Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2692286

Subject: "Do you prefer the studio recording or the live version/rendition?" Previous topic | Next topic
beatnik
Member since Oct 24th 2004
2950 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 08:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Do you prefer the studio recording or the live version/rendition?"

and I am notorious for saying "fuck the archives" before I post so if this has been done before my apologies. . . not really.

Poll result (12 votes)
Recording (2 votes)Vote
Live (0 votes)Vote
depends on the genre (1 votes)Vote
depends on the song (6 votes)Vote
depends on the artist/s (3 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Do you prefer the studio recording or the live version/rendition?
Apr 29th 2012
depends on the artist because to me
Apr 29th 2012

MikeDinosaur
Member since Dec 26th 2011
66 posts
Sun Apr-29-12 12:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Do you prefer the studio recording or the live version/rendition?"
In response to Reply # 0

I voted artist but should've voted genre. Something like jazz where the compositions change every night, where different personnel might be there... I'm only really interested in one studio take--whichever one they decided to make the master--but I can listen to tons of different live nights of the same playlist, especially for someone like Miles who would totally transform a song over and over.

But most music I couldn't care less about a recording of a live performance. Like I wanna track down a bootleg just to hear Nas yell extra loud into the microphone for the audience? Or hear Radiohead play the song exactly the way it is on the album but with shittier acoustics?

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Apr-29-12 02:53 AM

2. "depends on the artist because to me "
In response to Reply # 0

some artists are better live, some are better in the studio, very seldom do i hear an artist who gets it right both ways.

Stevie Wonder is one of the few that adds more to an already great studio track and he will go musically in a whole different direction.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Lobby The Lesson topic #2692286 Previous topic | Next topic