Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2685037

Subject: "I never got the Fuss about Classic Pop Tracks" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 10:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I never got the Fuss about Classic Pop Tracks"

speak on it because there has to be some songs that were huge that you just never got into or it feels like somebody forced upon your ears to like.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
classic is classic
Apr 12th 2012
i didn't ask for a study in english 101 i asked a question is there
Apr 12th 2012
      you weren't clear on that at all
Apr 12th 2012
      for some songs context is pretty important
Apr 12th 2012
           i think context is always important
Apr 12th 2012
           It's the harmonies and the chord structure.
Apr 12th 2012
Dancing Queen
Apr 12th 2012
ditto. once on Youtube
Apr 12th 2012
foh, all ABBA is untouchable
Apr 12th 2012
I grew up hating ABBA
Apr 12th 2012

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 10:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "classic is classic"
In response to Reply # 0

if something has stood the test of time it deserves credti just for being good beyond genre

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 10:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i didn't ask for a study in english 101 i asked a question is there "
In response to Reply # 1

a song you never got the hype about it being a classic?

like for me something about "Louie,Louie" just never got to me like that.

and I can take or leave "feelings" though it is huge.

"i want to hold your hand" is a cute track, but I don't get the hype. you feel me?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Selah
16484 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 11:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "you weren't clear on that at all"
In response to Reply # 2

you seemed to be speaking more on POP as a genre than specific pop songs that you feel are oversold as classic (on some "supposed classics I don't care for")

that said it's clearer now

carry on....

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 12:00 PM

5. "for some songs context is pretty important"
In response to Reply # 2

>like for me something about "Louie,Louie" just never got to me
>like that.

I happen to love 'Louie Louie' regardless of context, but it was really (in the Kingsmen iteration) one of the first garage-rock singles, very different from anythinng else on the charts when it hit.

Maybe you'd like Richard Berry's original better? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-2CKsaq5r8 - it has a classic doo wop vocal and RnB rhythm, but a proto-funk chicken scratch electric guitar part that sounds way ahead of its time.

Every once in a while I'll hear a new version of it that knocks me out - the other week my brother gave me a 1966 or so version by a bad called the Gurus that Balkanize by doing it in 9/8 with a balalaika or something playing the lead. Very cool.

>"i want to hold your hand" is a cute track, but I don't get
>the hype. you feel me?

Guitar tone, I guess? I dunno. I kinda feel the same way. The other day though I was reading Positively 4th St. and there's a scene in which someone recounts being on a road trip with Bob Dylan the first time they heard it played on the radio, and he freaked out over it, repeating 'fuck, man, what the fuck WAS that?' over and over. SO who knows, maybe the context of what made it so shocking is there but I don't have it at my fingertips, and I'm not going to do a pop chart examination right now.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

Selah
16484 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 12:18 PM

7. "i think context is always important"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu Apr-12-12 12:48 PM by Selah

a song comes out during a slice of time, how does it compare to what is the current sound

is it derivative?

is it something new?

moving forward, what does the song have to keep folks listening to it?

there is a lot of talk here about something sounded dated....but what about something just being catchy?

or what about it bringing out feelings of nostalgia (the times when it was released, what you were doing when you first heard it)? of course those who were there won't feel this and maybe this is why folks often "don't get it" about certain songs, maybe sometimes you just had to be there and there are still enough around for the song to still get played

when i listen to some older music (pop, R&B, hiphop) and it's pretty bad compared to what I've liked subsequently - based on my tastes now - but for their time that stuff was great.

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 01:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "It's the harmonies and the chord structure."
In response to Reply # 5

>>"i want to hold your hand" is a cute track, but I don't get
>>the hype. you feel me?
>
>Guitar tone, I guess? I dunno. I kinda feel the same way.

People weren't doin' it like that. More on that Dylan response, he mentions it in his quote on it: "They were doing things nobody was doing. Their chords were outrageous, just outrageous, and their harmonies made it all valid."

Not to mention, everyone thought they were saying "I get high."

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

debo40oz
Member since Apr 16th 2003
4081 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 11:16 AM

4. "Dancing Queen"
In response to Reply # 0

is my least favorite song of all time. It just sounds horrible in everyway to me.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 12:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "ditto. once on Youtube"
In response to Reply # 4

someone was doing a review/walkthrough of a Volvo they were selling, and they turned on the radio, and that song came up

first I thought it was ironic (they both well-known Swedish exports)
secondly I was like... "GODDAMN I'M GLAD I WASN'T AROUND FOR THAT SHIT"

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 12:26 PM

8. "foh, all ABBA is untouchable"
In response to Reply # 4

even their lesser-known shit

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 12:40 PM

9. "I grew up hating ABBA"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu Apr-12-12 12:41 PM by Jakob Hellberg

In kindergarten in sweden in the late 70's-early 80's, you were either an ABBA fan or a Kiss fan. Needless to say, I choose Kiss, not that I had heard them or anything but they looked cool. I don't remember much from that time for obvious reasons, just that Björn Ulvaeus ridiculous smile pissed me off and the way the whole band looked was just SO off-putting.

I still think his stupid smile and their general image prevented them from being viewed as well-crafted, self-contained POP like Elton John, Wings, Billy Joel, ELO, 10cc, Bee Gees etc. Instead they were lumped in with Boney M, Osmonds, Bay City Rollers and other, more "product" type of acts due to their silly look when they were a self-contained band to the core.

Basically, they had no feeling for what was "correct" or not imagewise but that is to be expected of a swedish 70's band with roots in "entertainment-orchestras" (typical look: http://mimg.ugo.com/201102/6/7/6/171676/cuts/schytts_480_poster.jpg). On the other hand, it made them cult amongst kids and gays so I guess it helped them in a way too

As for the music, I only like a few songs; many of their hits honestly sound either like some euro-schlager (think Waterloo, Ring, Ring, SOS, Fernando etc.) or some Andrew Loyd Webber shit (Money money, Thank you for the music etc.)... Lousy stuff IMO and not good pop either...

Lobby The Lesson topic #2685037 Previous topic | Next topic