Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2686097

Subject: "Nas explains how he remains relevant (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Sat Apr-14-12 08:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Nas explains how he remains relevant (swipe)"

http://www.hiphopdx.com/m/index.php?s=news&id=19377

Nas has been in the Hip Hop game for over two decades, all because he hasn’t fallen out of love with rapping. During an interview with Muve Music while at SXSW, Esco explained how many people think they’re relevant just because they exist, but that he stays important to Hip Hop because he focuses on being honest with himself.

“So many people think they’re relevant because they’re still alive. That’s not the case. Just because they stay alive, doesn’t make you relevant. Your music should mean something, and that’s what I always try to do. I don’t work hard on anything other than being me, and if that resonates and they say that’s relevant, that’s official. I get that question from so many people, ‘What makes you so relevant today when they’re not relevant?’”

Nas had released his latest single “The Don” the day before the interview, speaking on the immediate effect that it’s had on New York and U.K. markets.

“‘The Don’ dropped last night in New York and the U.K. It’s been really big. It’s just about music and the business and showing a lot of little guys out there that you can still say what you mean, feel free to do whatever you want to do and be happy. I just feel good to wake up and say, ‘I want to make music and somebody wants to hear it.’ It feels good that I still want to make music. That’s it. I don’t want any other accolades. I love that I love the music so much that I still want to continue make it.”

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
W
Apr 14th 2012
Relevant to who? About 3 people on OKP and Kelis' bank account?
Apr 14th 2012
Look it's condom being a fag in a Nas thread!
Apr 14th 2012
lol
Apr 15th 2012
LMFAO
Apr 15th 2012
Damn mate
Apr 16th 2012
      ^ i see what you did there, 100% Dundee
Apr 16th 2012
lol
Apr 14th 2012
you're the one with the man's name on your chest. relevant to who?
Apr 15th 2012
i like the cats music and he is One of the best ever in rap,however
Apr 15th 2012
He still gets gold records
Apr 15th 2012
      people like to ignore facts for their emotions.
Apr 15th 2012
      so does Snoop Dogg and until a few years ago LL COOL J as well
Apr 15th 2012
           But don't you think there's something to following one's
Apr 16th 2012
                please don't insult miles davis, paul simon and marvin gaye like that
Apr 16th 2012
I like Nas as much as the next man, but he's really not relevant in toda...
Apr 15th 2012
not that i liked it but em's last album was huge
Apr 15th 2012
      Em still counts, however his prime and peak IMO was 99-02
Apr 16th 2012
           agreed just saying dude still sells a lot of records
Apr 16th 2012
no mention of conceiving album titles...
Apr 15th 2012
Geez, tough crowd
Apr 15th 2012
RE: Nas explains how he remains relevant (swipe)
Apr 15th 2012
RE: Nas explains how he remains relevant (swipe)
Apr 15th 2012
But everytime Nas drops a song it trends on twitter.
Apr 15th 2012
lol... man, it's funny to see people react to his career
Apr 15th 2012
      every single time
Apr 15th 2012
relevant is a term that needs to stop being used
Apr 15th 2012
the alliteration is killing me
Apr 15th 2012
I was just going to post the same shit
Apr 15th 2012
      the irony is that if Nas wasn't 'relevant'
Apr 16th 2012
I just wanna hear him rhyme over some Large Professor beats. n/m
Apr 15th 2012
someone please get Def Jam to release this album NOW!!!!!
Apr 15th 2012

DolphinTeef
Member since Oct 25th 2009
7027 posts
Sat Apr-14-12 09:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "W"
In response to Reply # 0

CondoM
Member since Aug 20th 2006
9881 posts
Sat Apr-14-12 10:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Relevant to who? About 3 people on OKP and Kelis' bank account?"
In response to Reply # 0

He needs to quit rapping and get a real job.

http://www.last.fm/user/_CondoM_/

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18637 posts
Sat Apr-14-12 11:11 PM

3. "Look it's condom being a fag in a Nas thread!"
In response to Reply # 2

Corny ass mufucker. Go listen to some Australian rapping about cracking open cans of Fosters and shit. Dickhead.

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 01:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "lol"
In response to Reply # 3

-------------------------
“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 07:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "LMFAO"
In response to Reply # 3

>Corny ass mufucker. Go listen to some Australian rapping
>about cracking open cans of Fosters and shit. Dickhead.

I would love to hear rap about that subject, for real

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Mon Apr-16-12 12:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
27. "Damn mate"
In response to Reply # 3

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Mon Apr-16-12 09:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
32. "^ i see what you did there, 100% Dundee"
In response to Reply # 27

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Sat Apr-14-12 11:45 PM

4. "lol"
In response to Reply # 2

Since 1976

k0la
Member since Jan 04th 2004
1353 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 12:04 PM

24. "you're the one with the man's name on your chest. relevant to who?"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun Apr-15-12 12:09 PM by k0la

edit: fuck, i fell for the trollery. i always told myself to avoid doing that.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 01:58 AM

6. "i like the cats music and he is One of the best ever in rap,however"
In response to Reply # 0

he ain't counted in a decade and nobody has been checking for his gimmick titles and his kissing up to the camel. nobody is sweating Nas including Nas.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 09:28 AM

16. "He still gets gold records"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun Apr-15-12 09:33 AM by go mack

without radio play and for a 38 years old in hip hop is still being asked to hop on tracks with the young stars so can't say he's doing too bad

Also, ESPN is choosing to use a couple new Nas songs for their NFL draft coverage, that's kind of cool beings supposedly nobody under 30 knows who he is.

mwasi kitoko
Member since Jul 15th 2007
60768 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 09:45 AM

17. "people like to ignore facts for their emotions."
In response to Reply # 16

www.royallegacy.org
http://therapfest.com/up-next-artists/

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 10:28 AM

19. "so does Snoop Dogg and until a few years ago LL COOL J as well"
In response to Reply # 16

and the point is? Nas is respected, however he has had a Hall Pass for a decade now. nelly got a song on ESPN as well and he ain't counted in 6 years.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Mon Apr-16-12 12:00 AM

26. "But don't you think there's something to following one's"
In response to Reply # 19

full career? I mean regardless if an artist has 100 million or 20 fans they should follow some creative stream/journey. Personally speaking regardless if radio is checking for Nas or not, I always check out his new stuff. I loved his last album with Damien Marley (A lot of ppl on here eventually came around on it too) and every album he does even if it's not amazing he at least has a few songs that are great. Nas does seem to be following a musical journey, with plenty of highs and lows but regardless I find looking at an artist's discography as a whole can bring a whole new appreciation to not just the artist but music as a whole. It's one of the things that gives me so much appreciation to artists like Miles Davis, Paul Simon or Marvin Gaye. The way they change, the things that follow them throughout, the things that they did for a period, etc.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Mon Apr-16-12 12:36 AM

28. "please don't insult miles davis, paul simon and marvin gaye like that"
In response to Reply # 26

Nas can't see none of those guys even with 3d glasses on in High def. he had a strong 90's era and been hit and miss since. problem he faces is that while he is one of the best MC's Ever IMO, he also fell off and had his time. right now you can get Nas for fire sale prices because he played himself out.

and also unlike those cats you mentioned they are true great artists and were dominant for a particular time in there respective styles of music making, Nas never was dominant, but steady and had a chance at more, however he stopped making interesting music a long time ago.

Nas been living off his rep for over a decade.

Poetic_Truth
Member since Jan 16th 2008
8625 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 02:11 AM

7. "I like Nas as much as the next man, but he's really not relevant in toda..."
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry, JayZ mastered his philosophy. Tho hes getting collab cuts wit ross, etc. he's not really relevant. Almost in the same sense that Eminem is no longer relevant. His last albums sell like hot cakes but nobody really talks about him. Living off legacy.

--------------

makaveli
Charter member
16305 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 10:55 AM

21. "not that i liked it but em's last album was huge"
In response to Reply # 7

not sure how he can be irrelevant.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Mon Apr-16-12 12:38 AM

29. "Em still counts, however his prime and peak IMO was 99-02"
In response to Reply # 21

and while he still sells and has his pass, its not like he is talked about as that dude. right now Rick Ross, Kayne,Lil Wayne and Drake got the pulse.

makaveli
Charter member
16305 posts
Mon Apr-16-12 08:47 AM

30. "agreed just saying dude still sells a lot of records"
In response to Reply # 29

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

david bammer
Member since Jun 20th 2010
4467 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 04:09 AM

8. "no mention of conceiving album titles..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Apr-15-12 04:15 AM by david bammer

to evoke the impression of a "return" to the spirit of your debut or early career?
all done in an attempt to erase the memory of the last dud you released and try to regain consumer confidence in purchasing your creatively descending product?

kwez
Member since Aug 10th 2003
11776 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 05:19 AM

9. "Geez, tough crowd"
In response to Reply # 0

I still want Nas to go back to his IWW phase and just have fun with it.

Mr Tan
Member since Feb 16th 2009
545 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 07:40 AM

10. "RE: Nas explains how he remains relevant (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

Wow, the hate is immense. Very sad.

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 10:48 AM

20. "RE: Nas explains how he remains relevant (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 10

....yeah, it's crazy...I mean, you have a cat still spittin better than 99% of so called MC's...who cares about his age...talent is all that ever matters...duke is still a beast...long live Hip Hop...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Brotha Sun
Member since Dec 31st 2009
6778 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 07:48 AM

11. "But everytime Nas drops a song it trends on twitter."
In response to Reply # 0

You old niggas need to stop trying to dictate what's relevant. No disrespect but be real.

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 08:00 AM

14. "lol... man, it's funny to see people react to his career"
In response to Reply # 11

>You old niggas need to stop trying to dictate what's
>relevant. No disrespect but be real.

Nas should have been DONE years ago, according to so many, but he still speaks and people pay attention.

mwasi kitoko
Member since Jul 15th 2007
60768 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 08:51 AM

15. "every single time"
In response to Reply # 14

>Nas should have been DONE years ago, according to so many, but
>he still speaks and people pay attention.

it's like it literally burns some people up that people still care when he rhymes or does an interview or anything

www.royallegacy.org
http://therapfest.com/up-next-artists/

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 07:58 AM

12. " relevant is a term that needs to stop being used"
In response to Reply # 0

you niggers just use that shit to discredit a rapper with more ability than the peenpinchers you live to day in and day out

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 09:56 AM

18. "the alliteration is killing me"
In response to Reply # 12

>more ability than the peenpinchers you live to day in and day
>out

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 11:10 AM

22. "I was just going to post the same shit"
In response to Reply # 12

Relevant is such a stupid ass term in hip-hop and people don't actually break down what the shit means.

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Mon Apr-16-12 09:11 AM

31. "the irony is that if Nas wasn't 'relevant'"
In response to Reply # 22

people would be ignoring him.

he'd be milk carton status.

kelvinmercerlookalike
Member since Jan 08th 2006
6025 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 11:55 AM

23. "I just wanna hear him rhyme over some Large Professor beats. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

*CROCKA*

word booty.

HSUBAKCITS

www.smokingsection.net

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/chowyunskinny/Gold%20Chef/iron_chef.jpg

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 11:34 PM

25. "someone please get Def Jam to release this album NOW!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm tired of waiting for this.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

Lobby The Lesson topic #2686097 Previous topic | Next topic