Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2722067

Subject: "Is there a difference between a cover and a remake?" Previous topic | Next topic
Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Thu Jul-19-12 05:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is there a difference between a cover and a remake?"
Thu Jul-19-12 05:59 PM by Selah

...or do you think they are the same?

(post edit: title changed for the persnickety)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
none
Jul 19th 2012
so by this defintion there is no such thing as a recorded cover?
Jul 19th 2012
      i didn't say that
Jul 19th 2012
           technically
Jul 19th 2012
                a remake is probably a newer term
Jul 19th 2012
Jul 19th 2012
i thought one had differences
Jul 19th 2012
      no, they're the same thing, some covers or remakes are more faithful
Jul 19th 2012
      connotation
Jul 19th 2012
      they mean the same thing.
Jul 19th 2012
is there really confusion over this?
Jul 19th 2012
i know people get confused over samples and interpolations
Jul 19th 2012
no. the words are used interchangeably.
Jul 19th 2012
not really, however why not confirm?
Jul 19th 2012
Eh, it's the same...
Jul 19th 2012
and an update means a new version
Dec 05th 2012
RE: Is there a difference between a cover and a remake?
Dec 05th 2012

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Thu Jul-19-12 05:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "none"
In response to Reply # 0

if you want to get technical, a "cover" derives from when live performers had to play other people's songs to cover for their lack of (good/audience-appropriate) material

Selah
16484 posts
Thu Jul-19-12 05:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "so by this defintion there is no such thing as a recorded cover?"
In response to Reply # 1

howisya
39983 posts
Thu Jul-19-12 05:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "i didn't say that"
In response to Reply # 3

i just gave you an anecdote on where the term comes from, there are millions of recorded covers

Selah
16484 posts
Thu Jul-19-12 06:15 PM

13. "technically"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu Jul-19-12 06:19 PM by Selah

I guess you didn't

I was basing off your historical-recap

howisya
39983 posts
Thu Jul-19-12 06:34 PM

14. "a remake is probably a newer term"
In response to Reply # 13

they all mean the same thing, a performance of someone else's song, it's just the word "cover" has a specific history the other, more general, probably newer terms don't.

now what about karaoke? i would argue this is a term that is set apart somewhat from the others, cover, remake, etc., because it uses a prerecorded backing track. if you're covering something, the instrumentation is all new.* not so with karaoke. a (hip-hop) recorded "freestyle" is related to this. the lyrics and flow differ, but usually it's someone else's instrumental being used and often the original song referenced in some way. it's not quite a cover, not really a remix unless appended to the original, and certainly not karaoke where the original song lyrics are being performed.

*there is a great cover by the dismemberment plan of the cure's "close to me" where the original is scratched at the end. other covers exist where the original song is actually sampled, but it isn't that common IMO.

oh, and is a remix really a remix? a remix was just a re-mix, a new mix (different volume levels/stereo panning). an edit changes the length, like a radio edit could be a shorter version by omitting a bridge or something. some edits, like an extended or dance edit, might add instrumentation as well as effects to the original. remixes come from this, to the point where the music might be completely different. remix itself doesn't really mean what it did originally or what the word would suggest. all of this is to say it's fair to question these terms even if on the surface it might seem like a "dumb question."

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Jul-19-12 05:28 PM

2. "0."
In response to Reply # 0

i've always known them to be the same thing. different words for the same thing.

fuck you.

Selah
16484 posts
Thu Jul-19-12 05:31 PM

6. "i thought one had differences"
In response to Reply # 2

think:

different melody
different beat

while the other did not

example:

Marvin Gaye's version of the Beatles' "Yesterday"

vs Snoop's version of "La-Di-Dah-Di"

one sounds like the exact same thing done by two different people, the other could almost (aside from lyrics) be two different songs

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jul-19-12 05:33 PM

8. "no, they're the same thing, some covers or remakes are more faithful"
In response to Reply # 6

to the original version than others.

howisya
39983 posts
Thu Jul-19-12 05:36 PM

9. "connotation"
In response to Reply # 6

they may connote something different for you, but they mean the same thing. i know what you mean because some performers aim to redo/remake/recreate a song faithfully. it's basically the same arrangement. it might not even be the original songwriter's arrangement but another popular arrangement that is itself a cover.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Jul-19-12 05:46 PM

10. "they mean the same thing."
In response to Reply # 6

fuck you.

ninjitsu
Member since Oct 07th 2011
4151 posts
Thu Jul-19-12 05:29 PM

4. "is there really confusion over this?"
In response to Reply # 0

howisya
39983 posts
Thu Jul-19-12 05:33 PM

7. "i know people get confused over samples and interpolations"
In response to Reply # 4

and remixes... but a cover is a remake is a rendition...

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Jul-19-12 05:47 PM

11. "no. the words are used interchangeably."
In response to Reply # 4

fuck you.

Selah
16484 posts
Thu Jul-19-12 05:57 PM

12. "not really, however why not confirm?"
In response to Reply # 4

they *could* be different things

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Thu Jul-19-12 09:18 PM

15. "Eh, it's the same..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jul-19-12 09:29 PM by Jakob Hellberg

"remake" is a newer term (actually, I'm not sure of that but the *label* remake, I don't remember people using to the same extent as cover back in the day) and since music has changed a bit, I guess songs labelled "remakes" sound a bit principally different in some genres from covers back in the day but I'm not even sure of that and I don't think it makes too much sense. Cover=you play a previously recorded *and* released song (the released part is important IMO). Remake=same shit. Tryng to go beyond that just makes shit unnecessarily convoluted and I'm 100% sure there will be contradictions and inconsistensie, especially since I haven't seen a strict definition of remake that defines it differently from ''cover'' anywhare...

Anyway, if *i* was asked to define them as different things, a cover would be something that had the sheet-music aspect (=melody, chords) in common but is otherwise treated more loosely whereas a remake would also add a similar arrangement and instrumentation. However, since the terms have been used interchangeably, it's pretty pointless...

EDIT:Maybe a remake could be a subset of a cover (=a remake is a cover, a cover isn't necessarily a remake) which would make sense but that is something that people need to agree upon and I doubt that will happen, especially since I've seen the term remake used for covers that *sound* radically different...

EDIT 2: Maybe you could use the word remake when artists cover themselves (=they record one of their songs again). Then, it isn't really a cover but it is definitely a remake. That would be the best definition IMO but again, try to make that shit common consensus-not very easy...

howisya
39983 posts
Wed Dec-05-12 12:04 AM

16. "and an update means a new version"
In response to Reply # 0

either by the original artist with a re-recording or new live arrangement or a cover that modernizes the song for better or worse

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Wed Dec-05-12 11:39 AM

17. "RE: Is there a difference between a cover and a remake?"
In response to Reply # 0

cover i think is when someone sings a song EXACTLY like the original artist including all adlibs and runs in the same style kind of like when someone sings "Lovin You by Minnie Ripperton"

Remake is a version of a song but done in a way where you dont try to imatate the original artist kind of like

when Anita baker redid Lately by Tyrese

karaoke is actually singing to score points for copying the original tune.

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2722067 Previous topic | Next topic