Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2679740

Subject: "Shitty albums killed R&B." Previous topic | Next topic
Errol Walton Barrow
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
6186 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 11:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Shitty albums killed R&B."

Someone in GD made a post asking people to name a better R&B debut since Toni Braxtons, and very few candidates really stand out. I think that there has always been a structure that most artists are good singles makers, and a select few are album makers, and everyone is cool with that. But I think that in the late 80s/early 90s producers slowly became more important than songwriters, and a good album became even less of a priority.

Even in cold, economic terms that is a failing strategy, because even if you look at an album as not art but a product, R&B stars started giving us bad product, overloading CDs with 18 songs and unimaginative album covers and music videos, basically phoning in every release. And if the artists are being cynical, it just slowly disengaged the consumer. The 1996 telecommunications act surely should deserve alot of blame, because that consolidation closed down the black music departments of record labels, but the question was never asked: WHY did they do that? WHY was R&B costing record labels so much money when they made them so much in the 60s and 70s?

I think the lack of dependable, bankable stars who could give the public memorable singles and iconic albums really made R&B seem disposible in the minds of the label heads AND the listener. Those three things --Stars, Singles and Albums act as tent-poles that the rest of a genre or culture can eat and grow under. And by the time the Industry got stabbed by the internet, the entire structure was gone and fragmented, leaving singers to make dance pop and rehashed Hip Hop Soul singles. People like to blame Hip Hop for R&B's artistic decline in the 90s, but I think if star singers back then mimicked not aesthetics but rappers imaginative, experimental approaches to making classic albums like The Chronic, Southernplayaistic, Only Built and others, then the genre would be seen in a better light, economically and artistic-wise.

-------
http://adevotedappraisal.tumblr.com - Essays, reviews, short stories and free writes on music, film and life around us.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
blame hip-hop
Mar 30th 2012
Singers ran to Hip Hop sounds.
Mar 30th 2012
to be honest, the image of an R&B artist is boring just like the
Mar 30th 2012
and that just covers the albums that WERE released...
Mar 30th 2012

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 11:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "blame hip-hop"
In response to Reply # 0

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Errol Walton Barrow
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
6186 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 11:47 AM

4. "Singers ran to Hip Hop sounds."
In response to Reply # 1

The older generation should have made attempts at timeless albums and singles in the face of that. But they didn't.

-------
http://adevotedappraisal.tumblr.com - Essays, reviews, short stories and free writes on music, film and life around us.

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13927 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 11:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "to be honest, the image of an R&B artist is boring just like the"
In response to Reply # 0

image of a country artist is usually boring.

Country can survive because of the number of fans, but R&B can't really cope with people just being bored with the image.

Neo-Soul artists seemed interesting, but R&B is too blah boring image-wise. I guess that's why young black kids be wearing mohawks now, boring usual stuff ain't doing it no more.

I don't want to be bored with some garbage.

Artful Dodger
Member since Nov 20th 2009
8361 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 11:39 AM

3. "and that just covers the albums that WERE released..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-30-12 11:39 AM by Artful Dodger

paper pushing is really to blame here

Lobby The Lesson topic #2679740 Previous topic | Next topic