Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2678032

Subject: "we want eazy! we want eazy!" Previous topic | Next topic
Bblock
Member since Feb 20th 2012
6243 posts
Mon Mar-26-12 10:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"we want eazy! we want eazy!"

i don't see any post up from this weekend
the 25th of this month marks his passing from aids in 1995
or is it the 26th?
i forget. i was in the hospital just gettin' out of surgery
groggy as fuck when i saw it on the tv in a quick sound blip
that he had passed....

life always offers you a 2nd chance...it's called tomorrow. use it wisely

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
His legacy has sort of been swept under the rug
Mar 26th 2012
I wonder where he would be today
Mar 26th 2012
Yep...
Mar 26th 2012
      He also had (dare I say) "swag"
Mar 26th 2012
           Agreed entirely.
Mar 27th 2012
You can even blame Dre n Snoop
Mar 27th 2012
So as my Cali source on here, what was his status there like?
Mar 27th 2012
      I started listening in 92-93, and I was a kid, so this is how I see it
Mar 27th 2012
Yep.
Mar 27th 2012
YouTube discovery: Eazy-E on Arsenio Hall dissing Death Row
Mar 27th 2012
That Real Muthafuckin Gz beat still gives me goosebumps.
Mar 27th 2012
Yup. BG & Dresta came off too
Mar 27th 2012
I had to hand it to Eazy for not coming back weak
Mar 28th 2012
Shit was COMEDY
Mar 27th 2012
Since I'm on an Eazy tip, this is, BY FAR, my favorite joint
Mar 27th 2012
I just heard this track the other day in my friend's car...
Mar 27th 2012
mine:
Mar 28th 2012
i'll never forget that thursday night back in 95
Mar 27th 2012
Eazier Said than done is my joint.
Mar 27th 2012
was eazy a crip or a blood?
Mar 28th 2012
Crip, supposedly
Mar 28th 2012
BG Knocc Out Interview claiming Eazy was murdered
Mar 28th 2012

CMcMurtry
Member since Nov 28th 2002
17053 posts
Mon Mar-26-12 11:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "His legacy has sort of been swept under the rug"
In response to Reply # 0

Which is a shame.

I remember I posted about him here maybe 5 years ago, lamenting that he was someone who deserved to be mentioned, in terms of impact on rap music, among the others, and I got laughed out the building.

But dude was a visionary.

So many of the labels that came to fortune in the 90's were following the Ruthless formula.

And people forget, it wasn't just N.W.A. or Bone Thugs that he had a hand in (which, in itself, is enough to make him noteworthy).

J.J. Fad were huge, he put out the first Above The Law album (damn near a classic from where I sit), and of course, was the first to try and put B.E.P. on.

I've always wondered how much of his lack of recognition is the manner in which he died. He didn't go out in a glamorous (by media and fan standards) way. Dude slipped up and was the posterboy for a disease that was very misunderstood and downright scary at that time.

Also can't help but wonder what kind of career he would have had if he had stayed alive.

Musically, I don't know how much he had left. It's On went double platinum, and it's hard to judge the success, or lack there of, of Str8 off tha Streetz of Muthaphukkin Compton because it came out so long after he passed. However, as a mogul? He seemed to have his finger on the pulse still.

debo40oz
Member since Apr 16th 2003
4081 posts
Mon Mar-26-12 01:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I wonder where he would be today "
In response to Reply # 1

had he not passed. And I agree with everything you said.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Mar-26-12 01:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Yep..."
In response to Reply # 2

and eff it man, Eazy is one of my favorite rappers, even if he has a number of wack lines to his name. His voice alone was comedy.

CMcMurtry
17053 posts
Mon Mar-26-12 02:53 PM

4. "He also had (dare I say) "swag""
In response to Reply # 3

That star quality that cannot be taught, bought, or transfered, regardless of how hard one tries. He was a personality and a half, for sure.

We now live in a rap era where people openly say, they're not rappers, they're hustlers, and no one thinks twice about it.

Eazy E was the epitome of that. Dude became an artist because the ones he had signed to him didn't show up to the studio, and they said, shit, why not.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 10:10 PM

14. "Agreed entirely."
In response to Reply # 4

Hate the word but agree completely that "swag" is a necessary part of being a quality MC. If you don't have it or lose it, your lyrics can still be tight but it just ain't the same...

Common is my example. On a song like "No Competition" or "Hungy" he had dope lyrics AND swag.

In a lot of his later works, he still got tons of lyrics but the swag is gone and it's noticeable.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 09:29 PM

8. "You can even blame Dre n Snoop"
In response to Reply # 1

Dre Day HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURT. Along with "No vaseline." So folks saw him as a shady character that they lost respect for. And to add AIDS at that time? Ehh

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

CMcMurtry
17053 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 09:41 PM

9. "So as my Cali source on here, what was his status there like?"
In response to Reply # 8

Relative to DR and Cube and even say Quik or Pac?

Was his music as respected and bumped?

My impression from afar was that he was considered old news and no longer buzz worthy? Correct?

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 10:02 PM

11. "I started listening in 92-93, and I was a kid, so this is how I see it"
In response to Reply # 9

Feels like at that time, Snoop and Dre COMPLETELY ran shit....with Cube being right behind. Their camp started to run shit as well, and Quik was starting to get big. I don't know if the older folks, or hood folks, were bumpin Eazy a lot at that point..but the kids weren't, since he wasn't making any hits and had NOTHING on the radio at the time that was new. You weren't even hearing "Boyz n da hood" n those songs much at that time because they were in that stage of "too new to be classic, but not modern enough to get played." I don't even remember hearing "Real Compton City G's" that many times on radio, especially not on daytime countdowns n that...but I know that some folks were on his side at the time, just not people I knew back then.

Now when he came with Bone? I think folks were ridin with him. We loved the verse on "For the love of money" for sure. When he died, I think we had sympathy for him, and the "Crossroads" love was huge...so basically, Bone basically gave him a 2nd wind, even after death.

After his death, he did become somewhat of a legend and he gained some respect, although it was too late. So when you see paintings and shirts of West Coast legends, he's AAAAAALWAYS on there. But it was almost as bad as 50 Cent killing Ja Rule in 92-93...he just wasn't able to compete.

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 10:08 PM

13. "Yep."
In response to Reply # 1

CMcMurtry
17053 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 08:51 PM

5. "YouTube discovery: Eazy-E on Arsenio Hall dissing Death Row"
In response to Reply # 0

I forgot about this. This was some G shit lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOnZ3YtA1Q0

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43744 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 08:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "That Real Muthafuckin Gz beat still gives me goosebumps."
In response to Reply # 5

That shit is hard.

17x NBA Champions

CMcMurtry
17053 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 09:10 PM

7. "Yup. BG & Dresta came off too"
In response to Reply # 6

And that "COMPTON" at the beginning? Doooope.

Musically, Dre and Snoop were on a much higher level than Eazy by this point, but that album still had some jams.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Mar-28-12 10:45 AM

20. "I had to hand it to Eazy for not coming back weak"
In response to Reply # 6

because that video was hilarious, the "CLICK CLICK Dre CLICK CLICK Snoop, CLICK CLICK Death Row" was a great moment

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 10:04 PM

12. "Shit was COMEDY "
In response to Reply # 5

CMcMurtry
17053 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 09:47 PM

10. "Since I'm on an Eazy tip, this is, BY FAR, my favorite joint"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtaCReubaYQ

Kind of weird considering how he went out.

But still rings 20 years later. That beat? Yoooo.

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 10:13 PM

15. "I just heard this track the other day in my friend's car..."
In response to Reply # 10
Tue Mar-27-12 10:13 PM by Brew

almost lost it. Forgot how dope/fun this song was

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed Mar-28-12 02:11 AM

18. "mine:"
In response to Reply # 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMiiCkFn_cs

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 10:16 PM

16. "i'll never forget that thursday night back in 95"
In response to Reply # 0

i had just finished watching New York Undercover and got the news he had passed.

couldn't believe it then and still can;t.

my homeboy swears up and down a goverment needle was injected into Eazy. he never says things like that and Eazy's death is a mystery IMO.

Eazy is swept under the carpet for two obvious reasons

Hip Hop is about Bravedo and sexuality and the way he died ain't fashionable to talk about 1)

and the other obvious one he was a Brother with some Juice. had some money and masters and unlike Puffy and Suge and some of these other cats who came later and had umbrella deals, Eazy E was sitting on payday even when he wasn't sitting on a pay day if you feel me?

getting a dollar off of every chronic album sold a practice that Suge Knight intercepted on snoop dogg BTW

not to mention Eazy had won with his own label, won with NWA, Won with his own solo career, spin off acts like Mea'chelle, JJ Fad and he had other things down the pike.

Eazy was a Money making machine,however he peaked too soon. fast forward to what you see Puffy, Suge, J prince, Irv Gotti, Luke Campbell, Master P, Baby Williams, Jay Z, Damon Dash, SOuljah Boy,etc..

all that goes back to the ground hustle that Eazy E laid down.

when you think about it he showed you the conversative brand of Hip hop and sold it back.

Him, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube were/are more in step with Clarance Thomas than President Obama when you see how things have unfolded and molded together over the years. IMO

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Kid Ray
Member since Sep 23rd 2010
1702 posts
Tue Mar-27-12 11:04 PM

17. "Eazier Said than done is my joint."
In response to Reply # 0

makaveli
Charter member
16305 posts
Wed Mar-28-12 10:35 AM

19. "was eazy a crip or a blood?"
In response to Reply # 0

I know ruthless was started with drug money, just curious.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

CMcMurtry
17053 posts
Wed Mar-28-12 10:58 AM

21. "Crip, supposedly"
In response to Reply # 19

But I wonder how strong his ties were considering Jerry Heller and the JDL involvement during the DR beef.

makaveli
Charter member
16305 posts
Wed Mar-28-12 12:36 PM

22. "BG Knocc Out Interview claiming Eazy was murdered"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.16485/title.bg-knocc-out-alleges-eazy-e-was-murdered-recalls-showdown-with-nate-dogg

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Lobby The Lesson topic #2678032 Previous topic | Next topic