Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2691605

Subject: "which era do you think would have been tight for a Michael Jackson liv..." Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Apr-26-12 08:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"which era do you think would have been tight for a Michael Jackson liv..."

now the Jacksons Live album is real good and the Jackson five live in Japan was tight and also the live one in LA, however just talking MJ as a Adult Artist which era of a Live Album would have been the one for you to have and why?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: which era do you think would have been tight for a Michael Jackson...
Apr 27th 2012
true lol
Apr 27th 2012
The Victory tour was horrible - Triumph or Destiny is clearly the winner
Apr 27th 2012
      +1 for Triumph...
Apr 27th 2012
      YES
Apr 27th 2012
solo years, it would be Bad or Dangerous
Apr 27th 2012

Osyrus
Member since Feb 28th 2006
285 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 07:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: which era do you think would have been tight for a Michael Jackson..."
In response to Reply # 0

The Victory tour. I know it was "officially" a Jacksons tour, but we all know everyone was going to see michael.

jaywonder
Member since Jun 05th 2007
8431 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 07:18 AM

3. "true lol"
In response to Reply # 1

the media was even calling it The Michael Jackson Tour

I'd love to see the Victory tour get a release but a live album? It would be my third or fourth choice

jaywonder.tumblr.com

Artful Dodger
Member since Nov 20th 2009
8361 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 10:27 AM

4. "The Victory tour was horrible - Triumph or Destiny is clearly the winner"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri Apr-27-12 10:32 AM by Artful Dodger

Triumph during the Off The Wall era?

You kidding?

Whew....

Victory tour was over the top.. the set up around the stage was bigger than the stage (like who designed this?)...
the sound was suppossedly the best money could buy..

yet it was muddy as hell...

Triumph wins cause it was still the Mj we knew and loved
it contained everything up to that point including Destiny..
OFF the WALL live? Man... then there were other classics that got proper time not medley time like

Show You The Way To Go
Shake Your Body Down To The Ground
Blame It On The Boogie
Off the Wall
Working Day And Night
Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
Rock With You

that's a bangin ass concert with just those songs! lol
etc...

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 06:15 PM

5. "+1 for Triumph..."
In response to Reply # 4

>Triumph during the Off The Wall era?
>
>You kidding?
>
>Whew....
>
>Victory tour was over the top.. the set up around the stage
>was bigger than the stage (like who designed this?)...
>the sound was suppossedly the best money could buy..
>
>yet it was muddy as hell...
>
>Triumph wins cause it was still the Mj we knew and loved
>it contained everything up to that point including Destiny..
>OFF the WALL live? Man... then there were other classics that
>got proper time not medley time like
>
>Show You The Way To Go
>Shake Your Body Down To The Ground
>Blame It On The Boogie
>Off the Wall
>Working Day And Night
>Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
>Rock With You
>
>that's a bangin ass concert with just those songs! lol
>etc...
>

I have been in Michael Jackson/Jackson 5/Jacksons study the last week or so.

Victory is growing on me in spots, but I'm still pretty much thinking that is like half a jamming album, half a 'c'mon now'. Clearly the bottom fell out of it once something went wrong and Mike was nowhere to be found on the album.

Triumph on the other hand is absurdly jamming. And it is basically Mike beta testing for Thriller and topping off the tank on Off The Wall's excellence.

So..that 1981 show would be Off the wall cuts, Triumph, Dancing Machine, All I Do is think about you, etc, etc. And yes...I operate in a world where Off the Wall > Thriller. It wasn't that way for me in 85 as I listened to Thriller constantly and watched the videos. I remember wearing out that whole album to the point that I prolly ruined it for my parents. It wasn't even that way for me in 95, but I was beginning to see the merits of the OtW>Thriller argument. By 2005, I was ready to slap someone who didn't agree that OtW>Thriller. Now, I'll stand stand firm in my belief while even showing proper respect to Thriller, which is somehow an underloved album nowadays because cats can't stand to like anything that a lot of people like or liked.

Side note: the TSOP album, the Jacksons...what is the opinion on that album? Listening back, I hear it as the type of album that would get killed today. Mike's delivery throughout that album is so O'Jays/Teddy P karaoke that its not even funny. Still...I like a lot of it. Style of Life, Dreamer, etc, etc...it gives up a LOT of how Mike was struggling with everything. And I like it.

Jimaveli

jaywonder
8431 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 06:15 PM

6. "YES"
In response to Reply # 4

Those were the 2 best tours of the Jacksons era. Victory looked like it was blown out of purportion

The Destiny and Triumph Tours were top notch. The Destiny Tour setlist? WOW the last time actual Motown era songs aside from the usual medley was done:
Get It Together
Dancing Machine
I Am Love (Marlon singing lead)
Daddy's Home (Randy singing lead)
Sugar Daddy
I Wanna Be Where You Are

and stuff they didn't perform for Triumph or Victory
Show You The Way To Go
Keep on Dancing
Enjoy Yourself

After 1981, those songs weren't performed again aside from Dancing Machine
jaywonder.tumblr.com

jaywonder
8431 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 07:16 AM

2. "solo years, it would be Bad or Dangerous"
In response to Reply # 0

The Bad Tour band was synth heavy but did a really good job. I have audio from the first hour of the first European show and after hearing snippets from the Wembley July 88 shows (which is supposed to be released later this year) I'd choose that tour

jaywonder.tumblr.com

Lobby The Lesson topic #2691605 Previous topic | Next topic