Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2782211

Subject: "I love reading stories like this (Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye) " Previous topic | Next topic
the_time_is_when_god...lounge
Member since Nov 19th 2012
5495 posts
Wed Feb-27-13 10:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I love reading stories like this (Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye) "

One of Berry Gordy's marketing methods included various "battles of the stars." He had always been intrigued by the long-standing gimmick of a "battle of the bands." The battles were instant sellouts. Some of the match ups included the Temptations vs. the Contours, the Supremes vs. The Velvelettes and Martha and the Vandellas vs. the Marvelettes.

Everyone embraced the concept and fun was had by all until the night Little Stevie Wonder was pitted against Marvin Gaye. Gordy figured Gaye would easily be the crowd favorite simply because of his hits and polish and his immense popularity as a sex symbol with his female fans.

But Stevie, ever competitive wasn't conceding anything. He was up first, unleashing a fervid version of "Workout Stevie, Workout." Gordy watched the house respond with a roar and decided that Gaye might be in for a tougher time than he first believed.

But Gaye answered with a stirring rendition of "Hitch Hike," shimmying like a tornado and driving the ladies wild.

Stevie then countered with his first single, "I Call It Pretty Music," and the crowd swayed along. At song's end, he sent an electrical bolt through the hall with an exultant "Everybody Say Yeah!" Stevie then proceeded to virtually run the table with "Fingertips," leaving the crowd nearly spent with his blue-streak harp play.

Gaye had one more shot left and was determined to carry the day. He sprung back onstage as the band struck up "Stubborn Kind Of Fellow," but amazingly, was greeted not only by the screams he expected from the ladies but also by boos.

Confusion showed on his face but he gamely jumped into the song, determined to turn the tide. Some from the audience yelled, Marvin, you ought to be ashamed, taking advantage of a little blind kid!

Gaye ignored it and pressed on. At the conclusion of the number, the boos rained even harder. Gaye clearly was hurt but motioned for the band to play "Pride and Joy." Still the boos came, and Gordy quickly decided to intervene, taking the stage and mike from Gaye and announcing the show was over.

Source: "Blind Faith," by Dennis Love & Stacy Brown

--------
Twitter: _TheloniousFunk
Instagram: thelonious_funk_

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
thanks for sharing this n/m
Feb 27th 2013
of course...this is beautiful stuff
Feb 27th 2013
Another one (David Ruffin and Dennis Edwards)
Feb 27th 2013
damn
Feb 27th 2013
5 heartbeats shit for real
Mar 03rd 2013
!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 03rd 2013
And the fucked up thing is, there was no bigger David Ruffin fan
Mar 03rd 2013
      damn
Mar 13th 2013
This nigga David Ruffin, b?
Feb 27th 2013
damn!!!
Mar 03rd 2013
Nigga this shit is good (Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye)
Feb 27th 2013
thanks... all these stories are from "Blind Faith"?
Feb 27th 2013
"Blind Faith" and "Deliver Us From Temptation" by Tony Turner
Feb 27th 2013
A lot of Motown fans aren't terribly fond of Tony Turner
Mar 01st 2013
Blind Faith is... just okay to me.
Feb 27th 2013
      I agree with you...I havent read signed sealed... yet
Mar 13th 2013
Making of "A Song for You": Temptations (well, Otis) vs. Jeffrey Bowen
Mar 01st 2013
otis sounds like a pain in the ass.
Mar 01st 2013
He had to be a pain in the ass. He was the "class monitor".
Mar 01st 2013
Man, that quote was legendary.
Mar 03rd 2013
      CLASSIC quote
Mar 13th 2013
fantastic.
Mar 01st 2013
lol good shit
Mar 13th 2013
thank you, that was a great read indeed.
Mar 01st 2013
tell me about it...makes me wanna hop in a time machine lol
Mar 13th 2013
I never knew that they did clashes back in the day like that
Mar 01st 2013
To me this kinda validates that aspect of hiphop culture
Mar 13th 2013
Flo Ballard takes The Supremes for a little ride
Mar 03rd 2013
hahaha
Mar 13th 2013
i got a few cool stories from motown staff writer Deke Richards
Mar 03rd 2013
WHOA. Ask him if you can post them here!
Mar 03rd 2013
      one funny story he shared with me was Marlon Jackson
Mar 03rd 2013
           LOL, the other four deep in rehearsal, this little nigrow off in the cor...
Mar 11th 2013
                word was that Joe Jackson had a switch linned up for Marlon
Mar 13th 2013
RE: I love reading stories like this (Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye)
Mar 08th 2013
Word? man, I missed it..ill look for it on demand
Mar 13th 2013

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Wed Feb-27-13 10:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "thanks for sharing this n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

FREE GHETTO BLACK

5495 posts
Wed Feb-27-13 10:21 AM

2. "of course...this is beautiful stuff"
In response to Reply # 1

--------

5495 posts
Wed Feb-27-13 12:29 PM

3. "Another one (David Ruffin and Dennis Edwards) "
In response to Reply # 0

"I began to tour with the former Tempts, having jumped right on the chain in the newly created role of "second road manager."

Early in July they were working a private, corporate job at a new luxury condominium townhouse development out on Long Island. I arrived in Florida on the day of the show and was driven out to the sound check.

Dennis Edwards had left his latest wife at home in Dayton, Ohio, and was there with a rather rough-looking New York girlfriend. Eddie Kendricks was there alone and David Ruffin had not yet arrived.

When the sound check was over, I returned to the hotel and discovered that Ruffin had still not arrived. Judas the road manager had already made two limo trips to the airport to pick him up, he had not been on any of those flights.

Nedra (Ruffin's) daughter called. She had taken David to the airport and dropped him off outside and gone home, only to be called to pick him up from a crack house and take him back to the airport for the second flight. David had disappeared back to the drug den.

By now it was almost show time. The singers and band were ready to make their way from the hotel to the venue for the performance-all except Dennis Edwards, who was still in his room.

We called the hotel, Dennis did not answer the phone. I snatched up Dennis's costume and went racing back. I arrived at his door and banged on the door, you could smell the odor of crack coming out of the room.

"Let me in Dennis." Still no answer. And then, the door opened a bit. Dennis's face was trembling, his teeth were shifting around in his mouth. What do you want? He asked?"

I forced open the door, breaking the chain, to find Dennis there buck naked. His girlfriend was sitting on the edge of the bed with a crack pipe. I dragged her out of the room and quickly helped Dennis get dressed.

We arrived back at the show site just as Eddie was doing the closing number by himself.

Around midnight, Eddie had a huge argument with Dennis who was now sulking like a spoiled child in his room.

Finally David arrived, he came bouncing in as if everything was fine. Eddie turned on David and they had a huge argument. David's only concern seemed to be, "Did that Dennis Edwards sing my songs?"

David didn't know yet that Dennis had not made it to the show either.

David shouted, "As long as I'm living, I don't want that motherfucker singing lead on my songs." Shit, he uses just as much blow as me. He ain't no better. He's a pretty boy that's all. What he does isn't even singing, it's just Sunday-going-to-church shouting!

"Fuck that motherfucker, trying to be me!"

--------

rl9
Charter member
4494 posts
Wed Feb-27-13 01:09 PM

4. "damn"
In response to Reply # 3

''i went from bashful to asshole to international''- CdoubleO

Bblock
Member since Feb 20th 2012
6243 posts
Sun Mar-03-13 12:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "5 heartbeats shit for real"
In response to Reply # 3

life always offers you a 2nd chance...it's called tomorrow. use it wisely

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Sun Mar-03-13 06:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "!!!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

b.Touch
Member since Jun 28th 2011
20514 posts
Sun Mar-03-13 08:51 PM

25. "And the fucked up thing is, there was no bigger David Ruffin fan"
In response to Reply # 3

than Dennis Edwards.

In fact, it was David Ruffin who showed up at Dennis Edwards' doorstep at 4 o'clock in the morning on June 29, 1968 to tell Dennis that he was going to be brought into the Temptations in his place. They were really good friends, though obviously this situation complicated things.

Dennis only accepted because David told him it was okay, but David did not tell him - and never would tell him - that you been fired from the group. Dennis had to find that out on his own from the other Tempts.

5495 posts
Wed Mar-13-13 08:41 AM

30. "damn "
In response to Reply # 25

--------

5495 posts
Wed Feb-27-13 01:30 PM

5. "This nigga David Ruffin, b? "
In response to Reply # 0

David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks and Dennis Edwards were booked to appear on a double bill with the Four Tops.

David had not shown up for the previous two performances in Wisconsin and when he didn't show in Milwaukee I wondered what I was going to tell the Four Tops because I knew they were booked for a huge tour of forty or so cities.

Around 4 p.m. the Four Tops showed up and they gave me no time to make excuses for David.

The first thing Levi Stubbs said was, "We know David's not here."

"How do you know?" I asked.

"Because we just saw him in Detroit. We were in our limo, coming through the city on our way to the airport and we saw him scrambling for crack on the corner. We think he was selling his Rolex. We had the driver pull over, and we said, 'David, come on, what are you doing? You've got a show to do tonight.' He told us, 'Oh, I'll be there. Go on and I'll be there later. Tony's going to get my ticket.' Well, we told him to fly out with us, we told him we could get him a ticket and everything but he wouldn't come with us."

The Four Tops eventually replaced David, Eddie and Dennis with Otis's Temptations.

Things got worse for David. One night, cops called David's girlfriend and asked her, "Do you know David Ruffin?" "Because we have a fourteen-year-old down here that has your Lincoln Continental and a signed piece of paper saying he bought it from Mr. David Ruffin for twenty dollars." David had traded the Lincoln for twenty dollars worth of crack.

Another night, David had returned late one evening from a crack house with two young boys, 8 and 10. It turned out, their mother had tried to sell them in the crack house for crack. David rescued them, he was scared something would happen to them. Despite his addiction, he managed to track down the kids Aunt and turn them over to her.

--------

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sun Mar-03-13 12:31 PM

18. "damn!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

5495 posts
Wed Feb-27-13 01:35 PM

6. "Nigga this shit is good (Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye)"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-27-13 01:36 PM by the_time_is_when_god

It came as no surprise to me when, a few years later, Diana and Marvin Gaye locked horns. Marvin was just as temperamental as Diana, probably more so. While they worked on a duet album, Diana was thoroughly professional; Marvin was chronically undependable. She didn’t touch drugs, Marvin was in his early bouts with cocaine. She kept her personal turmoil's far away from work, Marvin’s ran wildly out of control. Diana, the teacher’s pet, deferred always to Berry Gordy, Marvin had an attitude problem with authority in general and with Berry in particular and yet the two were the reigning romantic prince and princess of Motown. During this time, Berry and Diana were having strained relations and she was pregnant with her second child.

As they arrived in the studio, Marvin was fortunately on time. However, he was sitting on his stool surrounded by a cloud of pot smoke. Diana stormed out of there and into the control room to find Berry. “Listen, she said, “I cannot sing with this man smoking weed. I’m pregnant. I do not want to be around any drugs. I won’t go on until you make him stop.” Berry chose to act with diplomacy. “Man, don’t smoke no weed. Diana’s pregnant.” Marvin said, “Fuck Diana Ross. I’m going to smoke weed or I don’t sing.”

Neither would back down, so all the duet vocals, those tender words of love were recorded separately. For the entire Diana and Marvin session, Diana refused to be in the room with Marvin.

--------

Walk On
Member since Apr 04th 2005
8343 posts
Wed Feb-27-13 01:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "thanks... all these stories are from "Blind Faith"?"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- #LoveCitees

message brought to you by...

www.onustees.com

5495 posts
Wed Feb-27-13 02:02 PM

8. ""Blind Faith" and "Deliver Us From Temptation" by Tony Turner"
In response to Reply # 7

--------

b.Touch
20514 posts
Fri Mar-01-13 08:44 AM

10. "A lot of Motown fans aren't terribly fond of Tony Turner"
In response to Reply # 8

because he "broke the Motown code" and sung like the artists he was rode manager for.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Feb-27-13 02:15 PM

9. "Blind Faith is... just okay to me."
In response to Reply # 7

It has its moments and a fairly unique point of view (Stevie's mom's), but all in all I couldn't help but wish that it were more substantial.

I think Mark Ribowsky's Signed, Sealed, and Delivered: The Soulful Journey of Stevie Wonder is altogether a stronger biography, anyway.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

5495 posts
Wed Mar-13-13 08:40 AM

29. "I agree with you...I havent read signed sealed... yet"
In response to Reply # 9

--------

b.Touch
20514 posts
Fri Mar-01-13 09:03 AM

11. "Making of "A Song for You": Temptations (well, Otis) vs. Jeffrey Bowen"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-01-13 09:11 AM by b.Touch

This is from Otis' "Temptations" autobiography.

(In 1974), we turned all of our attention to the new record. We started working on "A Song for You" out at Berry’s beach house in Malibu, where we met along with Suzee Ikeda, a former Motown artist who was our project manager, Berry, James Carmichael, and Ron Miller, who had written many hits, including “For Once in My Life,” and a few other people. While selecting material, we came across “Glass House,” a tune Berry wrote with Ron Miller. We recorded a version of it with Carmichael producing, which Berry played for Jeffrey Bowen. Back in 1967, Jeffrey co-produced the "Mellow Mood" album with Frank Wilson before leaving Motown to work with the Holland brothers and Lamont Dozier at their Hot Wax and Invictus labels. There he had worked with Freda Payne, Chairmen of the Board, Honey Cone, and some others.

Jeffrey told Berry he liked the idea of “Glass House” but heard it differently. Berry, being the fair-minded guy he is, said, “Well, you go do a track and let me see what you come up with"

When we heard Jeffrey’s take on it, we were very impressed. Not being a learned musician, as Carmichael was, left Jeffrey a little freer to experiment. His version had that elusive punch and directness our latest records had been lacking. Berry decided to give the production assignment to Jeffrey, and we set to work.

Back when we’d worked with Jeffrey on "Mellow Mood" he was in his early twenties but had good ideas and was a pleasure to work with. Before we got too far into recording "Song for You", however, our relationship with him was so bad that l now consider those sessions some of the most miserable moments of my career. Not to take anything away from Jeffrey as a producer; he has fine ideas and knows what he’s doing. His problem is that he cannot handle people, and before long we started noticing a bad attitude on his part.

Everything came to a head one night when we were recording the vocals on one of the album’s most beautiful songs, “Memories.” Some parts of it called for a very subtle, wistful style of background singing that must be done in perfect unison. We were trying our damnedest to get it just right, and were coming close, when Jeffrey exploded.

“Naw, man,” he yelled. “I mean, shit, you all just ain’t doin’ it. He chewed us out like we were school kids and generally acted like an asshole.

We kept saying “Just give us a little time. We're going to get it. Don't worry.” But Jeffrey wasn’t hearing any of it. He didn't view his role as helping the artist but bullying him, which simply doesn’t work.

One evening we were in the recording studio, and Jeffrey was in the control booth. There’s an intercom between the two rooms so that whoever's in the booth can talk to people in the studio, and apparently Jeffrey didn't know .hat he’d left it on. The next thing I know I heard Jeffrey's voice coming over the speakers saying, “Shit, if I was still working with the Chairmen of the Board and not these guys, I wouldn’t have to put up with this crapl”

l could not believe my ears. I expressed my intention to kick Jeffrey's ass then and there, but the other guys in the group talked me out of it. Not surprisingly, things weren’t flowing, so we called it a night and all went home. Exhausted, I lay down to rest but my body kept racing. When I turned over on my right side, suddenly
my whole body broke into shaking like nothing I’d ever felt before.

When it kept getting worse, I phoned Steve Martin, a brother who
was working for us. “Steve,” I said, “there’s something wrong. I can’t stop shaking. Please come over."

Steve and his wife got there within minutes and took me to Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital, where I saw a doctor. He examined me and asked some questions, then said, “Look, whatever it is that’s bothering you is not worth it. Your nerves are shot. You better stop whatever this is about, or you're going get yourself in very bad shape.”

He prescribed some tranquilizers, but I took only a couple and threw the rest away. I couldn’t stand that heavy, lethargic feeling. There wasn’t anybody I was jeopardizing my health for, least of all Jeffrey Bowen.

When Berry heard what happened he called a big meeting between all of us, Jeffrey, and some Motown executives. Berry was concerned about what had gone down, and the gist of his message was that things shouldn’t have got to that point to begin with, and this is not how recording should go, and so on.

When Berry was finished, I said, “Hold it, we are not through here. I really want to emphasize that what I went through last night is not something I'm ever going through again. I'm gonna let you know right here, Berry, and you know I don’t mince words. This kind of thing happens one more time and I’m gonna kick this little motherfucker’s ass.” I glared across at Jeffrey.

“No, man, I didn’t mean it,” Jeffrey said, backtracking.

“Well,” I said, “everybody else sitting here, when six o’clock comes, you all go home, while we, the Temptations, are up all hours recording and God knows what. And the last thing we want to hear from anybody is those kind of unnecessary nasty-ass
remarks."

Well,” Berry said, “we hope it doesn’t get to that.”

“It better not,” I replied, “because I’m the one whose body was shakin’ last night, and I don’t want any of you to get the idea that just because we sat here today and ran everything down that it’s all hunky-dory. Here’s the period after the sentence: Jeffrey, if you ever do anything like that again, I’m gonna clean your plow."

With that the five of us left. Of course, recording the rest of the album was somewhat strained, but Jeffrey kept in line most of the time.

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Fri Mar-01-13 09:30 AM

12. "otis sounds like a pain in the ass. "
In response to Reply # 11
Fri Mar-01-13 09:37 AM by Joe Corn Mo

is that why nobody was coming to see him?

b.Touch
20514 posts
Fri Mar-01-13 10:12 AM

13. "He had to be a pain in the ass. He was the "class monitor"."
In response to Reply # 12

It was his job to stop people from missing shows, skipping regearsals, smoking weed or snorting coke in public, etc.

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Sun Mar-03-13 01:30 PM

21. "Man, that quote was legendary."
In response to Reply # 12

"They used to call me Baby Luke....but now? The whole damn 2 Liiiive Crew."

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Wed Mar-13-13 08:42 AM

31. "CLASSIC quote"
In response to Reply # 21

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Fri Mar-01-13 10:24 AM

14. "fantastic."

5495 posts
Wed Mar-13-13 08:52 AM

32. "lol good shit"

--------

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Fri Mar-01-13 10:24 AM

15. "thank you, that was a great read indeed."
In response to Reply # 0

man, to have been there!

5495 posts
Wed Mar-13-13 08:54 AM

33. "tell me about it...makes me wanna hop in a time machine lol"
In response to Reply # 15

--------

debo40oz
Member since Apr 16th 2003
4081 posts
Fri Mar-01-13 11:16 AM

16. "I never knew that they did clashes back in the day like that "
In response to Reply # 0

that is awsome. I love reggae clashes. Hip hop battles not as much but musical competition is great. It's really the only time I can get caught up in mob mentality is at the reggae soundclashes I have gone to.

5495 posts
Wed Mar-13-13 08:55 AM

34. "To me this kinda validates that aspect of hiphop culture"
In response to Reply # 16

--------

b.Touch
20514 posts
Sun Mar-03-13 11:23 AM

17. "Flo Ballard takes The Supremes for a little ride"
In response to Reply # 0

From Ribowsky's Supremes book:

Not for public consumption were the fissures within the group caused by Diana’s rising star and Flo’s envious, booze-fueled antagonism toward her; that was effectively plastered over in the “glitz, glam, and gowns” fable of the Supremes. Yet under the literal and figurative “Snow White” patina, any tranquility in the group was only temporary, and fast becoming a rarity. By now, the three Supremes had drifted into their own camps, each of them, along with their personal lackeys and hangers-on, openly contemptuous of the others. Flo had come to so detest Diana that even in public settings it was hard for her to keep from letting fly with a cutting remark. Whenever Diana had an objection to a bit of Cholly Atkins’s choreography, Flo, watching her get all ruffled, would yowl, mocking Ross’s adopted name, “Uh-oh, Miss _Di-an-ah_’s gonna run and tell it, just watch.” Everyone knew what she meant: Diana would complain to Berry and get her way. The comment was, as ever, right on the mark, and a hoot, and inevitably would play out like that; at the next rehearsal, the choreography would be done as Diana wanted.

With Flo becoming more unhappy and unstable, Diana, as with Gordy, had little sympathy for whatever may have been a cause of her disruptive behavior and her drinking. In fact, mired in mutual contempt, whenever the two were in each other’s company off-stage, each seemed to lose her mind a little. During one of the Supremes’ engagements at the Copa, Flo often would tell the driver to stop their limousine so she could get out and greet fans who regularly trailed after the car following shows. For all of Diana’s showy attestations of “love” for Supremes fans while on stage, she generally avoided such impromptu human contact in uncontrolled situations, and would huddle in the back seat, hiding behind Mary, who would make an effort to cheerfully wave to the fans.

Knowing how uncomfortable Diana was, Flo would take her sweet time, sometimes even leading groups of fans down the street and treating them to slices and soda at pizza parlors. Worse, one time when a construction gang was hooting and whistling at the girls as they got into the limo, Flo held back and began doing a sexy catwalk down the middle of the street. Diana, dying of embarrassment, hissed to Mary about Flo’s “disgusting” display. “She’s making a spectacle of herself! How common!” To which she added, “I’ve never seen anything so shocking.” Diana then ordered the driver to leave without Flo. When he hesitated, she shouted, “Do you hear me? Do you want to be fired?!”

It wasn’t the only time Flo was left behind. Whenever she was even slightly tardy leaving a theater or club, Diana would issue the same order, leaving Flo on the street having to hail a cab back to the hotel. At least Flo wouldn’t have to ride with Diana, an interlude that always seemed to bring on a spat between them.

Flo got her revenge after one of the Copa engagements had ended and the girls were being driven to JFK Airport for the trip back home. Suddenly, Flo yelled to the driver, a Motown road manager named Phil Wooldridge, “Pull over! Let me drive this car.”

“No, Miss Ballard, you can’t drive,” he told her, apparently having been briefed to that effect by Motown, in case she might try something like this.

“I _know_ how to drive,” she sassed. “I’m from Detroit where these cars are made. Let me at that wheel!”

Bounding into the driver’s seat as Wooldridge scrambled out of the way, she soon had the car fired up and the pedal to the metal, in the thick of heavy traffic on the Van Wyck Expressway. Weaving in and out of lanes, with her purse dangling from her arm, she spun the wheel back and forth, creating chaos on the road and a very dangerous situation as the car’s tires screeched in tune with the screams of terror from those inside—especially from Diana, whose eyes were as big and wide as hubcaps and was shrieking, “You’re going to kill us all!”

For twenty hair-raising minutes, the future of Motown—not to mention the life of each Supreme—was riding with that car. For Flo, it was a rush, maybe not least of all. because the Supremes were back in her hands again, even if just for the duration of this ride. And just seeing Diana turn ashen with fear seemed to make it all the more exhilarating. At one point Diana, prayer-like, wailed, “Oh, Jesus,” over and over. Even speeding down a highway, Flo had a ready one-liner. Turning her head around, she chastised Ross, “Never take the name of the Lord in vain.”

Still not easing up on the accelerator, she overshot the airport exit. Flipping into reverse, she backed up against oncoming traffic. Finally, she stopped at the entrance to the terminal, the car’s front wheels on the sidewalk. In the back, Diana and Mary were entangled and moaning. Diana’s wig was half off her head, causing Flo to break out laughing. A skycap, who’d nearly been run over, dashed over to the car to see if anyone was hurt. Squinting through the windshield, he forgot everything else when he saw the familiar faces.

“You’re the Supremes!” he gushed.

Ribowsky, Mark (2009-06-25). The Supremes: A Saga of Motown Dreams, Success, and Betrayal (p. 256-259). Perseus Books Group. Kindle Edition.

5495 posts
Wed Mar-13-13 09:06 AM

35. "hahaha"
In response to Reply # 17

--------

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Mar-03-13 01:04 PM

20. "i got a few cool stories from motown staff writer Deke Richards"
In response to Reply # 0

he lives in the same town as me.

the stories of Berry Gordy having acts cover one another and how he made it a challenge to add your own thing to it. he was very much into competition.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

b.Touch
20514 posts
Sun Mar-03-13 05:00 PM

22. "WHOA. Ask him if you can post them here!"
In response to Reply # 20

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sun Mar-03-13 06:27 PM

23. "one funny story he shared with me was Marlon Jackson"
In response to Reply # 22

being tore up in the studio, he had too much to drink this was when he was a kid.

i forgot the exact time it was, but that one truly tripped me out.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

b.Touch
20514 posts
Mon Mar-11-13 11:29 PM

27. "LOL, the other four deep in rehearsal, this little nigrow off in the cor..."
In response to Reply # 23

a bottle of Old English...

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Mar-13-13 01:57 AM

28. "word was that Joe Jackson had a switch linned up for Marlon"
In response to Reply # 27

because sometimes he might be off on routines.

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Fri Mar-08-13 10:53 AM

26. "RE: I love reading stories like this (Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye) "
In response to Reply # 0

I saw a very short clip of Marvin's performance of the hitch hike on the pbs american masters documentary on Marvin Gaye.

5495 posts
Wed Mar-13-13 09:09 AM

36. "Word? man, I missed it..ill look for it on demand"
In response to Reply # 26

--------

Lobby The Lesson topic #2782211 Previous topic | Next topic