Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2677740

Subject: "where you got Billy Joel's 70's era up against other heavyweights of the..." Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Mar-25-12 01:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"where you got Billy Joel's 70's era up against other heavyweights of the..."

american Idol this past week had Billy joel week and his songs were covered. now thinking back to the 70's where do you rank him amongest other successful singer songwriters?

as a singles act?

as a Albums artist?

does his 70's era work still hold up and does it merit being in the first tier? second tier? or middle of the road?

he was huge back then and yet only the stranger and glass houses get that due.

where you got him just for the 70's?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
four classic albums, 1 pretty decent one
Mar 25th 2012
He wouldn't make my Top 20 from the 70s if we included bands
Mar 25th 2012
well yeah he ain't remotely in Stevie Wonder's area of music IMO
Mar 25th 2012
1970s Billy Joel is the work of genius.
Mar 25th 2012
one of the greatest singer/songwriters of the decade.
Mar 25th 2012

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Sun Mar-25-12 04:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "four classic albums, 1 pretty decent one"
In response to Reply # 0

Classics: Piano Man, Turnstiles, The Stranger, 52nd Street
Still pretty good: Streetlife Serenade

Cold Spring Harbor is alright but you can tell he was still trying to figure out what sort of sound he was going for...

Trying to put him up against others is tricky... because he was definitely one of the more *pop* singer/songwriters, not afraid of a bit of novelty and cheese... for the period, this sort of puts him in his own category...

His output wasn't anywhere near elton's in terms of quantity, but it could hold its own in terms of quality...

*shrug*

It's good stuff - I wish more people knew Turnstiles all the way through, that's *probably* my fav album of his

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Mar-25-12 05:33 AM

2. "He wouldn't make my Top 20 from the 70s if we included bands"
In response to Reply # 0

even Billy Joel's biggest fans I've noticed don't really study his albums like that.

Folks know a gang of his songs but for a lot of them couldn't place what album they came from.

And he doesn't really have those album tracks that end up becoming classic-rock radio 'hits' the way a lot of his peers do.

For better or worse Billy Joel has always struck me more as someone considered a great in the eyes of the casual music fan rather than the obsessive music nerd types.

He's got musical chops & wrote some quality joints tho (even beyond his 70s work), I'll always give him that.

But if someone told me they prefer Billy Joel in the 70s to Stevie Wonder, I'd probably skip having an in-depth discussion with them about it.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Mar-25-12 12:44 PM

3. "well yeah he ain't remotely in Stevie Wonder's area of music IMO"
In response to Reply # 2

but then again I can't harldy think of too many who are on a whole either. ya know how I feel about Stevie.

But Joel was able to keep a big hit and then those side bar hits and balance enough energy to meet what he had to.

its funny Joel and Donald Fagan both come from the Ray CHarles school and Joel had the bigger hits and Fagan had the better albums with Steely dan back in the 70's IMO.

funny how the same cloth you use has to different usage of soap and the end results Huh?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16160 posts
Sun Mar-25-12 05:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "1970s Billy Joel is the work of genius."
In response to Reply # 0

His songs stand up to anyone's, and surpass most.

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Sun Mar-25-12 05:20 PM

5. "one of the greatest singer/songwriters of the decade."
In response to Reply # 0

and personally, I rank him amongst the all-time American greats ( in terms of Singer/Songrwiters).

I DARE you not to sing along to "Piano Man" or "For the Longest Time"...

http://www.windimoto.com

http://ten2one.wordpress.com/ <-FEB

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

Lobby The Lesson topic #2677740 Previous topic | Next topic