Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2773649

Subject: "RIP Jef Lee Johnson aka Rainbow Crow" Previous topic | Next topic
Vhien
Member since Aug 22nd 2009
149 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 02:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"RIP Jef Lee Johnson aka Rainbow Crow"

His passing was posted by his manager. Really unfortunate that the man has passed on. :/ I recall his health being poor in recent years, but still, unfortunate.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RIP
Jan 29th 2013
I didn't know he was in poor health
Jan 29th 2013
Good 2010 article from the City Paper:
Jan 29th 2013
way too young. RIP.
Jan 29th 2013
was this the same jef lee that used to post here?
Jan 29th 2013
they aren't the same
Jan 29th 2013
wow. I had no idea he was that "old" either
Jan 29th 2013
yeah, I thought he was more around 15's age range.
Jan 29th 2013
i saw michael bearden tweet it, and i hoped it wasnt true
Jan 29th 2013
R.I.U. JLJ..
Jan 29th 2013
Peace
Jan 29th 2013
he played on some of my favorite albums
Jan 30th 2013
they do beg the question
Jan 30th 2013

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 02:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RIP"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-29-13 02:58 AM by imcvspl

Sincere condolences out to his family. Hits home.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 05:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I didn't know he was in poor health"
In response to Reply # 0

what was ailing him?

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16160 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 06:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Good 2010 article from the City Paper:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://archives.citypaper.net/articles/2010/03/04/jef-lee-johnson

Jef Lee Johnson
Philly's secret guitar hero is ready for his close-up. Are you?

Despite several decades in the music business, Jef Lee Johnson's guitar skills have gotten notice only on a need-to-know basis. Everybody who's worked with him sings his praises.

And everybody else has never heard of him.

"I'm used to that, whether I want to be or not," says the 51-year-old Johnson from his home in Germantown. "I'm a cranky old guy now. My original thing was to be great, like Thelonious Monk, not to be famous. I wanted to be expansive musical infinity. Being famous is a whole other gene. Every time I tried to get famous, it died."

This prevailing obscurity is being threatened, however, as he's currently in Los Angeles recording with fusion master George Duke. "George has said he's going to make making me well-known his cause," laughs Johnson, on a break from packing his suitcase. While he's out there he'll visit with "cyber girlfriend" Chaka Khan, too. Also on the front burner are two new solo albums, Longing Belonging Ongoing (under the name "Rainbow Crow") and The Zimmerman Shadow (an odd, beautiful Dylan covers collection).

"Man, I can't believe you're letting my secret out," says Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson. The Roots drummer hosted Johnson on his band's Phrenology (2002) and played with him through studio sessions and tours backing D'Angelo and Erykah Badu. Thompson, a renowned musicologist, didn't even know the fellow Philadelphia native before the D'Angelo gig.

Johnson's had an innovative slate of solo albums, starting with 1995's Blue, that have equal footing in legato-loving jazz, out blues and frenetic space funk. Usually, he plays all of the instruments and does all of the production. Each album is ripe with his gorgeously appointed melodies, deeply pointed lyrics and, more often than not, sketches and photographs that he's taken for that project.

"To be so damned great, not only in a supporting role but as an artist in every way," marvels Thompson. "In a fair world, I should be carrying Jef's bags."

Once he worked with the guitarist, Thompson "got" that Johnson had the discipline and chops of a jazz cat like David Murray with the free-visionary potential of Hendrix. "I didn't think anyone would ever find this out: Jef Lee Johnson is the G.O.A.T."

The Germantown-born Johnson grew up in the church his grandfather Roland C. Lamb Sr. built, Providence Baptist on East Haines Street. He did his first (uncredited) sessions on records by gospel legends like the Rev. James Cleveland at age 18. Playing without your name above the title made it so that the music was the only thing. The musician becomes anonymous and at one with the music.

That sounds just like Jef Lee Johnson.

To Philly drummer Adam Guth, Johnson is holy. He is funk. "When I say 'funk,' I'm talking about the larger metaphysical sense of the word," says Guth, who's played in the Jef Lee Johnson Trio as well as their new progressive electronic outfit, Resistance Message. "While others play clichés — George Benson lines, Van Halen licks — Jef plays cosmic singularities, exploding worlds and post-apocalyptic terra-forming. At the center of it all is a sensitive being and positive spirit intent on being a force for good."

Germantownian Aaron Levinson also speaks of Johnson in reverent terms. Besides playing with him in the local noise-jazz act Gutbucket, Levinson produced Rediscovering Lonnie Johnson and cast his friend in the role of the blues/jazz legend. From the first moment I met him, it was like finding a missing limb of my body," says Levinson of their 1987 introduction. "Like Coltrane, Jef is inside the music. He plays from a place that is beyond notes, beyond technique."

Swampy bluegrass, blissful avant-garde jazz, deep strange blues, dusky funk — Jef Lee Johnson does it all, especially on solo albums where he's freer than on his session work. "I'm not trying to be out," states Johnson. "The out guys never bother to come in. I can go further out than anybody, but I want to go in. I want to put all this music together and for it to be accessible." He wants people to hear News from the Jungle (his 2007 import) and get Duke Ellington. He wants people to catch the Monk and Sly Stone references on Longing Belonging Ongoing. "The Britney, Raymond Scott and the Jonny Quest theme, too," he says.

In the minds of those he's worked with, and from the upswing in his solo album output (four since 2007), Johnson seems to be eschewing the session/pop world for the intimacy of his own recordings and for oddly angular jazzy sounds. "Jef played the profile gigs to eat, but all along he's been making his own personal brilliant music," says Levinson. "He doesn't consider himself a 'jazz cat' but of course he is. He's also a country musician and Jonathan Winters in sheep's clothing."

Ahmir Thompson recalls D'Angelo's Voodoo tour in 2000. The drummer assembled what's been known as the best R&B band in history, The Soultronics, only to have D'Angelo cancel shows in a fit of narcissism. "If he didn't look ripped, he canceled," says Thompson. "Jef wasn't having any of that. He left the band because it had nothing to do with the music. Music is all to him."

Johnson laughs and says these things aren't the case. He states that he didn't leave D'Angelo's tour because he wanted to — he was asked to when the ailing musician he replaced got better.
By: Mark Stehle

(CLICK IMAGE FOR LARGER VERSION)

And, in his mind, he's not a jazz guy but gets where the idea comes from.

"I developed chops playing with McCoy Tyner back in '79," says Johnson. "Tyner plays dense chordal stuff like George and I'm stupid enough to try to play like them on guitar. That's what's known as notes that aren't on the neck. When I played Ronald Shannon Jackson, I was a blues guy who had absurd jazz chops."

Johnson says he'll continue to do as many sessions as he can if people would only hire him. Without a shred of egotism or hubris, he claims he might be too great and inventive a musician for his own good. Rumor has it he was all set to tour with Steely Dan until one of its principal players put the kibosh on it — for fear of being upstaged. Johnson won't confirm that, though. All he'll say is: "My mom always told me, sometimes it's bad to be too prepared.

"I've had that said to me, that I'm too good at what I do and that I show people up. I'm not looking to show off other musicians' shortcomings. Their shortcomings are not my problem. I may be a guy who has said no more often than I said yes, but I'm just trying to knock the gig out of the park every time."

He thinks it's great that Thompson remembers the D'Angelo thing differently than he does, and that Chaka and Duke are his champions. "But there's not much that they can do," he says. "I fit in less than I did when I was a kid. I'm not tall, pretty or blond, even if am skinny. And I don't follow industry rules. Ultimately I'm just trying to bend and tweak things the way I hear them in my head. I'm obligated to do this."

ninjitsu
Member since Oct 07th 2011
4151 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 07:03 AM

4. "way too young. RIP."
In response to Reply # 0

Bblock
Member since Feb 20th 2012
6243 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 07:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "was this the same jef lee that used to post here?"
In response to Reply # 0

i remember around the time of the pete marriott saga, he stopped postin' after a blow up

please say they aren't the same

life always offers you a 2nd chance...it's called tomorrow. use it wisely

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 08:05 AM

6. "they aren't the same"
In response to Reply # 5

this was his namesake who played with okayartists, hence the confusion

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 10:35 AM

7. "wow. I had no idea he was that "old" either"
In response to Reply # 0

old in quotes b/c 51 ain't old old, but I assumed he was of a slightly younger generation.

RIP at any rate.

I actually saw him in concert once, playing in Lester Chambers's band, and didn't realize it until well after the fact.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 10:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "yeah, I thought he was more around 15's age range."
In response to Reply # 7

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

rashad
Member since Mar 21st 2007
4458 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 10:55 AM

9. "i saw michael bearden tweet it, and i hoped it wasnt true"
In response to Reply # 0

i saw jef when he was a part of Rachelle Ferrell's band...damn good..

natlawdp
Member since Jan 27th 2005
2125 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 11:38 AM

10. "R.I.U. JLJ.."
In response to Reply # 0

POEM-CEES
KOKAYI/CAESARZ
SPP WAXWORKS (DC)

THAYLOBLEU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=701fChgN9H4

Ghetto Black
Member since Dec 24th 2004
10172 posts
Tue Jan-29-13 12:45 PM

11. "Peace"
In response to Reply # 0

howisya
39983 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 05:44 PM

12. "he played on some of my favorite albums"
In response to Reply # 0

but i've barely scratched the surface of this great talent: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Jef+Lee+Johnson

howisya
39983 posts
Wed Jan-30-13 09:23 PM

13. "they do beg the question"
In response to Reply # 0

of anchorage
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2774167&mesg_id=2774167&page=

Lobby The Lesson topic #2773649 Previous topic | Next topic