Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2690706

Subject: "when a lp bombs the 1st card usually played is lack of promotion" Previous topic | Next topic
ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Wed Apr-25-12 02:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"when a lp bombs the 1st card usually played is lack of promotion"
Wed Apr-25-12 02:33 PM by ABROCK33

but is their really such a thing as a record not being promoted right?or being under promoted by the record label or is that just a lame excuse when the artists record didnt do as well as they expected it too?

Im sure if you ask ANY artist they will say it happens but as a fan I have to wonder when I hear an artist's take on why their record went wood

Artist X- "ya know what i mean we had the hot fire on the lp but the label just didnt promote it right"

Realy?!?

in this day and age with all the technology available, demograpic studies, videos etc..somehow the label dropped the ball on your ish?

their stake (financially, time, energy) in it is even more than the artist since they are investing/gambling that the finished product will be a success.

lets be honest a record company is a business. A business to MAKE money not lose it. I dont buy that a company in the bus to make money, with a chance to make money, would spend the money upfront to record a record then decide that they dont want to put enough money and energy into it to atleast TRY and recoup their money

it just doesnt sound right from a business perspective

yet you hear it all the time (or used too)

now I know their are rare exceptions such as when Tommy Boy was on the verge of going out of business so they didnt really put anything into De La's Mosiac Thump. But again this is the exception not the rule

how about your album wasnt that good, the fans wernt diggin it so they didnt buy it..game over try again

own it

instead of blameing it on lack of promotion

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

1619 the 1st slaves are brought to American shores
thus begins the phrase “mine is better than yours?” (huh?)
forced to serve-too broke to by freedom
the systematic rape of African culture has begun
little time

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Chemistry is science, no one wants to explain it because...
Apr 25th 2012
no one wants to hear an artist passin the buck
Apr 25th 2012
promo is more important than ever these days.
Apr 25th 2012
agree
Apr 25th 2012

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Wed Apr-25-12 02:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Chemistry is science, no one wants to explain it because..."
In response to Reply # 0

...people would turn a deaf ear, as my mom would say. But ask 20 different artists as to the exact reason why their music didn't sell, and you'll have 80 different answers.

In other words, you can be blunt and honest, but within that answer comes a number of dynamics. I'm sure there are many instances where a label will say "we exhausted every means of promotion and the song didn't make an impact with fans". The means of promotion are now in the power of the artists more than ever, anyone can have a say. Everyone wants to be lucky, but no one wants to admit they can also be unlucky, which is usually 99 percent of the time.

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Wed Apr-25-12 02:45 PM

3. "no one wants to hear an artist passin the buck"
In response to Reply # 1

especially when u spend money

>In other words, you can be blunt and honest, but within that
>answer comes a number of dynamics.>

I cant really remember an artist ever sayin yeah they dropped the ball tho. Im sure it happens I just cant think of when it did

I'm sure there are many
>instances where a label will say "we exhausted every means of
>promotion and the song didn't make an impact with fans".>

i.e. "weve spent WAY more than we should have and the fans still dont like it, plus you owe us money still so its best we cut our loses now"

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85086 posts
Wed Apr-25-12 02:36 PM

2. "promo is more important than ever these days."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Wed Apr-25-12 02:46 PM

4. "agree"
In response to Reply # 2

but why would someone invest in you upfront and then leave you to hang?

I dont buy it

its not that cut and dry

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

Lobby The Lesson topic #2690706 Previous topic | Next topic