Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2701320

Subject: "Can We Talk About the Greatness That Was The Shook Ones Video???"" Previous topic | Next topic
WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17896 posts
Mon May-21-12 10:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Can We Talk About the Greatness That Was The Shook Ones Video???""

I'm having a serious flashback Monday with the boss gone and nothing to do this morning. Checking out vids by Channel Live, X-Clan, Boogiemonsters and Souls of Mischief when I rediscover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP0wsET8__Y&feature=related

Remember watching this joint in the college dorm.

Hav and P. Say what you want about them dudes, this was a high water mark for their career and for hip hop. Top ten track in the entire genre..........with one of the most bootleg ass video ever.

Flossin' like you drivin' when it's obvious you gettin' towed - check!

Bunch of random dudes in the back ground making aggressive gestures - check!

Cats walkin' in front of the camera, clockin' your shot- check!

Add in the home made Queensbridge jerseys with Hennessy misspelled on the front, and you have a vintage piece of 90's greatness.

Fuck, I miss the good ole days sometimes.......

Where were you when Shook Ones Pt. II dropped?????

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
-George Clinton

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I thougt Mobb Deep was from Chicago when I first saw the video
May 21st 2012
RE: I thougt Mobb Deep was from Chicago when I first saw the video
May 23rd 2012

forgivenphoenix
Member since Dec 08th 2007
2514 posts
Mon May-21-12 08:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I thougt Mobb Deep was from Chicago when I first saw the video"
In response to Reply # 0

i thought it was odd that rappers from New York were actually driving in something that appears to be their own car.

i didn't really get into the track at first. i wasn't into 'ill' or off-kilter songs like Shook Ones at that age really outside of Wu-Tang. But this beat goes hard. between the shrillness of the 'guitar' or whatever that is the drops when the song begins to the drums to that amazing guitar off-beat sample, it really is a top 10 song.

i don't know if you've seen it, but there's an NBA commercial for the Spurs that has the Shook Ones instrumental as the background music. the beat doesn't really fit the image of the commercial, but it's cool to hear that beat in the commercial.

http://www.twitter.com/chriscjamison/

People who don't take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.

Peter Drucker

cloak323
Member since Sep 14th 2007
371 posts
Wed May-23-12 08:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: I thougt Mobb Deep was from Chicago when I first saw the video"
In response to Reply # 1

Even though it looked cheap, I was like "yeah they gonna be around for a while." -the song is too dope for them to be denied and the simplicity of the video just added to this kinda rugged mystique I thought they had when I first heard of them. (compared to some of the flashy videos out during that time).

Lobby The Lesson topic #2701320 Previous topic | Next topic