Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2690966

Subject: "you cool with modern superstar acts on music shows as judges?" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Apr-25-12 11:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"you cool with modern superstar acts on music shows as judges?"

its one thing with Steven Tyler, Jennifer Lopez and Paula Abdul as Judges because they are past there prime and peak, but what about

Blake Shelton? Adam levine and Cee Lo Green? or Christina Agullaria doing it and rumored Britney Spears going to X factor?

i mean i couldn't imagine back in the day of seeing Ray parker Jr, EL Debarge, Teddy Pendergrass or Berry White as no judge on a talent show while they were in there Prime and Peak.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
At first I wasn't but I realize now why they do it....
Apr 25th 2012
definitely a check...and visibility
Apr 26th 2012
Not really, but what I do have a problem with is...
Apr 26th 2012
Yeah, she's another one that irks me
Apr 27th 2012
it's ridiculous if they THEMSELVES can't sing.
Apr 26th 2012
^ This
Apr 26th 2012
as long as they dont trot RKelly out
Apr 26th 2012
FYI he won on a talent show with his old group MGM back in 1990
Apr 26th 2012
Am I cool with it? Yes.
Apr 26th 2012
No Diss but I think its interesting the time warp you live in.
Apr 27th 2012
R.Kelly, Brian Mcknight, Joe, Tevin Campbell,Mary J Bliege
Apr 28th 2012

Eyebrow Bump
Member since Apr 23rd 2012
43 posts
Wed Apr-25-12 11:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "At first I wasn't but I realize now why they do it...."
In response to Reply # 0

and the 2 main reasons are:

1. a pay check
2. to help sell their brand

Since the decline of music videos and the internet taking over the music scene, these shows are great and easy outlets for these artist to still stay close to what it is they do (without acting on tv shows), make money and sell/add on to their brand. But back in the day, I couldn't imagine this especially not when a star is at his or her prime and peak.

bucknchange
Member since May 07th 2003
3590 posts
Thu Apr-26-12 01:09 AM

2. "definitely a check...and visibility"
In response to Reply # 1

it sucks though as an artist that that's what you gotta do nowadays
could you imagine mj, prince, rick, whitney, bon jovi, etc doing this.
i guess its easier than touring, but it just looks like you NEED tv instead of being a musician.

Crash85
Member since May 08th 2007
7288 posts
Thu Apr-26-12 02:07 AM

3. "Not really, but what I do have a problem with is..."
In response to Reply # 0

Jennifer Lopez critiquing other people's singing... I mean, it's gotta be kinda awkward for her because I'm sure everyone on American Idol, from the qualifying round on has more vocal talent than she does...

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 10:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Yeah, she's another one that irks me"
In response to Reply # 3

But I still think Britney's worse.

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Thu Apr-26-12 05:24 PM

4. "it's ridiculous if they THEMSELVES can't sing."
In response to Reply # 0

like, if I was contestant on a show and Jennifer Lopez, Britney Spears, or Paula Abdul told me I couldn't sing, I really wouldn't put much stock in it...

http://www.windimoto.com

http://ten2one.wordpress.com/ <-FEB

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

CaptNish
14495 posts
Thu Apr-26-12 10:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "^ This"
In response to Reply # 4

Ben Folds on that acapella show made sense. I'm even okay with Aguilera. But man... Britney? Nah man.

_

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Thu Apr-26-12 09:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "as long as they dont trot RKelly out"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------------
“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Thu Apr-26-12 10:02 PM

6. "FYI he won on a talent show with his old group MGM back in 1990"
In response to Reply # 5

Natalie Cole hosted the show and the King of R&B and his group did there thing.

he would make a Great Judge since the Man knows a thing or two about Hit songs and Longevity and has the Stats and Jewlery to back it up.

and he has worked with established and unknown acts and made hits on them so da Kang of R&B knows how to make it do what it do.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

CaptNish
14495 posts
Thu Apr-26-12 10:51 PM

8. "Am I cool with it? Yes."
In response to Reply # 0

But mostly because on a show like the Voice, them cats competing are all pros for the most part anyway. And as much as I want to hate on these cats like "You ain't even that good. Why would I listen to you tell me I suck?" at the end of the day, it's a popularity contest, and as much as I'm like "The fuck if I'ma let Adam Levine *coach* me" they're still better than the American public.

But mostly, I'm cool with it, 'cause I ain't in front of them.

Britney as a judge does bother me though. I can't front on that.

_

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49401 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 03:01 PM

10. "No Diss but I think its interesting the time warp you live in."
In response to Reply # 0

It's interesting to me that all your references to artists are at least 20 years old. You'll reference Ray parker Jr like someone else would reference Chris Brown. Even your slang is very 80s.

I imagine you live in an apartment with velvet art, bead curtains, a wood grain stereo system and Soul Train on TV 24/7.

Not at all a diss. I think its all just Awesome.

"Hey, man, salute to all the beautiful doctors, everybody that’s researching and helping find cures. Salute to everyone who’s finding cures to diseaaaases. Everybody that’s aiding the people. -Lil B

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat Apr-28-12 01:20 AM

11. "R.Kelly, Brian Mcknight, Joe, Tevin Campbell,Mary J Bliege"
In response to Reply # 10

are all mainly 90's and I like the 90's as much as I dig certain parts of the 80's and 60's. the 70's is my era of R&B though.

naw the crib is cool and very modern.

i'm a Soul brother though

Lobby The Lesson topic #2690966 Previous topic | Next topic