Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2688231

Subject: "BIAAAATCH! Full Clip: Too $hort.....Yep (Ant Banks, E-40, Biggie, Jigga,..." Previous topic | Next topic
murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Thu Apr-19-12 03:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"BIAAAATCH! Full Clip: Too $hort.....Yep (Ant Banks, E-40, Biggie, Jigga,..."

Bay Area stand up!!!!!!!!

Too $hort Full Clip...You know the drill....

Talks 30 year career...Talks about controversy behind his x-rated lyrics...talks about early days on the road...talks Bay Area beef and the real story of why he moved out of Oakland...Recording with Ice Cube, Biggie, E-40 and Jay-Z...talks about becoming a Bay Area legend...And the fall out after his XXL interview turmoil....Yep...Shit is real...Read on....

-----

Full Clip: Too $hort Runs Down His Catalogue Ft. Ant Banks, E-40, Biggie, Jay-Z, and Wiz Khalifah

When you are the practitioner of perhaps the longest running hip-hop career that stretches three decades, you’ve seen and experienced it all. During the seemingly indestructible run of Oakland, California rapper Too $hort he has been both the subject of adulation and polarizing rebuke with such releases as Born to Mack (1987), Life is…Too $hort (1989), Cocktails (1995), and Blow The Whistle (2006). The man who forever introduced explicit material and a somewhat comedic, over-the-top take on the Bay Area pimp culture to the rap lexicon also managed to pull off one of the rap genre’s most impressive streaks. Nineteen albums, eight gold and platinum releases, and 11 million copies later, Too $hort has put in the work to be lauded as a legend, an unlikely billing for an artist who was frequently told that he couldn’t even rap.

But Too $hort’s legacy is indeed a mixed bag. On February of 2012, the 45-year-old entered a firestorm when he was asked by XXL.com to give “fatherly advice” to middle-school and high school boys. The video soon took a controversial turn when Too $hort offered tips on how to “turn a girl out.” After the fall-out, a contrite Too $hort apologized profusely, stating, “You have to be accountable for what you do...I don’t expect you to waste your time and energy trying to hear me out. I just want to get involved in something that does not say ‘Hey, forgive me!’ I understand that I made a big mistake.”

Over a month later, Todd Shaw is philosophical about the events and his history-making career. “My fans get to walk up to me, face-to-face, and say, ‘$hort, that was fucked up what you said in that XXL article,’” a candid Too $hort tells VIBE. “Or they can say, ‘$hort, I love that show you did last week.’ They can actually say these things to my face without anyone stopping them. I feel like the best bodyguard that I’ve ever had was to look someone in the eye and say, ‘What’s up?’ That kills all the issues.”

However, don’t expect to hear a choirboy on his latest album No Trespassing. For Too $hort, true lifestyle changes are happening away from the mic. “I don’t want to go out the door as a dirty rapper,” he laughs. “I’ve had a long and career. I’ve done a lot for Bay Area hip-hop. But I definitely want people to say, ‘That boy had some dirty raps, but he also did a lot of good things for the community, too.’” This is the unfiltered, uncensored story of Too $hort. This is Full Clip.—Keith Murphy (murphdogg29)

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Don't Stop Rappin' (1983), Players (1985), Raw, Uncut, and X-Rated (1986...
Apr 19th 2012
Born to Mack (1987)
Apr 19th 2012
      Life Is...Too $hort (1989)
Apr 19th 2012
           Short Dog's in the House (1990)
Apr 19th 2012
                Shorty The Pimp (1992)
Apr 19th 2012
                Get in Where You Fit In (1993)
Apr 19th 2012
                     Cocktails (1995)
Apr 19th 2012

Apr 19th 2012
                The Ghetto is "15's in the trunk" music. Beautiful sub bass
Apr 23rd 2012
                     RE: The Ghetto is "15's in the trunk" music. Beautiful sub bass
Apr 25th 2012
One of my favorites. Greatly appreciated fam.
Apr 19th 2012
RE: One of my favorites. Greatly appreciated fam.
Apr 19th 2012
Apr 19th 2012
Apr 19th 2012
i will be sitting down and reading this
Apr 19th 2012
RE: i will be sitting down and reading this
Apr 21st 2012
the Man who Brought Rudy Ray Moore Phrases back
Apr 20th 2012
RE: the Man who Brought Rudy Ray Moore Phrases back
Apr 21st 2012
damn good work
Apr 20th 2012
RE: damn good work
Apr 21st 2012
Fantastic piece
Apr 20th 2012
RE: Fantastic piece
Apr 21st 2012
this should be in print.
Apr 20th 2012
RE: this should be in print.
Apr 20th 2012
Great stuff but....
Apr 20th 2012
RE: Great stuff but....
Apr 20th 2012
man, posts like this are what makes OKP &the Lesson dope
Apr 20th 2012
RE: man, posts like this are what makes OKP &the Lesson dope
Apr 21st 2012
dope
Apr 21st 2012
RE: dope
Apr 21st 2012
I saw Too Short when I was 12 years old on the Eazy-Duz-It Tour in 89
Apr 21st 2012
RE: I saw Too Short when I was 12 years old on the Eazy-Duz-It Tour in 8...
Apr 22nd 2012
      thanks brotha, keep up the good work
Apr 22nd 2012
           RE: thanks brotha, keep up the good work
Apr 22nd 2012
Buy U Some is a fuckin mean ass track
Apr 21st 2012
RE: Buy U Some is a fuckin mean ass track
Apr 22nd 2012
thanks murph
Apr 22nd 2012
RE: thanks murph
Apr 22nd 2012

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Apr-19-12 03:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Don't Stop Rappin' (1983), Players (1985), Raw, Uncut, and X-Rated (1986..."
In response to Reply # 0

Don't Stop Rappin' (1983), Players (1985), Raw, Uncut, and X-Rated (1986)

“I came up in Oakland. I think my first interest in rap was when I was in the elementary school band. I knew instruments and I marched in the band a little bit. But when I first heard those early records like ‘Rapper’s Delight,’ all the stuff that was coming from Sugar Hill Records, and those early Kurtis Blow songs I started to get interested in rap. It was probably in 1980 when I said, ‘Man, I could do this shit.’ I found some instrumentals that would be on the B-sides of the disco 12-inches and I started messing around with it. Basically, people in my neighborhood liked it. But I only had one rap . And they got tired of it, and I didn’t like the fact that they got tired of it, so I wrote some new raps. That’s when I caught the buzz.

The way that my records got explicit was that I would put some curse words in my rhymes in the early days, and people would always laugh at it. I went back to the drawing board and made a rap with a few more curse words. I would notice the reaction. I had a rap partner by the name of Freddie B. We just kind of slowly but surely progressed into making a lot of funny, explicit stuff. To me it was no different than Richard Pryor. That was always my intention. The humor was always there. If you listen to my first three albums the order that they came in they were Don't Stop Rappin', Players, Raw, Uncut, and X-Rated. But in reality Raw, Uncut and X-Rated was recorded first. I was dealing with this label called 75 Girls in the Bay Area. I was coming out of the phase of making homemade tapes. 75 Girls found one of my earliest tapes and turned it into a real album. Raw was exactly what we were doing between the years 81-84. It was when I got into the studio when I actually recorded Don’t Stop Rappin’ and Players.

We were recording at a really nice studio in San Francisco. We would start from 11pm to 6 am, the graveyard shift in order to get the cheaper studio rates. And the guy that financed everything was Dean Hodges. He owned 75 Girls Records. If you listen to those albums there are a lot of live musicians on there; a lot of keyboards, guitars mixed with the drum machines. There was a very ‘80s environment in that studio; a lot of drugs and a lot of chicks. There were always parties, and I was the youngest person there. That whole time taught me two things: I didn’t want to do hardcore drugs like cocaine. And it taught me how to actually make music. I needed those two experiences to evolve into Too $hort. Without that it would have been a different story for me. I probably would have fell into the drug thing. At that point we all had the choice to not use them, get all the way into drugs or be a drug dealer. I chose music.”

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Apr-19-12 03:37 PM

2. "Born to Mack (1987)"
In response to Reply # 1

Born to Mack (1987)

“I was just telling Melle Mel from the Furious 5, ‘Man, when you guys made ‘The Message’ my visual was New York City all the way. You could just listen to the song and envision the actual video without ever having to actually visit New York. It was clear as day. My light bulb went off in my head. I thought that’s what I need to do with Oakland. I need to tell that story so the world can see and feel Oakland. That’s where the pimp culture in some of my songs came from. I spent my early years in L.A., so when I moved to Oakland I was so fascinated by how colorful real street life was. And I was always infatuated with the whole pimp thing from the ‘70s movies like The Mack. It would even be in the Shaft movie or a Pam Grier movie…there would always be a pimp character in the movie. The cars were there. The girls were there. So I decided to tell the story of Oakland on the Born to Mack album. That’s what me and my partner Freddie B rapped about when we were in high school: pimps, people dealing with drugs, the newest slang in Oakland and what was going on in the ‘hood.

At the time, the biggest music coming out of the West Coast was coming from L.A. That was the L.A. Dream Team…they were hot. There was Dr. Dre with the World Class Wrecking Crew. And then Ice T came along and he adjusted the whole L.A. game from being on an electro kind of tip to talking about some street shit…on some killing shit. Here I am at the same time in Oakland. We were sort of on each other’s vibe. I met Ice in ’84. I knew he was talking that shit and he knew I was talking that shit. A few years later, Jive Records found me. These concerts would come through Oakland and the promoters started asking me would I open the show. They would give me a few $100 bucks just to get the crowed warmed up. I was pretty good at that. So the people that would see it would come to me after the show and say, ‘I never heard of you…how long have you been doing this? And how the fuck does everybody in the crowd know every word to your songs?’

There was a word-of-mouth thing going around on me. I originally released Born To Mack independently. We released it in the summer of ’87 and for those first six months it was the hottest shit. In L.A. and the Bay Area there wasn’t but two acts in heavy rotation: Eazy E and Too $hort. ‘Boys In The Hood’ and ‘Freaky Tales’—the bass in those two songs and what they did to your car and your speakers, everybody was bumping those songs. So I guess Jive Records heard about it. Someone called Barry Weiss (former Jive Records head). With the money Jive was offering I was thinking, ‘Fuck Jive Records. We don’t need them.’ We were already getting a lot of money. But basically all we could do is get records play in Northern California. We couldn’t really penetrate any other part of the country in terms of distribution. So we decided to sign with Jive so that we could get the Born To Mack album out nationwide.

I got the idea for ‘Freaky Tales’ from one of my favorite rappers Spoonie Gee. And I also got off on Jimmy Spicer’s ‘Super Rhymes.’ And if you listen to those guys they weren’t making 16 bars with a hook. They would rap forever before they would even take a break. The hook was the rapper shutting up for a while *laughs*. So when I got my chance to get in the studio I used that format for ‘Freaky Tales.’ I was rapping forever on that record. Almost 10 minutes straight. ‘Freaky Tales’ originally featured the names of 75 girls. Some of the shit was outright corny because I was trying to do so many names. I erased about 30 names. I was being told that rappers don’t have curse words in their records. So I got my own money together and created Dangerous Music and we put out ‘Freaky Tales.’ That was the first song we recorded. And it was explicit because I wasn’t looking at what the commercial world wanted.

It was real rag tag. We had a DJ Rack. On all those early 75 Girls records there was always me on the drum machine and me doing the basslines. And we had a keyboard player by the name of Greg who used to play with Rick James. If you hear anything really intricate on those records that’s Greg. And when we were making Born To Mack there was a guy is San Francisco name Chris Wayne. He had a real 808 drum machine. That gave us the bass that we needed. I had one keyboard, a Roland—SH-101…a very small keyboard that made a lot of Moog sounds. We made the entire Born To Mack album with just that keyboard and a drum machine in three sessions. Chris helped me out with a lot of programming.

Using the word bitch was another thing that came from my early days with Freddie B. We would do these skits where we would do an intro to a song and act like we were pimps. And we would be pretending that we were actually freebasing cocaine with a chick or something and would pass the cocaine to the female, and she would start smoking and hogging it. And we would yell, ‘B-i-t-c-h…stop smoking!!!’ And it would turn into a joke. We would do it at parties and people would always yell out bitch. My man Freddie B kind of got caught up in the streets and did a couple stints in prison. And this all happened when my career was blowing up.”

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Apr-19-12 03:38 PM

3. "Life Is...Too $hort (1989)"
In response to Reply # 2

Life Is...Too $hort (1989)

“The difference between Life Is…Too $hort and my early albums is I met a studio engineer by the name of Al Eaton. He was a guitar player and he had that love for old soul and funk music. He was the one that had me remaking songs like Cameo’s ‘Keep It Hot.’ You had the Average White Band’s ‘School Boy Crush,’ and we did it before Eric B & Rakim used it. So Al was a guitar player who came in with a lot of ideas. He was playing the riffs to these songs. And I’m like, ‘Shit, let’s do this!’ I knew when we were recording the new music it was way beyond anything we had done before. I had a girl that could barely sing on ‘Pimp The Hoe.’ *laughs* When Jive heard ‘Life Is… Too Short’ they said, ‘Yeah, that’s the single!’ We got a video director for my first video. He didn’t know what to do and we didn’t have a treatment. I told him, ‘Look, I got this fucking Cadillac and the whole city of Oakland loves me. Let’s just ride around the city and get everyone’s reaction to me rapping the song.’

Songs back then used to come about organically. When we went into the studio and had this beat and concept, I talked to these girls who were only like 16 back then. I told them this was their homework: ‘Go home and write around this concept. It’s an older dude pulling up in a car while you are walking home from school. And the dude is trying to fuck you. And you are telling this dude to beat it.’ That was the concept around ‘Don’t Fight The Feeling.’ But the girls went home and wrote a rap on some, ‘Fuck you, fuck yo’ mamma, and fuck yo’ lame ass game.’ We are in the studio and girls are talking about my teeth and all this shit *laughs*. I was like, ‘Whoa…Fuck that!’ I re-wrote my whole rap. To me that was the best way to go. Some people in the studio didn’t think it was a good idea to let a girl talk about me like that. But I was like, ‘Fuck that. This is the shit!’ ‘Don’t Fight The Feeling’ became one of those songs that was bigger than my single. I wanted to empower my listeners in different ways on both the male and female side.

I was very content with being this underground artist. Before Jive took over, we had sold about 60,000 copies. They picked it up and sold another 150,000 with no posters, the radio ads, no video play and no TV ads. That was pretty good for Jive back then. But then when we went gold and Jive was like, ‘This is crazy!’ Now radio is taking to it. I didn’t really want my face on the album cover and I didn’t want to make a video because I didn’t want to be famous. I just wanted to make my dirty raps. But I started promoting the album. That’s when RCA, who was the parent company of Jive, was like, ‘Send this Too $hort motherfucker to us.’ RCA grabbed me and placed me with each one of their regional reps on a nationwide promo tour to Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Houston…all over the country. That was the moment I learned how to be an artist on a professional level.

I remember coming off the promo tour and I had sold 500,000 more copies. Then Eazy E calls me and ask would I like to go on tour with him. This is when the Straight Outta Compton had dropped and they were doing even bigger numbers than me. Before I even got off tour someone puts a rumor out that I had gotten murdered in a crack house. *laughs* That added another 500,000 records. Now we are at 1.3 million copies of Life Is…Too $hort. And that was with just two singles: ‘I Ain’t Trippin’ and ‘Life Is Too Short,’ with just a little radio airplay. RCA and Jive were shocked. This was unheard of. They had all these great artists like KRS-One, Whodini, Kool Moe Dee, the Fresh Prince…and I don’t think A Tribe Called Quest was signed to Jive just yet. And they were all headlining over me. But I’m shoulder to shoulder with the big boys, now.”

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Apr-19-12 03:39 PM

4. "Short Dog's in the House (1990)"
In response to Reply # 3

Short Dog's in the House (1990)

‘The Ghetto’ was based on a Donnie Hathaway song, another song that Al Eaton brought to me. Like I said, he was into that real old soul music. And I already knew that record. Al says, ‘This record has so much emotion in it.’ It’s just Donnie humming and singing the chorus. The music was all about the feeling it gave you. At that time there were a lot of records being made that described the ghetto in a very negative way. You would hear, ‘It’s so hard in the ghetto…it’s so dangerous in the ghetto.’ This was the crack era in 1989. But I was like man, when I go to the projects and see some of these apartments there are big ass TV’s and leather couches…everything. That’s the other side I wanted to tell about the ghetto. I was saying, ‘Even though things are bad, they are not that bad.’ ‘The Ghetto’ crossed over to the pop charts. People grabbed on to that emotion. They needed that hope during those bad times.

The first song on the album is ‘Short Dog’s in the House.’ I looked at the schedule after just coming off of tour and I rapped a song about my experiences on tour. I mentioned all the cities and the stuff I learned about those cities. That shit was making people connect, ya know? Saying I went to a certain local barbershop in Tennessee to get a cut was a big deal back then. I used to go down south, Midwest and all these small towns on the West Coast. And I was being treated like Michael Jackson in Little Rock Arkansas.

‘Ain't Nothin' but a Word to Me’ was my way of answering people who had a problem with me using the word bitch. If you know Ice Cube’s writing technique and the subjects that he chooses he likes to play on the lines and makes them make sense. He doesn’t just use curse words for shock value. He’s making a point when he raps. So I got him to help me dig into the B-word. We explained the meaning…the fact that bitch was nothing but a word. But in the end it was a way for me to slap the critics in the face. It was a weird education, but people still come to me and say, ‘Man, over the years I have learned a lot from your music.’ And then there are other people who think that I’m just dirty. But those people weren’t really listening.

By this time I started to develop what I called the formula. I knew how to make music that people liked. There’s a Too $hort fan who loves what I do…that goes for he or a she. I would picture that one fan when I was making songs. I would ask myself, ‘Would a Too $hort fan like this record?’ It’s the simplicity of my music that draws people to it. That was the reason for my success. I’m in tune with somebody that loves my music.”

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Apr-19-12 03:41 PM

5. "Shorty The Pimp (1992)"
In response to Reply # 4

Shorty The Pimp (1992)

“Ant Banks is a student of Too $hort. Even before 1992 he was studying me. This guy came from a background of music lessons. He came up reading music and playing in the band just like I did. He had done some stuff with an artist called Pooh Man. And he had a lot of local success. Ant was already in it. He was already working the machines. He was doing a spin-off of my style. And Pooh Man was doing a spin-off of my voice. It was very Too $hort-ish. So I was getting ready to record my third major label album in Al Eaton’s studio. I paid Al $40,000 of my budget upfront to record Shorty The Pimp in his space because we were good buddies. So I come into the studio for the first session and Al is going trying to educate me on what he learned hanging out with his buddy who was the engineer at MC Hammer’s studio. Hammer had sold millions of records and had a real recording situation in the suburbs outside of Oakland. You know he did everything over-the-top, so imagine what Hammer’s recording facility looked like at the height of his career.

Al Eaton comes back to me during our first session and explains to me that he’s had an epiphany, and that he saw the light. He says, ‘From now on you have to make pop music for white people.’ He was like, ‘Man, all that N-word shit, I don’t want to hear that stuff in my studio. Unless it’s geared to go pop I’m not even trying to make it.’ I think we did one or two sessions. I’m trying to tell him I’m not making pop music. I’m not trying to make music for white folks. I grew up on Parliament Funkadelic.’ If it ain’t the funk, I’m not making it. So we had these sessions and Al was acting like he didn’t even want to do the engineering! He was actually falling asleep. He kept saying there was a computer glitch. He would re-boot the computer and it would take 20 minutes to get back up.

I found out Al was doing that shit on purpose when I had Ant Banks in the studio. I thought it would be cool to get the dude that was making all the beats for Pooh Man. We watched Al. Banks had this thing where he would work at different studios and he would tell the engineer at that studio, ‘You move out the way, I’ll run the session and you just tell me what to do.’ I was getting really upset at Al. We wanted to fuck him up, but I was on some professional shit. But Ant didn’t need much of Al’s help, so we started looping shit and making beats. We developed a new formula. Me, Ant Banks, my guitar player Shorty B, the keyboard player Pee Wee from Digital Underground. We started that formula on Shorty The Pimp and you would hear that funkier sound on the next albums.

When I listen to a song like ‘In The Trunk,’ I think about the fact that I was never a critical favorite. I would never get those reviews or positive write-ups in Right On or Word Up. I wasn’t getting any credit. I would get these terrible reviews about how Too $hort can’t rap. And then I would see whoever had that one big single for the year and people would be like, ‘Oh, that’s the dopest rapper ever!’ I’m doing sold-out shows and going platinum. My thing was I dare you to go on after me on this stage. I’m going to beat the shit out of this crowd. So that’s where ‘In The Trunk’ came from. Whatever that other artists were doing, I would do the opposite. I didn’t care because everybody else was riding around listening to my shit in the trunk. It’s coming out of those amps and the woofers for everyone to hear. I felt like, ‘Now tell everybody how wack Too $hort is.’

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Apr-19-12 03:44 PM

6. " Get in Where You Fit In (1993)"
In response to Reply # 5

Get in Where You Fit In (1993)

“By this time me and Ant Banks were a team. We are in the studio arguing with each other, agreeing with each other…but we had one thing that was unifying us: Clones of Funkenstein. We loved everything George Clinton did. That’s what we were trying to capture on ‘I’m A Player.’ That Parliament Funkadelic sound. Me and Ant Banks agreed on that. We had Shorty B who also played bass and Pee Wee again on the keys. We would just put a bunch of instrumental stuff on the tracks. We would tell the guitar player to play through the whole take…don’t stop even if you fuck up. Then we would argue about how to mix it down.

‘Blowjob Betty’ was just another rendition of ‘Freaky Tales.’ It was from a reggae sample, but it was funky. When I hear the original version of I always love those horns and that bassline. I was listening to a lot of reggae back then. I wish I would have done more stuff like that. We would keep stripping down the music from the bass to the keyboards to the drum machines and to the guitars. Me and Banks would have a field day trying to make all of the parts make sense.

You got Pro Tools now where you can place any sound or line you want together. But back then if you wanted to move a bar or a certain part you had to know how to splice tapes. We were flying in different samples with the S-900 keyboard. But I was totally against the SP-1200. It was too hip-hop *laughs*. Everybody was using the SP, they had the dancers, they had a DJ with two turntables. So whatever all the other rappers were doing I’m not doing it. My whole thing was the bass…that 808. I wanted someone to say, ‘Too $hort, you owe me some new woofers.’”

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Apr-19-12 03:52 PM

7. " Cocktails (1995)"
In response to Reply # 6

Cocktails (1995)

“I made the Cocktails albums in my own studio in Atlanta. We shot the video for the title track, and I’m getting that Midwest love and that Down South love. But I started to wonder why wasn’t 106 KMEL (legendary Bay Area radio station) playing this shit? They sent me back a message saying how we support the local artists, and since you moved away our policy is out-of-sight-out-of-mind. This came from a radio station that came to me when they were changing formats from heavy metal to rap and R&B. They called me and asked if I would come to some of their events and help them get support from the community. And I did it. And I got a lot of radio play from them. So now when Cocktails come out it’s, ‘Nah we can’t play your music because you don’t live here anymore.’ Then there was a song titled ‘Playa Hata’ that had the Luniz saying, ‘That’s why the town got rid of $hort.’ And KMEL had that song in heavy rotation!

So here you have the Luniz who I thought were my little homies and who used to come out to my studio with their manager Chris Hicks and hang out. Chris was a real good friend of mines, too. The whole thing didn’t make any sense. I’m thinking, ‘Damn, you gonna play a song that was dissing me and not play my song?’ That shit sat real bad with me. I waited until the Summer Jam came and I took about 40 niggas up there with me. I knew the Luniz would be there. I knew Chris Hicks was going to be there. We made our point that the Luniz had to apologize. But I was also trying to give a message to the Bay. I wanted people to know that there was no beef…that the radio station wanted to hype up that friction. We told them to bring us the Luniz. Their manager got beat up that da, and the radio station canceled the show before the last two acts could perform, which included E-40.

In the end I got so mad that the next song I did was called ‘That’s Why (The Town Got Rid of $hort)’ and I told everybody the truth. I’m hearing all this stuff about how the Luniz was behind some movement that said if you don’t move we will kill you. I’m like you gotta be joking. The motherfuckers I rolled with ran Oakland. KMEL couldn’t figure out how to handle me. The best they could do was pull a fake phone call to the radio station that had somebody imitating me on some, ‘This is Too $hort…I don’t give a fuck about Summer Jam. If I can’t go onstage, nobody can come onstage.’ They were trying to make it seem like I was dissing E-40! But they failed to realize that there was a time that E-40 was really a drug dealer and most of his allies were the guys who rolled with me. They were selling dope together and we were doing a lot of shit off the clock together.

Me and E-40 were homies. So instead of E-40 going, ‘Fuck $hort,’ he actually called me up and asked why I was on the radio talking shit. E-40 gets to the bottom of it and finds out it was prank. So me and 40 got into the studio together and made a song called ‘Rapper’s Ball,’ which turned out to be a huge hit. All that came out of all the negative shit of them trying to turn us against each other. I later went on the Sway and King Tech morning show on KMEL. It came down to the Luniz, me, and their manager getting together and saying, ‘We are homies…it’s all love.’ Once we got pass that KMEL started playing my record again.

As this was all going on I put out song called ‘Paystyle.’ I was hearing all this talk from some lyricists that I was wack. But at the same time, they are sitting up there praising somebody that was biting off of somebody else! They biting off of A Tribe Called Quest, they biting Pharcyde, all these groups that I liked and listened to. You rapping in a cipher and your style is Q-Tip’s style. How you gonna say I’m wack and you are biting off somebody else? There was a notion at this time that you are not a real rapper if you couldn’t freestyle. I had a problem with people naming it ‘freestyle.’ If they called it off-the-dome rap, that would be cool. But I was 14-15 years old getting paid to rap. I’ve never rapped in my life for free. So that’s how I came up with the title ‘Paystyle.’ I can’t freestyle, but I do a helleva paystyle. I wasn’t trying to impress rappers. I’m like fuck passing the mic. How about passing the mic in front of a crowd? That’s what I was all about.”

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Apr-19-12 03:53 PM

8. ""
In response to Reply # 7
Thu Apr-19-12 04:00 PM by murph71

"The World is Filled"—The Notorious B.I.G. feat. Too Short, Puff Daddy and Carl Thomas (1997)

“Me and BIG had been bumping into each other periodically in Atlanta. And he kept telling me, ‘Man, you got love in Brooklyn.’ But when I would look at Soundscan when it came out the numbers would read 1 million scans with 1000 scans coming from New York *laughs*. You would see 30,000 units being moved in one state and then you look at New York and the whole state only purchased 1000 copies. I just thought New York wasn’t fucking with me. It was the only city where I could walk around and nobody knew who I was. I actually liked New York for that reason. But I later found out that I did have some fans there. Puffy was the one that got at me. He was like, ‘Biggie wants to do a song with you.’ And I was all for it. At the time people were talking that East Coast/West Coast shit, but I was cool with everybody. In Atlanta I had a lot of East Coast friends. I was running real tough with Erick Sermon, Keith Murray, and Redman. They would come around my house a lot. So when it came time to work with Bad Boy, I just felt let’s go kick it. It was no big deal. That was a Bad Boy, Death Row thing, not an East Coast/West Coast thing.

Working on ‘The World is Filled’ with BIG was a great experience. I remember that session very well. I wasn’t there when Carl Thomas did the hook. But it was the first time I ever saw that technique that some rappers do where they write a rap without pen and paper and just spit that shit off the top of their head. I never saw anybody do that. I’m like, ‘How is BIG doing this? Where is the paper? Everybody uses paper.’ But they’re like, ‘Nah…not BIG.’ That just blew my mind. I would later see Jay-Z do the same thing. And Puffy was very insecure about rapping on that song. This is when he was starting to get his flow together. He needed the reassurance of me saying, ‘Yeah Puffy, it’s cool…it’s cool.’”

For more on Too $hort recording with Jay-Z and E-40, making a comeback with "Blow The Whistle" and hooking up with Wiz Khalifa go to:

http://www.vibe.com/photo-galleries/too-short-runs-down-his-entire-catalogue

Record Playa
Member since Apr 29th 2007
2925 posts
Mon Apr-23-12 05:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
37. "The Ghetto is "15's in the trunk" music. Beautiful sub bass"
In response to Reply # 4

murph71
23113 posts
Wed Apr-25-12 11:40 AM

38. "RE: The Ghetto is "15's in the trunk" music. Beautiful sub bass"
In response to Reply # 37

Yep.....

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Thu Apr-19-12 04:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "One of my favorites. Greatly appreciated fam."
In response to Reply # 0

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Apr-19-12 05:12 PM

10. "RE: One of my favorites. Greatly appreciated fam."
In response to Reply # 9

Thanks homie....

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Thu Apr-19-12 06:12 PM

11. "RE: One of my favorites. Greatly appreciated fam."
In response to Reply # 10

Like I've said many times here, his run from born to mack through album number 10 is hard to beat. That was an amazing run IMO.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

murph71
23113 posts
Thu Apr-19-12 06:15 PM

12. "RE: One of my favorites. Greatly appreciated fam."
In response to Reply # 11

>Like I've said many times here, his run from born to mack
>through album number 10 is hard to beat. That was an amazing
>run IMO.

It really was....Both on influence and sales....

aolhater
Member since Oct 14th 2002
1332 posts
Thu Apr-19-12 07:57 PM

13. "i will be sitting down and reading this"
In response to Reply # 0

i'll say it again ..you need to put all these in book form ...do it like stephen king sell them one chapter at a time

great job

*professional lurker*

murph71
23113 posts
Sat Apr-21-12 11:01 AM

25. "RE: i will be sitting down and reading this"
In response to Reply # 13

>i'll say it again ..you need to put all these in book form
>...do it like stephen king sell them one chapter at a time
>
>
>
>great job

Yep....I'm on it....

And thanks...

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Fri Apr-20-12 12:35 AM

14. "the Man who Brought Rudy Ray Moore Phrases back"
In response to Reply # 0

and the Man who doesn't get his due for being a godfather toward the west coast sound and also this cat was about real instrumentation in his music.

he had that ability to get it gangsta and also make it accessible and yet still be behind the curtain. Too Short's story is unsung when you get down to it because he has never ever really blown up and yet he is known.

got much respect for how he did his thing and yet he never stepped on nobody's toes.

also dug storys about him and Gary Payton and also something there with Jason Kidd as well. all from the same area.

he had the prototype for the west coast sound and yet he had that Miami Bass thing going on which wouldn't have been out of place for a 2 Live crew album or a trick daddy album and yet he was very west coast and yet you can hear somebody like scarface grooving to his stuff as well down south.

good job Murph.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

murph71
23113 posts
Sat Apr-21-12 11:00 AM

24. "RE: the Man who Brought Rudy Ray Moore Phrases back"
In response to Reply # 14

Thanks.....

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6576 posts
Fri Apr-20-12 01:10 AM

15. "damn good work"
In response to Reply # 0

this has me up late on youtube listening to some Short Dog classics thinking about the good old days.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

murph71
23113 posts
Sat Apr-21-12 04:52 PM

28. "RE: damn good work"
In response to Reply # 15

>this has me up late on youtube listening to some Short Dog
>classics thinking about the good old days.

Yep yep....Thanks homie...

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Fri Apr-20-12 01:53 AM

16. "Fantastic piece"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks for doing it.

murph71
23113 posts
Sat Apr-21-12 11:01 AM

26. "RE: Fantastic piece"
In response to Reply # 16

>Thanks for doing it.

From the heart homie....Thanks....True words...

bucknchange
Member since May 07th 2003
3590 posts
Fri Apr-20-12 05:01 AM

17. "this should be in print."
In response to Reply # 0

too $hort is another one who doesn't get the credit he deserves.
the elephant in the room is east coast bias.

murph71
23113 posts
Fri Apr-20-12 11:00 AM

18. "RE: this should be in print."
In response to Reply # 17

>too $hort is another one who doesn't get the credit he
>deserves.
>the elephant in the room is east coast bias.

Yep....

revolution75
Member since May 07th 2003
3372 posts
Fri Apr-20-12 12:09 PM

19. "Great stuff but...."
In response to Reply # 0

Did I miss him talking about Gettin It or did he wanna skip it?
The musicianship on that album is stellar!!

Eclectic Soul/Sunday, 2-4 PM est/89.3 WCSB.ORG

murph71
23113 posts
Fri Apr-20-12 12:13 PM

20. "RE: Great stuff but...."
In response to Reply # 19

>Did I miss him talking about Gettin It or did he wanna skip
>it?
>The musicianship on that album is stellar!!

Yep...we had to skip some albums...We would have been interviewing dude 2 days straight...lol

judono
Member since Nov 11th 2004
4417 posts
Fri Apr-20-12 10:52 PM

21. "man, posts like this are what makes OKP &the Lesson dope"
In response to Reply # 0

thanks for posting this dude. i really appreciate this. i miss the dope in depth interviews like these. good lookin out. entertained.

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

murph71
23113 posts
Sat Apr-21-12 11:03 AM

27. "RE: man, posts like this are what makes OKP &the Lesson dope"
In response to Reply # 21

>thanks for posting this dude. i really appreciate this.
> i miss the dope in depth interviews like these. good
>lookin out. entertained.

And that's why I post these joints...For u guys (and dames).....Yep...

Thank u....

Bblock
Member since Feb 20th 2012
6243 posts
Sat Apr-21-12 12:11 AM

22. "dope"
In response to Reply # 0

life always offers you a 2nd chance...it's called tomorrow. use it wisely

murph71
23113 posts
Sat Apr-21-12 09:17 AM

23. "RE: dope"
In response to Reply # 22

Thanks...

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Apr-21-12 07:26 PM

29. "I saw Too Short when I was 12 years old on the Eazy-Duz-It Tour in 89"
In response to Reply # 0

at the Philadelphia Spectrum.

Besides PE & NWA that was the dude I was trying to see most, I'd been rocking Born to Mack & Life Is.... that year (initially because like 2 Live Crew/Ice-T/NWA it was so explicit).

But while Ice-T & 2 Live sorta faded out of my listening rotation, those Short records (Freaky Tales, Dope Fiend Beat, Cusswords, Don't Fight The Feeling, Life Is...) *still hold up* more than twenty years later.

I mean I literally just threw some shit on while reading this & felt that bass/808 with the stacked/echo-chamber vocal (no one will ever convince me that Pac didn't hear Short while in Oakland & then run with that approach).

Anyway, the Spectrum tried to boo Short off the stage.

Folks tossing shit at em, fights, Short's people antagonizing the nasty-ass crowd while Short just walked back & forth (in a cocksure laid-back manner Jay-Z would later build on) kicking his raps not giving a fuck.

I couldn't really understand why or what was happening then as a kid but I guess Short (who by no coincidence was big in the midwest then later the south) was one of the early examples of a 'regional rapper' even though he was platinum & even though rap was too new/niche-based-in-the-mainstream to even be able to tell the difference yet.

But it's also likely not a coincidence that Master P was in Oakland before he came back down south, there was a DIY blueprint in the Bay that could be forged in other ignored parts of the country.

All that to say that this motherfucka is an essential figure in rap music history, he found his lane & continually worked toward perfecting it.

Like AC/DC in rock music, he/they will always be too crass lyrically & simple musically to get critics to write manifestos on them like they might Elvis Costello or Common but the bottom line is both are likely more important to their genre plus figured a way to boil down the music to its base/most-simple-yet-powerful elements and then respected their audience enough to give them what they wanted while staying true to themselves.

murph71
23113 posts
Sun Apr-22-12 08:50 AM

32. "RE: I saw Too Short when I was 12 years old on the Eazy-Duz-It Tour in 8..."
In response to Reply # 29

Boom....great shit Bomb.....

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Apr-22-12 08:36 PM

35. "thanks brotha, keep up the good work"
In response to Reply # 32

>
>
>Boom....great shit Bomb.....

By the way, who's the top name on your 'wish list' for Full Clip?

Hov?

murph71
23113 posts
Sun Apr-22-12 09:28 PM

36. "RE: thanks brotha, keep up the good work"
In response to Reply # 35
Sun Apr-22-12 09:31 PM by murph71

>>
>>
>>Boom....great shit Bomb.....
>
>By the way, who's the top name on your 'wish list' for Full
>Clip?
>
>Hov?

I got 5....

Nas
Jay-Z
Prince
Dr. Dre
Mary J. Blige

If I get any of those (especially u know who), I'll be good for the next decade...

Record Playa
Member since Apr 29th 2007
2925 posts
Sat Apr-21-12 09:46 PM

30. "Buy U Some is a fuckin mean ass track"
In response to Reply # 0

It was "too good"

murph71
23113 posts
Sun Apr-22-12 07:16 PM

34. "RE: Buy U Some is a fuckin mean ass track"
In response to Reply # 30

> It was "too good"

yep...that was heat....

TRENDone
Charter member
15616 posts
Sun Apr-22-12 01:01 AM

31. "thanks murph"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego State's holy trinity of sports:
Kawhi Leonard
Marshall Faulk
Tony Gwynn (RIP)

#Aztec4Life

murph71
23113 posts
Sun Apr-22-12 08:52 AM

33. "RE: thanks murph"
In response to Reply # 31

No...thank u....

Lobby The Lesson topic #2688231 Previous topic | Next topic