Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2731188

Subject: "" Previous topic | Next topic
murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 04:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""
Wed Aug-15-12 04:06 PM by murph71

My Q&A with Stic.man fresh off the presses about the "ghostwriting" flap...And it proves one thing...Some hip-hop fans and journalist are very unsophisticated when it comes to what constitutes as a producer and what ='s ghostwriting...Read on...

---

V Exclusive! Dead Prez’ Stic.man Dismisses Ghostwriting for Nas: “That Didn’t Happen”

When news surfaced this week that Nas had reportedly used rebel conscious duo dead prez and fabled lyricist Jay Electronica as ghostwriters for his politically-charged 2008 album Untitled (a.k.a. Nigger), it was like the world had imploded. How could arguably hip-hop’s most celebrated lyricist be exposed as a mere puppet. Indeed, veteran journalist and Jay-Z scribe Dream Hampton and Frank William Miller Junior of the Rappers I Know blog co-signed the chatter, with Hampton even claiming to hear actual reference tracks. Since then, both Jay and stic.man of dead prez have vehemently refuted such talk. But there’s more to the story.

In an exclusive interview, VIBE caught up with stic.man to discuss his and partner M1’s role in the making of Untitled. It’s an illuminating interview that not only captures Nas as a fearless artist, but also underlines hip-hop’s at times muddied view of what constitutes as a producer. For stic, the message is clear. “We were the only three in the studio,” he says of dead prez’ experience with recording with Nas. “So it’s kind of like, well, who are all the people that are saying how the record was created? They wasn’t even there.” Read on.—Keith Murphy (@murphdogg29)

VIBE: You dismissed all the talk about dead prez ghostwriting for Nas on your Facebook page. Having produced and contributed to the chorus for “Sly Fox,” what did you make of Dream Hampton’s comment that you did ghostwriting for Nas?

Stic Man: I don’t know. At the end of the day, I just feel like the people who are saying different things about the process of how that record was created I’m wondering, where were you at? To be totally honest, me and M1 went to Cali at the request of Nas. And we would be in the studio together working on stuff with nobody else there except Nas, who would come in and leave. I think people are making assumptions because of the content of the record. It’s gone from the collaboration that we did with Nas, which involved producing, idea exchanging and writing hooks, which is one thing, to us being ghostwriters.

As a producer can you talk about how you approached your collaboration with Nas?

To me, ghostwriting, as far as I know, is hiring somebody to write words for you to actually say. That didn’t happen. The way we got hired for Nas’ project wasn’t clear up front. M1 was in L.A. before I came to L.A. and he was like, “Nas wants to bring you out here to work on this project.” I remembered thinking we were just going to do a song together. But I later found out we were there to work in general: production, writing and ideas to help develop some of the songs on the album. So of course I’m thinking, “It’s called the Nigger album so that means you want dead prez type songs together, right?” But it was revealed to me that Nas wasn’t looking for that. He didn’t want us to rap. He wanted help with beats and concepts. And that surprised me because I’m thinking, “You want beats??? Of all the people to make beats for, you want us to make beats?” I was like, “Wow.”

So this wasn’t the typical guest spot?

No. To me we were there to make whatever contribution we wanted to make. So I was like, “Shit…I’m playing beats, I’m coming up with some song ideas…I’m going to do whatever.” And this is Nas, so I’m going to give my best and give my all. Me and M started making dead prez songs in some of those sessions because there wasn’t a clear direction of what Nas wanted . But later on Nas would come in and say, “I know I want to do something that would get at FOX News.” And he would tell us, “Just play me some shit…what ya’ll got?” We are talking about way beyond “Sly Fox.” There was a moment he even expressed interest in signing dead prez to his company. My impression was we were forming a team. That’s how Nas presented it. But as far as the rumors, people are off-base. They are all based on assumptions because of the content that we are more with than what Nas does.

Can you talk about a specific instance of how a Nas/dead prez song came together?

Even some of the songs we gave input on, in terms of hooks and phrases, it was Nas’ vision in terms of knowing what he wanted. He’s the one that came up with the concept for FOX News. I would have said, “Fuck FOX News…let’s do a song about something else.” But this was a Nas project, so that was the box we were put in terms of how he wanted us to input. He wrote his verses. We just brainstormed about different aspects of FOX News (“Sly Fox”). I work 24/7—so as soon as I knew that, I started writing hooks just to present an idea. Because that’s what a producer does.

Do you think the concept of producing in hip-hop equals—make a beat and give it to a rapper to rap over?

Yeah. But when I produce I compare it to producing a film…that was my role on Untitled. That’s what I took away from the tracks that I worked on. But Nas was the director. It was his vision on everything. My job was simple: can you help make this happen whether it was music or concepts. The only thing is they didn’t want dead prez/Nas collaboration. They didn’t want to have me and M on the record with Nas. We were there as producers and collaborators.

So there was no period in time when Nas asked you to write a verse for him?

No. Take “We’re Not Alone.” That was a beat and hook that I already had for dead prez’ Information Age album. But because it was Nas we just felt, “Hey, man…let’s just give our best.” He happened to like “We’re Not Alone” and he wrote verses from his own point of view of what that song was about. My view of “We’re Not Alone” was about our connection to the environment and each other. But Nas’ take on the song was different—he was talking about aliens…he took it there. And that’s why I say I was more of a producer than a director because I would have taken that song to a different place.

In the end, what has this whole Nas “ghostwriting” talk taught you?
People don’t understand what producing is. I’m kind of still like, “Wow.” I’m trying to understand what’s the big deal and where it’s coming from. It’s weird. I’m like, “Hmmm…what’s going on here?”

http://www.vibe.com/article/dead-prez%E2%80%99-sticman-dismisses-ghostwriting-nas-%E2%80%9C-didn%E2%80%99t-happen%E2%80%9D

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
And Nas wins again
Aug 15th 2012
Basically.
Aug 15th 2012
^^^^^^
Aug 15th 2012
RE: And Nas wins again
Aug 16th 2012
This is definitely not how it went down.
Aug 15th 2012
What a mess.
Aug 15th 2012
I can believe that...
Aug 15th 2012
jay z never went through no accusations like this. nas lost
Aug 15th 2012
Haha cause he's got people like you and Dream Hampton...
Aug 15th 2012
Right, 'cause no one ever accused Jay of stealing lyrics
Aug 15th 2012
biting and ghostwritten lyrics is 2 totally different eras now
Aug 15th 2012
      I'd say being accused of being a "biter" is worse than
Aug 15th 2012
Never?! Umm...
Aug 15th 2012
RE: jay z never went through no accusations like this. nas lost
Aug 15th 2012
where there is smoke, there is fire nm
Aug 15th 2012
      Naw sometimes it's just a smoke screen.
Aug 16th 2012
Jay-Z stans still screaming Nas Lost are the ones that lost
Aug 16th 2012
dear god make it stop!!!
Aug 15th 2012
nigga you acting like niggas is forcing you into these posts lol
Aug 15th 2012
      chill im in full on judge mode right now nm
Aug 15th 2012
Aug 15th 2012
Article is one big plea cop
Aug 15th 2012
RE: Article is one big plea cop
Aug 16th 2012
      get off nas dick, yo
Aug 16th 2012
      RE: get off nas dick, yo
Aug 16th 2012
      You do know Jay-Z's Lucifer was conceived in this same manner, right?
Aug 16th 2012
           ^^^and there you have it LOL
Aug 16th 2012
           i saw fade to black. sure, that's what stic. man SAID he did
Aug 16th 2012
           Hopefully you aren't raising your son to be as ignorant as you
Aug 16th 2012
           hopefully you're infertile so you won't have no kids
Aug 16th 2012
                Difference between the last two posts
Aug 17th 2012
                     rather your kids not be born to a defective parent, so yeah i got ur
Aug 17th 2012
           You have officially replaced Condom as OKP's biggest Nas Love/Hater ...
Aug 17th 2012
           Lucifer's creation was captured on film. No speculation necessary.
Aug 17th 2012
                ^plea coppage. nas lost. deal with it
Aug 17th 2012
                     Again, never change homie lol
Aug 17th 2012
           RE: You do know Jay-Z's Lucifer was conceived in this same manner, right...
Aug 16th 2012
                lol. like you really know nas' character. lmao
Aug 16th 2012
                     RE: lol. like you really know nas' character. lmao
Aug 16th 2012
                          I'm sorry. Don't u have some protest to get arrested at?
Aug 16th 2012
      Check his sig. That's how.
Aug 16th 2012
      Because he's a Jay stan. Check his sig
Aug 16th 2012
This Nas vs Jay shit will never end
Aug 16th 2012
I'm just blown by the whole thing
Aug 20th 2012
By Stic.man's logic Dr. Dre doesn't have ghostwriters either then?
Aug 16th 2012
RE: By Stic.man's logic Dr. Dre doesn't have ghostwriters either then?
Aug 16th 2012
Right, yea definitely...
Aug 16th 2012
How is it the same?
Aug 16th 2012
      Fam, just stop responding to agenda having individuals
Aug 16th 2012
      Nah, I'm all for dialogue, and Deluge is a reasonable dude
Aug 16th 2012
           He's a very reasonable dude
Aug 16th 2012
      Of course I was exaggerating, but I feel Stic.man's response is all over...
Aug 16th 2012
           It wasn't an exaggeration, it was a bad analogy.
Aug 16th 2012
           Whatever you say n/m
Aug 16th 2012
                Haha I know it reads like I was...
Aug 20th 2012
           How is it all over the place
Aug 16th 2012
                dream heard whole verses demo'd. nas lost. deal with it
Aug 16th 2012
                     Lol...you are a pathetic human being
Aug 16th 2012
                     you're a pathetic, dick ridin' another human bein'
Aug 16th 2012
                          I'm using logic and common sense and have already said
Aug 17th 2012
                               dream said she heard reference vocals. fwmj said jay confirmed qgtm
Aug 17th 2012
                               You Shouldn't Feed Trolls,You Let Them Stave To Death..........
Aug 18th 2012
                     Did she?
Aug 17th 2012
                     I know right? LOL!!!
Aug 17th 2012
                          The hierarchy in Jay-Z dick sucking goes like this
Aug 17th 2012
                               u ride my dick more than my chick and ur bitch combined, faggot
Aug 17th 2012
                               Lmao @ "The hierarchy in Jay-Z dick sucking"
Aug 19th 2012
                               Come on man..
Aug 19th 2012
                               A++++++ posting
Aug 20th 2012
                     RE: dream heard whole verses demo'd. nas lost. deal with it
Aug 19th 2012
                          And what are your opinions about the Jay Elec joint?
Aug 19th 2012
                               We supposed to believe some dude that said Jay Elec called him?
Aug 19th 2012
                               RE: And what are your opinions about the Jay Elec joint?
Aug 19th 2012
wait, so if having your song and hook consulted = ghostwriting...
Aug 17th 2012
^^^Damn. Say it ain't so Jiggaman. Say it ain't so....
Aug 18th 2012
Jay took feelin it from camp lo and jacked they style along with it
Aug 18th 2012
kanye gave that to jay n/m
Aug 19th 2012
there's also this
Aug 19th 2012
Aug 19th 2012
some people dont know the diff. between ghostwriters amd collaboraters.
Aug 19th 2012
stic.man is an average mc, that's all the proof I need
Aug 20th 2012
RE: stic.man is an average mc, that's all the proof I need
Aug 20th 2012
pretty much...
Aug 20th 2012
      ANY1 riding with this has zero credibility to me, none
Aug 20th 2012
      RE: ANY1 riding with this has zero credibility to me, none
Aug 20th 2012
      she basically implied Nas was too stupid to write Untitled
Aug 20th 2012

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 04:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "And Nas wins again"
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry guys, "better luck next time". (c) Guru (R.I.P.)
__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 04:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Basically."
In response to Reply # 1
Wed Aug-15-12 04:35 PM by Brew

Ironically this makes him look more like a Boss. He knew what he wanted, and went out and got the right people he thought would be able to help him pull it off the right way. Oh, and then you know, credited those people.

Kinda like Kanye's whole career.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 04:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 1

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Gentle Jones
Member since Oct 24th 2003
119 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 12:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
32. "RE: And Nas wins again"
In response to Reply # 1

this song is about dream hampton http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkPwn6jgBQE

BSharp
Charter member
9243 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 04:24 PM

2. "This is definitely not how it went down."
In response to Reply # 0

>Indeed, veteran journalist and Jay-Z scribe Dream Hampton and Frank William Miller Junior >of the Rappers I Know blog co-signed the chatter, with Hampton even claiming to hear >actual reference tracks. Since then, both Jay and stic.man of dead prez have vehemently >refuted such talk.

kwez
Member since Aug 10th 2003
11776 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 04:50 PM

5. "What a mess."
In response to Reply # 0

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 06:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I can believe that..."
In response to Reply # 0

i dont see why u would hire Dead Prez to write verses...that never made sense to me in this whole thing....but what he says about how they were brought in to produce is typical in that world....down to writing hooks etc...thats common....

but i do believe jay Elect wrote joints for him...at least 1....but im sure it was a few...

----------------------

GrandeMarshall "800"
Andreena "Naked EP"

Bblock
Member since Feb 20th 2012
6243 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 06:41 PM

7. "jay z never went through no accusations like this. nas lost"
In response to Reply # 0

the fact nas is impeachable
when it comes to his mc character
is a lost

life always offers you a 2nd chance...it's called tomorrow. use it wisely

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 06:43 PM

8. "Haha cause he's got people like you and Dream Hampton..."
In response to Reply # 7
Wed Aug-15-12 06:44 PM by Brew

to make damn sure not even a minimally negative thing is ever said about Jay without immediate retaliation.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 06:50 PM

9. "Right, 'cause no one ever accused Jay of stealing lyrics"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed Aug-15-12 06:52 PM by mrhood75

Just for the record, I've always maintained the "biting" accusations against Jay are bullshit. But by your own standard, the accusations themselves make Jay just as "impeachable" as Nas.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 06:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "biting and ghostwritten lyrics is 2 totally different eras now"
In response to Reply # 9

just about every successful rapper has been acussed of jacking something or someone or somebody style or trend hoping sooner or later.

the sucessful ones with longevity usually swagger jack or get "energy" form the younger generations.

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 07:03 PM

12. " I'd say being accused of being a "biter" is worse than"
In response to Reply # 11

being accused of having someone else write your lyrics. It's like in comedy: being accused of being a joke thief is like being accused of being a child molester, but just about every successful comedian has joke writers.

Again, I don't think Jay-Z is an actual biter, because dude wear's his Biggie (and UGK) influences on his sleeve and is pretty clear he's paying homage to cats he respects, rather than appropriating other people's lyrics and trying to pass them off as his own.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

self_ish
Charter member
2117 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 06:51 PM

10. "Never?! Umm..."
In response to Reply # 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybEZF4Vbe3A

Dr_Gonzo
Member since Feb 07th 2007
1523 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 07:43 PM

16. "RE: jay z never went through no accusations like this. nas lost"
In response to Reply # 7

Wait, so if everybody came at you like "nigga, you gay" despite your happy wife, smart kids, and enviable harem does that mean you still lost?

Bblock
6243 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 08:33 PM

17. "where there is smoke, there is fire nm"
In response to Reply # 16

Otis Oliver Ocean
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
1471 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 09:02 AM

24. "Naw sometimes it's just a smoke screen."
In response to Reply # 17

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 05:42 PM

40. "Jay-Z stans still screaming Nas Lost are the ones that lost"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu Aug-16-12 05:43 PM by bentagain

that shit was over 10 years ago

we don't walk around saying Japan lost

Germany lost

etc...

they lost

no need to keep harping on it

everybody knows what happened

Jay-Z lost the battle

and invented getting ethered

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 07:14 PM

13. "dear god make it stop!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

this is the most non issue utterly vapid worthless who gives a damn ass story i have ever unfortunately been forced to read abt over & over & over

do or die

mwasi kitoko
Member since Jul 15th 2007
60768 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 07:30 PM

15. "nigga you acting like niggas is forcing you into these posts lol"
In response to Reply # 13

www.royallegacy.org
http://therapfest.com/up-next-artists/

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 09:23 PM

18. "chill im in full on judge mode right now nm"
In response to Reply # 15

do or die

G_The_SP
Member since Dec 12th 2005
2413 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 07:14 PM

14. ""
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Aug-15-12 07:15 PM by G_The_SP

Which further reinforces the point that there are a number of folks here, no matter what their connections is with the industry, don't really have a full grasp of or an understanding of the creative process as an artist and the diversity of tactics it often takes to create a finished project.

~* * *~* * *~* * *~* * *~* * *~* * *~
http://soundcloud.com/griff-x
http://atribecalledx.com
http://twitter.com/IamGriffX

Baron_Davis
Member since Jun 18th 2002
6725 posts
Wed Aug-15-12 11:35 PM

19. "Article is one big plea cop"
In response to Reply # 0

you must love me © jigga

Li Mu Bai
Member since Sep 11th 2007
1891 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 04:38 AM

20. "RE: Article is one big plea cop"
In response to Reply # 19

you wylin' my dude. how in the hell do you misconstrue something as cut and dry as "that didn't happen" as a plea cop?

if a witness goes to court and says, "nah mayne, that shit didn't happen" does the judge just get to say "Nope! that's one big plea cop. this nigga STILL guilty."

I just don't get it. shit has been debunked by all parties involved except the perpetrators involved, one of whom fucks jay-z and the other who just wants some attention or something. the pertinent people who were actually THERE all say it's not true.

Nas made an album that shits on pretty much everything Hov has done in the past half a decade and things like this come out? coinkydinky? nah, son.

Lebron couldn't win a chip without two superstars from his draft class. He didn't just need help. The nigga needed the cheat code to enable god mode.(c)Kira

Bblock
6243 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 04:40 AM

21. "get off nas dick, yo"
In response to Reply # 20

whether it's true or not
the doubt has been raised
he's no longer impeachable
he uses ghostwriters
deal with it
the world will keep spinnin'
and everything will be alright
life is good

Li Mu Bai
Member since Sep 11th 2007
1891 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 05:48 AM

22. "RE: get off nas dick, yo"
In response to Reply # 21

stic.man says it didn't happen and I'm on nas dick?

how in the blue fuck you come to that conclusion? dream hampton and fwmj are more reliable sources than somebody who was actually there?

you fuckin' pathetic man.

Lebron couldn't win a chip without two superstars from his draft class. He didn't just need help. The nigga needed the cheat code to enable god mode.(c)Kira

self_ish
Charter member
2117 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 08:29 AM

23. "You do know Jay-Z's Lucifer was conceived in this same manner, right?"
In response to Reply # 21

Kanye presented the track to Jay-Z with sample used for the hook already included AND he spat a verse giving an idea of what he would do with the song if Jay passed on it. Jay ran with the concept Kanye presented and even interpolated the lyrics and cadence of the verse Ye spat in the bridge that preceeds the last verse. Jay just wrote/brainstormed the song's verses. Sounds pretty similar to the so-called plea cop detailed in murph's article. *shrug*

Anonymous
Charter member
23234 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 12:39 PM

30. "^^^and there you have it LOL"
In response to Reply # 23

Proof that both; people have NO fucking idea how things in the studio work AND that Block is a complete fucking hypocritical idiot who has probably paid a lot of money for a replica Jay-Z dildo.

Bblock
6243 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 09:55 PM

42. "i saw fade to black. sure, that's what stic. man SAID he did"

dream said she heard whole verses
so that ain't what he actually did
nas lost
deal with it

Anonymous
Charter member
23234 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 10:34 PM

46. "Hopefully you aren't raising your son to be as ignorant as you"
In response to Reply # 42

Just saying, that would be a sad thing.

Bblock
6243 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 10:49 PM

47. "hopefully you're infertile so you won't have no kids"
In response to Reply # 46

we don't need no more people like you in this world

Anonymous
Charter member
23234 posts
Fri Aug-17-12 05:40 AM

56. "Difference between the last two posts"
In response to Reply # 47

I actually have your sons best interest at heart while you're hoping I cant have any kids.

One comment is much more distasteful.

And yet again, you are wrong.

Lol

Bblock
6243 posts
Fri Aug-17-12 05:43 AM

58. "rather your kids not be born to a defective parent, so yeah i got ur"
In response to Reply # 56

future progeny's best interest at heart too
rather them not be born then grow up in your abusive
household if this is what you consider civilized behavior

you're the one makin' distasteful comments smart guy
but what can i expect from someone so low class as yourself
who'd bring kids into a message board discussion on music
oh well
deal with it

DanSpeak
Charter member
3089 posts
Fri Aug-17-12 01:44 AM

53. "You have officially replaced Condom as OKP's biggest Nas Love/Hater ..."

Straight comedy.

That Elzhi post is the stuff of legend ....probably set an unofficial record for most replies within a post I bet.

Salute!

Tell us how his ass tastes ....

https://twitter.com/DJDanSpeak

https://soundcloud.com/dan-speak/the-voyage-mix?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

self_ish
Charter member
2117 posts
Fri Aug-17-12 08:10 AM

59. "Lucifer's creation was captured on film. No speculation necessary."

All you have to go on are Dream's tweets, which were refuted by a party who was actually there; while Dream was not. But keep fighting the good fight block lol.

Bblock
6243 posts
Fri Aug-17-12 11:12 AM

60. "^plea coppage. nas lost. deal with it"
In response to Reply # 59

self_ish
Charter member
2117 posts
Fri Aug-17-12 11:36 AM

61. "Again, never change homie lol"
In response to Reply # 60

wisdom31
Charter member
1695 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 10:16 PM

44. "RE: You do know Jay-Z's Lucifer was conceived in this same manner, right..."

Exactly...we saw proof of that on the Fade To Black film...Kanye already had the sample and rhyme scheme for "Lucifer"...and this is typical of the recording process to be truthful...it isn't ghostwriting but a collaboration...I'm glad that the accusations are being refuted, because I don't think that Jay Elec or Stic.man wrote was ghostwriter...just not in Nas character to have someone write joints for him

Bblock
6243 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 10:50 PM

48. "lol. like you really know nas' character. lmao"
In response to Reply # 44

the plea coppage

G_The_SP
Member since Dec 12th 2005
2413 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 11:38 PM

50. "RE: lol. like you really know nas' character. lmao"
In response to Reply # 48

This is just borderline mental illness. Your hate for Nas is beyond irrational, it's just downright pathetic- dude, seriously- get a fucking life, the internet is not very productive for you.

~* * *~* * *~* * *~* * *~* * *~* * *~
http://soundcloud.com/griff-x
http://atribecalledx.com
http://twitter.com/IamGriffX

Baron_Davis
Member since Jun 18th 2002
6725 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 11:59 PM

51. "I'm sorry. Don't u have some protest to get arrested at?"
In response to Reply # 50

Deal with it

you must love me © jigga

Brew
24419 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 09:07 AM

25. "Check his sig. That's how."

>you wylin' my dude. how in the hell do you misconstrue
>something as cut and dry as "that didn't happen" as a plea
>cop?

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 09:39 AM

27. "Because he's a Jay stan. Check his sig"

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

16580 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 09:31 AM

26. "This Nas vs Jay shit will never end"
In response to Reply # 0

Niggas taking Dream's words as the gospel. Sad week here at the lesson.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Aug-20-12 10:06 AM

83. "I'm just blown by the whole thing"
In response to Reply # 26

Deluge
Charter member
64711 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 12:19 PM

28. "By Stic.man's logic Dr. Dre doesn't have ghostwriters either then?"
In response to Reply # 0

Because the tracks they write for Dre are his ideas/concepts too.

16580 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 12:25 PM

29. "RE: By Stic.man's logic Dr. Dre doesn't have ghostwriters either then?"
In response to Reply # 28

>Because the tracks they write for Dre are his ideas/concepts
>too.

LOL!

Brew
24419 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 12:39 PM

31. "Right, yea definitely..."
Thu Aug-16-12 12:41 PM by Brew

>too.

...if you're willing to blatantly and shamelessly ignore the most important part of the story, you bring up an excellent point.

CMcMurtry
Member since Nov 28th 2002
17053 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 12:54 PM

33. "How is it the same?"

>too.

He straight up said, I didnt' write verses. He came up with the hooks and concepts of some songs, and he's got songwriting credit on them.

Rappers will rap a whole song on a track, Dre listens to it, and then raps it the same way (hence, why there are dozens of Dre reference tracks out there).

16580 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 01:18 PM

34. "Fam, just stop responding to agenda having individuals"
In response to Reply # 33

It's clear what they're up to.

CMcMurtry
Member since Nov 28th 2002
17053 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 01:21 PM

35. "Nah, I'm all for dialogue, and Deluge is a reasonable dude"
In response to Reply # 34

16580 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 01:44 PM

38. "He's a very reasonable dude"
In response to Reply # 35

That's why I'm baffled by the Dre analogy he pulled out. Stic just laid out what he did for Nas and it's nothing close to what Dre has writers do for him. If he doesn't believe Stic, that's cool but don't act like the man didn't say as clear as day what he did for Nas.

Deluge
Charter member
64711 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 01:28 PM

36. "Of course I was exaggerating, but I feel Stic.man's response is all over..."
In response to Reply # 33

Thing is, even if he DID ghostwrite for him (not saying he did or didn't) he won't tell us. Chances are he signed a contract for that too.

Brew
24419 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 01:34 PM

37. "It wasn't an exaggeration, it was a bad analogy."
In response to Reply # 36

Deluge
Charter member
64711 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 05:28 PM

39. "Whatever you say n/m"
In response to Reply # 37

Brew
24419 posts
Mon Aug-20-12 09:11 AM

78. "Haha I know it reads like I was..."
In response to Reply # 39

Trying to be an asshole but I honestly wasn't. Just was saying that the analogy doesn't work because the most important part of this story, the one you didn't mention, is that Nas writes all his own verses. Dre does not. Therefore the analogy you came up with doesn't work at all.

Anonymous
Charter member
23234 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 09:44 PM

41. "How is it all over the place"
In response to Reply # 36

He very clearly states they were brought in as producers and that included brainstorming ideas and writing hooks.

Then you tried to compare it to Dre which was a bad analogy because Dre actually let's MCs write entire verses, record them, and then he re-records them.

Bblock
6243 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 09:56 PM

43. "dream heard whole verses demo'd. nas lost. deal with it"
In response to Reply # 41

Anonymous
Charter member
23234 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 10:32 PM

45. "Lol...you are a pathetic human being"
In response to Reply # 43

Nm

Bblock
6243 posts
Thu Aug-16-12 10:51 PM

49. "you're a pathetic, dick ridin' another human bein'"
In response to Reply # 45

guess that makes us even
deal with it

Anonymous
Charter member
23234 posts
Fri Aug-17-12 05:38 AM

55. "I'm using logic and common sense and have already said"
In response to Reply # 49

If Nas used ghostwriters then it's an L.

You are blatantly calling out Nas for him doing the same exact shit Jay does with Kanye.

If my need to call you out for your bullshit means I'm a dickrider then that's just something else you got wrong.

Bblock
6243 posts
Fri Aug-17-12 05:40 AM

57. "dream said she heard reference vocals. fwmj said jay confirmed qgtm"
In response to Reply # 55

anything else said other is just people
coppin' pleas tryin' to save image and protect a fadin'
icon
the emperor has no clothes
you're just blind baby
blind to the fact
stop watchin' channel zero
deal with it

I. Motion
Member since Jun 17th 2009
836 posts
Sat Aug-18-12 04:41 PM

67. "You Shouldn't Feed Trolls,You Let Them Stave To Death.........."
In response to Reply # 55

L0WD0WN
Member since Oct 11th 2010
212 posts
Fri Aug-17-12 12:08 AM

52. "Did she?"

oh, okay. Well that ends the discussion then. If Dream says so.

www.newzbomb.com

DanSpeak
Charter member
3089 posts
Fri Aug-17-12 01:56 AM

54. "I know right? LOL!!!"
In response to Reply # 52
Fri Aug-17-12 01:57 AM by DanSpeak

Dream ....the JAY fangirl who WROTE A BOOK ABOUT HIM???

Her word? *Blank stare*

People are glossing over the Tweet that started the whole thing. She only made the accusation in a DEFENSE of Hov! The tweet is still out there. Then she shut her account down for a sec and came back talking some "i don't give a fuk" shit because she knew she played Herself.

But y'all go ahead and keep running with this shit tho ....

https://twitter.com/DJDanSpeak

https://soundcloud.com/dan-speak/the-voyage-mix?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

Anonymous
Charter member
23234 posts
Fri Aug-17-12 08:35 PM

62. "The hierarchy in Jay-Z dick sucking goes like this"
In response to Reply # 54

Buildingblock
Dream Hampton
And then Beyonce.

Bblock
6243 posts
Fri Aug-17-12 09:29 PM

63. "u ride my dick more than my chick and ur bitch combined, faggot"
In response to Reply # 62

deal with it

Otis Oliver Ocean
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
1471 posts
Sun Aug-19-12 10:35 AM

73. "Lmao @ "The hierarchy in Jay-Z dick sucking""

L0WD0WN
Member since Oct 11th 2010
212 posts
Sun Aug-19-12 10:48 PM

77. "Come on man.."

that's unfair. I'm pretty sure Beyonce sucks Jay's dick more frequently than Dream Hampton.

www.newzbomb.com

Brew
24419 posts
Mon Aug-20-12 09:18 AM

79. "A++++++ posting"

>Buildingblock
>Dream Hampton
>And then Beyonce.

murph71
23113 posts
Sun Aug-19-12 07:56 AM

70. "RE: dream heard whole verses demo'd. nas lost. deal with it"

What Dream heard was tracks with hooks and choruses....Not Nas' verses...

Don't know how else to spell it out for u, homie...

BSharp
Charter member
9243 posts
Sun Aug-19-12 08:40 AM

71. "And what are your opinions about the Jay Elec joint?"
In response to Reply # 70

>Don't know how else to spell it out for u, homie...

16580 posts
Sun Aug-19-12 10:28 AM

72. "We supposed to believe some dude that said Jay Elec called him?"
In response to Reply # 71

We supposed to believe anything involving Jay Elec period? Nas is Nas. Them dudes can't write rhymes for Nas because they can't rap like Nas. Jay is the modern day Killah Priest so unless we're saying Priest was on Nas level, miss me with that shit.

murph71
23113 posts
Sun Aug-19-12 09:56 PM

75. "RE: And what are your opinions about the Jay Elec joint?"
In response to Reply # 71

>
>>Don't know how else to spell it out for u, homie...

I don't...Because Jay Elec doesn't have the best rep...In the past he's said some pretty off the wall shit...So, I'll believe the dude who has been in the game since 1991-92 and has never given me pause to believe he uses a ghostwriter over a cat that has been trying to drop an album for 4 plus years now (which I'm waiting for as well...)....

FromTheGo
Member since Feb 04th 2003
10606 posts
Fri Aug-17-12 10:16 PM

64. "wait, so if having your song and hook consulted = ghostwriting..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RKOWrot5Eo

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††
http://s17.postimg.org/6r7bfqpnz/kyrieglass.jpg - They Call Him Mr. Glass

self_ish
Charter member
2117 posts
Sat Aug-18-12 07:12 AM

65. "^^^Damn. Say it ain't so Jiggaman. Say it ain't so...."
In response to Reply # 64

16580 posts
Sat Aug-18-12 07:46 AM

66. "Jay took feelin it from camp lo and jacked they style along with it"

sweeneykovar
Member since Oct 26th 2004
10122 posts
Sun Aug-19-12 12:51 PM

74. "kanye gave that to jay n/m"

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18388 posts
Sun Aug-19-12 10:13 PM

76. "there's also this"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_O_-URLgIM

rtoriq
Member since Aug 28th 2005
405 posts
Sun Aug-19-12 01:34 AM

68. ""
In response to Reply # 0

That nice, Stic. Now get your boy's head straight and smack him for sayin he'd smack the shyt outta someone for his boss' wife's friend, and that "some ppl get a pass". Smh. That was such a turnoff for me.

------------------
reflect.

justin_scott
Charter member
19868 posts
Sun Aug-19-12 03:38 AM

69. "some people dont know the diff. between ghostwriters amd collaboraters."
In response to Reply # 0

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Mon Aug-20-12 09:44 AM

80. "stic.man is an average mc, that's all the proof I need"
In response to Reply # 0

what he only saves his super dope shit for nas... foh... this was the most blown out of proportion "controversy" in hiphop history

Brew
24419 posts
Mon Aug-20-12 09:57 AM

81. "RE: stic.man is an average mc, that's all the proof I need"
In response to Reply # 80

>what he only saves his super dope shit for nas... foh... this
>was the most blown out of proportion "controversy" in hiphop
>history

Haha. Surprised it took this long for this little gem of common sense to make its way into the conversation.

In other words, great point(s)

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Aug-20-12 10:05 AM

82. "pretty much..."
In response to Reply # 80

Dream's role in this straight disgusted me man
like, there are a million ways you could have responded to the claims of why Jay-Z never made an Untitled w/o undermining Nas's credibility as an MC/writer, a number of them have been posted on the Lesson and are pretty valid ("Jay already did", "those kind of songs aren't Jay-Z's lane", etc)

some jabronis just don't want to let dude live

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Mon Aug-20-12 10:36 AM

84. "ANY1 riding with this has zero credibility to me, none"
In response to Reply # 82

because it is so illogical and fucking stupid, I could see if Nas has been around for 2 years but he's been murdering shit for 20 and his style has not changed AT ALL... it takes Jay Electronic 4 months to write one song and Dead Prez is irrelevant and has always been an average ass rap group who keeps somewhat of a buzz with their over the top political bullshit... Since Jay Elec had buzz when Untitled dropped Nas has dropped 2 lyrical masterpieces (joint with Damian and now Life is Good) and I'm supposed to believe someone else was behind it LOL...

Maybe this story wouldve been 1% believable if I found out someone like Nas was ghostwriting for Jay Elect.

I can't believe this is even an issue or a story, it's everything wrong with the new media world we live in that this is even a story, the fact Vibe felt the need to get Stic.Man to even respond to this (not blaming Vibe, the need came from the outcry) is pathetic in itself!

murph71
23113 posts
Mon Aug-20-12 12:41 PM

85. "RE: ANY1 riding with this has zero credibility to me, none"
In response to Reply # 84
Mon Aug-20-12 12:41 PM by murph71

>because it is so illogical and fucking stupid, I could see if
>Nas has been around for 2 years but he's been murdering shit
>for 20 and his style has not changed AT ALL... it takes Jay
>Electronic 4 months to write one song and Dead Prez is
>irrelevant and has always been an average ass rap group who
>keeps somewhat of a buzz with their over the top political
>bullshit...

Wouldn't go that far...Let's Get Free was a damn good album...

>I can't believe this is even an issue or a story, it's
>everything wrong with the new media world we live in that this
>is even a story, the fact Vibe felt the need to get Stic.Man
>to even respond to this (not blaming Vibe, the need came from
>the outcry) is pathetic in itself!

Stic wanted to set the record straight...That's all to it...

The blame goes to the new media monsters: Twitter and Blogging...The way people have utilized them has been great in terms of freeing up information and tearing down that curtain that always existed between the public and the entertainment world...That's been great...

The problem is, people that ALL twitter posts and bloggers seriously...That's "pathetic"....

kevlar skully
Member since Mar 13th 2007
6049 posts
Mon Aug-20-12 01:39 PM

86. "she basically implied Nas was too stupid to write Untitled "
In response to Reply # 82

>Dream's role in this straight disgusted me man
>like, there are a million ways you could have responded to the
>claims of why Jay-Z never made an Untitled w/o undermining
>Nas's credibility as an MC/writer, a number of them have been
>posted on the Lesson and are pretty valid ("Jay already did",
>"those kind of songs aren't Jay-Z's lane", etc)
>
>some jabronis just don't want to let dude live

like dude isn't knowledgeable enough to write raps about Crispus Attucks and fox news

Lobby The Lesson topic #2731188 Previous topic | Next topic