Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2692113

Subject: "pop music, criticism, tumblr" Previous topic | Next topic
astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 02:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"pop music, criticism, tumblr"

I love it when hipsters without musical training or experience bitch about pop music, like “oh, it’s such talentless schmuck! How can anyone listen to that unoriginal bullshit, omg the masses are soooooo stupid!”

Without realizing that:

1. Being a successful pop musician, a la Britney Spears, has about the odds of winning the lottery. And it takes a hell of a lot of work.

2. All successful pop singers take music lessons. As in, singing lessons. As in, they probably know way more about singing and music and chord structure than you ever will. Particularly if you are the type of hipster that “rebels against learning music theory, because it’s more important to just feel the music, you know?”

3. Writing a number one pop hit? really fucking hard. Know why? because it’s not necessarily formulaic. Sure, you can complain about “omg all songs have the same 4 chords!” and how it’s all “mindless drivel,” but if that were true, EVERYBODY WOULD BE A POP STAR BECAUSE IT WOULD BE TOO EASY. In reality, writing a catchy song is just as hard (if not harder) than writing the newest “critically acclaimed” indie underground album. Particularly because, let’s face it, do you really think that the Decemberists or Neutral Milk Hotel actually use more chords than, say, the song “Genie in a Bottle”? Hint: Probably not.

4. Also, consider the fact that a lot of rap songs actually do a ton of cool sampling and innovative shit involving horns and classical instruments. Also consider the fact that you will probably never be able to hit a dog whistle type note like Mariah Carey.

5. In the end, bitching about how mindless and uncreative the music industry is, is just a sad attempt to criticize an industry is actually hugely competitive and fueled by what people like.

….And, as we all know YOU know from high school…it’s really hard being popular, isn’t it?

Maybe you should think about why you hate pop musicians and song writers.

…Is it because they’ve figured out how to get people to like them, and you’re attempting to be edgy by being racist, ignorant, and dismissive?

…but maybe I’m just over analyzing here.

http://lightspeedsound.tumblr.com/post/21958239391/i-love-it-when-hipsters-without-musical-training-or

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It's 2012...never been easier to ignore something you don't like.
Apr 28th 2012
that is very true
Apr 28th 2012
yep.
Apr 28th 2012
      not everyone is online like that tho
Apr 28th 2012
*Post Over*
Apr 28th 2012
<end post>
Apr 28th 2012
pop music still garbage tho
Apr 28th 2012
nothing wrong with Pop music and the folks having legit
Apr 28th 2012
why do they have to be hipsters? the word is thrown around alot in 2012
Apr 28th 2012
It takes a smart person to know how to be dumb...
Apr 28th 2012
btw, just bc something takes skill or talent dont mean its good
Apr 28th 2012
by the way not my tumblr!!!
Apr 28th 2012
But let's keep in mind "top 40" radio only plays about 20 songs
Apr 28th 2012
Sorry but I understand the hate towards pop-music.
Apr 28th 2012
There are parts of the country where it's hard to avoid...
Apr 29th 2012

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 03:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It's 2012...never been easier to ignore something you don't like."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't get how grown folks talk about "Man, I wish Beiber would get hit with an 18 wheeler!!!!!"

Really? Outside of work or the club, you don't have to listen to anything you don't like. Ever. Don't like the radio? Get an ipod. Don't like TV? Get netflix, or read a damn book.

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132212 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 10:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "that is very true"
In response to Reply # 1

I was ignoring the stuff I didn't really care for in 1997 and there was barely an Internet (for consumers) compared to today. now? with Youtube and blogs? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit.

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 12:16 PM

6. "yep."
In response to Reply # 2

>I was ignoring the stuff I didn't really care for in 1997 and
>there was barely an Internet (for consumers) compared to
>today. now? with Youtube and blogs? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit.

Before The Man messed up Youtube, I used to set my playlist and let it run while I did other shit around the house. It was perfect.

There's NO excuse for thinking there's no good music to be found in 2012. you LITERALLY have the world at your fingertips nowadays.

http://www.windimoto.com

http://ten2one.wordpress.com/ <-FEB

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 01:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "not everyone is online like that tho"
In response to Reply # 6

and most ppl who are arent digging for music

lots off ppl just turn on the radio when they want to hear music

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 12:13 PM

5. "*Post Over*"
In response to Reply # 1

>Really? Outside of work or the club, you don't have to listen
>to anything you don't like. Ever. Don't like the radio? Get an
>ipod. Don't like TV? Get netflix, or read a damn book.
>
>

I mean, when people talk about how awful the new "so-and-so" is. I just shrug. Why? Because I probably haven't heard it. I simply don't tune into shit I don't dig, and there's no point in doing it just to complain about it.

Like somebody else said, with internet radio and all that kinda shit, you can listen to whatever you like, whenever you want to.

http://www.windimoto.com

http://ten2one.wordpress.com/ <-FEB

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

smooth va
Member since May 02nd 2005
6059 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 11:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "<end post>"
In response to Reply # 0

"This is dedicated to whom it may concern."-Donny Hathaway

philpot
21673 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 12:07 PM

4. "pop music still garbage tho"
In response to Reply # 0

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 01:13 PM

7. "nothing wrong with Pop music and the folks having legit"
In response to Reply # 0

careers with it ain't complaining. problem with today is that there is too many outlets and also its shoved down your throat and no matter how hype a turkey plays on tv, they are still peeping sideeyed at what is happening beleive that.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

nativesun07
Member since Mar 28th 2004
3620 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 02:11 PM

9. "why do they have to be hipsters? the word is thrown around alot in 2012"
In response to Reply # 0

alot of people diss pop music as talentless mess without not knowing how much talent is actually involded

I should put that in a song

@nategoodness
www.nategoodness.com

The avatar is old. And, no, that hat was not a groovy style back then, either.

Alphabet
Member since Jun 28th 2003
4402 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 02:25 PM

10. "It takes a smart person to know how to be dumb..."
In response to Reply # 0

Thats how I always looked at Pop Music...Its alot of Pop artist that not only extremely musically gifted and talented, but just like already stated have the technical ability also (knows how to read, understands music theory..ect).

But alot of these artist know and understand how to make art digestible for a wide audience. Alot of people overlook that skill.

Not EVERY artist in Pop are 'got lucky-sellout-no-talent-hacks", there are some, but they usually fizzle out in the end.

#PicABeat Audio Photo series. Where the beat is inspired by the photo.
http://soundcloud.com/KingAkai

http://kingakai.com

“I love these bitches, man. I really do.”
- Andre 3000

philpot
21673 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 02:33 PM

11. "btw, just bc something takes skill or talent dont mean its good"
In response to Reply # 0

at all

tons of horrible shit takes skill and talent to do

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 03:19 PM

12. "by the way not my tumblr!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

i just wanted to see the lessons reaction to this, so far i've been surprised, but after these play off games i'll be back to throw a lil' wrench in the prevailing sentiment thus far

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 06:16 PM

13. "But let's keep in mind "top 40" radio only plays about 20 songs"
In response to Reply # 0

Plus the fact that Clear Channel and most of the major record companies have a stranglehold on everything that's played. Not to mention that although not everyone can become a pop star, but the ppl who do become one don't necessarily get there on talent. Most don't write their songs, don't produce their songs, don't pick who produces or writes their songs and are overly produced. It's like you said a lottery. Heck, most already have some kind of connection to the industry (Family, friends, related entertainment career) or are taken under the wing of a mentor.

Is there a set formula for making a #1 hit? Of course not, but doesn't mean record companies don't develop formulas that they throw at listeners until it stops sticking. Radio now has the least range it's ever had.

I don't hate on pop music overall but to say that most of the music on the radio is quality music that very talented ppl worked on is not anywhere close to true.

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 08:06 PM

14. "Sorry but I understand the hate towards pop-music."
In response to Reply # 0

Yes, it's absolutely right that it takes talent to mak a hit but there's a shitload of things that takes talent to make, including stuff that rarely get any attention whatsoever from mainstream outlets and that's where the problem lie.

Basically, for some reason I never fully understood, people want *their* favorite art to get mainstream recognition.

It could be the indie-snob who's pissed off that his favourite music doesn't get the attention on radio or MTv they deserve in his opinion (Why are they not listening to my favorite band? They must be brainwashed sheep).

It could be the pop-fan who's pissed off that music-critics don't give the credit she thinks her favorite music desreve (They only like No-Groove noise-music. Wh ydon't they give it up for Bruno Mars?)

It could be the pop-fan who thinks the songwriting of contemporary pop is inferior to that of the past (It's just beats! Where is the accomplished melody?)

It could be the R&B fan who wants his/her art recognized by the Rock'n'roll hall of fame...

And so on. Every quarter has their complaints and in the context of music-nerds who are record-collectors and listen to "weird" music that people in the mainstream has overlooked for like 40 years, the pop-music is the easy target. I'm *not* saying it's a smart or rational reaction but it's a *natural* reaction and quite obvious IMO...

MikeDinosaur
Member since Dec 26th 2011
66 posts
Sun Apr-29-12 01:02 AM

15. "There are parts of the country where it's hard to avoid..."
In response to Reply # 0

Brooklyn, for instance, in Bushwick just hearing people blasting the radio out of their cars, or on the street whenever it's more than seventy degrees outside, you'll hear all the top forty songs a few dozen times before they fall off. And if you work in retail you'll probably hear them a few hundred times, at which point Katy Perry's jeans/dreams rhyme or the oontz-oontz-oontz behind Drake REALLY MIGHT MAKE YOU INSANE. I mean I liked all the adele singles and I can hardly stand to hear her voice at this point.

But yeah, some people go out of their way to make themselves miserable. And just writing off pop as a whole, fuck off. But is that even a hipsterry thing at this point? If pitchfork is the bell weather they were going bonkers over Carter III and Take Care. They love Rihanna. Most of the people I know who "hate pop" are premature codgers who haven't heard the radio in months, and when they did a lot of them liked "Bad Romance".

Lobby The Lesson topic #2692113 Previous topic | Next topic