Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2689419

Subject: "how ya'll feel about miles smiles?" Previous topic | Next topic
d-bwoyFLOW
Member since Nov 13th 2010
556 posts
Mon Apr-23-12 05:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"how ya'll feel about miles smiles?"

been bumpin this album HEAVY the past few days.

sometimes i forget how ill it is. shit is an intense record. everyone absolutely kills it. the rhythm section in particular might be the best i ever heard in a jazz record. altho i ain't exactly a jazz expert. i still hav a lot more to listen to.

what is the nxt best miles album with this line up?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It's amazing
Apr 23rd 2012
a very good album that is a victim of being sandwiched between
Apr 23rd 2012
It's my favorite from that quintet
Apr 23rd 2012
Incredible album
Apr 23rd 2012
RE: It is extremely good.
Apr 23rd 2012

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Mon Apr-23-12 06:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It's amazing"
In response to Reply # 0

One of my absolute favorites when it comes to straight jazz. Amazing rhythm-section and Miles solos are the most inspired he did with that quintet IMO.

My only beef with the album is the way Shorter's sax was mixed (=recorded, I think they recorded to 2-track so there's obviously not a lot of mixing involved); it's too panned in one speaker with very little "leakage" to the other which makes it a bit annoying to listen to in headphones. Maybe some remaster has "fixed"-or at least de-emphazised- this though...

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Apr-23-12 01:10 PM

2. "a very good album that is a victim of being sandwiched between"
In response to Reply # 0

better albums before it and thereafter and what a nice luxury to have an album that isn't overlooked, however it doesn't get the same buzz as said others.

the arrangements and tone work and he had a signature of how he wanted things to be and it worked.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

dalecooper
Member since Apr 07th 2006
3164 posts
Mon Apr-23-12 01:47 PM

3. "It's my favorite from that quintet"
In response to Reply # 0

especially "Footprints" which I always thought was the quintessential Shorter composition. I'm not skilled enough on any instrument to really play jazz properly, but I used to sit around picking out the bassline to that song over and over. Great tune, so simple and yet so gorgeous.

If you like that one, try "Nefertiti" and "E.S.P." next.

--

WillSessions
Member since Oct 11th 2007
604 posts
Mon Apr-23-12 01:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
4. "Incredible album"
In response to Reply # 0

The first miles album I bought. Its my favorite jazz record

www.twitter.com/willsessions

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Mon Apr-23-12 02:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: It is extremely good."
In response to Reply # 0

The next two albums (Sorcerer and Nefertiti) are even better though.

~Austin

Lobby The Lesson topic #2689419 Previous topic | Next topic