Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2702091

Subject: "Where does Mavis Staples rank among the g.o.a.t. singers?" Previous topic | Next topic
Black_N_Still Proud
Member since May 02nd 2012
207 posts
Tue May-22-12 08:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Where does Mavis Staples rank among the g.o.a.t. singers?"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
not that high though i like her
May 22nd 2012
RE: not that high though i like her
May 22nd 2012
      somewhere between Patti Labelle and Tina Turner is where
May 22nd 2012
           RE: somewhere between Patti Labelle and Tina Turner is where
May 22nd 2012
                yeah however if you never have the material then you are a dime a dozen
May 22nd 2012
                     RE: yeah however if you never have the material then you are a dime a do...
May 22nd 2012
                          yeah however you also need personality as well
May 22nd 2012
                               RE: yeah however you also need personality as well
May 23rd 2012
RE: Where does Mavis Staples rank among the g.o.a.t. singers?
May 23rd 2012
May 23rd 2012
May 23rd 2012
May 23rd 2012

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue May-22-12 08:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "not that high though i like her"
In response to Reply # 0

she had a hit and miss solo career and all of her memorable money tracks were with the staple singers.

somewhere between TIna Turner and Ann Pebbles is where you might find Mavis Staples. she never got the right solo career of songs and production.

had she had Curtis Mayfield writing on her or a THom Bell style Production who knows.

she is in the very good section though high,high 2nd tier.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Black_N_Still Proud
207 posts
Tue May-22-12 09:07 PM

2. "RE: not that high though i like her"
In response to Reply # 1

>she had a hit and miss solo career and all of her memorable
>money tracks were with the staple singers.
>
>somewhere between TIna Turner and Ann Pebbles is where you
>might find Mavis Staples. she never got the right solo career
>of songs and production.
>
>had she had Curtis Mayfield writing on her or a THom Bell
>style Production who knows.
>
>she is in the very good section though high,high 2nd tier.

She got that "church" in her voice. In my opinion, she's one of the few who can actually sing almost anything and her voice makes up for it. Like the song might not even be all that but her voice and the way she holds and carries her notes are just amazing. I love the way she holds her notes.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Tue May-22-12 09:10 PM

3. "somewhere between Patti Labelle and Tina Turner is where "
In response to Reply # 2

she outta be and sadly she is Unsung to so many. I dig her voice, however she never even got the Candi Staton solo track.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Black_N_Still Proud
207 posts
Tue May-22-12 09:18 PM

4. "RE: somewhere between Patti Labelle and Tina Turner is where "
In response to Reply # 3

>she outta be and sadly she is Unsung to so many. I dig her
>voice, however she never even got the Candi Staton solo
>track.

Yeah, I agree on her own catalog never really being what it should've been. Man, her voice is just so powerful. She could've done a tight duet album with Bill Withers. I think that would've tight.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Tue May-22-12 09:23 PM

5. "yeah however if you never have the material then you are a dime a dozen"
In response to Reply # 4

sad to say. gotta have the songs, the songs, the songs period. or you are just another voice with no direction, think about Christina Agullaria? she is the good category when she should be in the almost great section, but hit and miss to corny material has made her a sideline act instead of a frontliner.

Black_N_Still Proud
207 posts
Tue May-22-12 09:36 PM

6. "RE: yeah however if you never have the material then you are a dime a do..."
In response to Reply # 5

> sad to say. gotta have the songs, the songs, the songs
>period. or you are just another voice with no direction,
>think about Christina Agullaria? she is the good category
>when she should be in the almost great section, but hit and
>miss to corny material has made her a sideline act instead of
>a frontliner.

Yeah, I agree. The songs are the most important thing because while the talent does need to be there, the songs are what people remember. Christina Aguilera should be in top tier but yeah the lack of great material has placed her lost in the shuffle. Because in my opinion, Christina vocally ain't got much competition right now. Rihanna, Beyonce, Katy Perry or Gaga ain't seeing her vocally, not in a million years Christina just needs some great material to work with because that's all she's missing. I think it'd be tight if she dropped a gospel album along with a new album filled with some great songs. Christina voice is soul and rooted in R&B, she needs to just do a true R&B album because that's where she's at vocally. Monica is another one. She got that voice too! She just needs some great material. But vocally, Monica still sounds great.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Tue May-22-12 10:42 PM

7. "yeah however you also need personality as well"
In response to Reply # 6

thing is you need the songs and you also gotta have something going on as well. christina has talent and marginal personality and it feels lost at sea.

if she had the songs and some energy and charisma she might make Beyonce step her game up because Beyonce is the one with the "IT" however she has no songs and nobody to challenge her and nobody who is honest about her wack material for the most part

Black_N_Still Proud
207 posts
Wed May-23-12 01:50 AM

8. "RE: yeah however you also need personality as well"
In response to Reply # 7

> thing is you need the songs and you also gotta have
>something going on as well. christina has talent and marginal
>personality and it feels lost at sea.
>
>if she had the songs and some energy and charisma she might
>make Beyonce step her game up because Beyonce is the one with
>the "IT" however she has no songs and nobody to challenge her
>and nobody who is honest about her wack material for the most
>part

Yeah, I agree.

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Wed May-23-12 09:19 AM

9. "RE: Where does Mavis Staples rank among the g.o.a.t. singers?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-23-12 09:22 AM by Strangeways

She did the commentary with smokey robinson on last year's gospel movie "rejoice and shout" which was such a great film. when you get a chance, get the gospel documentary movie "rejoice and shout" because I saw it last year at the advance screening and it is just that good. great film. I posted about it in the pass the popcorn forum last year.

Black_N_Still Proud
207 posts
Wed May-23-12 12:38 PM

11. "RE: Where does Mavis Staples rank among the g.o.a.t. singers?"
In response to Reply # 9

>She did the commentary with smokey robinson on last year's
>gospel movie "rejoice and shout" which was such a great film.
>when you get a chance, get the gospel documentary movie
>"rejoice and shout" because I saw it last year at the advance
>screening and it is just that good. great film. I posted about
>it in the pass the popcorn forum last year.

Oh ok, thanks.

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Wed May-23-12 12:23 PM

10. "RE: Where does Mavis Staples rank among the g.o.a.t. singers?"
In response to Reply # 0

mavis staples was on rejoice and shout movie. here is the thread that I posted last year on this movie, get this movie:

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=580536&mesg_id=580536&listing_type=search

Black_N_Still Proud
207 posts
Wed May-23-12 12:39 PM

12. "RE: Where does Mavis Staples rank among the g.o.a.t. singers?"
In response to Reply # 10

>mavis staples was on rejoice and shout movie. here is the
>thread that I posted last year on this movie, get this movie:
>
>http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=580536&mesg_id=580536&listing_type=search

Oh ok, thanks again.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2702091 Previous topic | Next topic