Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2678660

Subject: "was Billie Holiday the Most Painful Female singer ever?" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 08:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"was Billie Holiday the Most Painful Female singer ever?"
Tue Mar-27-12 08:59 PM by mistermaxxx08

often this is what it gets Holiday alot of props from folks the suffering in her voice then again you get some folks who think she tinkered with Kermit the frog and just couldn't sang.

now Mary J Bliege is said to have this as well and also Nina Simone.

but i ask did Billie Holiday's singing to you showcase the most painful tones of any female singer ever?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
LMAO...this should be good
Mar 27th 2012
ENGLISH, MUTHA FUCKA !
Mar 27th 2012
are you crazy maxx..... her voice was amazing in its tone
Mar 27th 2012
It's a strange day when I'm agreeing with maxx
Mar 27th 2012
      I call bullshit
Mar 27th 2012
           exactly....she was as influential a female singer back during a
Mar 27th 2012
                The deification of her came later though
Mar 28th 2012
                     People toss that word "legend" around like its copies of the Metro
Mar 28th 2012
                          RE: People toss that word "legend" around like its copies of the Metro
Mar 28th 2012
Thats Fine By Me,,,,
Mar 28th 2012

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 08:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "LMAO...this should be good"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Pete Burns
Member since Oct 18th 2005
5445 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 08:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "ENGLISH, MUTHA FUCKA !"
In response to Reply # 0

>often this is what is gets Holiday alot of props from folks

DO YOU SPEAK IT ??!!

What the blood claaat ???

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 09:19 PM

3. "are you crazy maxx..... her voice was amazing in its tone"
In response to Reply # 0

none like it ever

CRM
Member since Aug 06th 2007
519 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 09:28 PM

4. "It's a strange day when I'm agreeing with maxx"
In response to Reply # 3

I can't stand her voice. Hate her tone, I just hear someone who couldn't sing who doesn't affect me emotionally. People all too readily buy into her story and tragedy of her life as a vindication of her "emotive" vocalising.

R. Kelly's still shit though.

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 11:33 PM

5. "I call bullshit"
In response to Reply # 4

I was a HUGE fan of her music before I knew anything about her story.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 11:53 PM

6. "exactly....she was as influential a female singer back during a "
In response to Reply # 5

time before her real story was known...

people weren't trippin off the behind the scenes stuff like that back then.

CRM
519 posts
Wed Mar-28-12 07:42 AM

7. "The deification of her came later though"
In response to Reply # 6

People buy into the tortured soul thing, even when their voice is thin.

Look at Amy...she's a "legend" now...I will say that Billie had her own style, and Amy was simply a more vocally flexible Billie impersonator.

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Wed Mar-28-12 09:42 AM

9. "People toss that word "legend" around like its copies of the Metro"
In response to Reply # 7

I'm a big fan of Amy Winehouse, back when I had to get my stewardess friends to buy copies of her album because it wasn't released stateside.
But legend?
Jawn had 2 albums.
Amazing singer, amazing voice, a lost talent...but that's about as far as I'd go.
She definitely had more vocal range than Billie, but contraltos by default have more vocal range.
You're right about Amy - she's playing in a box that Billie built. Same goes for Badu, later Mary J Blige, about 40,000 others.
I'm hard pressed to think of any female singer who could possibly compete with what Billie does. She revolutionized what you could do with a song.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

CRM
519 posts
Wed Mar-28-12 10:29 AM

10. "RE: People toss that word "legend" around like its copies of the Metro"
In response to Reply # 9

Totally agreed. That and the word "genius" have been stripped of their resonance.

Harlepolis
Member since Jan 09th 2011
1867 posts
Wed Mar-28-12 08:12 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Thats Fine By Me,,,,"
In response to Reply # 0

I've been on that "Miss Holiday Can't Sing" train before, but I came around when this hit me in the chest 12 years ago: http://youtu.be/xuzltUeITpw

When Miles Davis said that her singing influenced his playing, I could hear that. Both artists relied more with the subtle "less is more" technique. To me, she's still more soulful, more expressive and more gut wrenching with her lil' ol' one octave than the folks who shouted blood out of their throats.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2678660 Previous topic | Next topic