Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2683938

Subject: "Miseducation Appreciation/When Quality Meets Success" Previous topic | Next topic
Anonymous
Charter member
23228 posts
Mon Apr-09-12 11:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Miseducation Appreciation/When Quality Meets Success"
Mon Apr-09-12 11:40 PM by Anonymous

so, I'm not really sure what prompted me to do so, but as I was re-upping the iPad, I decided to cut all of the interludes off of The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (similar to how I did Mic Geronimo's The Natural), and I really started thinking about how great that album is.

I firmly believe that The Score benefited from the opposite effect that It Was Written suffered from. Both albums are classics to me, but one followed arguably the greatest hip-hop album of all-time while the other followed Blunted On Reality.

and being that The Score was as big of an album as it was…it pretty much set-up the Fugees for a guaranteed failure of a follow-up. and while Wyclef dropped a pretty dope album, it really just came and went when compared to The Score.

L-Boogie on the other hand, somehow found a way to not only live up to The Score but surpass it. While The Score had her killing verse after verse along with the monster cover of Killing Me Softly, The Miseducation was more of a reverse with her singing more so than rapping.

And she still managed to not lose a single fan. Even people like myself who wanted to hear her rhyme more couldn't even hate on the album because it was just that good.

The songwriting, the production (whoever did it lol), the features, the sequencing…everything was perfect. Not many albums are like that.

And not many albums as successful as Miseducation get both critical and mainstream praise like it did.

So this post is to serve two purposes…1 is to show appreciation and discuss The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill and 2 is to talk about other albums that match success with quality…as well as live up to the hype in a similar fashion.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby The Lesson topic #2683938 Previous topic | Next topic