Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2691854

Subject: "5 Reasons New Edition Should Be in The Rock&Roll Hall of Fame (Murph..." Previous topic | Next topic
murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 12:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"5 Reasons New Edition Should Be in The Rock&Roll Hall of Fame (Murph..."
Fri Apr-27-12 12:37 PM by murph71

Check it out....I know for a lot of folks the Hall is some bullshit (the constant snubs) and that it goes against the spirit of rock and roll...But I think New Edition has a strong case..Inspired by a N.E. show I saw at the Garden a few days ago...Enjoy...and tell me what u think...
---------

5 Reasons New Edition Should Be In The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

You want a debate-sparking statement? Here it is: New Edition is worthy of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And it took a New York stop during the immutable R&B group’s current concert tour this past Saturday (April 21st) to drive home that point. Yes, the over 5600 faithful fans who packed the Theater at Madison Square Garden have no doubt seen crisper and more energetic gigs from the veteran Boston act of Ronnie DeVoe, Bobby Brown, Ricky Bell, Michael Bivins, Ralph Tresvant, and Johnny Gill. During New Edition’s 80’s prime they could effortlessly headline sold-out arena shows drawing more than 20,000 screaming fans on a nightly basis. And New Edition hasn’t enjoyed an across-the-board hit album since 1996’s critically acclaimed comeback set Home Again.

Yet on this evening, there was an enthusiastic, heartfelt crowd seemingly cheering and hanging on every note, choreographed step, laugh and knowing wink of six middle-aged men that refused to cheat their fans. The proverbial “left-it-all-out-on-the-floor” cliché certainly applied during New Edition’s spirited two-hour performance. “How many of y’all been rocking with New Edition for 29 years?!!!” exclaims DeVoe. The response from fans was deafening. Perhaps the crowd understood the immense musical and cultural impact of a vocal group that has influenced three generations of performers in the realms of soul, pop, and hip-hop. It was all there on display during the roll-out to New Edition’s 30th anniversary next year.

Axl Rose may have denied the chance for the public to witness the much anticipated reunion of the original lineup of ballsy rock rebels Guns N’ Roses—who led the 2012 April class that included the Beastie Boys and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. And we can rant on and on about how Rush, Donna Summers, Chic, Duran Duran, Janet Jackson, and LL Cool J are among the notable snubs that scream induction. But with nearly 30 years in the business, New Edition is more than a legacy of double platinum albums, solo acclaim and a legion of imitators and followers. N.E.’s time-traveling gig offered all the proof needed that this criminally underrated act deserves a seat next to the likes of the Jackson 5, Temptations, and the O’Jays. And here’s why.—Keith Murphy

Link: http://www.vibe.com/photo-galleries/5-reasons-new-edition-should-be-rock-and-roll-hall-fame-137624

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
5 Reasons New Edition Should Be in The Rock&Roll Hall of Fame (Murph...
Apr 27th 2012
Amen for Murph. Yep. Couldn't agree more.. when you look at
Apr 27th 2012
i ain't even got to read this.
Apr 27th 2012
They have about as much chance of getting in there as NKOTB...
Apr 27th 2012
To be fair he did say 'deserves to be' didn't say 'they would be' lol
Apr 27th 2012
i agree.
Apr 27th 2012
POST JACK: Can we stop giving a fuck about R&R HoF
Apr 27th 2012
Might be the best response.
Apr 27th 2012
that too.
Apr 27th 2012
^^^what HE said^^^
Apr 28th 2012
say it again.
Apr 28th 2012
Good points and write up but....
Apr 27th 2012
as Usual Murph ignores the points i made long ago
Apr 28th 2012
RE: 5 Reasons New Edition Should Be in The Rock&Roll Hall of Fame (M...
Apr 28th 2012
RE: 5 Reasons New Edition Should Be in The Rock&Roll Hall of Fame (M...
Apr 28th 2012
i never realized how important new edition was.
Apr 28th 2012

murph71
23113 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 12:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "5 Reasons New Edition Should Be in The Rock&Roll Hall of Fame (Murph..."
In response to Reply # 0

5. New Edition Is The Most Important Singing Act Of The Rap Era

There has to be one vocal group representing the hip-hop age in the Rock Hall, so why not New Edition? During their Garden show it became overwhelmingly apparent just how much rap shaped the group’s sound, attitude and look. As they earnestly rhymed the pubescent lines to their debut 1983 single “Candy Girl,” it was a sobering reminder that during those days hip-hop still was still viewed as a fad. Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5’s landmark statement “The Message” had not even been on the shelf for more than a year. Most of New Edition’s up-tempo material included some reference to rap. And let’s be real. Were that any other R&B acts more hip-hop than Bobby Brown and the trio of Bell Biv DeVoe during their Gumby-rocking, starter jacket, fitted cap wearing, pants sagging runs? Nope.

--

4. Longevity Counts

Sure there were middle-age women shamelessly waving signs that read “Team Tresvant” and wearing Candy Girl-stitched T-shirts. But there was also a large influx of 30 and 20-somethings as well as a few kids not even old enough to go to an R-rated flick by themselves. New Edition’s legacy runs deep. A near 30-year career is not easy to come by these days. Whether by retirement, untimely death or mutually agreed break-ups, rarely do we see a successful music act boast their full lineup. For a unit that has had a top 10 Billboard pop and R&B chart presence during three different decades, that alone is praise-worthy.
--

3. Bobby Brown Is A True Rock Star

“They call me a lot of shit…but I only go by the name of bad ass Bobby Brown!” And with that, the most controversial member of New Edition displayed as much I-could-care-fucking-less swagger as Hall of Famer Mick Jagger. Brown got the biggest response of the night when he performed his post N.E. hits “My Prerogative” and “Roni.” He shook off a mountain of charisma—suggestively sticking out his tongue, cocking his black Fedora hat and dropping such laugh-inducing lines as, “I keep thinking about the time the group kicked me out the group.” And there were also moments of humility as the turbulent Brown thanked fans for their prayers following the untimely death of ex-wife and best-selling pop diva Whitney Houston. “I’m celebrating seven years being off narcotics,” he proclaimed. Who knows if the redemption of Bobby Brown will last? We all just want to see a happy ending, even for the resident bad boy.

2. They Proved There’s Life After Boy Bands

Outside of the Beatles (no, really), there hasn’t been another music group that has enjoyed the soaring levels of solo stardom than the alumni of New Edition. It started with the abrupt departure of Brown in early 1986. Following the pedestrian reception of his debut lone wolf project King of Stage, Bobby was catapulted to world-beating status as his landmark follow up Don’t Be Cruel moved over seven million copies, an astounding crossover for a hardcore R&B performer who symbolized the New Jack Swing era. Johnny Gill, the gruff, church-tailored prodigy picked to replace Brown, went double platinum on his self-titled 1990 set and found similar chart acclaim as a member of the super group LSG in 1997. N.E. lead vocalist Ralph Tresvant produced his own self-titled platinum 1990 triumph. And BBD perhaps pulled off the most unlikely coup in music folklore (remember, Bell, Bivins and DeVoe were often regulated to third-billing status in New Edition), pushing more than four million albums of their game-changing 1990 debut Poison. Meanwhile, N’Sync (see entry no. 1) is still waiting for anyone other than Justin Timberlake to go wood. We see you Lance Bass.

---

So what's the no. 1 reason why N.E. should be in the Hall? Check it out...

http://www.vibe.com/photo-galleries/5-reasons-new-edition-should-be-rock-and-roll-hall-fame-137624

Artful Dodger
Member since Nov 20th 2009
8361 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 02:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Amen for Murph. Yep. Couldn't agree more.. when you look at "
In response to Reply # 1

the impact they had as a group of young boys
then as grown men
then as solo acts...

I mean...

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 12:58 PM

2. "i ain't even got to read this."
In response to Reply # 0

HELL YEAH they should be in there. eventually.

fuck you.

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 02:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "They have about as much chance of getting in there as NKOTB..."
In response to Reply # 0

...or, in a couple of years, Backstreet Boys. Since neither Bay City Rollers or the Osmonds are in yet, I find it unlikely...

I'm personally not necessarily comparing NE to those acts, just being realistic... Do you really think the jury-whoever they are-see much difference?

Artful Dodger
8361 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 02:48 PM

6. "To be fair he did say 'deserves to be' didn't say 'they would be' lol"
In response to Reply # 4

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 04:12 PM

9. "i agree."
In response to Reply # 4

J5 got in b/c they were on Motown and had MJ in the group.

but i can't see another boy band getting in. unless it's like Frankie Avalon & the Teenagers (and they may already be in) or some other major group from that era.

no way the rockists will honor an R&B boy band from the 80s.

fuck you.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 02:44 PM

5. "POST JACK: Can we stop giving a fuck about R&R HoF"
In response to Reply # 0

for non R&R artists? PLEASE!!!

Oh I know I know R&R = pop. Yeah fuck that shit. We're better than that.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Artful Dodger
8361 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 02:48 PM

7. "Might be the best response. "
In response to Reply # 5

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 04:12 PM

10. "that too."
In response to Reply # 5

fuck you.

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 11:20 AM

14. "^^^what HE said^^^"
In response to Reply # 5

http://www.windimoto.com

http://ten2one.wordpress.com/ <-FEB

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 02:19 PM

16. "say it again. "
In response to Reply # 5

revolution75
Member since May 07th 2003
3372 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 03:04 PM

8. "Good points and write up but...."
In response to Reply # 0

Like said above WE really should stop caring about the RRHOF
It's not for US
I live in Cle and know the folks who run it
Don't even get me started on the minimal representation of US that works there
If KISS ain't seeing that place, theres no way in hell that NE will!
Sad but true

I understand the need for recognizability
What needs to be done is a SOUL/R&B hall of fame for US by US
When will THAT happen??

Eclectic Soul/Sunday, 2-4 PM est/89.3 WCSB.ORG

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 01:14 AM

11. "as Usual Murph ignores the points i made long ago"
In response to Reply # 0

i been said that about New Editon where you been? i already said that out of all the 80's R&B Pop acts that these cats are still frsher.

i can't think of another successful R&B act from the 80's that i still feel like time hasn't past them by. I mean these cats just need a modern album to represent and put it all together post 88.

however they are the Black SNL for real. all the members hit in some form for fashion.

they never went out of style and while Boyz 11Men, Silk and Jodeci are like footnotes and there time has come and gone or you still waiting on a follow up, New Edition never went away and still hold it down.

i always been down with New edition and always will. those are the baddest post J5 Young R&B Group since IMO.

the rock and roll hall of fame is some tired white folks picking Negroes they feel are acceptable and play ball. it is racist and narrow minded for the most part and "they Don't Care about Us" @Michael Joe Jackson

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 10:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "RE: 5 Reasons New Edition Should Be in The Rock&amp;Roll Hall of Fame (M..."
In response to Reply # 0

Next time you know NE is on tour in NY and you say nothing we got beef!

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

murph71
23113 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 10:31 AM

13. "RE: 5 Reasons New Edition Should Be in The Rock&amp;Roll Hall of Fame (M..."
In response to Reply # 12

>Next time you know NE is on tour in NY and you say nothing we
>got beef!

Dog....lol....I got u....Happy B-Day, btw...where's the party?

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 02:17 PM

15. "i never realized how important new edition was. "
In response to Reply # 0

i reconsider a lot of things as i was reading that.

i just wish people didn't used try to compare them to the jackson five.
i think the hype turned me off from the group.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2691854 Previous topic | Next topic