Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2689358

Subject: "The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends. (Badu, Ono, Ke$ha, etc.)" Previous topic | Next topic
Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Sun Apr-22-12 11:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends. (Badu, Ono, Ke$ha, etc.)"
Sun Apr-22-12 11:10 PM by Madvillain 626

Anyone heard this? Dropped on RSD, a collection of collabs the Lips have done over the past year with everyone from Tame Impala to Chris Martin to Biz Markie.

This is a lot better than I expected. The jawn with Bon Iver stands out on the first listen and the 10 minute cover of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face with Badu works on all levels. The Chris Martin collab sound like a lost Radiohead cut.

It all comes together and works as an album. It's awesome to see 50 year old having so much fun making music. I haven't even tried to listen to the 6 hour song they dropped last year. Still one of the best live acts you can see.

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm afraid to crack it open for some reason ...
Apr 23rd 2012
probably because you know it's not gonna be good despite what you read
Apr 23rd 2012
      RE: probably because you know it's not gonna be good despite what you re...
Apr 23rd 2012
           this shit iz garbo
Apr 23rd 2012
                don't tell me that fam, I fucked w/ EMBRYONIC hard too...
Apr 23rd 2012
                     i dunno.......shit just feels half assed to me
Apr 23rd 2012
                          It wouldn't surprise me
Apr 23rd 2012

QBoogie
Member since Jun 05th 2002
5885 posts
Mon Apr-23-12 06:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm afraid to crack it open for some reason ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Apr-23-12 07:40 AM

2. "probably because you know it's not gonna be good despite what you read"
In response to Reply # 1

like pretty much the Flaming Lips entire career which subsists of gimmicks & gadgetry in place of things like lots of good songs.

I'll give them hustle credits somehow transcending being the 'She Don't Use Jelly' guys & stretching out a long career through a tireless passion for parlor tricks but this group's been bubble-bouncing atop the heads of critics & true-believer-smoke-and-mirror-deceiver types to levels that would make Radiohead feel embarrassed.

Anyone who paid for four copies of the 'Zareeka' album & played it with the accompanying four seperate stereos for each track or sat through a six-hour 'song' by this band is a musical masochist whose thoughts on art and/or life should be disregarded immediately.

dalecooper
Member since Apr 07th 2006
3164 posts
Mon Apr-23-12 11:14 AM

3. "RE: probably because you know it's not gonna be good despite what you re..."
In response to Reply # 2

>like pretty much the Flaming Lips entire career which
>subsists of gimmicks & gadgetry in place of things like lots
>of good songs.

They actually have lots of good songs, and lots of good albums. I crack a smile at the gimmickry but I don't listen to "Zaireeka" or their six hour experiment (I've only heard a bit of the former and none of the latter); I *do* listen to "Soft Bulletin, "Yoshimi," "Embryonic" and "Transmissions" on a regular basis, and still find plenty worthy going back for.

--

d-bwoyFLOW
Member since Nov 13th 2010
556 posts
Mon Apr-23-12 11:27 AM

4. "this shit iz garbo"
In response to Reply # 3

an i fucked wit embryonic HEAVY.

they got a proper album droppin at the end of the year so hopefully thats better

QBoogie
Member since Jun 05th 2002
5885 posts
Mon Apr-23-12 12:02 PM

5. "don't tell me that fam, I fucked w/ EMBRYONIC hard too..."
In response to Reply # 4

and I liked the way the Bon Iver & Badu collabs sounded from youtubery so ... :/

d-bwoyFLOW
Member since Nov 13th 2010
556 posts
Mon Apr-23-12 12:13 PM

6. "i dunno.......shit just feels half assed to me"
In response to Reply # 5

you can tell they just threw this together. getting collabos from people through e-mails and shit.

it's throwaway music.

dalecooper
Member since Apr 07th 2006
3164 posts
Mon Apr-23-12 03:32 PM

7. "It wouldn't surprise me"
In response to Reply # 6

They've shown a great propensity to not take themselves that seriously and just throw out stuff they think fans might enjoy. I mostly stick to their regular studio albums. When they take themselves a little more seriously they tend to be really good (though I disliked "At War with the Mystics," but that was a rare misfire).

--

Lobby The Lesson topic #2689358 Previous topic | Next topic