Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2701349

Subject: "Stevie Wonder's "Talking Book" 40th Anniversary" Previous topic | Next topic
smoothcriminal12
Member since Jan 07th 2012
405 posts
Mon May-21-12 12:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Stevie Wonder's "Talking Book" 40th Anniversary"

Released October 1972, this was Stevie's first fully self-produced album. He wrote or co-wrote all the songs, and plays most of the instruments on it: keyboards, drums, and harmonica.

You Are the Sunshine of My Life
Maybe Your Baby
You and I (We Can Conquer the World)
Tuesday Heartbreak
You've Got It Bad Girl
Superstition
Big Brother
Blame It on the Sun
Looking for Another Pure Love
I Believe (When I Fall in Love It Will Be Forever)

By that 1972, Stevie Wonder had already spent nearly a decade churning out hits for Motown as Little Stevie. But at age 22 he no longer wanted to follow the Motown formula, a formula designed to produce hit singles rather than innovation. So Wonder struck out on his own. Over the next decade, he experimented with a variety of instruments and developed a sound that we still identify as uniquely his own. He recorded a series of albums that proved he was a master of lush ballads as well as gritty funk...

"The period of "Talking Book" was a period of great explosion in synthesis. It was the first time that you heard a lot of Clavinet. And when you hear that Clavinet intro to "Superstition," what you're hearing is someone who is interacting with an instrument and figuring out how to make it sound like him. No one else plays the Clavinet like Stevie Wonder does. He made it speak."

..."Talking Book" marked the arrival of artist as one-man band in popular music...

Stevie Wonder says "Talking Book" was a turning point, his first real growth as a boy becoming a man. And making all of the artistic decisions himself and relying less on Motown head Berry Gordy for direction, Stevie Wonder proved his independence as an artist.

"Talking Book" crystallized Wonder's talent as a singer, writer and producer. He proved he could write grooves to keep you on the dance floor and, at the same time, make you think about social problems. And on the other side, he could melt your heart.

Stevie, looking back at Talking Book:

"I wanted to just express various many things that I felt—the political point of view that I have, the social point of view that I have, the passions, emotion and love that I felt, compassion, the fun of love that I felt, the whole thing in the beginning with a joyful love, the pain of love."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It was not really self-produced per se
May 21st 2012
I copped this off of another forum.
May 21st 2012
yeah... which is also 40 years old (as of March)
May 21st 2012
classic album
May 21st 2012
I thought this was about a special edition.
May 21st 2012
the word is Stevie 'nem recorded dozens/hundreds of songs
May 21st 2012
yup.
May 21st 2012
uhhhhh
May 21st 2012
Apparently he wants them all to be destroyed when he dies.
May 21st 2012
      RE: Apparently he wants them all to be destroyed when he dies.
May 21st 2012
           RE: Apparently he wants them all to be destroyed when he dies.
May 21st 2012
The first Stevie album I explored deeply (when I was 14).
May 21st 2012
You Got It Bad Girl and
May 21st 2012
Tuesday Heartbreak is my favorite album track
May 21st 2012
MFSL jst released ths album on vinyl. right from the master tapes
May 24th 2012
The SACD form last year is pretty good
May 24th 2012

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon May-21-12 12:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "It was not really self-produced per se"
In response to Reply # 0

Nor was it the first Stevie Wonder LP to be billed as being "self-produced"

>Released October 1972, this was Stevie's first fully
>self-produced album. He wrote or co-wrote all the songs, and
>plays most of the instruments on it: keyboards, drums, and
>harmonica.

There were a lot more instrumentalists on this album... sounds like this should be the description for the previous album, Music of My Mind.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

smoothcriminal12
405 posts
Mon May-21-12 12:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I copped this off of another forum."
In response to Reply # 1

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon May-21-12 12:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "yeah... which is also 40 years old (as of March)"
In response to Reply # 1

>There were a lot more instrumentalists on this album... sounds
>like this should be the description for the previous album,
>Music of My Mind.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon May-21-12 12:55 PM

3. "classic album"
In response to Reply # 0

and a turning point in his career because he got it all together with his creativity and also his commerical side. love this album.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Mon May-21-12 01:22 PM

5. "I thought this was about a special edition."
In response to Reply # 0

dang...

http://www.windimoto.com

http://ten2one.wordpress.com/ <-FEB

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon May-21-12 01:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "the word is Stevie 'nem recorded dozens/hundreds of songs"
In response to Reply # 0

for Music of My Mind, Talking Book and Innervisions. and then they compiled the albums from this pool of songs.

i wanna hear the best of the leftovers. but rumor has it Stevie has made sure i'll never get to hear them. beyond a snippet here and there.

boo.

fuck you.

Member since Mar 01st 2005
9915 posts
Mon May-21-12 02:13 PM

7. "yup."
In response to Reply # 6

*leaves*

NO! LIST
Tom Petty
M J
Zeppelin
Springsteen
Neil Young
Eagles
Ray Charles
Madonna
Chuck Berry
South Park TV Songs
Justin Timberlake
"Food Glorious Food"
"Twilight Zone" theme
"A Boy Named Sue"
"Night Moves"
"The Situation"
"Superbowl Shuffle"

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon May-21-12 06:33 PM

12. "uhhhhh"
In response to Reply # 7

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2700386&mesg_id=2700386&page=#2701396

go up one to here:

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2700386&mesg_id=2700386&page=#2701394

If I can figure out all the context clues. I'm just saying.

Agent 15, this is your mission should you choose to accept.

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

smoothcriminal12
405 posts
Mon May-21-12 02:45 PM

8. "Apparently he wants them all to be destroyed when he dies."
In response to Reply # 6

wisdom31
Charter member
1695 posts
Mon May-21-12 05:34 PM

9. "RE: Apparently he wants them all to be destroyed when he dies."
In response to Reply # 8

I wish that he would release some treats for us music fans...throwaway 70s Stevie joints should be infintely better than some of the music that is being released at the present...

smoothcriminal12
405 posts
Mon May-21-12 06:05 PM

11. "RE: Apparently he wants them all to be destroyed when he dies."
In response to Reply # 9

There's a lot of stuff floating around on Youtube, but it only leaves you wanting more.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32710 posts
Mon May-21-12 06:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "The first Stevie album I explored deeply (when I was 14)."
In response to Reply # 0

tandmfam
Member since Apr 20th 2010
1614 posts
Mon May-21-12 06:53 PM

13. "You Got It Bad Girl and"
In response to Reply # 0

Looking For Another Pure Love are some of the greatest songs ever

Virgenes Corazon
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
2985 posts
Mon May-21-12 07:20 PM

14. "Tuesday Heartbreak is my favorite album track"
In response to Reply # 0

Keep going back to that. It seems so incongrous. Putting the sad subject matter with really up music and the upbeat lyrics with ballad-esque stuff ("I Believe"). "Tuesday Heartbreak" sounds like such a party when it shouldn't.

Avatar: Chikara Pro Wrestling. Born From Oblivion.

New Technology Vs. Horse album, "Sorry That I Knocked You Up" http://technologyvshorse.bandcamp.com/album/sorry-that-i-knocked-you-up

Record Playa
Member since Apr 29th 2007
2925 posts
Thu May-24-12 06:43 PM

15. "MFSL jst released ths album on vinyl. right from the master tapes"
In response to Reply # 0

handle
Charter member
18968 posts
Thu May-24-12 07:01 PM

16. "The SACD form last year is pretty good"
In response to Reply # 15

>

Lobby The Lesson topic #2701349 Previous topic | Next topic