
May 11th 2013
           who doing song and video with alicia keys?
May 11th 2013
Bruno Mars,R.Kelly and Michael Jackson the 3 baddest music acts
May 08th 2013

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Fri May-03-13 12:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "don't really see the comparison...."
In response to Reply # 0

honestly to me Bruno Mars is a bit of a cornball...lol. I mean he's talented...

but he's making pop music...yeah it will touch the R and B charts... but there is really not a lot of authentic R and b on the current charts...so if Bruno mars is touching it when some of his pop stuff...it's really not doing anything..

dude sells records..

but honestly it's like modern day bubble gum pop ... it's cool..though....again..dude is talented..

and not that Maxwell was/is Al Green or anything...but he's always tried to make a more R and b type of music.

and he wasn't no for sure hall of famer...but he's made a lot of solid music...and puts on a good concert now...

his last album is nothing something Bruno Mars will ever be touching...

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Fri May-03-13 01:53 AM

2. "i see bruno got you stumped "
In response to Reply # 1

i mean you call him corny but talented,etc.. i mean this cat can write and is locked in as we speak.

scary part he ain't even hit his prime or peak, thus far he is on the right path, just gotta hit that track and if he does watch out.

maxwell is a cat who should have had at least a el debarge run, instead of being a borderline unsung act.

i think bruno could write that comeback hit for maxwell and i say this after seeing that video with alicia keys and maxwell.

everybody knows maxwell should have been a household name.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Fri May-03-13 03:08 AM

3. "El Debarge run? Max had a glorious run mayn"
In response to Reply # 2

stayed making great music ("Now" was borderline, but grows on u) and came back STRONG. dunno how ur writing Max off so easily, dude's still got two more albums on the way, and just poked his head up again for the first time in years on the A. Keys vid (and completely stole the song).

Bruno ain't no Max.
Max carried that 80s baby artiste thing with him from jump n wore his 80s soul/r&b influences on his silky sleeves.
once Bruno makes anything NEAR "Urban Hang Suite" and "Embrya" (not likely, but justsayin), THEN we could have this discussion.
but Max wasnt ever really "bubblegum" but at the same time was popular (but not "pop", if u get me).

there's also the important point that sumone in Bruno's position can't release the album THEY wanna make from jump like Max did. from all accounts, Max had free reign over his shit like P. T. Anderson does as a director (eg. 'final cut' privileges).

i mean i know ur basing the comparison on future projections, and whether or not Max "choked" is debatable. and considering El's career wasn't going anywhere for a long time either...a lot of these comparisons are a stretch to me. but if u explain it moar im sure i can see ur POV as always.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat May-04-13 02:00 AM

18. "Maxwell ain't counted since "fortunate" and he choked"
In response to Reply # 3

nearly a decade away. ain't nobody losing no sleep over a blackknight trilogy at all.

Maxwell is clearly on the verge of unsung as we speak and embriya was his terrence trent d'arby artsy pretenious 2nd album that nearly sanked him. "fortunate" was what the doctored ordered.

i like maxwell however he peaked from 96-99 and been hit and alot of miss since 00.

he burried his ownself

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Sat May-04-13 05:38 AM

25. "embrya was great."
In response to Reply # 18

fortunate was run of the mill.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat May-04-13 10:22 AM

26. "RE: embrya was corny"
In response to Reply # 25

there i fixed it for you and fortunate was classic

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Sat May-04-13 11:28 PM

31. "again, it's a matter of taste."
In response to Reply # 26

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat May-04-13 11:45 PM

35. "embrya was used as a Coaster and that is why Maxwell"
In response to Reply # 31

was tickle Pink when R.Kelly saved his career basically.

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Sun May-05-13 02:56 PM

44. "kellz doesn't have anything on the same level as embrya"
In response to Reply # 35

or urban hang suite, for that matter.

you don't have to agree, but know that you're wrong.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sun May-05-13 03:04 PM

45. " if Kell put out embrya type of Muzak"
In response to Reply # 44

then I would expect the jay Leno crowd to clap on time. thank goodness he doesn't.

Urban Hang suite was very good, however "till the cops come knockin" sounds like a 12 play outtake you need to go back and listen.

like i said Fortunate saved Maxwell's career because he was headed toward that Sophomore Terrence Trent D'arby/Al B Sure Sophomore slump used bin stand to go away and never to return and ya know this Playa

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Tue May-07-13 02:00 AM

57. "i think i was one of the first to acknowledge to u Max's Kells influence..."
In response to Reply # 45

..and TTCCK is definitely from the same vein as 12 Play era Kells.
but...that was pretty much it.
the rest of UHS wasn't Kelly-related.
and to be honest, he OUT-Kellz'd Kellz on that track lol.
Robert never had a band get busy on his 12 Playish stuff the way Max & co did on that track. so there's THAT.

and i'll repeat it again so anyone else out here reading this shit sees this: Fortunate didn't SAVE Maxwell from anything. it was a hit song. plain and simple. to demean the work he did on Embrya is some extra thick hate that is totally unnecessary. in terms of songWRITING, it was pretty stock standard. it was the track itself and Max's vocals that elevated into the hit it became.

(it also happens to share the spot for my fav album of alltime, so im biased, but then again so is everyone).

V.

---

DROkayplayerâ„¢

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Tue May-07-13 11:32 AM

59. "fortunate saved maxwell's behind"
In response to Reply # 57

you don't live here in america and embrya almost got maxwell deported for being pretenious and corny alone. Billi Clinton our president at the time was like Homie, that urban hang suite and unplug were off and popping, however umbrella i mean embrya gonna make me raise taxes. and nobody knows what embrya meant anyway.

no money tracks and songs that went nowhere R.Kelly kept maxwell from being unsung and deported because that cornt album wasn't much

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Tue May-07-13 01:15 AM

55. "just sales-wise, Embrya still went plat. as did all his studio LPs"
In response to Reply # 35

Kells didn't save his career.
if anything he made Max take a watered down approach to his music going forward. Embrya was the start of something special, but it got torpedoed by the success of Fortunate. double-edged sword if u ask me.

butye, ur placing too much importance on Fortunate. that wasn't nearly close to being his career-defining or career-saving moment. far as im concerned, his career didn't need "saving". that part is strictly ur opinion. Max BEEN good and consistent in his own lane since he started.

Embrya, if we're guna draw a comparison that you'll dig, is akin to R's self-titled joint. lotsa texture, lotsa expression of deeper personal emotions, slightly left of the prevailing sounds of the day (moreso with Max than Kells). so what boxes does Embrya NOT tick to pass ur standard, man?

V.

---

DROkayplayerâ„¢

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Tue May-07-13 01:34 AM

56. " Embrya still sucks aside from a couple of songs"
In response to Reply # 55

he never has since had a better song since fortunate.

nobody in the real world was breaking there neck over embrya.

instead folks thought and said he caught that terrence trent d'abry, al b sure sophomore flu and never fully musically recovered.

embrya was alot of jamming and no songs or structure and quite frankly it put me to sleep.

maxwell ain't made nothing seeing r.kelly's self title album period.

maxwell was happening from 96-99 and just kinda there since

embrya went platinum and i bet the record company 300,000 of those joints

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Sat May-04-13 10:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
27. "RE: Maxwell ain't counted since "fortunate" and he choked"
In response to Reply # 18

>nearly a decade away. ain't nobody losing no sleep over a
>blackknight trilogy at all.

Come on dog....A platinum comeback album...a sold out tour...A Grammy winning, gold-selling, top 40 single ("Pretty Wings") that was nominated for Song of the Year...

U trying too hard on this one...

If that's choking every artist should shoot for that shit...lol

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat May-04-13 11:41 PM

32. "RE: Maxwell ain't counted since "fortunate" and he choked"
In response to Reply # 27

nobody cares about him except starbucks dranking Buppies and yuppies who loved "the best man" type of movies, and he was touring with Sade and you know he is headed toward loungeville ala John legend.

Maxwell choked he could have given R.Kelly a little bit of a run

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun May-05-13 05:17 AM

37. "like Sade's Soldier of Love, it sold due to the wait & loyal fanbase"
In response to Reply # 27

but both are fairly underwhelming after the dust settles.

And a tour for a legacy/catalog artist after a long layoff doesn't really have much to do with their current album.

murph71
23113 posts
Sun May-05-13 12:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
38. "RE: like Sade's Soldier of Love, it sold due to the wait & loyal..."
In response to Reply # 37
Sun May-05-13 12:37 PM by murph71

>but both are fairly underwhelming after the dust settles.
>
>And a tour for a legacy/catalog artist after a long layoff
>doesn't really have much to do with their current album.

Loyal fanbases have nothing to do with a song being nominated for a Grammy-Song of the Year, though ...U go beyond your fanbase when that happens...That's not just some, "Oh, we glad u r back" acknowledgment...That's a real impact...

I'm talking about the critical reaction to "Pretty Wings"....And even when we go into the "sales" part of it all, u discover that the song ranks amongst his highest charting "pop" singles...And u discover that those over 316,000 fans that picked up Blacksummer's Night that first week represents his best numbers of his career....U have to look at Maxwell's history when judging his success...Before "Pretty Wings" dude had only two other gold singles....He's never been a huge player on the pop charts; he's done all his damage on the R&B charts...But he made a song that got play everywhere...

So for Maxwell to come out with his first song in years and cross over in such a way, when u and I know that the downloading and buying public, beyond his hardcore fans, were not even thinking about dude like that, to me says what a success that project was...

Hell, I've always been more of of D'Angelo/Badu guy than Maxwell...But u really can't judge that entire Blacksummer's Night project without hearing the next installments and seeing how the public will react to them...

And legacy artist? I would hardly call someone who has 4 albums in his catalogue a legacy artist....

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sun May-05-13 12:14 PM

39. "pretty wing was nice, however the real Maxwell got kidnapped"
In response to Reply # 38

and turned into a bob eubanks version of John Legend. dude is boring and them songs were just there and also his voice ain't hitting as hard as it use to. however Maxwell>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>D'angelo and badu put together and it ain't close. Mumblo and Wino doo doo couldn't hold maxwell's old afro pick.

maxwell toured with sade and that is a win.

sade is borederline legend with only a handful of albums.

you don't need 99 albums to be a legend MJ could have retired after thriller and walked.

stevie wonder after innervisions or marvin gaye after what's going on.

you make a statement period

murph71
23113 posts
Sun May-05-13 12:20 PM

40. "RE: pretty wing was nice, however the real Maxwell got kidnapped"
In response to Reply # 39

U have no credibility Max...I mean, u had little before...But the whole Bruno Mars >>>> Prince thing has pretty much tarnished your musical views even more...As if that were even possible...

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sun May-05-13 02:21 PM

41. "if i have none then Murph you is a groupie ok and I'm pulling no"
In response to Reply # 40

punches now

you are a two bit half baked writer and sucking up to Quincy Jones and vibe can't cover the holes in what you call writing

all you do is clique ride and roll

any turkey can call themselves a writer if a turkey like you and toure are even calling that a Legal Occupation.

lame two bit 4th tier writers like you turkeys outta pay me to read that corny soap opera half sentence garbage you pass off as writing and a career.

opinion everybody got one and mine is that you suck and think the sun rises and the moon sparkles outta your hind parts.

turkey if you weren't here nobody would miss you.

just another purple Kool Aid stuck in a time warp Groupie ole relic juice aligator eating jive hash brown and eggs turkey.

and the bulls are going to get the Broom by the miami heat BirdMan all over you over hyped garbage 2nd tier team. aside from Noah your team is soft.

your posts are about as deep as Pete Myers career in place of michael Jordan.

ole wack corny turkey don't ever respond to me again with your jive.

I'll write you under any table in north america even without a Pen

and you can quote me on that.

you are offically an Enemy now.

murph71
23113 posts
Sun May-05-13 02:27 PM

42. "RE: if i have none then Murph you is a groupie ok and I'm pulling no"
In response to Reply # 41

No credibility, Maxx...

As long as u stay on the shock posting kick, u will be looked as OKP's nutty ass mascot...No diss...Just speaking truth....

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sun May-05-13 02:54 PM

43. "RE: if i have none then Murph you is a groupie ok and I'm pulling no"
In response to Reply # 42

as long as you follow behind me and speak you have no credibility at all and bottom line i don't care what you think about me because I'm me regardless and you need to rock your own lane Pete Myers.

saito2
Member since Apr 12th 2013
28 posts
Fri May-03-13 07:31 AM

4. "Nope never"
In response to Reply # 2

Comparisons aside

>i think bruno could write that comeback hit for maxwell

This would really, really be a bad idea and thankfully I'm glad to say will prob (I hope) never happen.

murph71
23113 posts
Fri May-03-13 07:44 AM

5. "?"
In response to Reply # 0

Pretty puzzling comparison....

saito2
Member since Apr 12th 2013
28 posts
Fri May-03-13 09:06 AM

7. "They never ever make sense at all"
In response to Reply # 5

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat May-04-13 02:02 AM

19. "R&B/POP artists"
In response to Reply # 5

both songwriters, singers, versatility and not that different all.

you act like i said gill scott heron and joe tex?

Artful Dodger
Member since Nov 20th 2009
8361 posts
Fri May-03-13 08:33 AM

6. "Nah more like Rick Springfield."
In response to Reply # 0

tapedeck
Member since Dec 27th 2004
6785 posts
Fri May-03-13 09:22 AM

8. "Bruno will be around for a long time"
In response to Reply # 0

I really enjoyed his albums. His LIVE shows will keep the money flowing for him too. MAXWELL's career is still hot to me. All his albums are solid.

Check out NEW Soul music at: www.myspace.com/starbeing

Bumpin in the STEREO:
Gladys Knight&The Pips
Donald Byrd-Ethiopian Knights
Gene Dunlap -IJTWIF
T.I.-TMHITH
The Whispers-Love For Love
LoKey-B2TH

murph71
23113 posts
Fri May-03-13 09:51 AM

9. "This is just strange...."
In response to Reply # 0

1. Maxwell has been in the biz since 1996...He has his platinum albums (even more than El DeBarge)...he has his critical acclaim, and he has his comeback album and successful tour...He makes music when he wants to...It is what it is...

2. Bruno Mars is an entirely different lane...And what he does, he does well...He's actually better than some people even understand...And his live show is dope...Seriously...But he's more on the pop-soul infused lane...

3. Comparing Bruno and Max would be like comparing Pink to Erykah Badu...That sounds weird, too, right?

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat May-04-13 02:05 AM

20. "not strange at all"
In response to Reply # 9

because both are R&B/POP hybrid artists. i mean maxwell " this woman work" covering kate bush and his slow jams would inspire a bruno mars, not far fetched at all.

Pink will try anything musically and badu falls into bag that's a fair comparrison except Pink knows how to keep a hit while badu underwrites and lives off beats.

murph71
23113 posts
Sat May-04-13 11:03 AM

29. "RE: not strange at all"
In response to Reply # 20

Nah...it's pretty fucking strange...

And par for the course for you, homie....

Maxwell just happens to be one of those acts that got a lot of love on OKP back in the days...So as usual, you go after OKP's former favorites...

It is what it is...

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat May-04-13 11:44 PM

34. "RE: not strange at all"
In response to Reply # 29

you just madd because it carries weight and Bruno might be the most important Hybrid Artist Since R.Kelly. and Maxwell ain't counted since R.Kelly hooked him up and you know this.

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Fri May-03-13 09:54 AM

10. "will you STOP"
In response to Reply # 0

no wonder the Lesson is dead good God

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Fri May-03-13 11:06 AM

11. "Solo career? What group was Bruno Mars in before this? Inform. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif
http://i50.tinypic.com/hvqi4w.jpg

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Fri May-03-13 11:09 AM

12. "If not for his complexion...would anyone connect Bruno with R&B ??"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean strictly based on his music...and what his perceived target demographic is....

from where I sit..the only thing that makes Bruno even slightly pallatable to a so-called R&B audience would be the fact that he's "ethnic"..

based on his music...he's a pop artist exclusively...

again..talented guy for that lane though.

kysersozey
Charter member
13602 posts
Fri May-03-13 03:49 PM

14. "he could look like Issac Hayes, his music is NOT r&b"
In response to Reply # 12

Dr_Gonzo
Member since Feb 07th 2007
1523 posts
Fri May-03-13 04:20 PM

15. "People like to tell it like pop and r&b have a lot of crossover"
In response to Reply # 12

And whether or not they do, BM is pop. And no matter who he bites next, he'll still be pop.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Fri May-03-13 11:27 AM

13. "why don't you post in here like you do in sports"
In response to Reply # 0

you sensible and measured, you sound ridiculous all the time in here

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Fri May-03-13 06:14 PM

16. "fucking shit man"
In response to Reply # 0

this is just terrible lmao

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Fri May-03-13 10:39 PM

17. "B.Mars Doesn't Even Have The Music Chops That Maxwell Has"
In response to Reply # 0

...so why even compare that jive turkey to Maxwell, Maxwell made a lane for himself that everyone wanted to follow, not many people trying to follow Bruno Mars...labels are but not artists.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat May-04-13 02:13 AM

22. "[please state who has followed Maxwell?"
In response to Reply # 17

his anty, uncle, cousins, etc.. at a family bar b que for 2nds don't count.

maxwell while a good artist ain't a great one and he never got the fullness out of his career at all.

he is unsung. i dig his voice, debut album unplugged and fortunate, the rest is hit and miss and it equals a good but also imcomplete career

murph71
23113 posts
Sat May-04-13 11:00 AM

28. "RE: B.Mars Doesn't Even Have The Music Chops That Maxwell Has"
In response to Reply # 17
Sat May-04-13 11:08 AM by murph71

Actually, Bruno Mars has more musical chops than Max...But I just happen to like Max's music more....

But talent wise? Mars is pretty stacked...

>...so why even compare that jive turkey to Maxwell, Maxwell
>made a lane for himself that everyone wanted to follow, not
>many people trying to follow Bruno Mars...labels are but not
>artists.

They shouldn't be compared because Maxwell and Mars are in too different lanes serving too different audiences...

But not for the reasons u r pointing out, though...

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat May-04-13 11:46 PM

36. "RE: B.Mars Doesn't Even Have The Music Chops That Maxwell Has"
In response to Reply # 28

bruno is the only person out now that could bring Maxwell back as we speak and maxwell would grow a Fro Puff to have a hit again

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat May-04-13 02:10 AM

21. "turkeys can't hear the Michael Jackson influence on Bruno"
In response to Reply # 0

ding, ding we have a winner.

i can tell turkeys got wax build up. the MJ thing is over bruno.

and bruno been influenced by the R&B/Pop hybrid styling.

bruno ain't got the bobby womack, joe tex, billy paul thing, however the leeroy hutson vibe can be felt.

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Sat May-04-13 11:18 AM

30. "Bruno Mars music sounds like a Disney Nikcelodean soundtrack"
In response to Reply # 21

maybe the Hallmark channel...

That ain't no R&B man..

I'll roll with Toro Y Moi over Bruno Mars.....for real.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat May-04-13 11:43 PM

33. "Bruno bout to make turkeys eat crow he bout to do it up"
In response to Reply # 30

and Bruno got the goods i know he is better than alot of cats.

Ashley Ayers
Member since Dec 12th 2009
12331 posts
Sat May-04-13 02:26 AM

23. "Maxwell is a straight R&B artist. Bruno isn't."
In response to Reply # 0

Bruno is a pop act with MJ influence... which is the Poppiest R&B
influence you can have, lol. MJ is the ONE R&B artist you'll know
even you don't even listen to R&B, so I wouldn't even call Bruno an
R&B artist. He's a pop artist for sure.
Maxwell, however, was never anything but R&B. Sure, he covered Kate
Bush, but he also covered "Closer" by NIN on the same album and made
it sound like a damn James Brown song. He's nothing but a soul artist.

They can't be compared.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat May-04-13 02:59 AM

24. "maxwell is a hybrid artist"
In response to Reply # 23

and a bruno mars could bring him back.

Ashley Ayers
Member since Dec 12th 2009
12331 posts
Sun May-05-13 10:05 PM

47. "A hybrid of what? 70s, 80s and 90s soul? lol"
In response to Reply # 24

Cynthia_Rose
Member since Jan 01st 2013
1262 posts
Sun May-05-13 09:57 PM

46. "Bruno Mars>>>> D'angelo"
In response to Reply # 0

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Mon May-06-13 12:26 AM

49. "RE: Bruno Mars>>>> D'angelo co sign"
In response to Reply # 46

Bruno more soulful than Mumblo as well

murph71
23113 posts
Sun May-05-13 10:22 PM

48. "Nothing to see here, folks...."
In response to Reply # 0

Just click the link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2769325&mesg_id=2769325&page=

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Mon May-06-13 09:11 PM

50. "so Bruno Mars>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Prince"
In response to Reply # 48

Yeah and its real. Bruno is the now and the happening now

Artful Dodger
8361 posts
Mon May-06-13 09:37 PM

51. "lol... .what in theee hell... "
In response to Reply # 50

I been missing out around here

lol

man...

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Mon May-06-13 09:46 PM

52. "yeah Bruno got him beat easily"
In response to Reply # 51

Bruno does a better Elvis Presley than him as well

Artful Dodger
8361 posts
Mon May-06-13 09:56 PM

53. "Have you ever been to a Prince concert?"
In response to Reply # 52
Mon May-06-13 09:59 PM by Artful Dodger

Serious question and if so when and where? Not to put you on the spot but it all adds up.

Are you familiar with Prince's accomplishments?

I mean mind you Bruno is huge right now but.... uh...

There have been many who were in Prince's run, and he still remained just as successful in either album sales or concert runs.

Perhaps your basing your opinion on album sales in today's current market?

Not speaking for you just saying it's a little too soon, say almost 40 years too soon. lol.

Please forgive my Damon Dash opening line lol

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Mon May-06-13 11:24 PM

54. "i've been to 3 prince shows and they were hit and miss IMO"
In response to Reply # 53

Prince is overrated and played out. Bruno is more versatile and can pull off more things at the same time of there careers Bruno is ahead of the curve and a better songwriter and he has a wide open future.

this cat been performing since he was a kid and got the goods.

got the MJ meets Sting thing and ain't slowing down.

Prince never was touching MJ either.

Prince had one great decade and been riding off the past for so long it ain't even funny. i told you Prince ain't counted since Corey Fieldman an Corey Haim were making pictures together or since Gary COleman and todd bridges were in prime time.

bruno going to be around period and got a strong live show

Prince don't move me he is kids stuff and boring ole grandpa muzak

murph71
23113 posts
Sat May-11-13 10:21 AM

64. "RE: Have you ever been to a Prince concert?"
In response to Reply # 53

Have u not been paying attention to this man???? lol....

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat May-11-13 09:43 PM

65. "the prince concerts i went to he was hit and miss"
In response to Reply # 64

and that is sad because that is all he has left since he outta be banned for life from a recording studio with that garbage he keeps putting out. i mean really this turkey hyping that corny "Screwdriver" and he can't even sing no more. just real sad and a turkey who needs to sit down somewhere and allow a R.Kelly and a Bruno Mars to bring him back

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Tue May-07-13 11:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
58. "i don't think Maxwell wants anything Bruno has or vice versa..."
In response to Reply # 0

...completely different careers that each man runs well welll ...at this point neither does anything they don't wanna do...

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Tue May-07-13 11:36 AM

60. "maxwell if he hadn't choked "
In response to Reply # 58

he would have crossed over with ease. bruno could bring maxwell back. maxwell is background music to most folks now, starbucks and a shot of sugar to stir. maxwell choked a sure thang career

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sat May-11-13 02:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
62. "LOL you don't know WHUT THEE FUCK YOU'RE TALKIN BOUT"
In response to Reply # 60

lotta people still got love for maxwell, pack his concerts, buy albums, etc, but ok....everybody doesn't wanna crossover homie...but you keep that hate cooking, i'ma let this one go....

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat May-11-13 02:48 AM

63. "who doing song and video with alicia keys?"
In response to Reply # 62

Maxwell was a cross over sensation ready to happen until he choked.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed May-08-13 01:25 AM

61. "Bruno Mars,R.Kelly and Michael Jackson the 3 baddest music acts"
In response to Reply # 0

over the past 30 years easily and MJ influenced R.Kelly and bruno mars

Lobby The Lesson topic #2802081 Previous topic | Next topic