Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2786624

Subject: ""Your music sounds great, but..."" Previous topic | Next topic
Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Wed Mar-13-13 04:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""Your music sounds great, but...""

Okay, wanted to start this thread as a means of catharsis for all those that have heard those dreadful words lead off a critique of their blood, sweat and tears cum musical output.

Today, I had the pleasure of someone telling me that my beats sound great BUT I should make some trap beats. Now, maybe I'm wrong here, but, if I'm going to set out to sound just like everyone else, then, what makes my music special?

I've seen Lex Luger bite Shawty Redd's style only to have cats like the Beat Bully and Beat Billionaire bite Lex's style. Now, why would I want to slot myself into that carnivorous musical food chain?

While I'm at it, why do folks discourage individuality BUT as soon as some cat gets a hit using his own unique style, that now becomes the style they're telling you to imitate?

Makes no sense...

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
make some trap beats then.
Mar 13th 2013
I know how to make trap.
Mar 13th 2013
      truth
Mar 13th 2013
      do you want to satisfy yourself? or your critics?
Mar 14th 2013
           Not that I'm too worried...
Mar 18th 2013
i love that shit
Mar 14th 2013
Got any stories?
Mar 14th 2013
I wish my buddy posted on here.
Mar 14th 2013
Well, I don't see your advice as injurious at all...
Mar 18th 2013
true true
Mar 18th 2013
      RE: true true
Mar 19th 2013
RE: there are madlib sp videos?
Mar 19th 2013
You should disregard whatever that nigga says in the future.
Mar 14th 2013
That's how I feel...
Mar 18th 2013
1. you can't please everyone
Mar 14th 2013
RE: 1. you can't please everyone
Mar 18th 2013
if someone said to me "you should make some trap beats"
Mar 14th 2013
i hope you like mine :-(
Mar 18th 2013
      it's not even about trap tho
Mar 19th 2013
           oh, ok.
Mar 19th 2013
wheres ur beats @? i wanna hear
Mar 14th 2013
https://soundcloud.com/rachmannanoff
Mar 18th 2013
People are stupid and want to fit
Mar 14th 2013
This is very true!
Mar 18th 2013
one of my homeboys told me that
Mar 14th 2013
RE: one of my homeboys told me that
Mar 15th 2013
Definitely have to say that is true with your beats...
Mar 18th 2013
But, that's the thing...
Mar 18th 2013
So, here's another one...
Mar 18th 2013
fuck middle men
Mar 18th 2013
At some point your objectives must take precedent
Mar 18th 2013
Great nuggets of wisdom...
Mar 18th 2013
Yea. Simply doing EXACTLY what's hot will rarely ever work.
Mar 18th 2013
What's crazy is, this is kiiiinda why I stopped producing around 05-06
Mar 18th 2013
why does there have to be a 'but' if it's great?
Mar 19th 2013
collectivism vs individualism
Mar 19th 2013
i'm gonna be a dick here.
Mar 19th 2013
Well, you're entitled to your opinion.
Mar 19th 2013
      it is better to do without a bunch of track mutes
Mar 20th 2013
RE: "Your music sounds great, but..."
Mar 20th 2013

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Wed Mar-13-13 04:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "make some trap beats then. "
In response to Reply # 0

look at it as a learning experience. You might pick something up for your own sound.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Wed Mar-13-13 04:30 PM

2. "I know how to make trap."
In response to Reply # 1
Wed Mar-13-13 04:35 PM by Remedial

It's easy as shit. Thats why everyone does it. I'm just afraid of going hard at that and then getting pigeonholed as only that once the tides of music change, which I envision happening very soon.

Funny story: Back in 2005 - 2007 I was making trance influenced beats and you know what folks told me? I'm making dance music (and not in a positive way). Two years later, that's all you heard on the radio and that became the sound of urban music.

It just kind of goes to show that, really, for some people, they have to be told what to like. The true geniuses are the tastemakers that do the telling. Props to Jimmy Iovine.

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Wed Mar-13-13 09:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "truth"
In response to Reply # 2

-------------------------
“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B

camerongiIes
Member since Jun 12th 2006
1328 posts
Thu Mar-14-13 07:58 AM

6. "do you want to satisfy yourself? or your critics?"
In response to Reply # 2

seems like you're too worried about what other people think about the things you create. stay true to yourself, and people will come around eventually....until then, fuck 'em.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 10:53 AM

22. "Not that I'm too worried..."
In response to Reply # 6

>seems like you're too worried about what other people think
>about the things you create. stay true to yourself, and people
>will come around eventually....until then, fuck 'em.

Just that, you know, although I try to please myself first with this music ish, I do have the intent of also pleasing others. But comments like that really are of no use and are kind of like pretending to give advice without really giving it, nahmean?

For example, imagine you're a mechanic and while working underneath a car, it somehow gets slides off of it's elevated mount and you get trapped under it. You're not being crushed or anything but there's just not enough space for you to get out on your own volition.

So, someone comes by, sees this, and rather than helping you, they say: "You won't be able to finish working on that car unless you get it off of you."

That's what those kinds of comments equate to. You say something that makes sense in a way but doesn't really help the person your comments are directed to.

renebug
Member since Jan 11th 2009
22552 posts
Thu Mar-14-13 12:21 AM

4. "i love that shit"
In response to Reply # 0

my life aint life

its my life

--------------------------------

ive been told i need to be edgier

and shy away from hitting notes not in my range

work on my body
work the crowd more

all helpful things

u gotta love it if u want to be better.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Thu Mar-14-13 06:38 AM

5. "Got any stories?"
In response to Reply # 4

Didn't want this to be my own bitch session. Really would like folks to contribute their own experiences of that nature.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15302 posts
Thu Mar-14-13 08:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "I wish my buddy posted on here."
In response to Reply # 0

He's been fooling with SPs and Monomachines for about three years now it feels like after spending his formative years doing Ariel Pink, Kurt Vile and obscure folk covers on guitar. He makes these longform, noisy, sort of Animal Collective pieces (because he insists on vocals; otherwise, it's just some ambient almost-dance, almost-noise music) now, but my favorite parts of his music always comes in these little bite sized chunks.

He's always struggling with a stage name so I keep suggesting he should just fracture all his various impulses (he watches Madlib SP videos and gets frustrated he can't do the same things), get some Soundcloud accounts and just GO. It always rubs him the wrong way, but he kind of curls into his shell whenever I say it. I'd love to hear his unfiltered thoughts.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
"I don't read pages of rap lyrics, I listen to rap music." © Bombastic
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 10:12 AM

15. "Well, I don't see your advice as injurious at all..."
In response to Reply # 7

>He's been fooling with SPs and Monomachines for about three
>years now it feels like after spending his formative years
>doing Ariel Pink, Kurt Vile and obscure folk covers on guitar.
>He makes these longform, noisy, sort of Animal Collective
>pieces (because he insists on vocals; otherwise, it's just
>some ambient almost-dance, almost-noise music) now, but my
>favorite parts of his music always comes in these little bite
>sized chunks.
>
>He's always struggling with a stage name so I keep suggesting
>he should just fracture all his various impulses (he watches
>Madlib SP videos and gets frustrated he can't do the same
>things), get some Soundcloud accounts and just GO. It always
>rubs him the wrong way, but he kind of curls into his shell
>whenever I say it. I'd love to hear his unfiltered thoughts.

He definitely needs to focus if he wants to keep folks' attention. That whole fractured, multiple personality thing is cool ONCE you've already made it because it gives people more material to search out. But starting out, it may throw your audience for a curve and also kind of hamper his progress trying to tackle all these different genres.

And, he shouldn't be watching Madlib videos and getting upset because he can't do what Madlib does. Madlib has been at this for damn near 20 years and probably he mastered his own personal techniques. Your boy needs to develop his own. That's it.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15302 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 08:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
30. "true true"
In response to Reply # 15

I mean the thing is, his live set is essentially about four "tracks" woven together, and he writes a new show for every show. But these tracks are generally 8-20 minutes long, and have all these sweet ideas trapped inside of them that, from what I can tell at his shows, makes for a dissonant listen except for geeks like me and him.

So all I've ever said is, maybe let people digest those pieces individually, and in the process maybe you can find the personality you truly find inspiring. I bought him a Lou Rawls LP from Goodwill, All Things in Time, and he samples from it almost religiously. Yet at the same time his main set is very Animal Collective.Daniel Lopatin inspired.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
"I don't read pages of rap lyrics, I listen to rap music." © Bombastic
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Tue Mar-19-13 08:42 PM

37. "RE: true true"
In response to Reply # 30

>I mean the thing is, his live set is essentially about four
>"tracks" woven together, and he writes a new show for every
>show. But these tracks are generally 8-20 minutes long, and
>have all these sweet ideas trapped inside of them that, from
>what I can tell at his shows, makes for a dissonant listen
>except for geeks like me and him.

Nothing wrong playing for geeks and making challenging music, but, he just needs to keep in mind that music of that kind many times tends not to translate to a huge commercial following. It CAN, but, it can be a task. But, if it has been accomplished before, it can be accomplished again.

>So all I've ever said is, maybe let people digest those pieces
>individually, and in the process maybe you can find the
>personality you truly find inspiring. I bought him a Lou Rawls
>LP from Goodwill, All Things in Time, and he samples from it
>almost religiously. Yet at the same time his main set is very
>Animal Collective.Daniel Lopatin inspired.

That's definitely an option. That would really help if he intends to release a single. Also, maybe getting some other producers to remix his output might help to give it unique feel that he might not have even envisioned himself.

I can say that I listen to some stuff that leaves the casual music listener with a grimace in their face, stuff like Autechre, Squarepusher, ECM free jazz, etc..., and I enjoy the challenge they can be, not knowing what will follow, rather than my typical habit of knowing what chord/note will follow in popular music.

Your boy sounds like he's pretty dedicated to his craft (anyone that does an entirely new set for every show definitely is), has some pretty great musical templates to emulate (Maflib) and sounds as if just needs to refine and focus at this point.

rmcphedr
Member since Feb 11th 2006
501 posts
Tue Mar-19-13 09:19 PM

38. "RE: there are madlib sp videos?"
In response to Reply # 7

WHERE?! i need to see that shit now!

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Thu Mar-14-13 08:19 AM

8. "You should disregard whatever that nigga says in the future."
In response to Reply # 0

Your style isn't for them. Fuck em. If you have your own style stick with it cause who the hell wants to hear another lex luger ripoff?

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 10:13 AM

16. "That's how I feel..."
In response to Reply # 8

>Your style isn't for them. Fuck em. If you have your own
>style stick with it cause who the hell wants to hear another
>lex luger ripoff?

But, I hate to just cast off people's opinions like that. But, telling me to fall in line with the rest of the sheep isn't really constructive criticism.

no_alias
Member since Jan 12th 2004
1829 posts
Thu Mar-14-13 03:17 PM

9. "1. you can't please everyone"
In response to Reply # 0

2. I definitely feel your point re: how does making music that sounds like everything else make your music special or stand out? In a verse I wrote years ago, my first line was, "How much is originality worth today/if you can't get airplay unless you sound a certain way?" It definitely still applies to this day, and still just as puzzling.

3. For every person, ultimately it comes down to what drives you to do your craft. It sounds to me like you're doing YOUR thing, which may not necessarily be what is considered "hot" or "in" right now. It also seems like if you wanted to do "trap" beats, then that's how your music would come out.

As a beatmaker-on-hiatus for almost 2 years now, eventually I do plan on getting back to it, but I know that sounds/trends have changed in the couple of years I've been inactive. My artistic side says "do YOU, fuck what the current trends are, all that trap shit sounds more or less the same and I have no desire in mimicking the flavor of the moment. My "business" side says ain't nobody trying to hear that jazzy, Dilla-esque, lo-fi, unquantised noise! Gotta make them hi-hats sound like sprinkler systems to get paid! Gotta make that shit to get the youngins turnt up (lol at my usage of youngins...at 32 I'm not THAT old, but clearly I'm not fond of the majority of the stuff the new generation is on. That J-Zone article really resonated with me.)

My point is, if I give in to try to be "relevant", I go against what I make music for in the first place. For as long as I've been making beats, I've used it as a form of expression, to create music that I enjoy listening to. Even with the potential of making more money through following trends, if it doesn't move me, it wouldn't matter what money I'd make if the end result leaves me unfulfilled. Furthermore, if I were to decide to go that route, it would be on my own terms and not on some, "Your shit is dope, BUT we need you to make some shit that sounds like this" type of deal. That's my personal take, everyone is different. But I say all this to say that if you truly believe in what you're doing, those who suggest that you stray from your style don't understand why you create the way you do. You just have to follow what's most important to you (not you specifically, just in general.)

--------------
N/A (No Alias)

http://noalias.bandcamp.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/noalias80/videos?view=1
http://twitter.com/noalias
http://soundcloud.com/noalias80

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 11:02 AM

25. "RE: 1. you can't please everyone"
In response to Reply # 9

>2. I definitely feel your point re: how does making music
>that sounds like everything else make your music special or
>stand out? In a verse I wrote years ago, my first line was,
>"How much is originality worth today/if you can't get airplay
>unless you sound a certain way?" It definitely still applies
>to this day, and still just as puzzling.

Funny that you say that... I remember sometime last year I made a post asking, if most rappers nowadays don't put much effort into their lyrics and concentrate solely on swag (which almost anyone can at least PRETEND to have; shit, Yung Berg had HELLA SWAG), their beats are almost identical to everyone else's, etc... , then, why should I buy their album over the next man's?

>3. For every person, ultimately it comes down to what drives
>you to do your craft. It sounds to me like you're doing YOUR
>thing, which may not necessarily be what is considered "hot"
>or "in" right now. It also seems like if you wanted to do
>"trap" beats, then that's how your music would come out.

That's the ironic thing. I'm not even making stuff that's too obtuse. It's pretty centered stuff that I'm making. It's just not TRAP.

>As a beatmaker-on-hiatus for almost 2 years now, eventually I
>do plan on getting back to it, but I know that sounds/trends
>have changed in the couple of years I've been inactive. My
>artistic side says "do YOU, fuck what the current trends are,
>all that trap shit sounds more or less the same and I have no
>desire in mimicking the flavor of the moment. My "business"
>side says ain't nobody trying to hear that jazzy, Dilla-esque,
>lo-fi, unquantised noise! Gotta make them hi-hats sound like
>sprinkler systems to get paid! Gotta make that shit to get the
>youngins turnt up (lol at my usage of youngins...at 32 I'm not
>THAT old, but clearly I'm not fond of the majority of the
>stuff the new generation is on. That J-Zone article really
>resonated with me.)
>
Please point me in the direction of that J-Zone article. Now, also, if making that lo-fi stuff is what you like, then do it. I mean, truth be told, you're more likely to generate a loyal following making that stuff than making commercial sounding stuff. And, that loyal following is what gets you shows and shows are really where the money is these days.

>My point is, if I give in to try to be "relevant", I go
>against what I make music for in the first place. For as long
>as I've been making beats, I've used it as a form of
>expression, to create music that I enjoy listening to. Even
>with the potential of making more money through following
>trends, if it doesn't move me, it wouldn't matter what money
>I'd make if the end result leaves me unfulfilled. Furthermore,
>if I were to decide to go that route, it would be on my own
>terms and not on some, "Your shit is dope, BUT we need you to
>make some shit that sounds like this" type of deal. That's my
>personal take, everyone is different. But I say all this to
>say that if you truly believe in what you're doing, those who
>suggest that you stray from your style don't understand why
>you create the way you do. You just have to follow what's most
>important to you (not you specifically, just in general.)

Thanks. And, I'll say this, I have NO PROBLEM going for whatever the hottest trend is right now if folks are talking money. But, in most instances, the people telling you stand in a straight line are not the ones coming up out of pocket for a joint.

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Thu Mar-14-13 08:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "if someone said to me "you should make some trap beats""
In response to Reply # 0

i prolly never would listen to a word they have to say about music ever again

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 07:59 PM

27. "i hope you like mine :-("
In response to Reply # 10

--------------------------------------
https://smallprofessor.bandcamp.com

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Tue Mar-19-13 07:24 AM

31. "it's not even about trap tho"
In response to Reply # 27

its about someone telling me, you (or anyone) what type of music they should make (hence me telling you NOT to make trap beats wld also be smack-worthy lol)

the fact that trap is "popular" or "hot is relevant to what i said but not central

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Tue Mar-19-13 11:20 AM

33. "oh, ok."
In response to Reply # 31

what you said right there was very truthy

--------------------------------------
https://smallprofessor.bandcamp.com

Ezzsential
Charter member
11085 posts
Thu Mar-14-13 09:45 PM

11. "wheres ur beats @? i wanna hear"
In response to Reply # 0

~i dont deal with colors letters or any morse codes or beams~
"and suddenly the ghetto didnt seem so tough u thought u had it rough we always had enough"~tupac

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 10:24 AM

20. "https://soundcloud.com/rachmannanoff"
In response to Reply # 11

Wasn't really here to promote my stuff, but, since you asked...

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Thu Mar-14-13 10:24 PM

12. "People are stupid and want to fit"
In response to Reply # 0

Everyone into easy to define boxes.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 10:17 AM

17. "This is very true!"
In response to Reply # 12

>
>Everyone into easy to define boxes.

AlBundy
9621 posts
Thu Mar-14-13 10:32 PM

13. "one of my homeboys told me that"
In response to Reply # 0

i felt to slap the shit out of him.

but theres no accounting for taste. ppl dont realize how elementary trap shit is
and how stylized your OWN stuff is.

“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B

_Torchbaras
Member since Jun 03rd 2011
2031 posts
Fri Mar-15-13 04:54 AM

14. "RE: one of my homeboys told me that"
In response to Reply # 13

Was thinking bout this the other day -

Its really so much time, effort, thought put into making these chops blend, but to the unaware listener
my beats could be simply loopbased. Takes a trained/passionate ear to appreciate the work!

----------------------------------

NEW Edo.G album FreEDOm coming soon!!!

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 10:23 AM

19. "Definitely have to say that is true with your beats..."
In response to Reply # 14

>Was thinking bout this the other day -
>
>Its really so much time, effort, thought put into making these
>chops blend, but to the unaware listener
>my beats could be simply loopbased. Takes a trained/passionate
>ear to appreciate the work!

A lot of times, when you really get the hang of your craft, you start making it sound easy and people THINK it is. Until they try to do it themselves...

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 10:20 AM

18. "But, that's the thing..."
In response to Reply # 13

>i felt to slap the shit out of him.
>
>but theres no accounting for taste. ppl dont realize how
>elementary trap shit is
>and how stylized your OWN stuff is.

YOUR stuff is NOT going to be STYLIZED until it hits. Then, when it hits, he's gonna want to know how you did it,

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 10:37 AM

21. "So, here's another one..."
In response to Reply # 0

"Your music's very marketable. Hit me up and I'll give you 50% of marketing services."

Like, seriously? Nowadays, everyone has a music promotion service. But, my thinking is, if you really like my music and think it's marketable, you'll sign some contracts where you promote my music and any connections that develop, you get a cut.

It's like they always say, if someone is asking you to pay money to manage or promote you, your setting yourself up for disappointment.

I mean, think about it: If you have a truly ingenious idea or product, an investor is not going to tell you to pay him money first before he invests. He more than likely will say he's going to need a large chunk of the business. If you have to pay him first, why not use the money you're going to give him to invest in your business?

It's very similar to these scams where folks are telling people that they have to pay money before they get their lottery winnings.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 11:01 AM

24. "fuck middle men "
In response to Reply # 21

your response should be, why don't you make your own shit and keep it 100%!

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 11:00 AM

23. "At some point your objectives must take precedent"
In response to Reply # 0

And you've got to be absolutely clear and content with those objectives and where they lead you to. If your objective is to make music which is marketable on a broad scale then you will always be subject to the whims of the public and *must* be prepared to respond. If someone tells you that you need to make trap beats to be more marketable, you probably should, but quickly because that could change next week. In fact if that is your objective then it becomes imperative to your goal that you stay ahead of the curve. So that when someone says if you made trap beats you'd be more marketable, you can say oh i've got some of those right here, and then after you play those can say, but you know the next shit really is going to be ______ which i got right here.

If that's not your objective though you can thank them for their opinion's and keep doing you.

For the record, i doubt I'd like to hear you doing trap beats.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 11:06 AM

26. "Great nuggets of wisdom..."
In response to Reply # 23

>And you've got to be absolutely clear and content with those
>objectives and where they lead you to. If your objective is
>to make music which is marketable on a broad scale then you
>will always be subject to the whims of the public and *must*
>be prepared to respond. If someone tells you that you need to
>make trap beats to be more marketable, you probably should,
>but quickly because that could change next week. In fact if
>that is your objective then it becomes imperative to your goal
>that you stay ahead of the curve. So that when someone says
>if you made trap beats you'd be more marketable, you can say
>oh i've got some of those right here, and then after you play
>those can say, but you know the next shit really is going to
>be ______ which i got right here.

You are very right. At the end of the day, it is a business.

>If that's not your objective though you can thank them for
>their opinion's and keep doing you.
>
>

Which unfortunately it doesn't seem like I'm going to be able to do.

>For the record, i doubt I'd like to hear you doing trap
>beats.

I don't think I want to hear it either, but, unfortunately, I will have to give it a go just to appease those who want that. I'll just try to give it my own spin, hopefully.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 08:17 PM

29. "Yea. Simply doing EXACTLY what's hot will rarely ever work."
In response to Reply # 23

You gotta have something progressive about a sound for people to really notice you, especially if you aren't established in the game.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Mon Mar-18-13 08:15 PM

28. "What's crazy is, this is kiiiinda why I stopped producing around 05-06"
In response to Reply # 0

It's not the direct reason, but kind of an underlying reason.

Primarily because I was in Florida though...so even though I still had contact with my L.A. rappers, I wasn't able to really deal with contracts or work with them in person like I needed to...and the style of Florida was waaaay, way too different, and they only liked my beats that sounded more Down South or even East Coast.

What I did realize is that the best thing to do is incorporate your own style into whatever is hot, vs just trying to make a hot beat. I did this a little bit on a Michael Jackson remix that's on my website...I wanted to give it the modern L.A. club feel, but still use some musicianship that made me who I was as a producer, instead of just keeping it all drums and a three note melody.

It'll probably take time to refine what I did on that track and really have a a go-to signature style, but that's really how most sounds are created if you listen to music from each era. Like when Dre was making "Phone tap"...or even when Dilla was on the Fantastic Vol. 2...those were like the same idea, just used in opposite ways. Dre made his "happy" or smooth G-Funk sound sound more East Coast, dark, and edgy, while Dilla made his East Coast Boom Bap style sound more smooth and melodic, which was more of a West Coast trait...and the result is that folks everywhere end up loving both of those styles.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Tue Mar-19-13 07:51 AM

32. "why does there have to be a 'but' if it's great?"
In response to Reply # 0

if your music is good, it's good regardless of format or type
don't listen to this guy, he's giving you bad advice unintentionally

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Reuben
Member since Mar 13th 2006
1857 posts
Tue Mar-19-13 01:20 PM

34. "collectivism vs individualism"
In response to Reply # 0

not being part of the zeitgeist is seen as being crazy

very conformist times we in.

http://hardboiledbabesanddarkchocolate.tumblr.co

Guinness
Charter member
26270 posts
Tue Mar-19-13 01:56 PM

35. "i'm gonna be a dick here."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-19-13 02:00 PM by Guinness

apologies in advance, but i'm trying to be constructive. after listening to about 15 of the beats on your soundcloud, i think some of the complaints from listeners stem from a desire to hear more energy in your production.

i don't mean everything has to be all crunk and shit, but a lot of the ones i heard don't really move anywhere: there's usually a rudimentary (but understated) melody that continues throughout. there weren't places where a hook unspools, there weren't interesting bridges, there weren't changes every four or eight bars to open things up. i kept wanting things to happen and they didn't.

you have nice sounds and obvious command of technique, but i can understand why some people might want to hear your work filtered through the more energetic template of "trap." that said: it's not about mimicking those sonics, it's about making your own shit undeniably good. i would say there's work to be done on that end. don't get caught up in any "why won't they let me be me?" defensiveness, because it's not the real issue.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Tue Mar-19-13 08:25 PM

36. "Well, you're entitled to your opinion."
In response to Reply # 35
Tue Mar-19-13 08:28 PM by Remedial

>apologies in advance, but i'm trying to be constructive.
>after listening to about 15 of the beats on your soundcloud, i
>think some of the complaints from listeners stem from a desire
>to hear more energy in your production.

First, thank you for actually taking the time out to listen to that many tracks.

Secondly, know I didn't create this post as a means of promoting my music. I don't even have a link to my page in my sig. And I only provided a link after I was asked.

I moreso wanted to provide a venue for other folks to vent on their frustration from similar situations.

Now, to your point: Something like Make Me Stop is pretty frenetic as is Eclipsed and Gangster's Wish.

And, Inharmonixed, Tellalised, and Right On Time are pretty upbeat to me.

I could be wrong though.

>i don't mean everything has to be all crunk and shit, but a
>lot of the ones i heard don't really move anywhere: there's
>usually a rudimentary (but understated) melody that continues
>throughout. there weren't places where a hook unspools, there
>weren't interesting bridges, there weren't changes every four
>or eight bars to open things up. i kept wanting things to
>happen and they didn't.

If you'd like, I can pick a few of my tracks and breakdown when and where I remove and add elements.

Honestly, I truly don't do many bridges because I don't get too much R&B work, but, on a tracks like Pan's Flutes, The Life and the pretty ancient Up In Heaven I do employ bridges.

Also, Pan's Flutes has a pretty interesting coda at the end as does Hands On.

I think also that the chorus areas are pretty defined, even without any vocals present.

I do kind of understand what you're trying to say, but, unfortunately, most urban music tends to be pretty repetitive in nature. I can name quite a few hits where not much happens other than a few silences here or there, drum roll to complete the verse portion, etc...

For example, go and listen to something like Breezy's look at me now and tell me how many different elements you can hear in that.

One thing I'd like to say in retort to your comment about stuff not going anywhere, I think that, sometimes, as a casual listener, when someone doesn't have a name, we tend to be way more critical than we would be of the work of someone with some notoriety.

Also, in tracks like Breezyer, Pan's Flutes and Hands On, I have about 30 tracks going and an average of like 10 individual synthesizers. I would love to have the opportunity to solo some of the tracks so you could see how layered those songs are. Getting a "full" sound is not as easy as it sounds.

I will admit that I can do much more in the way of track mutes, etc., as, most times once I've finished tracking out, I want to just move on to the next beat rather than spending more time perfecting what is basically a completed work.

And, maybe I'll throw together something with quite a few changes and see what you think.

>you have nice sounds and obvious command of technique, but i
>can understand why some people might want to hear your work
>filtered through the more energetic template of "trap." that
>said: it's not about mimicking those sonics, it's about making
>your own shit undeniably good. i would say there's work to be
>done on that end. don't get caught up in any "why won't they
>let me be me?" defensiveness, because it's not the real
>issue.

Thanks for the compliment on my sound choices. I've spent quite sometime learning patch programming in order to fill the void when I can't find presets to my liking.

And, thanks for noticing the amount of effort I've put into trying to master my technique.

As said before, I respect your opinion, but, in my eyes, there is no such thing as undeniably good. No matter how great you may view something, there's someone else out there that sees it as garbage.

For example, while you have lauded my sound choices, I've had other cats tell me otherwise. At the end of the day, once I'm comfortable with my sound, that's all I can do.

AlBundy
9621 posts
Wed Mar-20-13 02:27 AM

39. "it is better to do without a bunch of track mutes"
In response to Reply # 36

and custom fit the track to the client's vocals. IMO

Goodgame
Member since Nov 25th 2012
40 posts
Wed Mar-20-13 05:23 AM

40. "RE: "Your music sounds great, but...""
In response to Reply # 0

Lol!!!! That is hilarious!!! Yea man, you just keep doing your thing and leave the haters to their own devices. Its the people who bring some originality to their craft that keep the music alive and well. Haters bite until the flavor is stale... lol! 100

1, William Goodgame

Lobby The Lesson topic #2786624 Previous topic | Next topic