Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2675726

Subject: "Brand Nubain Crown Jewel: One for all vs Foundation" Previous topic | Next topic
ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Tue Mar-20-12 05:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Brand Nubain Crown Jewel: One for all vs Foundation"

I think these are considered the quenessential group efforts

while the 2 lps w/o GP were both very,very good is their any question that the best lps are the above 2

if BN had to go into the HH HOF (which they should) and they had to be represented by one lp in the same maanner in which a baseball player who had a carrer with multiple teams has to choose 1 team cap to be inducted in

my thoughts:

Im literally torn because when it dropped O4A was the hottest lp of the time. I remember it sparked a bootleg frenzy which makes their gold lp states extremly undervalued. It prolly went Plat JUST in NY (any NYers care to attest to this fact?)

the drawback if their is any is that it wasn't as much a group effort as THE GP SHOW and friends. Dont get me wrong Dot and LJ held their own on their respective posse cuts but Puba dominated the lp front back and center.

Foundation on the other hand was the group operating on all cylinders with the addtion of some of the best prod at the time. GP came back in full force after lazily plodding thru his post R2R career. He rhymed like he had only a few days left to live. Dot and X were at their pinnacle.It is full grown man steeze at its finest.

which lp would it be?

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

1619 the 1st slaves are brought to American shores
thus begins the phrase “mine is better than yours?” (huh?)
forced to serve-too broke to by freedom
the systematic rape of African culture has begun
little time

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I might rather listen to 'Foundation' now but All For One is much more
Mar 20th 2012
RE: I might rather listen to 'Foundation' now but All For One is much mo...
Mar 20th 2012
In God We Trust is better than both but that's just me
Mar 20th 2012
great lp in its own right
Mar 20th 2012
      RE: great lp in its own right
Mar 20th 2012
One For All is the very reason I'm NGE now
Mar 20th 2012
ONE FOR ALL = one of the best hip hop albums EVER
Mar 20th 2012

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Mar-20-12 06:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I might rather listen to 'Foundation' now but All For One is much more"
In response to Reply # 0

the record that you'd cite & place in the time-capsule to document where they were coming from and where hip-hop was at that moment.

Foundation was just a criminally underrated reunion LP that you can bump front-to-back.

One For All had big singles (by 1990 non-pop-breakthrough-rap standards), launched their careers, may have not even went Gold but gave them platinum-plus level respect amongst their peers and amongst the hardcore rap fans particularly in the Northeast, got five mics in the Source when that really meant something, and might be the most important five-percent culture album ever.

To me it hasn't aged quite as well as some of the other stuff from its era or right before/after but if they're going into the Hall, best believe that they're going in wearing One For All hats.

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Tue Mar-20-12 07:11 PM

2. "RE: I might rather listen to 'Foundation' now but All For One is much mo..."
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Mar-20-12 07:13 PM by ABROCK33

yeah One for all was huge...and it seemed to be mostly a regional record. remember this was when hip hop for the most part was segregated East/West. This is why I also think tho that it may have alienated some.

Thats why I also think that ONLY if one "lived" One for all from its build up, The "Wake up" negative press, the Source 5 mic status, etc...( the IMPACT that was minimal by todays standards but huge back then) can you truly appreciate one for all as the superior record. Like you say the production may not have aged as well. I cant see listening to it for the first time years later or after you heard Foundation first saying that tho. Im interested to know if those who didnt "live" One for all share this sentiment.

also Foundation proponets can argue that it wasnt really a group effort on 1 for all

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue Mar-20-12 07:20 PM

3. "In God We Trust is better than both but that's just me"
In response to Reply # 0

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

ABROCK33
Charter member
10555 posts
Tue Mar-20-12 07:23 PM

4. "great lp in its own right"
In response to Reply # 3

but it cant be the defining group lp for HOF induction cuz it didnt have GP

thats like inducting Mantronix to the HOF and inviteing Bryce Lover and the chick and introducing them as Mantronix LOL

--------------------
"Good hair"-Uzi

little time

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue Mar-20-12 07:53 PM

6. "RE: great lp in its own right"
In response to Reply # 4

Guess I need to pull Foundation back out. Never cared for it. It had strong cuts on it but was bloated and kinda boring. All For One gets my vote since we're rolling with the two LP's Puba was on.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Mash_Comp
Member since Jul 07th 2003
66714 posts
Tue Mar-20-12 07:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "One For All is the very reason I'm NGE now"
In response to Reply # 0

HOWEVER, they sounded best as a collective on Foundation. The song "You For Me" is possibly my fave Brand Nubian song ever.

www.dumhi.com -- We are ALL dumhi

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Tue Mar-20-12 07:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "ONE FOR ALL = one of the best hip hop albums EVER"
In response to Reply # 0

...i like foundation A LOT ..but IN GOD WE TRUST comes before that album as well

Lobby The Lesson topic #2675726 Previous topic | Next topic