Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2682627

Subject: "Armchair A&R: Beyonce's Next Album" Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 01:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Armchair A&R: Beyonce's Next Album"

Which lane should Beyonce try to go for on her next outing. Is it time for her to shift into the third phase of her career or should she still try to show she's relevant to the young pop market? Vote and explain below your choice. Feel free to go so far as to talk about how you'd make your project work.

Poll result (8 votes)
Pop and hot (4 votes)Vote
Grown and sexy (4 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
whatever's hot - she should do that.
Apr 06th 2012
What I think is interesting...
Apr 06th 2012
      this is where there is no A&R to reap
Apr 06th 2012
      she's not under Rihanna.
Apr 06th 2012
           Compare their 2011 singles
Apr 06th 2012
           yeah.
Apr 06th 2012
                Numbers don't lie
Apr 06th 2012
                     beyonce is playing runner up and the irony is that
Apr 06th 2012
                     Rihanna had more hits than Madonna last yr too.
Apr 06th 2012
                          Madonna sells albums and tours, but on the singles tip
Apr 07th 2012
           She may not be right now
Apr 06th 2012
                that doesn't mean she's stuck doing smooth jazz covers w/Kem.
Apr 06th 2012
                     Thats the thing that's tricky for so many black artist
Apr 06th 2012
                     why it gotta be smooth jazz though? LOL
Apr 06th 2012
i have a 5 album project for her
Apr 06th 2012
I actually like that Tina idea
Apr 06th 2012
make the seminal soul record of her generation
Apr 06th 2012
too many sugar daddys in her life for what you are suggesting
Apr 06th 2012
      Just make something mature instead of music for 15 year olds...
Apr 06th 2012
           sad to say she got the old Mariah carey syndrome
Apr 06th 2012
I have no doubt it'll be replete w/a lot of material talking abt her
Apr 06th 2012
A tribute to Whitney Houston
Apr 06th 2012
This is easy....
Apr 06th 2012
Neither Option
Apr 06th 2012
Actually, I am writing & producing a country track for her.
Apr 07th 2012
hot and sexy
Apr 07th 2012

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 01:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "whatever's hot - she should do that."
In response to Reply # 0

she should go w/standard, modern R&B-Pop-Dance. she and her ppl are good at making that stuff. stick w/it.

fuck you.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 01:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "What I think is interesting..."
In response to Reply # 1

Is that going that route she puts herself in a role playing *under* Rhianna. And I don't know if she can come out of that shadow at this point. Does she want to keep playing this catch up game or establish her longevity via other means?
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 01:31 PM

5. "this is where there is no A&R to reap"
In response to Reply # 3

she is on a major label almost alone because nobody is saying hey do this like this or so and so.

musical ignorance and its being passed off in favor of hits and ringtone music as to songs.

even saying rhianna in the same sentence as Beyonce is enough to make a weave run away from the screen, however this is the state of the game when a sorry no talent hack turkey liek Rhianna is mentioned in the same breath as Beyonce.

Beyonce doesn't care because she sells records and has hits.

she has stats and Jewlery however its artifical IMO because she leaves me cold like Alaska in december out at water musically.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 01:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "she's not under Rihanna."
In response to Reply # 3

fuck you.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 01:53 PM

8. "Compare their 2011 singles"
In response to Reply # 7

Beyonce:

Run the World - Gold
Best thing I Never Had - Gold
Love on Top - Gold

Rhianna:

S&M - 2x Plat
Cheers - Plat
We Found Love - 3x Plat
You Da One - Plat
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 01:54 PM

9. "yeah."
In response to Reply # 8

she's still not under Rihanna.

fuck you.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 02:05 PM

12. "Numbers don't lie"
In response to Reply # 9

Who has the top spot right now? Rhianna. Beyonce may still be the bigger star, but she don't have the hits ©madmaxxx. And while you can shrug it off I'm sure you also know that she knows this too.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 02:16 PM

14. "beyonce is playing runner up and the irony is that "
In response to Reply # 12

Kelly and Mechelle from dc were suppose to never out hit her,etc.. and not to mention her own husband co signs this competition, thangs is twisted@Keith sweat

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 02:21 PM

17. "Rihanna had more hits than Madonna last yr too."
In response to Reply # 12

is Madge under Rihanna?

LOL

and if Yonce is gonna quit making whatever music b/c Rihanna has had more hits than her then i hope she decides to just quit making music all together. if she's that stupid she doesn't deserve my attention or anyone else's.

fuck you.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sat Apr-07-12 11:32 AM

24. "Madonna sells albums and tours, but on the singles tip"
In response to Reply # 17

she ain't seeing no Rhianna in 2012 and as a matter of fact knowing Madonna she will try to tap into what Rhianna is doing to make it work for her.

CMcMurtry
Member since Nov 28th 2002
17053 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 04:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "She may not be right now"
In response to Reply # 7

But if Rihanna drops another album that performs like this last one, and Beyonce drops another album that performs like this last one, then Rihanna will have the crown with the masses.

A certain, say, 25+ audience? Nah, Beyonce has that on lock, especially now that she's a mom. But with the youth? Rihanna's on her doorstep and about to knock her off the throne, IMO.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 04:36 PM

19. "that doesn't mean she's stuck doing smooth jazz covers w/Kem."
In response to Reply # 18

not at all.

fuck you.

Alphabet
Member since Jun 28th 2003
4402 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 08:17 PM

21. "Thats the thing that's tricky for so many black artist"
In response to Reply # 19

Beyonce is almost approaching that lethal, "To young for Tom Joyner/Michael Baisden crowd, To old for The Hottest hip-hop/R&B hits crowd." That range has became the black hole for so many black artist careers.

I think she has 1 more 'young' pop album left, but after that she gonna be at a crossroads in her career where it'll be interesting to see whats next.

I mean she can try to go the Madonna route, but history has shown that it's hard for black woman to get that type of royal treatment in the music industry.

Janet almost looked like she could have pulled it off at one point.
Whitney in her prime, but that was an ENTIRELY different era and landscape in music then.

Or shit, maybe Beyonce might just concur all obstacles and really be the closest thing to Michael Jackson as far as everybody from age 8 to 80 rocks with her. Her history has shown not to bet against her.

I would image she's gonna reach that point in her career soon, where she's gonna decide between a more adult soul route (Love On Top shows hints of that) or still gonna try to be out here competing with these young 19 year olds when she's 35+.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 08:50 PM

22. "why it gotta be smooth jazz though? LOL"
In response to Reply # 19

I was actually thinking more in the soulful house variety. Get herself a bonafied "I'm every woman" type of club heater. Make no mistake I don't want her to come wack with it. And I'm not even speaking as a fan (not really a fan at all). But if she flipped the whole pop oontz on his head to some soulful house joints... yeah I'd be interested.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 01:19 PM

2. "i have a 5 album project for her"
In response to Reply # 0

i'd have her in the studio with R.Kelly,El Debarge,Lionel Richie, Smokey RObinson,Stevie Wonder, and babyface and do songs which would have her on a mellow tip. 1)

a Gospel Project with her and the Clark Sisters and Mary,Mary and something with her and Fred Hammonds on the kirk Franklin tip 2)

a jazz standards album with her and Harry Connick Jr duets with barry manilow arranging. 3)

a full blown Tina turner tribute album because that is her calling card right there and keep it rocking all way even if its a bonus disc. 4)

i'd have her do a country album with Dolly Parton and the dixie chicks to co write produce and play on the album with her. 5)

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 02:11 PM

13. "I actually like that Tina idea"
In response to Reply # 2

>a full blown Tina turner tribute album because that is her
>calling card right there and keep it rocking all way even if
>its a bonus disc. 4)

But it'd have to be some multimedia thing because the singing isn't going to be the attraction to her doing it for me.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 01:30 PM

4. "make the seminal soul record of her generation"
In response to Reply # 0

OH MY GOODNESS

i need rhodes. i need emotions. i need huge anthemic singalong ready POWER BALLADS.

only problem is you need some really gut bucket pain to sing like that...& she seems hella happy right now

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 01:33 PM

6. "too many sugar daddys in her life for what you are suggesting"
In response to Reply # 4

and unless she had a epic breakup with the Camal then that kinda record ain't ever gonna happen, but i truly believe a "Whats love got to do with it" senerio will play out in some form or fashion where she is concearned i really do

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79600 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 02:02 PM

11. "Just make something mature instead of music for 15 year olds..."
In response to Reply # 6

like someone previously said.. she keeps following the trends and by the time it drops she looks way late because she is 30+.

Grow up, stop humping the air and sing a song with some emotion in it.

She needs to do more "Me, Myself and I" type songs... she won't get the young kids but she will get the market who knows and loves her.

Grown women.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 02:17 PM

15. "sad to say she got the old Mariah carey syndrome"
In response to Reply # 11

and once she chew that apple its hard to let go.

right now if Beyonce used the loss of Whitney Houston as motivation she would be scary

vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 02:01 PM

10. "I have no doubt it'll be replete w/a lot of material talking abt her "
In response to Reply # 0

newfound motherhood status....

grassrootsphilosopher

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 02:18 PM

16. "A tribute to Whitney Houston"
In response to Reply # 0

thats it right there, she got the voice, the range and accomplished a whole lot without the money tracks and that dynamic hour of studio album time. this could do wonders.

revolution75
Member since May 07th 2003
3372 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 06:08 PM

20. "This is easy...."
In response to Reply # 0

Get with her sister or someone to connect her with what's bubbling underground
Get a puffy hit man type crew of producers/songwriters
Have them bang out songs after songs until she has 14 of the best
And do a theme/concept record a la flyte tyne

Eclectic Soul/Sunday, 2-4 PM est/89.3 WCSB.ORG

Luke Cage
Member since Dec 14th 2005
3047 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 11:57 PM

23. "Neither Option"
In response to Reply # 0

Both of those would sound played for her to do in my opinion. I think she should revisit some of the Etta James-esque soul that she did for the Cadillac records flick. Still have some uptempo , feel good anthems for the ladies but I think working with someone like Dangermouse or Jon Brion could be real interesting.

Yadgyu
Member since May 31st 2006
8856 posts
Sat Apr-07-12 11:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "Actually, I am writing & producing a country track for her."
In response to Reply # 0

Nashville

----
----
----
----
----

GET ON MY LEVEL!

kysersozey
Charter member
13602 posts
Sat Apr-07-12 01:09 PM

26. "hot and sexy"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #2682627 Previous topic | Next topic