Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2684653

Subject: "Alright, it's 2012. What's the sound of Hip Hop now?" Previous topic | Next topic
BlackNAlwaysProud
Member since Apr 02nd 2012
95 posts
Wed Apr-11-12 02:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Alright, it's 2012. What's the sound of Hip Hop now?"

I'm talking about the here and now. What's the current sound of Hip Hop? Hip Hop is always changing and never remaining still, and it's been a long time since I've really kept up with anything new in detail outside of a song or two by new artist but what I'm asking is, what's really the good stuff and the creme of the crop of what's out today by the new artist. And when I say new artist, I'm talking bout artist that have just started releasing either mixtapes or an album within the last year?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Lex Luger-type beats, Rick Ross-type rhymes
Apr 11th 2012
Ross, Drake, Kanye, probably the most influential commercially now
Apr 12th 2012
I challenge that as of now....there isn't one. (sorta detailed)
Apr 11th 2012
Wild, we said a lot of the same things, even though I didn't see your
Apr 11th 2012
Yeah, I can understand that. Interesting.
Apr 12th 2012
Great question. I'd break it down like this (hella detailed.....)
Apr 11th 2012
This is interesting as well. I see what you're saying.
Apr 12th 2012
beats and rhymes any way you can get em
Apr 12th 2012
truth
Apr 12th 2012
loud as fuck quick drills of hi-hats
Apr 12th 2012
its been OOONTZ-i-fied.. thats for sure
Apr 12th 2012
Apr 12th 2012

CMcMurtry
Member since Nov 28th 2002
17053 posts
Wed Apr-11-12 02:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Lex Luger-type beats, Rick Ross-type rhymes"
In response to Reply # 0

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 02:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Ross, Drake, Kanye, probably the most influential commercially now"
In response to Reply # 1

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Wed Apr-11-12 06:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I challenge that as of now....there isn't one. (sorta detailed)"
In response to Reply # 0

When I think of the sound on the time, I think...

What are the big artists doing...and are the smaller ones following that?

The last crop of big albums go in different directions. Wayne,Drake,The Throne,Wale,Wiz,Common...NONE of those albums have the same sound, only thing close is maybe what T-Minus is doing, but I don't believe he has a sound (yet) either (tho I'd be surprised if he isn't selling 20 beats that sound like HYFR & The Motto right now).

Who are the "super-producers" making? Or who is hot right now on beats.

For some reason all the super producers went into hiding...
Swizz barely drops music (if I married Alicia Keys...I wouldn't either lol)
Dre is Dre (please come back...please?)
Timbo is reloading (but looking promising, that Missy snippet sounding right),
Polow fell off the planet (seriously where'd he go?)
Pharrell is making (dope) singles for new artists,
Kanye camp is seemingly making shit purely random w/o an actual direction. (but are winning)

Who's hot: Hit-Boy (random)
T-Minus (slowly making a sound)
everyone pretty much is making the same beat for ross, (beat bullies & The Inkredibles are in this catagory)
40/Drake/Weeknd don't share w/other artists (though M. Fiona & Rita Ora got a couple),
DJ Mustard makes the same beat over and over (Rack City),
Justice League & Cool N Dre are reloading (or saving the heat for Ross)
No I.D. doesn't even have a sound, which is why he's on so many projects
Boi-1da reloading
Alex Da Kid & Skylar Grey are reloading or trying to get Skylar's LP out...
DJ Khalil,Scoop Deville,Rico Love & Bei Major are called upon when it's single time...but they don't have a sound either.

What are the new singles sounding like...and who made them.

T.I.'s new joint don't sound like anyone
Slaughterhouse's is different
K.R.I.T.'s is self-produced by-the-numbers southern shit
Nas' is different
what else is new commercially?

....there isn't anyone you could call and say if you got a track from them you got a winner, and no one is following...so how can there be a sound? It will be interesting to see the next crop of new releases from

2 Chainz
Ludacris
Nas
Jay-Z's solo
Waka Flocka (not personally)
The Dream
Jadakiss
Slaughterhouse

... because there's NO telling what their albums are gonna sound like beat wise.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed Apr-11-12 06:41 PM

4. "Wild, we said a lot of the same things, even though I didn't see your"
In response to Reply # 2

post until after posting my long ass one.

As a whole, yeah, I agree with most of it, but I still feel that all of these different sounds are here to represent this era. So in 5-6 years, even if you hear five diff beats from this time period..."Spend it" "Niggas in Paris" "Rack city" Dorrough "Get big" and Big Sean "Ass"...I'd assume that 4, maybe even all five, will "sound" like 2011, if that makes sense.

You can look back at most years and say the same. Take 1999...Ice Cube "You can do it" Dr. Dre "Forgot about dre" "Ante up" Jay-Z "Hard knock life" and Faith Evans "Love like this"....all huge songs, all sounded extremely different...but if you heard something that sounded just like it now, you'd say "damn, that was 1999!" I was just (randomly) listening to Lil Zane's album and saw that he had a song with Akon...I heard it for the first time, and said "SHIT....that sounds just like some year 2000 shit!!!"

It's the same with most eras. I can hear a song for the very first time, and almost every single time, identify what year it came out within 1-2 years, and 90% of the time, I'm right. It can be from 1982, 88, or 93, and I can just tell...I figure it's me producing/DJ'n too, so I just hear elements that remind me of other songs that were out at the same time.

BlackNAlwaysProud
95 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 03:03 PM

7. "Yeah, I can understand that. Interesting."
In response to Reply # 2

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed Apr-11-12 06:35 PM

3. "Great question. I'd break it down like this (hella detailed.....)"
In response to Reply # 0

I retired from producing in 2007, and every single time I consider getting back into it, I say "damn.....how the f'k do you even make a beat in 2012?"

As always, there's not just one specific style that defines this era...it's probably 5-6 dominant ones. I've always seen it like this...there's a sound that defines each of these....

Down South clubs on a more dark/crunk tip (Three Six, Lil Jon, now Lex Luger) where it's 70BPM type shit....

There's always whatever the modern Boom Bap sounds like, which is probably Black Milk n them right now, but has been Kanye, 9th Wonder, Dilla, Just, Madlib, and others before. "Otis" "All I want is you"

The West Coast sound, which is actually split a few ways now...The Post-Jerkin ("Rack city", DJ Mustard), the Bay's sound (which is post-Hyphy but still a bit of mob, such as E-40's album, "Function", Bobby Brackins "Earthquake," Iamsu/Loverance "Up"), the commercial trendy but West Coast sound (Nipsey "Feelin myself" Mann "Buzzin" and Terrace Martin "In the sheets", Bobby Brackins "143")...and now, the slight Boom bap throwback feel that you hear Kendrick n them on. The evolved G-Funk is still there as well (Snoop "Wonder what it do" and Nipsey "Hussle in the house")

There's always the upbeat Down South club tracks...which was the Bass/Booty music in the 90's, but then New Orleans Bounce influence took over ("Back that ass up"), and influenced music like Soulja Boy "Donk" and all the Ying Yang music...and now, Travis Porter ("Ayy ladies" and "Bring it back")

There's always the more laid back South sound, which K.R.I.T. is taking a hold of. This was how T.I.'s album cuts tended to sound, while his singles had more of the first South hype style I mentioned.

There's always the "generic" commercial sound that's used everywhere, and usually identifies more with the East Coast, but still used everywhere...this may have started with the Timbaland and Neptunes era, where their production didn't really have a specific Region. Now, this would probably be the Drake sound, the real ambiance sounding music that R&B and Rap artists are using. I'd also say it's that Lil Wayne style, which I'd even say Kanye uses on "Thera flu"...and speaking of Kanye, I see "Niggas in Paris" and "Can't stop now" bringing Dubstep influence in as a commercial Hip Hop sound.

There's usually a more commercial East Coast sound that's used, and I'd say this started around 96 with Bad Boy, as they branched away from Boom Bap and used samples in a different way. In 2003, this sounded more like G-Unit's music, while Dipset still used a more Boom Bap influence. Now, there isn't much of a sound like this, but I'd say that the Webstar/Ron Browz "Get lite" type music represents this..."Keep bouncin" and Nicki "I get crazy" rep that, while Fab "Killin em" has a slight Boom Bap yet commercial feel to it.

Thing is...some songs from 2007-2009 still sound modern and as if they can drop today, while some sound more dated. For sure, the Lil Jon, Scott Storch, Jazze Pha, 2003 Dre sounding production sounds dated, although you still hear some songs that have the sound.

As far as specific elements that you don't hear much of? You don't hear "shakers" in the beats much anymore, such as you heard on Neptunes "Shake that ass" or the beginning of Snoop "Ghetto symphony". On the 70 BPM beats, even though double time flows came back, you rarely hear the triple cadence in the drums and hi hats...so the bounce feels different on a "Hard in the paint" or "Niggas in Paris" compared to "Jigga what" and "Notorious thugs" in the 90's when that flow first got hot.

The 95-102 BPM club tracks, especially from L.A., have a LOT of drum break downs in them...some change every 8 bars, and even every 4 bars. "Cat daddy" is a great example...and that beat sounds AMAZING when you just listen to the drum patterns and sounds he puts in there on the instrumental.

I could go on and on and on about it, but off the top...yeah, there's not one specific sound, and never has been to me...but there's always a few different sounds that everything tends to sound like. Also, a lot of what I mentioned applies to R&B, since it's had a lot of parallels in production, and shit, really the same production commercially, since NJS.

BlackNAlwaysProud
95 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 03:04 PM

8. "This is interesting as well. I see what you're saying."
In response to Reply # 3

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 02:42 PM

6. "beats and rhymes any way you can get em"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas

http://www.last.fm/user/NodimaChee
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Nodima/run_that_shit__nodimas_hip_hop_handbook

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 03:41 PM

9. "truth"
In response to Reply # 6

--------------------------------------
https://smallprofessor.bandcamp.com

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 03:47 PM

10. "loud as fuck quick drills of hi-hats"
In response to Reply # 0

Bandcamp/IG/FB/Twitter: @hecticzeniths

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57003 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 03:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "its been OOONTZ-i-fied.. thats for sure"
In response to Reply # 0

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 03:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-12-12 04:10 PM by philpot

Lobby The Lesson topic #2684653 Previous topic | Next topic