Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2772523

Subject: "Coachella lineup is out!" Previous topic | Next topic
VerbalK420
Member since Feb 28th 2003
143 posts
Thu Jan-24-13 11:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Coachella lineup is out!"

http://assets.coachella.com/uploads/media_items/lineup-poster.original.jpg

I have gone almost every year (missed 2011), and this has to be the weakest collection of headliners assembled (for my tastes at least, but I think also in terms of general relevance and popularity). However, the undercard is STACKED. I am really looking forward to seeing a lot of great music. Anyone else headed out there? Does this make you want to go more or just write this year off?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: So is Johnny Marr playing with a Morrissey hologram?
Jan 25th 2013
Wow...that line-up is P.U.
Jan 25th 2013
Jurassic 5
Jan 25th 2013
Headliners are ass
Jan 25th 2013
Weak.
Jan 25th 2013
Headliners suck, RHCP are great live though
Jan 25th 2013
RE: Coachella lineup is out!
Jan 25th 2013
Hmmm, Grinderman & The Bad Seeds
Jan 25th 2013
I like Saturday's lineup.
Jan 25th 2013
it was two weeks last year
Jan 25th 2013
funny, I'm the opposite. Friday & Saturday days look good to me
Jan 25th 2013
this is a very, very thin lineup that I can't quite figure out.
Jan 25th 2013
it's better than that Cure/MyBloodyValentine/Killers/Morrissey/MIA year
Jan 25th 2013
too bad tegan & sara and jurassic 5 aren't playing on sunday
Jan 25th 2013
Roni fucking Size
Jan 26th 2013
Saturday
Jan 26th 2013
fuck, the lesson is lame.
Jan 26th 2013
It's amazing how many ppl don't know Stone Roses or Blur
Jan 26th 2013
festival announcement season most consistently makes me shake my head
Jan 26th 2013
Jan 26th 2013

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 12:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: So is Johnny Marr playing with a Morrissey hologram?"
In response to Reply # 0

Fuck this whole thing.

~Austin

Latest 'choon: "moira davidson"
http://bit.ly/Svyave

eBay auctions:
http://bit.ly/WBdmxH

http://austintayeshus.blogspot.com
http://www.last.fm/user/Austintayeshus
http://twitter.com/Austintayeshus

supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 12:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Wow...that line-up is P.U."
In response to Reply # 0

like mountain of dirty diaper bad.

s.blak
15$ Water

keep: looking,searching,seeking,finding

VerbalK420
Member since Feb 28th 2003
143 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:17 AM

3. "Jurassic 5"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-25-13 01:57 AM by VerbalK420

I'm surprised no one here is happy to see J5 making a comeback. The show they put on at Coachella 2002 (wow, that long?) with Cut Chemist in the house was amazing. I hope they can bring it back close to that level.

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:47 AM

4. "Headliners are ass"
In response to Reply # 0

Acts I'm excited to see:

Modest Mouse
Beach House
Four Tet
Lee "Scratch" Perry
Dam Funk
Sigur Ros
Grizzly Bear
Spiritualized
Major Lazer
Danny Brown
2 Chainz *
Tame Impala
James Blake
Jessie Ware
Disclosure

*I've heard good things about 2 Chainz' live performance. Surprised Disclosure isn't higher up considering they are one of the biggest up and coming acts of the past year. There's a few techno/house musicians that I figured would be included like Jets/Machinedrum, Actress, anyone from the L.I.E.S. label, etc.

No Black Hippy at all? For real?

Overall, the lineup is okay. Might go depending on a few factors, including whether I wanna drop $500+ for the whole weekend.

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

rymega
Member since Nov 18th 2008
141 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:49 AM

5. "Weak."
In response to Reply # 0

Prolly the weakest group of headliners ever. With that being said....I'm still going! The experience itself is maaaaad underated.

las raises
Member since Aug 31st 2002
14981 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 02:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Headliners suck, RHCP are great live though"
In response to Reply # 0

Rest of the lineup is solid! I already have my ticket for weekend 2, can't wait

-----------------------------------------------------------------

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 08:39 AM

7. "RE: Coachella lineup is out!"
In response to Reply # 0

i think every year i think (if not post) that the lineup is worse than the last, but maybe i'm just getting too old for shows and especially the prospect of traveling across country for one. there are several sets i would catch, including what seems will be the live debut of how to destroy angels, but overall the lineup is either, we'll say, too indie for me or bands i've seen before and don't need to go out of my way to see this year like i should have in 2008 and 2009 but didn't (if you know me, check the lineups).

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2900 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 08:45 AM

8. "Hmmm, Grinderman & The Bad Seeds"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought Grinderman was killed off. Guess not.

Steve O Tron v2
Member since Sep 13th 2002
12906 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 09:28 AM

9. "I like Saturday's lineup."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jan-25-13 09:29 AM by Steve O Tron v2

Phoenix, the xx, Sigur Ros, Grizzly Bear, Bat for Lashes, etc.

Other two days don't have enough acts I'm interested in seeing.

EDIT: It's two weeks now?

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 09:31 AM

10. "it was two weeks last year"
In response to Reply # 9

anything to get that $

i'm curious how strictly if at all the artists stuck to the same setlist because i would be tempted to go both weekends depending on the lineup

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 02:56 PM

13. "funny, I'm the opposite. Friday & Saturday days look good to me"
In response to Reply # 9

Saturday is either acts I've been able to see in club shows (Sigor Rios, Hot Chip) that I don't have a huge hankering to see with hundreds of thousands or acts that I don't care that much about to begin with.

But the Brit-pop-era headliners on Friday I've at least never really seen & could be alright, I'm interested in Yeah Yeah Yeahs and I've never actually seen Modest Mouse, Lou Reed will be a trainwreck but maybe a car-crash I'll want to commit to memory, Grinderman could be interesting, J-5/Luciano/Japandroids will be worth seeing, Earl/Scratch Perry curiousities I'd take a peek at.

Sunday the Chili Peppers & Wu-Tang will be solid headliners. Social D is always solid. Never seen Dinosaur Jr. I'd check out Vampire Weekend just for the hell of it.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18362 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 12:00 PM

11. "this is a very, very thin lineup that I can't quite figure out."
In response to Reply # 0

I mean given that they had Dr.Dre and Radiohead last year, Kanye and Arcade Fire the year before, and Hov and Muse in 2010?

This thing is super light. They had Prince and Roger Waters IN THE SAME YEAR in 2008!

Furthermore, about half of the bands on this ting past the third lines won't exist in 5 years.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 03:00 PM

14. "it's better than that Cure/MyBloodyValentine/Killers/Morrissey/MIA year"
In response to Reply # 11

justin_scott
Charter member
19861 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 02:17 PM

12. "too bad tegan & sara and jurassic 5 aren't playing on sunday"
In response to Reply # 0

as it is, that's a wild thin line up (for me at least), esp for the amount of money you have to spend. do you still have to buy the entire weekend?

boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Sat Jan-26-13 03:33 AM

15. "Roni fucking Size"
In response to Reply # 0

o damn i will definitely have to go now

Agency
Member since Feb 01st 2007
524 posts
Sat Jan-26-13 04:36 AM

16. "Saturday "
In response to Reply # 0

The xx, Major Lazer, 2 Chainz, Janelle Monae, Danny Brown, Pusha T, Theophilus London, and Kids These Days.

Crackin.

artofficialrecords

ninjitsu
Member since Oct 07th 2011
4151 posts
Sat Jan-26-13 04:47 AM

17. "fuck, the lesson is lame."
In response to Reply # 0

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Sat Jan-26-13 07:09 PM

18. "It's amazing how many ppl don't know Stone Roses or Blur"
In response to Reply # 0

Personally I'm very glad about the line-up b/c it'll scare off a lot of the bro market that has been taking over Coachella more and more each year (Last year the Sahara was brostep all weekend, it sucked). I'm over RHCP (Used to be a big fan but they got really lame) but I loved Phoenix's set in 2010 and would love to see Blur & The Stone Roses live (Seeing Pavement's reunion sold me that bands from that era can still deliver live). Maybe not the best headliners but honestly headliners are just the sell tickets, it's the fine print that makes a festival.

To me the fact that I'll get to see Wu-Tang (Please no ODB hologram), Grizzly Bear, The xx/Jamie xx, Dam-Funk, Dinosaur Jr, New Order, Earl, Four Tet, Pusha T, Richie Hawtin (Missed Plastikman live in 2010), Sigur Ros, Jessie Ware and Tame Impala live all for the first time in one weekend is a blast for me.

Kinda disappointed Black Hippies, Big Boi, Captain Murphy, The Knife, Big KRIT, Daphni, My Bloody Valentine, Solange and a few others didn't make it (Especially since some seem like shoe ins) but there's so many good & great artists as it it I know more would just make it conflicts galore.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15294 posts
Sat Jan-26-13 07:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "festival announcement season most consistently makes me shake my head"
In response to Reply # 0

and mutter, "I should figure out how to make more money."

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
"I don't read pages of rap lyrics, I listen to rap music." © Bombastic
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Hitokiri
Charter member
22092 posts
Sat Jan-26-13 08:22 PM

20. ""
In response to Reply # 0

nm

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Lobby The Lesson topic #2772523 Previous topic | Next topic