Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2684341

Subject: "Better Artist Overall: Eminem or Cage" Previous topic | Next topic
Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Tue Apr-10-12 09:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Poll question: Better Artist Overall: Eminem or Cage"

I was going to do a poll about who had the better career, but seeing how Em is one of the most successful recording artists of all time that would be pretty pointless.

Like a good portion of the world I first became aware of this Cage character after he got dissed by the Mathers boy over some alleged style biting. But on the plus (negative?) side it gave us Ken Kannif. It's pretty funny to consider that Em is STILL using him well after they were no longer beefing.

I gotta give the nod to Cage, he hasn't put out as many solo albums as Eminem, but he also doesn't have as many all right- outright BAD albums as Em either. Also he has way more varied material and a better ear for beats too.

Poll result (13 votes)
Eminem (8 votes)Vote
Cage (5 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Cage all the way for me
Apr 10th 2012
Not that a rappers life story really has much bearing on the quality of...
Apr 10th 2012
both of these clowns fell off after 2000....
Apr 10th 2012
RE: Truly.
Apr 11th 2012
I love Cage, but it's Eminem.
Apr 10th 2012
RE: I love Cage, but it's Eminem.
Apr 11th 2012
MMLP and the 8 Mile Soundtrack were probably his highwater
Apr 11th 2012

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Tue Apr-10-12 09:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Cage all the way for me"
In response to Reply # 0

to my ear, he's made more interesting records. his albums can't be any more different from each other too. solo-wise, MFTB, HW, and DFM don't even sound like the same guy. that speaks to his willingness to experiment and try new things. a lot of times at the expense of his fan base.

em's technical skill is unmatched. but cage absolutely killed his fair share of shit too, e.g. the entire leak bros album, HW title track, hugs and kisses, 80s again, even his verse on talk like sex off the smut peddlers album.

his songs have really vivid imagery too, e.g. too heavy for cherubs, the soundtrack, i never knew you, etc. his wordplay is clever too, e.g. public property.

and his life story is more compelling. all these rappers/artists talk about their difficult life all the time. but they don't touch chris palko's.

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

Adwhizz
40926 posts
Tue Apr-10-12 09:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Not that a rappers life story really has much bearing on the quality of..."
In response to Reply # 1

Music, but Cage's life story is insane.

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57006 posts
Tue Apr-10-12 10:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "both of these clowns fell off after 2000...."
In response to Reply # 0

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Wed Apr-11-12 12:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: Truly."
In response to Reply # 3

Both are the dregs, if you ask me.

~Austin

"Where in the world is your inspiration to say the things you're aching to say?"

http://austintayeshus.blogspot.com

http://www.last.fm/user/Austintayeshus

http://twitter.com/Austintayeshus

CondoM
Member since Aug 20th 2006
9881 posts
Tue Apr-10-12 11:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I love Cage, but it's Eminem."
In response to Reply # 0

His run from SSLP through to the 8 Mile OST was nuts, not to mention that he's arguably the most skilled rapper of all time.

I'm a bit of a Cage stan and I like just about everything he's done (listening to Waterworld right now, criminally slept on album). He's not really fucking with Em though.

I do agree that he has one of the most interesting life stories in rap, along with MF Grimm.

http://www.last.fm/user/_CondoM_/

Thanes1975
Member since Aug 03rd 2011
1618 posts
Wed Apr-11-12 08:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "RE: I love Cage, but it's Eminem."
In response to Reply # 4

Agreed...Eminem had like a 4 year run that can only be matched by the legends. Come on okayplayer....

"Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds."-Albert Einstein

http://twitter.com/#!/TonyHanesPoetry

Adwhizz
40926 posts
Wed Apr-11-12 08:20 PM

7. "MMLP and the 8 Mile Soundtrack were probably his highwater"
In response to Reply # 4

Mark.

Technical Skills wise I doubt cage every reached these levels, although in terms of pure, visceral storytelling I give the nod to Cage.

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

Lobby The Lesson topic #2684341 Previous topic | Next topic