Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2700106

Subject: "Wait...if Jarobi is acknowledged in ATCQ why isnt Consequence?" Previous topic | Next topic
ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Thu May-17-12 02:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Wait...if Jarobi is acknowledged in ATCQ why isnt Consequence?"
Thu May-17-12 02:41 PM by ABROCK33

Quence makes a great point:

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.11627/title.consequence-talks-good-music-release-day-reveals-native-tongues-lost-lp

"I don’t get the accolades of being in A Tribe Called Quest, as being like a solidified member. And I rapped on more records on one album than the fourth member. And I love Jarobi, it’s no him. But…I done came up with “Stressed Out.” And that’s a big record for they catalog… So you can’t negate my contribution and throw that shit under the rug like you didn’t eat off of it… This shit boils down to what you bring to the table as a artist, and that’s where I don’t feel it’s fair to discredit what I do."

basically Jarobi had minimal input on 1 lb and he didn't rhyme at all but he's a core member and in the documentary and will probaly be inducted in the HOF when the are inducted

Cons on the other hand had his own solo "The chase" and was featured prominently on BRL yet isnt discussed and wasnt in the movie

you may not like Quence or BRL but he is speaking sense here
---------------------------------------------------------

BTW the article also speaks to the Beef between Phife and Tip surrounding his inclusion in the group, NT supposed lp and a few more things:

HipHopDX: I don’t wanna start off on any sort of negative note, but since I spoke with him, you know I wanna get your response to Phife’s claim in his HipHopDX feature interview that Q-Tip never told him that you were formally joining A Tribe Called Quest back in the mid-‘90s, and that he thought Tip was trying to replace him with you.
Consequence: My first look that I ever did with was “The Chase, Part II” . I was still in high school, fam. I played no part in the decision making process of what they did. Like, I’m a kid in high school. I’m a kid in high school who’s been rappin’ his ass off, been in ciphers on Linden Boulevard with the likes of Run - when Reverend Run was Run… I’m rappin’ against him. I’m rappin’ against Busta Rhymes… A lot of people don’t know how I even got into Tribe. They know because of I’m Q-Tip’s cousin, but it wasn’t like, yo, I’ma just scoop you and you just gonna be the roadie/rapper. It wasn’t even that kind of party.

You asked a question, and he chose to answer it the way he chose to answer it… I’ve spoken to Phife. I didn’t feel belittled , I just felt like, if you gonna let it be known, let it be known. Don’t pick apart the story... It’s not a fair depiction of what I contributed to the group. I was pulled in to contribute, not to be nobody’s dissolution.

When the idea floated around of me actually coming the group, it wasn’t just like, yo, he’s in. I actually had did about three or four records . The one people know, that they heard, was the “Glamour & Glitz” .

Coming off of , what leverage do I have to be in the group? I’m in high school . me and Q-Tip are not like same-age cousins, where it’s like, yo, you owe me…or, I used to whip niggas ass for you back in the day so you gotta put me in your group. The shit wasn’t that kind of party. Your skill set had to be at a level where it was like, yo, this muthafucka is ill. The cherry on top is that we family, but this is a business. It was business for them. It was more business for them than it was for me back then… Nobody snuck me . I’m not Elian Gonzalez in Cuba.

What I ain’t like about was that, as much as me and Phife communicate – Like, me and Phife, prior to that interview had been communicating throughout the year… My man Litro, the Tribe road manager, had thrown a diabetes charity event on behalf of Phife … I showed up, Q-Tip showed up, Ali showed up… The scheduling of the show didn’t go accordingly. It was kinda a situation where everybody didn’t wanna perform because the way that the acts kinda like went out of order. But I was the one – I, Consequence, and I’m going to take credit for this – who said to Q-Tip and Ali Shaheed Muhammad, “Listen, I’m gonna go out there and do ‘The Good, The Bad, The Ugly’ and y’all gonna come with me. ‘Cause that’s our man, and this is his event, and it’s gonna look crazy if we don’t go out there as A Tribe Called Quest.”

Now mind you, I didn’t get an invite to the Hip Hop Honors , I had to muthafuckin’ finagle my way on to … And I ain’t never even been one to complain. I don’t go to the press. And I never said, 'fuck Tribe Called Quest' when I left . I never was like, yo, muthafuckas did me like this... I ain’t never been like that… Because with me, I always appreciated the opportunity. It was an opportunity of a lifetime for a kid, like I said who was still in high school. Regardless of whoever my family was, they all became my family.

Don’t think for a minute me and Phife ain’t talk about how I got into the group. Phife knows good and well me and him spent a whole summer in Atlanta in 1995, because Tribe and Jive was going through basically a strike. Beats, Rhymes And Life initially was supposed to come out in 1995 and it didn’t come out till 1996 because they had to their budget… That was a two-month process that occurred from July ‘til about Labor Day… I went to me and Phife got cool. he expressed to me how he wasn’t fully in-the-loop . And I was like, “Yo dog, I ain’t here for that. I ain’t here to take nobody’s place. Nigga, I look up to you. Like, you a nigga from my hood who been on TV” - when TV was like the only outlet. Like, “Nigga, you was on , nigga. You Phife, nigga!” And when it was told to me what his discrepancy with Tip was I was straight-up honest with the man like, “Yo duke, you might wanna do your own thing.” And that’s me going against blood!

DX: Let me just interject here having spoken to him, to Phife, for both his feature and when he followed-up with some additional clarification on those comments, I believe he was sincere when he said there was no malicious intent directed towards you with what he said.
Consequence: You know, here’s my thing, and I hope that you put this in print, my thing is that we’re all family. It’s no disrespect to you as a journalist, but certain business is just family business. So…that’s why I emphasized to you I never said, "Fuck A Tribe Called Quest," ever. You never heard me say that. And in a lot of instances the average person woulda took that stance.

don’t get the accolades of being in A Tribe Called Quest, as being like a solidified member. And I rapped on more records on one album than the fourth member. And I love Jarobi, it’s no him. But…I done came up with “Stressed Out.” And that’s a big record for they catalog… So you can’t negate my contribution and throw that shit under the rug like you didn’t eat off of it… This shit boils down to what you bring to the table as a artist, and that’s where I don’t feel it’s fair to discredit what I do. by him saying that nobody got Tribe, I understand the point he was trying to make, but I felt like that was family business.

DX: So Rapaport didn’t ask you about any of this ; you didn’t sit down and talk with him about any of this?
Consequence: He asked me about some of the shit. you know what we ended up talking about? We ended up talking about the situation when they tried to put the Native Tongues back together and I flipped out about that shit… At that time Tribe was the most successful out of the three groups . Now mind you, I applaud De La Soul and I salute them muthafuckas… De La to me, out of everybody, has continued regardless . Treach tried to whip ass in The Palladium them muthafuckas dealt with they shit and they continued to forge forward no matter what they all wanted to do . And I applaud that shit to this day… it wasn’t De La , it was really more or less the muthafucka Afrika and Mike Gee . I don’t fuck with Afrika because of the whole cross-dressing shit, but the nigga Mike Gee, we see each other in Harlem, and it’s all good. But back then, I couldn’t really understand it because how I looked at the shit was like…this music shit is really about what you do right now, and what you plan on doing. It ain’t about what you did already… So, back then it was a situation where the Jungle Brothers felt like, “All y’all my sons.” And they kinda had a right to feel whatever – they was the ones who jumped out first – but you cannot try to disregard evolution… So they coming to the studio as if Tribe ain’t platinum. In my eyes, and from my point of view . Now from they point of view it might’ve been like, yo, these are our little niggas. But from my point of view these the muthafuckas putting me on, and you ain’t gonna come in here and disrespect them.

DX: So just to clarify, there was gonna be like a Native Tongues album and –
Consequence: Tried many times. The conversation that you had with me and Phife is a spin-off of that shit. That’s why I was so disappointed in it. Because, that’s the curse of the Native Tongues … was trying to do was this, they was trying to reconfigure the shit… The three-headed monster that was Native Tongues essentially was Jungle Brothers, De La Soul, and A Tribe Called Quest. Each had different leader: Afrika , Posdnuos , Q-Tip … for all intents and purposes at this time I am in A Tribe Called Quest, ‘cause everyday I gotta come to the studio.

DX: So you’re saying that Jungle Brothers came in and they were just trying to monopolize the situation in terms of doing a reunion album and that just cut everything off?
Consequence: They were trying to…place order like they bank was like that. ‘Cause at the end of the day, you’re in somebody else’s session, holmes! And I got into an argument with Tribe about it. I was like, “Yo, y’all don’t even see it for what it is.” It comes out years later, Afrika talking shit about Tip in VIBE magazine . I seen that shit from back then! That the nigga wasn’t on shit, ‘cause you just talking. You ain’t gotta talk if you a big dog.

DX: So how real was an album, like a crew album, how realistic was that ever happening, or was it just in the talking stages and it just never got past that?
Consequence: I can’t even say. ‘Cause after that one incident I was done with that shit, I wasn’t paying no more attention to it. I continued to write Beats, Rhymes And Life. That’s what I continued to do. we got into it, I got into it with Tip about the shit. He took his stance was like, “Yo, you don’t know them like that…” I’m like, “Alright cool, I know what I’m telling you.” And that shit played out to fruition… coulda been stupid. It was supposed to be Busta, Large Professor, me, Mos , Tribe, De La, and Jungle. And the shit woulda been crazy.

DX: What about Black Sheep?
Consequence: I mean, they name got thrown around, but I don’t know if was ever like . But I know them right there, the people I named, all of us had shit coming out and it was all supposed to be crazy. But it was like…big bank kill little bank. Nigga, , you little bank, sit your little dumb-ass down somewhere and just be cool… Duke, let the shit play out. Be cool! You know what it’s like, it’s like Paid In Full, when Calvin came home: “You hot nigga, just take this pack and just let this muthafuckin’ money come in, nigga.” “Nah nigga, this my block. I don’t need your little man coming over there telling me how to run my block.”

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

1619 the 1st slaves are brought to American shores
thus begins the phrase “mine is better than yours?” (huh?)
forced to serve-too broke to by freedom
the systematic rape of African culture has begun
little time

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
damn, good read
May 17th 2012
yeah he really goes in in a non PC way that Tip never would
May 17th 2012
founding member vs. last minute addition
May 17th 2012
but the key word is "member"
May 17th 2012
some may not include the latter years in their "legacy"
May 17th 2012
      lol @ people arbitrarily picking and choosing
May 17th 2012
      point is it's questionable
May 17th 2012
           its not questionable-Tip added him to the group
May 17th 2012
                *yawn* my first reply was my answer
May 17th 2012
                     thats not correct
May 17th 2012
                          cross-post
May 17th 2012
      The latter, part of tribe, wasn't really tribe...
May 17th 2012
           i cant belief cats are actually coppin pleas over the latter era of ATCQ
May 17th 2012
                Not my intent...
May 17th 2012
                     no disrespect
May 17th 2012
                          RE: no disrespect
May 17th 2012
                               in fairness to ATCQ tho
May 17th 2012
                                    Read again...
May 17th 2012
yo, the :B always gets me. HAHA
May 31st 2012
Everybody was on that buhloone mindstate mentality...
May 17th 2012
But nobody considers Dilla ATCQ either
May 17th 2012
^^^^
May 17th 2012
theirs a diffrence tho
May 17th 2012
      RE: Was he?
May 18th 2012
I don't think it's up to fans to decide who's in the group or not
May 17th 2012
^^
May 17th 2012
I never saw Cons as a group member
May 17th 2012
maybe if the nigga hadda sounded better
May 17th 2012
He rapped better than Phife on BRL
May 18th 2012
      they both were terrible so it really doesn't matter
May 18th 2012
           that really should be a tip solo
May 18th 2012
           extreme speculation
May 19th 2012
                RE: extreme speculation
May 31st 2012
           Agreed. Tip and Dilla were gelling sonically.
May 19th 2012
At the end of the day Cons is still gonna be a Garbage Pail Kid
May 17th 2012
Cons greatest claim to fame
May 17th 2012
Um there's plenty of Wu-Tang members that fall into that catogory
May 18th 2012
      name one Wu member not on classic songs or albums
May 19th 2012
Once Again, This Puts Q-Tip's Ego In Question
May 18th 2012
RE: Once Again, This Puts Q-Tip's Ego In Question
May 18th 2012
      please, the doc made Phife look like a child & Tip look grown & talented
Jun 01st 2012
I'm a fan of B,R,&L and Cons doesnt ruin that shit at all for me
May 18th 2012
Tip, Phife, Ali...
May 18th 2012
I don't think it matters if he's considered to be in the group.
May 18th 2012
This is just the same shit as Rock bands
May 18th 2012
great argument.
May 18th 2012
one
Jun 01st 2012
he should be....
May 19th 2012
simple: because he isn't a actual member
May 31st 2012
Cons was on that Johnny Gill shit.
Jun 01st 2012
this is the best question posted in the Lesson in the past 5 years
Jun 01st 2012
Is Cappa an official member of Wu? Dice an official member of the Roots?
Jun 01st 2012

mathmagic
Charter member
6078 posts
Thu May-17-12 02:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "damn, good read"
In response to Reply # 0

Jordan!

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Thu May-17-12 02:52 PM

2. "yeah he really goes in in a non PC way that Tip never would"
In response to Reply # 1

Phife is middle ground with it

Quence has legitimate points tho

he is as much if not more a part of ATCQ's legacy as Jarobi

Im glad he also addressed the perceived nepotism angle-that he only got in cuz he is Tips cousin

he and Tip don't even seem close like that

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu May-17-12 03:15 PM

3. "founding member vs. last minute addition"
In response to Reply # 0

:B will always be bitter, he's on the footnote albums not a member of the classic group.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Thu May-17-12 03:20 PM

4. "but the key word is "member""
In response to Reply # 3

he was a contributing member to the ATCQ legacy

just as much as Jarobi
just as much as Dilla

wether people "like" his contributions or not is another story

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu May-17-12 03:23 PM

5. "some may not include the latter years in their "legacy""
In response to Reply # 4

the movie didn't. tehehehehehe
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Thu May-17-12 03:27 PM

7. "lol @ people arbitrarily picking and choosing"
In response to Reply # 5

what belongs in a groups legacy

thats my point exzactly

thanks

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu May-17-12 03:31 PM

9. "point is it's questionable"
In response to Reply # 7

can't really question whether jarobi was in the group. he's announced as a member on the first album. personally i don't care.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Thu May-17-12 03:34 PM

11. "its not questionable-Tip added him to the group"
In response to Reply # 9
Thu May-17-12 03:35 PM by ABROCK33

he would still be in the group had he not left on his own

you care enough to have replied intially but now u dont care enough to support your stance when I am proving points?

incredible

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu May-17-12 03:41 PM

14. "*yawn* my first reply was my answer"
In response to Reply # 11

you wanna argue semantics.... oooooookkkkkkkkkkk

neither of them were core members. tribe was tip phife and ali. everyone else was extra.

feel better?
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Thu May-17-12 03:43 PM

16. "thats not correct"
In response to Reply # 14

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu May-17-12 03:45 PM

17. "cross-post"
In response to Reply # 16

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2700072&mesg_id=2700072&page=#2700124
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

jaybennie
Member since Feb 20th 2011
598 posts
Thu May-17-12 03:30 PM

8. "The latter, part of tribe, wasn't really tribe..."
In response to Reply # 5

It was more like the q-tip sessions, because he was pulling all the cards and the other members had to stick with it. Who knows if Ali or Phife had guys they wanted to include in their sessions, to only have tip kill the notion.

-Tip brought in Dilla
-Tip brought in Cons

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Thu May-17-12 03:33 PM

10. "i cant belief cats are actually coppin pleas over the latter era of ATCQ"
In response to Reply # 8

as I posted last week people have collectivly erased the Love Movement (and BRL) out of their memories lol

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

jaybennie
598 posts
Thu May-17-12 03:37 PM

12. "Not my intent..."
In response to Reply # 10

...I love those albums, and I will call them Tribe albums. Just trying to spark an opposing thought.

Personally, tribe was q-tip's monster. He controlled the creativity, the organization, and the direction tribe would take during their tenure. Consequence has a point, but when you look at the covers of the singles for BR&L he wasn't on it; which made it clear that even though he was contributing, Jive wasn't having that.

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Thu May-17-12 03:39 PM

13. "no disrespect"
In response to Reply # 12

but this post (not just you) is proving to me that people are writing their own legacy of ATCQ which ended after MM

its like nothing after MM exsisted

no other lps
group members

nothin

we dont want to remember our dying loved one sicj and weak so we chose to look at pictures of them in their younger years when they had a full head of hair

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

jaybennie
598 posts
Thu May-17-12 03:43 PM

15. "RE: no disrespect"
In response to Reply # 13

None taken, but I have to look at tribe the way they left the scene...a surprising mystery. Even the documentary didn't touch base of their legacy after MM. It just seem that not much is said in totality about the group during their latter years...and that is the fault of the members themselves.

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Thu May-17-12 03:48 PM

18. "in fairness to ATCQ tho"
In response to Reply # 15

dont u think they approached these later lps whole heartedly and tried to acheive the same success as before, life issues and growing apart non withstanding?

in hindsight we can talk about the infighting, Phife moving to Atlanta, the inclusion of Jay D and Quence etc..as excusses why the latter albums wernt as good but still

these are still ATCQ albums

had u asked the group at the time they made them how they feel about them they woulda said "something like we are makeing our best lp yet"

its only in hindsight when these albums didnt acheive critical or commercial sucess that the artists expresed regret

all in still these are ATCQ lps just as much of their legacy as the earlier lps and its a diservice to their hard work not to notate them

u dont have to like them but u cant exclude them

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

jaybennie
598 posts
Thu May-17-12 03:54 PM

19. "Read again..."
In response to Reply # 18

...I said i consider them tribe albums, just sparking an opposing thought.

I bought both of the albums the day they were released. I loved BR&L, and played the shit out of TLM; and both sold well, and had favourable reviews. I am not discussing tribe in hindsight, because a lot of people were dumbfounded by the drastic change of sound tribe went into for BR&L. Solid production, but it was a 180 for me, and i still loved it.

basslinewonder
Member since Oct 12th 2005
3523 posts
Thu May-31-12 03:01 PM

45. "yo, the :B always gets me. HAHA"
In response to Reply # 3

jaybennie
598 posts
Thu May-17-12 03:26 PM

6. "Everybody was on that buhloone mindstate mentality..."
In response to Reply # 0

...Too many chiefs in the mix

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Thu May-17-12 04:20 PM

20. "But nobody considers Dilla ATCQ either"
In response to Reply # 0

and he, as a member of the Ummah and a KEY contributor on their final two albums (not one....TWO!)..had more influence than Consequence ever did...

but he wasn't Tribe. He was a member of The Ummah.

Cons, as usual...sounds bitter as shit.

D

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu May-17-12 04:23 PM

21. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 20

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Thu May-17-12 04:27 PM

22. "theirs a diffrence tho"
In response to Reply # 20

Dilla was a member of the production team the Ummah

Cons was brought in to be a member of the group ATCQ

thats common knowledge thats why no one looks at Dilla like a member

if u wanna argue contributions to ATCQ tho then they both are important

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Fri May-18-12 12:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
30. "RE: Was he?"
In response to Reply # 22

>
>Cons was brought in to be a member of the group ATCQ
>

Source please.

I mean, yeah, he was there in the end sporadically.

But, I mean, was Billy Preston ever really a Beatle? Was Doug Yule ever really the creative force behind the Velvet Underground? Is anyone not named "Bill Bruford" ever going be considered the drummer of Yes?

Come on.

~Austin

"God is a concept by which we measure our pain."
— John Lennon
http://austintayeshus.blogspot.com
http://www.last.fm/user/Austintayeshus
http://twitter.com/Austintayeshus

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Thu May-17-12 04:53 PM

23. "I don't think it's up to fans to decide who's in the group or not"
In response to Reply # 0

Doesn't matter if Cons was on every single song they ever recorded and had the best verses every time and did all the beats. Doesn't matter what his or other member's contributions were.

Tribe is Tip, Phife, Ali.....and sometimes Jarobi, cuz that's what they said/say. *shrug*

And I don't dislike Consequence. He's alright.

And I don't deny the existence of BR&L since I eff with that album hard and wasn't upset with him being on the album.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Thu May-17-12 09:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
25. "^^"
In response to Reply # 23

-------------------------
“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B

Mageddon
Charter member
4018 posts
Thu May-17-12 09:42 PM

24. "I never saw Cons as a group member"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought it was a situation similar to Shortie No Mass on Buhloone, or Torture on Crazy Wisdom Masters/J. Beez Wit The Remedy.

Of course his presence was larger than both, but I always thought it was just a case of them featuring someone tight with the crew, and in this case, family. (no nepo)

But if he says he was formally brought into the group, then it is what it is. As far as the group's legacy is concerned, I don't think he's gonna get more than being viewed as a footnote.

This is probably what's bothering him.

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Thu May-17-12 09:53 PM

26. "maybe if the nigga hadda sounded better"
In response to Reply # 0

Jarobi didnt FUCK shit up.

-------------------------
“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18642 posts
Fri May-18-12 09:55 AM

32. "He rapped better than Phife on BRL"
In response to Reply # 26

Phife really fell off from MM to BRL.

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Fri May-18-12 01:00 PM

36. "they both were terrible so it really doesn't matter"
In response to Reply # 32

Tip beasted on that joint though.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Fri May-18-12 02:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
38. "that really should be a tip solo"
In response to Reply # 36

all tip solo songs are classic he was in a zone on that joint..if he drop a solo album with them songs it would have been seen as a classic and he would have gotten more respect as a mc.

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Sat May-19-12 03:23 PM

41. "extreme speculation"
In response to Reply # 38

how u gonna say the lp would be classic based on a few solo joints?

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Thu May-31-12 03:37 PM

46. "RE: extreme speculation"
In response to Reply # 41

>how u gonna say the lp would be classic based on a few solo
>joints?

it's not just the solo joints though. his overall performance was better than it had ever been. that was Tip at his highest point lyrically.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

muzuabo
Member since Dec 03rd 2009
2064 posts
Sat May-19-12 09:36 PM

43. "Agreed. Tip and Dilla were gelling sonically."
In response to Reply # 36

And I think it might have been time for the group to part ways at that point. Get A Hold off BR&L might be one of my all time favorite Tribe songs and one of my favorite Dilla beats. You could tell it was a meeting of two minds on that track. I view Consequence like I would a session musician on a jazz album.

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Thu May-17-12 10:50 PM

27. "At the end of the day Cons is still gonna be a Garbage Pail Kid"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu May-17-12 10:51 PM by micMajestic

He's not the authentic, just some novelty spinoff shit. I haven't heard one person lament his omission from the ATCQ documentary. It's not a personal knock either, it's just that the public doesn't look favorably upon that period in Tribe's career. I hope he understands that fact, and is at peace with it.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu May-17-12 10:58 PM

28. "Cons greatest claim to fame"
In response to Reply # 0

Is being the only rapper to be a member of a classic group with classic singles and albums and he himself not have a classic under his belt.

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Fri May-18-12 02:05 PM

39. "Um there's plenty of Wu-Tang members that fall into that catogory"
In response to Reply # 28

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat May-19-12 04:01 PM

42. "name one Wu member not on classic songs or albums"
In response to Reply # 39

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Fri May-18-12 12:32 AM

29. "Once Again, This Puts Q-Tip's Ego In Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah Concequence probably was mad that Phife Dawg was saying he thought Cons was brought into the group by Q-Tip to replace Kamaal or Phife but overall is like what he said I "was" a member of ATCQ and nobody seems to notice that.

Personally the fact that it wasn't pushed into the public eye as something worth mentioning over & over, it was like he was a featured guest rapper for one album and not an additional member who left when the next album came out; but I think that had something to do with Jive Records and Q-Tip wanting to get off that label and just didn't care about putting in more work on another album for Jive (which is why J-Dilla did half the production & pre-production work but hardly got any claim to fame on that album until after he himself made a name for himself).

Q-Tip claiming that him produced the first two ATCQ albums when we know damn well he didn't do all those beats on his own but since Ali will never speak out about it, it just leads to more speculations until someone else speaks on it.

I'm still a big fan of Q-Tip/Kamaal/The Abstract but he needs to but I don't think he realizes how his ego and his family business is so out there with questionable answers that the light that shines on him is not always good when other members like Phife, J-Dilla, & now Consequence speaks on dealings with him.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79621 posts
Fri May-18-12 10:02 AM

34. "RE: Once Again, This Puts Q-Tip's Ego In Question"
In response to Reply # 29

yeah... the doc made Q Tip look a little suspect IMO.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 04:17 PM

49. "please, the doc made Phife look like a child & Tip look grown & talented"
In response to Reply # 34

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Fri May-18-12 08:40 AM

31. "I'm a fan of B,R,&L and Cons doesnt ruin that shit at all for me"
In response to Reply # 0

It was weird how he was ALL OVER that album though and not a word on Love Movement...

Either way... I see his point of view, but the documentary makes a point to explain why Jarobi is a true "group member"

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79621 posts
Fri May-18-12 10:00 AM

33. "Tip, Phife, Ali..."
In response to Reply # 0

and Jarobi.

Consequence is late again as usual... I bet the "family business" line was used on him by the JB's.

mathmagic
Charter member
6078 posts
Fri May-18-12 10:39 AM

35. "I don't think it matters if he's considered to be in the group."
In response to Reply # 0

He is not (in the group. so what?). His contribution to their legacy, howevever, should not be overlooked in my opinion. he most certainly contributed. buy yall will argue and say he didn't.

Jordan!

Raytard
Member since Jun 06th 2005
1043 posts
Fri May-18-12 01:38 PM

37. "This is just the same shit as Rock bands"
In response to Reply # 0

Soundgarden had just broken up when Matt Cameron was called to drum for Pearl Jam. He was a member of Soundgarden and Pearl Jam declared him a band member.

This boils down to who owns the name of the group, because whoever owns it gets to decide who is currently in the group and who isn't. Like, The Roots is officially Quest & Thought. The other kats are in the band depending on their contracts and what Quest & Thought decide, but they aren't THE group. Jarobi, whether he did much or not is THE group with Tip, Phife, & Ali.

Consequence was a band member for an album. He was a Ben Kinney. Great stats for the Consequence discography & legacy...but not ATCQ R&R HOF speech status.

Matt Cameron might be the group now btw...I dunno. I haven't kept up with Pearl Jam post documentary.

http://revivalist.okayplayer.com/
www.jdillafoundation.org
www.twitter.com/Raydarellis

"Never go full Raytard."-Anfernee

andacagar
Charter member
3774 posts
Fri May-18-12 02:13 PM

40. "great argument."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not a big fan of Cons but he did contribute to 2 lps and I never considered Jarobi a member.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 04:17 PM

50. "one"
In response to Reply # 40

>I'm not a big fan of Cons but he did contribute to 2 lps and
>I never considered Jarobi a member.

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Sat May-19-12 10:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
44. "he should be...."
In response to Reply # 0

....but if i was him, i wouldn't WANT to be....just sayin you worked with the group alot is enough....most tribe fans didn't like most of his input and it would look bad on his end to try to use that involvement as a selling point when most tribe fans wished he's never shown up...AND HE KNOWS THIS....both jarobi and Cons deserve NO credit for the dopeness that is Tribe, but Cons contributed more than Jarobi ever did....

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

liveguy
Member since Jan 01st 2004
8002 posts
Thu May-31-12 04:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
47. "simple: because he isn't a actual member"
In response to Reply # 0

People will always defer to the original members on album 1.

Jarobi was shouted out again on album 3...

Of course people be like .....wtf does he do???

The original crew sees him as a member and think he was the embodiment of what Tribe was about, style wise.

Can't question the source.

BRL was ATCQ "featuring" Consequence

Was Cons even on TLM?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Love_Movement

Would make sense that he would actually be considered a member if he was on TLM as many songs as he was on BRL, but he wasn't.

He was on one album as a lookout from his cousin to get him signed, basically.

That's at least how it's perceived.

We see through all that boo boo like it's ghost shit... (c) Quelle Chris

| http://liveguy.bandcamp.com |
| www.soundcloud.com/liveguy |
| www.twitter.com/liveguy |
| www.instagram.com/theREALliveguy |
| XBOX ONE GT: theREALliveguy |

bski
Member since Jun 09th 2002
12115 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 04:10 PM

48. "Cons was on that Johnny Gill shit."
In response to Reply # 0

Was def an official member and was def talented but didn't gel with the sound of the group and fucked up the dynamic a little bit.

http://twitter.com/collazo
http://www.reverbnation.com/livesociety

judono
Member since Nov 11th 2004
4417 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 09:39 PM

51. "this is the best question posted in the Lesson in the past 5 years"
In response to Reply # 0

there is no reason. if jarobi is considered tribe, consequence should be considered tribe. period. end of story

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

icecold21
Member since Jan 18th 2008
8433 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 10:12 PM

52. "Is Cappa an official member of Wu? Dice an official member of the Roots?"
In response to Reply # 0

No.

They're on every album though. But they're not members of the group because they were never officially announced as members. Why or why not is pretty much irrelevant.

Just because a certain group fucks with you a lot and you're on a lot of their shit doesn't grant you membership in that group. You're either a member or you're not.

For Cons to say he should be a member of Tribe is ridiculous and outrageous, and he just sounds bitter and pathetic.

He couldn't make it with a boost from Tribe and failed again with help from Kanye. And it's because he's just not that good of a rapper to make it on his own.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2700106 Previous topic | Next topic