Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2685198

Subject: "Bill Adler speaking on early tension between Run & LL" Previous topic | Next topic
ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 03:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bill Adler speaking on early tension between Run & LL"

the changeing of the gaurd in hip hop has always been interesting to me wether it was Melle Mel/KRS or anyone else you have the elder statesman refusing to give up their crown even though a newer and fresher style is breathing down his neck.

This gives some great insight as to how things went down behind closed doors for 2 teamates playin on the same team

http://www.egotripland.com/def-jam-publicist-bill-adler-early-years/

How did Run and LL Cool J get along?

Bill Adler: You ever see the movie Downhill Racer? It’s with Robert Redford, and he’s a downhill racer at a very high level. And at the end of the movie he wins this tough race. And he’s crossed the finish line and he’s breathing heavily and he’s smiling and he’s accepting congratulations. And it looks like he’s won. But the very next guy coming down the hill is moving at a record pace. So Redford is interrupted in the middle of his so-called victory lap. He’s thinking: this motherfucker might beat me. And he turns around and the next guy down the slopes is just about to beat him, but he trips and falls. And so Redford kind of breathes a sigh of relief, and goes on and takes his congratulations. That scene is a lot like what Run felt with LL. Run was Redford. LL was the next guy on the slopes. They were very competitive. And I think they had mixed feelings for each other. I think that LL admired Run a lot and looked up to him a lot. But also he was endlessly ambitious and was gonna do what he could to be king of the hill.

They used to battle in the office when we were at 1133 Broadway. This is in the middle of the day. These were both very kind of jumpy, high-energy guys. They called Run “Run” for a reason. He had that kind of energy. LL at 16 was jumping out of his skin. So the two of them in the same place at the same time – our little two-room office wasn’t big enough to hold the two of ’em. One day they started snapping on each other. And they went from room to room finishing each other’s snaps. It couldn’t be a two-line rap. If one of them came up with one line the next guy would come back with a rhyming insult to the first line. That’s how fast it was. And it was a game but it was pretty serious too. I don’t remember exactly how it ended. LL I think left the room and Run came over to me and said, “I don’t like that man.” But you could tell there was something in that. There was some recognition of young LL Cool J’s skills even in that statement. In the Def Jam book there’s a picture of a Rush/Def Jam basketball team at Madison Square Garden. They played a little game between halves, a charity basketball game. And you see LL standing next to Run. When we set up the picture they were separate. And then Run walked over to to LL and he said, “Let me stand next to my son”!

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

1619 the 1st slaves are brought to American shores
thus begins the phrase “mine is better than yours?” (huh?)
forced to serve-too broke to by freedom
the systematic rape of African culture has begun
little time

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Almost sounds like some Kobe n Shaq
Apr 12th 2012
difference being Shaq was the better of the two from 96-05
Apr 12th 2012
i can see that
Apr 12th 2012
I NEVER knew DMC wasn't with Def Jam til 1-2 years ago
Apr 12th 2012
right logically u just associate them w DJ
Apr 12th 2012
plus they were under Rush Mangement as well
Apr 13th 2012
      80% of the game back in the day was under rush management
Apr 13th 2012
           RE: 80% of the game back in the day was under rush management
Apr 13th 2012
                EPMD?
Apr 13th 2012
                RE: 80% of the game back in the day was under rush management
Apr 14th 2012
Shit i never knew that
Apr 13th 2012
damn, i woulda lost that trivia question
Apr 13th 2012
Profile locked them up into a multi-album deal really early on
Apr 12th 2012
RE: Profile locked them up into a multi-album deal really early on
Apr 13th 2012
      and DJ Quik who was signed to Profile said that the money
Apr 13th 2012
EDIT:response to the wrong poster /I knew that... and had to pay for it....
Apr 13th 2012
      I would of been ready to firebomb that bar
Apr 13th 2012
      Wooooooooow!!! LMAO I woulda been hella mad
Apr 13th 2012

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 04:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Almost sounds like some Kobe n Shaq"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 09:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "difference being Shaq was the better of the two from 96-05"
In response to Reply # 1

whereas LL caught up to Run in a far less time. i think Run wanted to test the solo waters however I don't know if he could have pulled it off.

thing is I love stories like this because it only makes LL's argument as the GOAT stand even more out, because he had to spit up against in his prime Run and not many cats could do that.

Run DMC ran things for a minute, however LL was his own creation..

LL and RUN didn't wait for either one to fall off or what have you they were battling from the get go they way it use to be back in the day.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

aolhater
Member since Oct 14th 2002
1332 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 05:37 PM

2. "i can see that"
In response to Reply # 0

both young LL being credited with being the first star of def jam
the man who built def jam
when def jam was started with run dmc money
i always wondered why run dmc never signed to def jam

*professional lurker*

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 05:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I NEVER knew DMC wasn't with Def Jam til 1-2 years ago"
In response to Reply # 2

That shit for real blew my mind. I KNEEEEEW they were on there, with the Russell Simmons connection n all else. Then I got that Def Jam 25 year album or whatever and was like "wait...seriously....why isn't there a SINGLE Run DMC song on here?????" then I looked it up and it said they were with Profile.

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 05:52 PM

4. "right logically u just associate them w DJ"
In response to Reply # 3

I think they were already signed to Profile by the time DJ came about tho

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

1619 the 1st slaves are brought to American shores
thus begins the phrase “mine is better than yours?” (huh?)
forced to serve-too broke to by freedom
the systematic rape of African culture has begun
little time

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 04:25 PM

13. "plus they were under Rush Mangement as well"
In response to Reply # 4

>I think they were already signed to Profile by the time DJ
>came about tho

aolhater
1332 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 05:50 PM

15. "80% of the game back in the day was under rush management "
In response to Reply # 13

rakim was even under rush management matter of fact the only group that wasnt and was big at the time (that i can think of) was nwa.

*professional lurker*

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 06:11 PM

16. "RE: 80% of the game back in the day was under rush management "
In response to Reply # 15

>rakim was even under rush management matter of fact the only
>group that wasnt and was big at the time (that i can think
>of) was nwa.

Nah, basically the only ones I can think of not on Def Jam were Eric & Ra, Whodini & Run-DMC.

Ice-T. BDP. Too Short. Salt n Pepa. Kid N Play. 2 Live Crew. I mean, we could be here all day but I hear your point.

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 06:24 PM

17. "EPMD?"
In response to Reply # 16

Before they were on Def Jam, I think at least "Unfinished Business" carried the RUSH management logo (maybe "Strictly Business" as well). I can't check now...

aolhater
1332 posts
Sat Apr-14-12 12:20 AM

18. "RE: 80% of the game back in the day was under rush management "
In response to Reply # 16

kurtis blow,nice and smooth,epmd,will smith (yes he started with rush management),big daddy kane,de la soul,tribe called quest,brand nubian yeah rush had the game on lock for a long time

*professional lurker*

icecold21
Member since Jan 18th 2008
8433 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 10:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "Shit i never knew that"
In response to Reply # 3

kysersozey
Charter member
13602 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 05:35 PM

14. "damn, i woulda lost that trivia question"
In response to Reply # 3

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 09:34 PM

6. "Profile locked them up into a multi-album deal really early on"
In response to Reply # 2

Around 1988, they even had a contract dispute with Profile to try to get off the label to sign with Def Jam. They ended the dispute by signing another 10 album (!?!?!?!) deal with them.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

aolhater
1332 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 01:27 AM

7. "RE: Profile locked them up into a multi-album deal really early on"
In response to Reply # 6

10 albums , damn.......so they still owe albums to profile

*professional lurker*

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 11:12 AM

11. "and DJ Quik who was signed to Profile said that the money"
In response to Reply # 7

Run DMC Brought in, helped for his budget there. He DJ'd a party at there crib or something and word got back and its one of the storys of how he ended up on Profile.

truth is I don't think RUn DMC would have gotten the same response had they been on def jam. something tells me the best thing happen that could have

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 05:35 AM

8. "EDIT:response to the wrong poster /I knew that... and had to pay for it...."
In response to Reply # 2
Fri Apr-13-12 05:36 AM by Jakob Hellberg

I think I've mentioned this before here but I was at a music-quiz at a pub once and one of the questions was about RUN DMC and a follow-up question was which label they were on. I assumed this was a trick-question because "everyone" thinks it's Def Jam whereas I know it was Profile so I was like "Ha, ha, I'm the only one that will know this".

Turns out that the correct answer was Def Jam and my complaints didn't help, my team lost out on a night of free beer with half a point. Next week, the game-leader admitted that I was right; he had checked (he could have done that the same night we lost but whatever) and bought me a beer as a consolation but that was too late; we should have won that shit!!!

debo40oz
Member since Apr 16th 2003
4081 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 07:11 AM

9. "I would of been ready to firebomb that bar"
In response to Reply # 8

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 04:18 PM

12. "Wooooooooow!!! LMAO I woulda been hella mad"
In response to Reply # 8

Fuck a beer, give me my bragging rights!

Lobby The Lesson topic #2685198 Previous topic | Next topic