Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2769767

Subject: "What are some of the greatest mixes of the 2010's?" Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Jan-15-13 12:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What are some of the greatest mixes of the 2010's?"

Shout out some examples of really great mixes (song or album) from this era, and state whether you feel they sonically define a sound for this era. Just for some context try to list a pre 2000 era song or album which you think is a good parallel of quality.

I'll probably listen and give whatever feedback comes to mind as you list them.

(feel free to ignore the following and just throw a title in a subject line with n/m at the end).

As a frame of my reference for great I've been listening to Aja and Rumors on repeat of late. "The Chain" by example is one of the most amazing honing in of elements through a wide stereo band. To hear them isolated in the softer movements and then become a clear unity so effortlessly in the chorus is genius. It reminds me of the mixing on Fiona's last though draws an interesting contrast. During the Mac's time the notion of false disjointedness wasn't just undreamed in many ways it was impossible, so the freedom Way has to take that openness is expanded and yet to still bring back those center points as an emotive effect. Got damn that shit is great!!
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Should I conclude from this that there aren't any?
Jan 18th 2013
you're the expert
Jan 18th 2013
      hardly... i was hoping
Jan 18th 2013
           cross-post
Jan 18th 2013
My Brightest Diamond - All Things Will Unwind
Jan 19th 2013
Agree with this one
Jan 25th 2013
      RE: Agree with this one
Jan 25th 2013
Good Kid M.a.a.d. City
Jan 19th 2013
Compared to peers
Jan 25th 2013
Santigold "Master of My Make Believe"
Jan 25th 2013
Monolake "Ghosts"
Jan 25th 2013
RE: Monolake "Ghosts"
Jan 25th 2013

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 04:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Should I conclude from this that there aren't any?"
In response to Reply # 0

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 04:43 PM

2. "you're the expert"
In response to Reply # 1

i feel like i can tell when i hear a really good mix, but generally i'm pretty satisfied with the mix on what i hear. i guess i just outed myself as someone who doesn't check out a lot of beat tapes and unsigned rappers.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 05:01 PM

3. "hardly... i was hoping"
In response to Reply # 2

to utilize this to really educate myself on what the sound of this decade is and how it fits into the history. the question i'm pondering is how different the sound of the 00's is from the 10's because based on the technology they should be but there are other factors at play. it would take hearing a bunch of what's accepted as good mixed projects for me to gauge that, but i don't know what that is any more. MBDTF is that considered a good mix? What about King of Limbs? Will I have to listen to Adele?
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Fri Jan-18-13 05:12 PM

4. "cross-post"
In response to Reply # 3

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2744320&mesg_id=2744320&page=

>MBDTF is
>that considered a good mix? What about King of Limbs?

i'm pretty sure i haven't listened to either since 2011, but from memory they were at least fair if not exceptional mixes. i approve.

Funkymusic
Member since Sep 19th 2008
1559 posts
Sat Jan-19-13 04:26 AM

5. "My Brightest Diamond - All Things Will Unwind"
In response to Reply # 0

signature pose.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 12:40 PM

8. "Agree with this one"
In response to Reply # 5

Especially considering the instrumentation. There's a freshness to how its mixed which is very 'today'.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

Funkymusic
1559 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 03:58 PM

12. "RE: Agree with this one"
In response to Reply # 8

I forgot about Fiona's from last one. Sonically, its similar to All Things Will Unwind. its also mixed exceptionally well.

signature pose.

Funkymusic
1559 posts
Sat Jan-19-13 04:29 AM

6. "Good Kid M.a.a.d. City"
In response to Reply # 0

signature pose.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:41 PM

10. "Compared to peers"
In response to Reply # 6

yeah this is a choice mix. But what sets it aside from say Chronic 2001 mix wise. It's refreshing but also par for the course in the context of Aftermath.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 12:39 PM

7. "Santigold "Master of My Make Believe""
In response to Reply # 0

Say what you will about the actual music, but damn the mixing on it is pretty choice. Everything given it's due space, and her voice never getting lost.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 01:38 PM

9. "Monolake "Ghosts""
In response to Reply # 0

Knowing that he's been working in 3D/surround sound these days this is really just a great way to say 'ive mastered the stereo field'. The music might not be for everyone but if you listen for the clarity and placement of sounds, it's aces.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

Funkymusic
1559 posts
Fri Jan-25-13 02:13 PM

11. "RE: Monolake "Ghosts""
In response to Reply # 9

I agree. One of my personal favorites that got lost in a mist of other great releases.

signature pose.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2769767 Previous topic | Next topic