Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2691722

Subject: "Why didn't Dre keep The Recipe for Detox? " Previous topic | Next topic
mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 03:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Why didn't Dre keep The Recipe for Detox? "

I went from really liking to really loving this song in a few days. Dre has as many verses on here as Kendrick here. It certainly sounds like it was written for Detox. It's the best song he's been associated with in years.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I think the song would've got a better response if it was for...
Apr 27th 2012
Because Detox doesn't exist.
Apr 27th 2012
^^ the only correct answer
Apr 27th 2012
TH' FUCK IS GOING ON IN YOUR AVY, FAM
Apr 27th 2012
      lol
Apr 28th 2012
Well it does but just isn't ever come out
Apr 27th 2012
      Which, to me, says it doesn't exist...
Apr 27th 2012
      if thats true, it all makes sense
Apr 28th 2012
the way they flipped that Twin Sister samp ...
Apr 27th 2012
you can still hear the drums...
Apr 27th 2012
My favorite song of Dre's in recent times. "Topless" as a close second.
Apr 27th 2012
Topless a very close 2nd.
Apr 27th 2012
      RE: Topless a very close 2nd.
Apr 27th 2012
           Well there's my mistake...
Apr 27th 2012
                I don't know who did "Topless" but I always thought it was Dre
Apr 27th 2012
                     dj khalil
Apr 28th 2012
It would have been a good direction to go in..
Apr 27th 2012
cause he scared its too street...too good not pop enough
Apr 27th 2012
from what i've heard, detox is completely scrapped
Apr 27th 2012
i think it's a matter of expectation attached to an album
Apr 27th 2012
But the part I don't get is that he hasn't produced ANY of
Apr 27th 2012
      that's a valid point.
Apr 27th 2012
           Well to be fair I think Dre very much is producing every track
Apr 27th 2012
it ain't a money track
Apr 28th 2012
Because detox is not gonna happen, I thought if it was he would
Apr 28th 2012
Funny thing is, I always got the impression it was more Em + 50
Apr 28th 2012
let it go
Apr 28th 2012

Crash85
Member since May 08th 2007
7288 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 04:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I think the song would've got a better response if it was for..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-27-12 04:23 AM by Crash85

Detox...

A lot of negative criticism I read towards that song is that it "sounds" more like a Dre song than a Kendrick song... I think people would've been hyped if this was the new Detox single... They would've already had a video done and it would probably be a much bigger song by now...

But with that being said, I think the reason it's not on Detox and it's Kendrick's song is because 1) it's a dope song, 2) Keeps Kendrick's buzz high w/o over saturating the market, 3) Dre doesn't overshadow Kendrick because it's Kendrick's song and 4) Dre isn't focused on Detox right now (if that wasn't obvious)...

I think it was a great move to make this Kendrick's "street" single or "buzz" song, whatever people want to call it... Dope beat, he's spittin, and he won't have to hear, "we gonna hear you and Dre on a track together" questions... He'll release another single before the album comes out and it will probably be even better than The Recipe...

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 07:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Because Detox doesn't exist."
In response to Reply # 0

Seriously.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

rjc27
Charter member
14602 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 08:57 AM

4. "^^ the only correct answer "
In response to Reply # 2

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 08:40 PM

16. "TH' FUCK IS GOING ON IN YOUR AVY, FAM"
In response to Reply # 4

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 11:18 AM

22. "lol"
In response to Reply # 16

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 09:02 AM

5. "Well it does but just isn't ever come out"
In response to Reply # 2

KL will at least release something, plus if Dre releases work feat him on other ppl's stuff it might build up a little bit more excited anticipation from fans than the stuff that has come out so far. I've heard many times that Dre scours the internet insecurely listening to everything everyone says so I assume he knows a lot ppl will think it'll suck no matter he releases.

Brew
24419 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 09:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Which, to me, says it doesn't exist..."
In response to Reply # 5

>Well it does but just isn't ever come out

But I know what you're saying.

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 01:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
21. "if thats true, it all makes sense"
In response to Reply # 5

nm

-------------------------
The other dude after me didnt help my case. It was just likecrazy nigga factory going on.
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. I was young, and searching, trying to find myself, he says. Never did.-- Andre B

QBoogie
Member since Jun 05th 2002
5885 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 08:52 AM

3. "the way they flipped that Twin Sister samp ..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-27-12 08:52 AM by QBoogie

... is crazy! I say that b/c how did they take the OG drums out?

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 09:04 AM

6. "you can still hear the drums..."
In response to Reply # 3

he just took most of the lows out of the sample and put his own strong drums over it so they don't dominate.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j51hj4.jpg

cidolfas
Member since Nov 29th 2006
2247 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 09:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "My favorite song of Dre's in recent times. "Topless" as a close second."
In response to Reply # 0

Brew
24419 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 09:48 AM

9. "Topless a very close 2nd."
In response to Reply # 8

That was the time to drop the album. Those tracks that kept leaking around that time were FIRE.

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 09:51 AM

10. "RE: Topless a very close 2nd."
In response to Reply # 9

i enjoy these dre rapping on and mixing other producers' beats as much as anyone, but i would be sorely disappointed if he didn't at least coproduce the beats on 'detox,' so i can't really agree with you that the khalil demo era was that moment even while i rejoice in that neither was the alex da kid era

Brew
24419 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 10:02 AM

12. "Well there's my mistake..."
In response to Reply # 10

I thought Topless and those other tracks were Dre beats.

Honestly if he doesn't produce Detox (that is, if he ever releases it) I won't even listen. What is the point of releasing a "solo" album where you neither write your rhymes nor produce your beats?

zuma1986
9085 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 10:32 PM

18. "I don't know who did "Topless" but I always thought it was Dre"
In response to Reply # 12

It was a leak, don't know if the actual producer was ever known but everything I ever saw said it was a Dre production. Every other song was credited to someone else except "Under Pressure" which has Dre as the co-producer

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 01:12 PM

26. "dj khalil"
In response to Reply # 18

who also produced "kush," which dre mixed

Alphabet
Member since Jun 28th 2003
4402 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 09:55 AM

11. "It would have been a good direction to go in.."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-27-12 09:56 AM by Alphabet

Since the story was Dre kept scrapping it because he didnt like the path and the sound each time he started working on it.

The Recipe would have been what a Dr. Dre album in 2012 needed to sound like. Thats a good track to build on...

I just seen a video clip on youtube of Snoop, D.O.C., Quik, Battlecat and a gang of othe west coast producers locked in a studio banging out tracks for Detox (maybe a little over a year ago?), and at least for the stuff they show on that video, the beats where dope, but they all were sounding like some updated versions Chronic 2001 type shit, with that same type of tempo and swing.

Even with all that legendary talent in the room, I dont think Dre would want to go in that direction. I would imagine he was/is looking for an entirely different sound that what hes already done.

I could be wrong cuz I know nobody knows Dre musically like Snoop and D.O.C., but he did fall out with them at one point too over creative differences.

#PicABeat Audio Photo series. Where the beat is inspired by the photo.
http://soundcloud.com/KingAkai

http://kingakai.com

“I love these bitches, man. I really do.”
- Andre 3000

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 10:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "cause he scared its too street...too good not pop enough"
In response to Reply # 0

from the sounds of the stuff that leaks he wants to go POP as hell and try to be totally different from his past stuff but the shit wasn't hitting

so he doesn't know what to do...HE still knows how to make good music but can't make "groundbreaking" music anymore.

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

homeslice21
Member since Nov 17th 2002
6837 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 02:44 PM

14. "from what i've heard, detox is completely scrapped"
In response to Reply # 0

like Dre isn't even planning on doing it anymore. Of course, that could completely change, but that's what I've heard.

forgivenphoenix
Member since Dec 08th 2007
2514 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 08:22 PM

15. "i think it's a matter of expectation attached to an album "
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-27-12 08:23 PM by forgivenphoenix

with The Recipe on it.

For an artist without any mainstream impression, like Kendrick, I think the song would be a good omen. you might want to check out more from Kendrick, if The Recipe was the first song someone heard from Kendrick Lamar.

But if this were released by Dre in the hopes of teasing interest for Detox, you might think; Dre sounds nice and the beat is nice, but it's not Still DRE, or G-Thang, or Let Me Ride, so it wouldn't really whet your appetite as much.

Dre's biggest obstacle to Detox not being a success is ironically Dre's past killer catalog of hit singles. Because if he doesn't have two or three big 'money' (c) mistermaxx singles on there, the project is gonna come off as another Dr. Dre Presents the Aftermath. (an album that i kinda liked the singles from.)

i don't get the sense that Dre doesn't have quality beats for Detox, he just doesn't have those genre-defining beats relative to what's hot in today's climate. i think he has to compete with his own concept of a 'better' album than 2001 or The Chronic. it might be his undoing because the fact that he captured lightening in a bottle for the first Chronic is amazing, the fact he did it a second time is legendary. the likelihood of him seeking to do it a third time is a recipe for treading into Sly Stone or Axl Rose fine-tuning territory.

at this point the album CAN'T live up to the hype that is attached to the album.

http://www.twitter.com/chriscjamison/

People who don't take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.

Peter Drucker

zuma1986
9085 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 09:49 PM

17. "But the part I don't get is that he hasn't produced ANY of"
In response to Reply # 15

the beats for the singles that have been released so far. Alex Da Kid did "I Need A Doctor" and DJ Khalil did "Kush". As far as leaks I don't know if he did "Topless" but I think I remember Scott Storch doing "Under Pressure". But eitherway if he's outsourcing all his beats, getting ghostwriters and obviously has an unlimited budget (I'm guessing it's the most expensive hip hop album eve if not close to Chinese Democracy), why isn't he able to manufacture a good or great album? I mean if he's releasing those songs as singles he's definitely not going for cutting edge like the previous albums lol

forgivenphoenix
Member since Dec 08th 2007
2514 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 10:39 PM

19. "that's a valid point."
In response to Reply # 17

i mean you could argue that he may be finally giving in on giving credit to other producers who 'produced most of the song' and let Dre put on his sprinkes as he calls them.

but for someone so innovative and at the forefront musically making beats like Dre, it is disappointing slightly that Dre isn't doing the work himself.

as much as I think he COULD make a quality album, maybe he's just out of ideas? or at least at a point where his ideas aren't up to his own standard.

http://www.twitter.com/chriscjamison/

People who don't take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.

Peter Drucker

zuma1986
9085 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 11:03 PM

20. "Well to be fair I think Dre very much is producing every track"
In response to Reply # 19

that he says he does. Just b/c hip hop has perverted the word producer to mean beatmaker doesn't mean that Dre is any less of a producer. Yes it's probably true, he's giving ppl more credit now but I doubt he's walking in on a finished product and just tweeking a few knobs.

As for him out of ideas or just not up to par, that makes sense but really if he's realised that why doesn't he just throw in the towel? Is it that Em, Snoop and ppl at his label keep pushing him or is it he thinks that eventually it'll come to him if he keeps working at it? (I don't expect anyone to know this answer lol)

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 11:47 AM

23. "it ain't a money track"
In response to Reply # 0

its cool and could hit, but is it because of the name who appears on the track or it sounds good enough for radio play? however it ain't that i'm back type of Dre track ya know what i mean?

not enough hype to warrant that type of feel IMO.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

las raises
Member since Aug 31st 2002
14982 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 12:08 PM

24. "Because detox is not gonna happen, I thought if it was he would"
In response to Reply # 0

Have mentioned it at coachella but he said nothing about detox and what bigger stage to say it or better time then there?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

cidolfas
Member since Nov 29th 2006
2247 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 12:30 PM

25. "Funny thing is, I always got the impression it was more Em + 50"
In response to Reply # 24

+ maybe Snoop pushing for Detox more than Dre wanting to get back in there and release another album.

Boximus Crime
Member since Jun 27th 2007
457 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 02:32 PM

27. "let it go"
In response to Reply # 0

Stop holding onto candles for this shit.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2691722 Previous topic | Next topic