Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2786360

Subject: "So is that Black star mixtape just never going to drop???" Previous topic | Next topic
1-UP
Member since Dec 04th 2005
971 posts
Wed Mar-13-13 12:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"So is that Black star mixtape just never going to drop???"

I know, I know... we all know the drill. You hear any whispers of a jay elect, dre, or ghost / doom album dropping and your just laugh and roll your eyes. Same drill any new outkast, tribe, or blackstar. But they got me! After all those years of saying no no, we don't have any plans. But shit. Reflection eternal made a new album, and black star was doing press ( as in Fallon and Colbert type ish.) Even releasing songs from the said project. So they really just aren't going to drop it? I know this post is about a year too late but I just assumed it was being pushed back or they were coming up with nontraditional way to release it on some radiohead ish.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
They got me too
Mar 13th 2013
I would really like to hear some new mos
Mar 13th 2013
      he seems like the type to tell reporters not to ask him about it
Mar 13th 2013
           Yeah the RE album was a let down to me
Mar 14th 2013
                Mos is EXTREMELY flaky
Mar 14th 2013
Kweli alluded in interviews that
Mar 14th 2013

Cineno
Member since Sep 01st 2006
819 posts
Wed Mar-13-13 07:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "They got me too"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm usually skeptical about these, but as you said, they were performing the songs on talk shows.

Plus it was during the time when Mos seemed re-focused on making music.

But then we hear about him doing a mixtape or album with Mannie Fresh and the Black Star talk ends.

Reminded me of Jay Elec talking about doing an album with Lupe when he couldn't get even get Act II out.

Wish these artists would just focus on a project and release it. Can't keep blaming labels anymore with all the resources that are in the artists hands today.

1-UP
Member since Dec 04th 2005
971 posts
Wed Mar-13-13 01:02 PM

2. "I would really like to hear some new mos "
In response to Reply # 1

Regardless of what project its in, especially after the ecstatic. Blackstar is put on hold and kweli is prepping a questionable release (based on that last song that dropped and nelly being on it, but who knows... we'll see.) The weird thing is interviewers don't even seem to ask kweli about it in interviews? That was a reoccuring question before blackstar was supposed to make new music... will there ever be another blackstar / RE project. The RE drops and blackstar says they are making a new album or mixtape, even with release dates, singles, artwork.... and it just doesnt drop. And no questions on it?

I wonder if we will ever hear any of:
act II
new blackstar
ghost / doom (which ghost has said he is working on)

not holding my breathe (again) but would like to be surprised.

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Wed Mar-13-13 06:37 PM

3. "he seems like the type to tell reporters not to ask him about it "
In response to Reply # 2

as a condition of the interview
but I'm not hyped for it at all if it does happen (especially if that RE 'reunion' album is any indication)

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Cineno
Member since Sep 01st 2006
819 posts
Thu Mar-14-13 08:58 AM

4. "Yeah the RE album was a let down to me"
In response to Reply # 3

Maybe I'll revisit it, but I was disappointed at the time.

I agree Kweli does seem like he'd tell them not to ask about it.

I'm assuming Mos has been the one holding it up. Questlove has mentioned how flakey Mos can be.

I can kind of understand Kweli not wanting to talk about it. If I'd been consistently putting out albums and mixtapes and everyone kept asking me about working with a guy I did something with 15 years ago, I'd be annoyed too.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Thu Mar-14-13 09:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Mos is EXTREMELY flaky "
In response to Reply # 4

I would hate for him to be my business partner. You can't pin him down for shit! I remember when my boy was saying he was hyped for the new Blackstar and I told him not to hold his breath. That was at least over a year ago. *smh*

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Thu Mar-14-13 01:13 PM

6. "Kweli alluded in interviews that"
In response to Reply # 0

one of them wanted to just drop it as a free mixtape (which was the plan) and one of them wanted to sell it...and since no decision was made it never dropped.

I just guessing Bey wanted to just drop it and Kweli saw dolla signs...can't blame him for that, they could've threw that on a bandcamp and sold 20k.

Too bad tho, the 2 songs they dropped were fire.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Lobby The Lesson topic #2786360 Previous topic | Next topic