Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2758652

Subject: "Recent eras in Black Music that are least sampled by Rap/R&B" Previous topic | Next topic
-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51981 posts
Mon Nov-26-12 07:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Recent eras in Black Music that are least sampled by Rap/R&B"
Mon Nov-26-12 07:51 PM by -DJ R-Tistic-

(Recent as in 30-35 years)

First one that I've mentioned for a while is New Jack Swing. Sure, they've flipped songs like "Piece of my love" and "Night & Day" but those were a bit more similar to Regular R&B than the upbeat, 105-110 BPM NJS songs like "I want her" "Remember the time" "Poison" and "Iesha." Aside from Nick Cannon's track, it's not many at all that really sample NJS, and if so, it's small bits and pieces they seem to use...the drums are never ever sampled.

It's early, but I feel like the late 90's East Coast sound isn't going to be sampled a whole lot, even though it wasn't as dependent on samples as Boom Bap or the Just Blaze/Dipset/Kanye era and had original tunes. I am starting to hear a LOT Of early 90's songs get sampled, but I feel like the late 90's may not ever get similar treatment. Since the summer, I've heard "Rumpshaker," "How u do dat there," "First of da month," "This DJ," "I don't wanna eat it," and a few more...and that's just from L.A. artists. Of course, "Pop that" is Luke, and I can picture some of the later Bass/Booty songs getting sampled too.

I don't hear much of the light synthesized Jazz of the 80's sampled. Like GRP type Jazz...I can't name much that has been used.

Gospel seems to be forbidden, and I don't know enough about Gospel Rap to know if it ever samples older Gospel music. If anything, modern Gospel tends to sample Rap or older R&B, such as Kirk Franklin using Patrice Rushen's track.

I never heard much of the 80's and 90's Chicago House being sampled, such as "Jack your body" "Follow me" or Frankie Knuckles type music.

I rarely ever hear Go-Go sampled aside from Wale. I do feel like "Wobble" is a Go-Go beat...the swing on there is similar to "Doin da butt" but nobody seems to credit the Go-Go influence on it. Rich Harrison was the only one who seemed to make commercial songs with the Go-Go sound, but I don't think he actually sampled any of their songs for it.

What are some others that you can think of that you rarely ever heard used as samples?

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
gospel joints get chopped a lot
Nov 26th 2012
A Lot Of The Wonky Producers Are Sampling 80's R&B Lately
Nov 26th 2012

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Mon Nov-26-12 09:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "gospel joints get chopped a lot"
In response to Reply # 0

this is one of my favorites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c4DWcMNXoY&sns=em

ohbliv killed this, classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsJz79Cenvg&sns=em

apollo chopped a couple on Dice Game too from what i recall when i streamed it yesterday

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Mon Nov-26-12 10:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "A Lot Of The Wonky Producers Are Sampling 80's R&B Lately"
In response to Reply # 0

I've noticed lately that 80's boogie and upbeat r&b has been getting sampled by a few wonky beatmakers in the past couple of years, especially Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis' material (no I'm not snitching but it's very obvious when you hear the beats though).

I know a few diggers who have been sampling gospel music from the 70's cause gospel music is still mainly made by a bands (christian artists too) not just one producer (except for a few of the new contemporary & rap gospel artists) but finding breaks in those jams are far inbetween since gospel artists are like reggae artists (aka they sing from the beginning till the ending of the song) but if you're like Ninthwonder who loves to sample the vocals parts all day then hey it's gold in them dusties.

New Jack Swing being sampled is almost like sampling those rap songs that had drum machines, keyboard, & guitar played in them (ex: Run-DMC, Whodini, Kool Moe Dee, etc.), it's not much substance in them except for the drums & bassline but not many will sample it unless they wanted to do a cover or recreate that beat on purpose but not to really flip it.

I remember when no producer would touch new-age or 80's hair metal, now a lot of producers are sampling those sounds instead of the usual 70's jazz and soul.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Lobby The Lesson topic #2758652 Previous topic | Next topic