Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2677830

Subject: "Lessonheads' Review Of (ahem) Guns N Roses 'Chinese Democracy'" Previous topic | Next topic
vee-lover
Member since Jul 30th 2007
20388 posts
Sun Mar-25-12 01:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Lessonheads' Review Of (ahem) Guns N Roses 'Chinese Democracy'"

I've been meaning to get this cd since it came out two yrs ago. I think what I allowed to deter me was so many *mixed* reviews of this record by a lot of my friends. My friends who consider themselves true diehard 'Guns N Roses' fans have for the most part dismissed it because it didn't have the original members of the band on it and because the cd supposedly doesn't have a traditional rock sound.

My other friends have said it's GREAT and that Axl (rock's greatest and most baddass frontman) put together a great cd.

Either way I'm going to get it but I wanted to hear some of the reviews of the record from Lessonheads who always seem to have a wide range of opinions.

grassrootsphilosopher

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Lessonheads' Review Of (ahem) Guns N Roses 'Chinese Democracy'
Mar 25th 2012

rdhull
Charter member
33109 posts
Sun Mar-25-12 02:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Lessonheads' Review Of (ahem) Guns N Roses 'Chinese Democracy'"
In response to Reply # 0

>I've been meaning to get this cd since it came out two yrs
>ago. I think what I allowed to deter me was so many *mixed*
>reviews of this record by a lot of my friends. My friends who
>consider themselves true diehard 'Guns N Roses' fans have for
>the most part dismissed it because it didn't have the original
>members of the band on it and because the cd supposedly
>doesn't have a traditional rock sound.
>
>My other friends have said it's GREAT and that Axl (rock's
>greatest and most baddass frontman) put together a great cd.
>
>Either way I'm going to get it but I wanted to hear some of
>the reviews of the record from Lessonheads who always seem to
>have a wide range of opinions.

Well first let me state that Axl Rose is not the greatest or most badass frontman in rock.

Second, CD is a good release save for the first two songs trying to be Nine Inch Nails. The rest is bombastic melodic rock that seems like it takes off to where Use Your Illusions left off. Axl's voice is in top form and the guitars done by Buckethead etc compliment all of the songs. I mean for the most part I could see the original lineup/Slash playing these songs.

There Was A Time has an impossible guitar coda that takes a lot out of you. Catcher is a nice rock ballad with some meaningful lyrics trying to be an ode to lost dreams of hope in the vein of John Lennon (that discusses his killer) and reminds me of Estranged. Better has a rnb sludge type of groove to its rock and Madagascar is his kitchen sin opus with a MLK interlude that is seems to copy U2's Pride done live. I think he felt this is his opus. Sorry is a slow angry ballad that talks shit about Slash and he ends this whole psychological release with Prostitute that's akin to a rougher Sweet Child Of Mine.

A lot of synths/piano are intermixed with all of the songs and its as if he wrote these with a rockier Elton John. It all sounds over the top compared to Appetite and some say more indulgent than Illusions (it is) but the songs are tight and do seem like he did take all this time working on each and every note. Overall its not the dud that most said it was..it's just out of its element in the 00's.

On the dock of that bay serving a life sentence,even if I’m going to hell I’m gonna make an entrance

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby The Lesson topic #2677830 Previous topic | Next topic