Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2689071

Subject: "where does Selena rank with other Latina Pop Singers?" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Apr-22-12 02:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"where does Selena rank with other Latina Pop Singers?"

i mean this chick was good and seemed headed toward major cross over and she was a good live act and a nice looking senorita.

had she lived do you think she would have been as big as Gloria Estfan and Jennifer Lopez or sat in Lisa, Lisa territory??

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Max ...
Apr 23rd 2012
i dont think selena would have been as popular
Apr 23rd 2012
      I thought Selena was pretty enough
Apr 23rd 2012
      LOL @ not as pretty as J-Lo..
Apr 24th 2012
Outside of tejano or Mexicans she was not well known
Apr 23rd 2012
RE: where does Selena rank with other Latina Pop Singers?
Apr 23rd 2012
Gloria, J. Lo, Lisa Lisa... fuckin americans *walks out of post*
Apr 24th 2012
Don't think she would've crossed over.
Apr 24th 2012

QBoogie
Member since Jun 05th 2002
5885 posts
Mon Apr-23-12 07:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Max ... "
In response to Reply # 0

... she would have been huge had she not have died. She was already big in the tejano/latin communities. Had she done the proper crossover record y'all would be saying "J-Lo who?" right about now. Plus she was prettier than Jenny from the block too.

Ezzsential
Charter member
11085 posts
Mon Apr-23-12 07:56 PM

2. "i dont think selena would have been as popular"
In response to Reply # 1

had she not deceased.. she was mexican and since when did mexicans get that recognition...
selena wasnt as pretty as jlo-infact i think in that movie (selena) she looked her prettiest (jlo)

semantics softer than couples at wedding alters
this cops and robbers
and u cant hold a candle
rip ur antlers off and hang them on my mantle
str8 rambo--rocket science wouldnt even try it
these dudes cant compare their focus is on a diet~me

forgivenphoenix
Member since Dec 08th 2007
2514 posts
Mon Apr-23-12 09:29 PM

3. "I thought Selena was pretty enough"
In response to Reply # 2

and she defintely had a good voice. i think she would have been a distinct artist because she had kind of a soul sound to her voice, but sang in Spanish (from what I know) so that combination would have beem marketable.

plus she came across in an age where you didn't have to necessarily 'sex it up' to be successful. i think she might have found her audience over time. i can't really think of any other artists that had a cult following like she did, but i think if she would have had more time, i think she would have made it big. but even if she didn't, she could have been eating off of the Tejano / Latino audience for a while.

i agree that she just didn't have that crossover hit to break her to mainstream America, but i don't think that detracts from her success. I mean they made a movie about her, so she had to have struck a chord with a decent amount of people.

http://www.twitter.com/chriscjamison/

People who don't take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.

Peter Drucker

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Tue Apr-24-12 12:57 AM

7. "LOL @ not as pretty as J-Lo.."
In response to Reply # 2

Jenny from Da Block wouldn't even be the household name she is/was if it weren't for Selena getting offed by Yolanda. J-Lo lucked into a perfect role at the perfect time.. which tricked people into thinking she was a movie star and a singing sensation. Psych!

SALINAS was fine as hell and could actually sing. I don't know about her being as big as J-Lo is/was.. but it's all beside the point since if she had stayed alive and continued to carry on with her career, J-Lo would have ended up on some formulaic network police drama series as a hard-edged but pretty Puerto Rican female detective from the streets.

las raises
Member since Aug 31st 2002
14981 posts
Mon Apr-23-12 10:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Outside of tejano or Mexicans she was not well known"
In response to Reply # 0

I remember when she died a friend of mine told me and my friend and we had no idea who she was, but who knows how big she would have gotten

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6375 posts
Mon Apr-23-12 11:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: where does Selena rank with other Latina Pop Singers?"
In response to Reply # 0

>i mean this chick was good and seemed headed toward major
>cross over and she was a good live act and a nice looking
>senorita.
>
>had she lived do you think she would have been as big as
>Gloria Estfan and Jennifer Lopez or sat in Lisa, Lisa
>territory??
>
>
she was about to blow. for real for real. there would BE no jennifer lopez if not for her playing that role in the movie. this was before the internet exploded and social media. baby girl would have been HUGE. so fucking sad.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Apr-24-12 12:08 AM

6. "Gloria, J. Lo, Lisa Lisa... fuckin americans *walks out of post*"
In response to Reply # 0

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

bski
Member since Jun 09th 2002
12115 posts
Tue Apr-24-12 01:38 AM

8. "Don't think she would've crossed over."
In response to Reply # 0

She was talented and pretty but I doubt she would've broken out of the Tejano scene had she not died young.

I remember when the news of her death broke, I was like "the girl that did the duet with the Barrio Boyz?"!

Lobby The Lesson topic #2689071 Previous topic | Next topic