Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2677000

Subject: "is Aretha Franklin your Queen of Soul?" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Mar-22-12 08:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"is Aretha Franklin your Queen of Soul?"

i love Aretha Franklin and her Box set as I have said many a time is my all time favorite Box set and I also have her on the Mount Rushmore of Female Artists,etc..

however if you are casual about her or like another female artist more then what keeps Aretha being the Queen of Soul to you?

also where do you come down on her singles?

her albums?

her diversity as a artist that has branched into other styles of Music?

is Aretha more of your parents or Grandparents thing or do you hold her as the Queen of soul and think of her when you say the word Soul?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
She is because she is. I like Chaka Khan the best though
Mar 22nd 2012
well tell me how you feel about Chaka Khan
Mar 22nd 2012
      It's really more to do with eras and the music that was made
Mar 22nd 2012
           basically...i agree...
Mar 22nd 2012
Chaka Is Boss To Me As Well,,,
Mar 22nd 2012
Aretha Franklin is *the* Queen of Soul. Period...
Mar 22nd 2012
Queen of Soul, sure.
Mar 22nd 2012
Long term and STILL flawless "live", to me,......Gladys Knight
Mar 23rd 2012

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Mar-22-12 08:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "She is because she is. I like Chaka Khan the best though"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Mar-22-12 08:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "well tell me how you feel about Chaka Khan"
In response to Reply # 1

got me curious now as compared to Aretha. lets hear it.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Mar-22-12 08:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "It's really more to do with eras and the music that was made"
In response to Reply # 2

I think Aretha is a better singer as a whole, and she has a much bigger impact and influence, along with more memorable songs as a whole, I mean "Respect" alone is one of the most known songs ever.

I enjoy Chaka's music more, mainly that late 70's and early 80's feel. "What'cha gonna do for me" is one of my favorite R&B albums ever, probably Top 5 for me. As folks here know, I've never been the biggest Motown fan, but a lot of Aretha's music was better and not as cookie cutter as the generic Motown hits we all know. Still, I'd pick Chaka's music for my personal taste.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Thu Mar-22-12 08:37 PM

6. "basically...i agree..."
In response to Reply # 3

i can't really explain why Chaka's music appeals to me more over the years, but it does....i owe whomever recommended Ask Rufus a big thanks....

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

Harlepolis
Member since Jan 09th 2011
1867 posts
Thu Mar-22-12 08:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Chaka Is Boss To Me As Well,,,"
In response to Reply # 0

She ain't afraid to get low & dirty, and when its time for the sophisticated stuff, she's top notch too. In that sense, she embodied the Dinah Washington spirit more to me, a lady who Aretha was and still is associated with.

Not to mention, her material didn't always revolve around "her man". I mean, "Earth Song"? I really can't picture Aretha singing that. She could pull if off, but it would sound out of place.

Truth is, I can't view this with objectivity. I'm biased when it comes to Wild Child, even in her worst material, I found a lasting redeeming quality; her voice.

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Thu Mar-22-12 08:35 PM

5. " Aretha Franklin is *the* Queen of Soul. Period..."
In response to Reply # 0

not 'mine' not my parent's or grandparents. The one and ONLY. she transcends generations.

simply put: Eye-Reetha is THE Queen of Soul. Everybody else fights for second place.

http://www.windimoto.com

http://ten2one.wordpress.com/ <-FEB

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Mar-22-12 08:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Queen of Soul, sure."
In response to Reply # 0

as in Soul music. the sub-genre of R&B that was alive from the late 50s/early 60s until the mid 70s. she is the Queen of that music, for sure.

she's also 1 of my favorite musicians. she's near the top of my list of favorite singers, male or female.

i think several of her singles are great - among the best ever and my favorite ever.

her albums i'm not so familiar with. i don't see her as an album artist. Young Gifted and Black is good. And I Never Loved A Man. and Amazing Grace too.

she's easily 1 of the greats. no doubt.

fuck you.

Record Playa
Member since Apr 29th 2007
2925 posts
Fri Mar-23-12 11:20 PM

8. "Long term and STILL flawless "live", to me,......Gladys Knight"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-23-12 11:21 PM by Record Playa

I listen to Gladys way more.

Amazing Grace album and Who's Zooming Who album, and a string of more timeless hits, Aretha is still the winner.

Tilt - Arcade Funk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPtLcEoyxKY

Lobby The Lesson topic #2677000 Previous topic | Next topic