Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2797445

Subject: "your top 5 All time Trumpet players and where does Miles Davis rank?" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 02:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"your top 5 All time Trumpet players and where does Miles Davis rank?"

listening to trumpet players all my life and there have been so many great ones including Clifford Brown, Clark Terry, dizzy,Donald Byrd

so who are your top 5 and where does Miles Davis figure in the mix?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It depends on what you mean
Apr 18th 2013
RE: Jakob; always doing the right thing.
Apr 18th 2013
      Woody Shaw killed it in the 70's...
Apr 18th 2013
           RE: Oh man, do I have a recommendation for you!
Apr 18th 2013
           Yeah, I never heard that one...
Apr 18th 2013
           i only have one of his albums, Moontrane...
Apr 20th 2013
miles davis is really the only one i know
Apr 18th 2013
RE: miles davis is really the only one i know
Apr 18th 2013
RE: You're not really doing yourself a disservice either.
Apr 18th 2013
LEE MORGAN RULES THEM ALL!
Apr 18th 2013
Me, Me, Me, Me, Me, cause I blow that hot fire.
Apr 18th 2013
RE: your top 5 All time Trumpet players and where does Miles Davis rank...
Apr 18th 2013
Wynton is a reall nigger, but he can play tho
Apr 19th 2013
1. miles
Apr 18th 2013
as artists, Miles is up there with Freddie Hubbard
Apr 19th 2013

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 05:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It depends on what you mean"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-18-13 05:38 PM by Jakob Hellberg

Ar4e4 we talking about the trumpet player as a musician or as an ''artist'' with everything that goes with it (=a vision for the entire band on how they should sound, the arrangements etc.).

If it's the latter, Miles is the obvious winner for me.

If it's the former however, I LOVE Lee Morgan; not so much his albums but his note-choices, tone etc. Anyway, as a musician, he is my favorite trumpeter.

Some other ones I dig:

Woody Shaw-VERY underrated; could play everything from straight hard bop to avantgarde and do it with style and personality. A lot of people dismissed him as a Freddie Hubbard-rip off but while Hubbard is more ''important'', I like Shaw more.

Lester Bowie (Art ensemble of chicago)-mostly known as an avant-garde trumpeter but unlike many other in that style, he had amazing technique and a knowledge of everything from the oldest New Orleans-jazz to 12-tone classical weirdness

Booker Little-Unfortunately, he died very young but a lot of people at the time supposedly thought he would be the next Clifford Brown and while he had that style, he was also a bit avant-garde and quirky. I love the records he did with Eric Dolphy and how he played there.

Bill Dixon-Another weird free-jazz guy who I don't think had the best technique but like Miles, he had great concepts and made very dark and moody music that's perfect for winters and autumns. Check out "Intents and purposes" or the many records he did on Soul Note in the 80's.

And obviously, I dig Dizzy and Clifford Brown and for some more obscure picks: Ted Curson (who played with Mingus) and Charles Tolliver (Jackie McLean and the Strata-east stuff) Hubbard too of course.

And Don Cherry was one sloppy motherfucker but he made a lot of great music and had tons of killer ideas and SOME of his solos with Ornette Coleman was actually extremely memorable (the one on "Congeniality"=wow!)
EDIT:I meant ''Chronology".

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 08:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "RE: Jakob; always doing the right thing."
In response to Reply # 1
Thu Apr-18-13 08:06 PM by Austin

Good calls on Woody Shaw and Charles Tolliver. Really love that early 70's Woody Shaw stuff with George Cables (an underrated pianist, in his own right).

A player that I've always liked is Kenny Dorham. All of his Blue Note stuff with Joe Henderson is top tier and it hints at the more soulful approach Henderson would take in the 70's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNrpKFA9F9M

The Dorham/Henderson co-leader sessions are all amongst my favorite of the Blue Note glory years.

~Austin

Latest 'choon: "it was a bad day."
http://bit.ly/138L3zy

"Look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it."
—Jules Renard

http://austintayeshus.blogspot.com/

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 08:27 PM

9. "Woody Shaw killed it in the 70's..."
In response to Reply # 7

I haven't heard anything after "Rosewood" (smoking album and with Joe Henderson too) but at least until then, he just delivered at a time when "straight", acoustic jazz was out. In a way, his 70's albums were the precursors to Wynton and those conservative in the 80's but I find Shaw SO much better and there are subtle hints of fusion and other stuff there as well; they don't sound throwback at all in spite of being (mostly) acoustic and "post-bop" in the 70's. And for more wild, fusion-esque stuff, "Blackstone Legacy" is a banger.

And I love what he did in the 60's on albums like Larry Young's "Unity" and Jackie McLean's "Demon dance" (underrated album). Actually, that he wasn't used more often on Blue Note albums is strange to me; Hubbard played on SO many records-I wish they (=the Blue Note guys and the leading musicians) would have given Shaw more chances because he deserved it.

And yes, I love the Dorham/Henderson-records too. Even the le4ss famous "Our thing" record where you can hear Andrew Hill in a rare sideman situation (that one and Hutchersons "Dialogue" are the only ones I know off the top)

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 08:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "RE: Oh man, do I have a recommendation for you!"
In response to Reply # 9

>
>And yes, I love the Dorham/Henderson-records too. Even the
>le4ss famous "Our thing" record where you can hear Andrew Hill
>in a rare sideman situation (that one and Hutchersons
>"Dialogue" are the only ones I know off the top)

Our Thing and Dialogue kick major ass — agreed.

Not sure how much of an Andrew Hill fan you are (I'm assuming you're pretty well-versed), but I just got hipped to this one myself: http://www.allmusic.com/album/conflict-mw0000028623

Altoist Jimmy Woods (not to be confused with bassist Jimmy Woode) led just a couple sessions from what I gather, but this album is an absolute firecracker. It's in that "out but still in" mode that Andrew knew so well and his influence over the session is immediately recognizable. Guaranteed: if it were released on Blue Note or Impulse, it would have been considered right there with Out to Lunch as one of the major gateways to "the new thing." It's that good.

~Austin

—Jules Renard

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 09:02 PM

12. "Yeah, I never heard that one..."
In response to Reply # 11
Thu Apr-18-13 09:04 PM by Jakob Hellberg

Looks right up my alley. There is a lot of good stuff that wasn't released on inpulse and Blue Note 60's that doesn't include the typical rotating cast of musicians that deserve more credit. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the two semi-free/semi-post bop records Prince Lasha and Sonny Simmons did on Contemporary-"Firebirds" in particular which even features Hutcherson for some of that "Out to lunch!"-flavour. Had those records been released on Blue Note, they would have been classics but since the musicians were on the westcoast, they were "outside" of the hip scene. Oh well...

I'll check that album out, thanks for the tip...

EDIT:And I'm a big Andrew Hill-fan but this one has slipped me by completely...

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Sat Apr-20-13 12:19 AM

15. "i only have one of his albums, Moontrane..."
In response to Reply # 9

on Muse...it's a fucking amazing record

reading up on him the other day it appears he was quite an innovator, highly skilled & widely respected by peers

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 06:27 PM

2. "miles davis is really the only one i know"
In response to Reply # 0

:(

i've pretty much just been learning about jazz by getting miles davis albums.
if i like somebody else's playing, i'll check out other stuff they did.

so although this has made me aware of a few different piano players
and saxophone players and guitar players,

i don't know a single trumpet player outside of miles davis.

i didn't realize this until just now.

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 07:35 PM

4. "RE: miles davis is really the only one i know"
In response to Reply # 2

I know Dizzie Gillespie just from his cheeks puffing out crazy but probably couldn't pick out a song

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 07:52 PM

6. "RE: You're not really doing yourself a disservice either."
In response to Reply # 2

As Miles had sidemen in his bands that not only went on to have large catalogues themselves, but were among the best on their respective instruments.

Just not trumpet.

If you're looking for another player to move on to, Dizzy is obviously the logical next step.

~Austin

—Jules Renard

tapedeck
Member since Dec 27th 2004
6785 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 07:34 PM

3. "LEE MORGAN RULES THEM ALL!"
In response to Reply # 0

After him its up for grabs.

Check out NEW Soul music at: www.myspace.com/starbeing

Bumpin in the STEREO:
Gladys Knight&The Pips
Donald Byrd-Ethiopian Knights
Gene Dunlap -IJTWIF
T.I.-TMHITH
The Whispers-Love For Love
LoKey-B2TH

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 07:51 PM

5. "Me, Me, Me, Me, Me, cause I blow that hot fire."
In response to Reply # 0

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 08:11 PM

8. "RE: your top 5 All time Trumpet players and where does Miles Davis rank..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-18-13 08:16 PM by Deacon Blues

People love to hate on him but Wynton is awesome.

Miles is my favorite as an artist though technically others are probably better, whatever that means

but i dig in no particular order after Miles

Dizzy
Clifford Brown
Lee Morgan
Donald Byrd
Freddie Hubbard
Wynton Marsalis

dude

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18116 posts
Fri Apr-19-13 07:37 PM

14. "Wynton is a reall nigger, but he can play tho"
In response to Reply # 8

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Thu Apr-18-13 08:29 PM

10. "1. miles"
In response to Reply # 0

my next two favorites would be dizzy and freddie

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Coco la chapelle
Member since Sep 17th 2006
3019 posts
Fri Apr-19-13 03:33 AM

13. "as artists, Miles is up there with Freddie Hubbard"
In response to Reply # 0

and Dizzy Gilepsie

My other favourite trumpeters are known as much for their vocals as for their vocals.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2797445 Previous topic | Next topic