Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2675128

Subject: "Esperanza Spalding-Radio Music Society" Previous topic | Next topic
tapedeck
Member since Dec 27th 2004
6785 posts
Mon Mar-19-12 09:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Esperanza Spalding-Radio Music Society"

Another excellent album for 2012! The music on this album is pretty.
-ES vocals and bass playing are sweet.
-I love the drum work! Jack De Johnette! Terri Lynne Carrington!
-"Radio Song" is my favorite track. I love the intro! Nice remake of Michael Jackson's "I Can't Help It".
-The horns were mixed in nicely with the music.
-I got the deluxe edition. It comes with a dvd. I was hoping for a live performance and interview on the dvd. NAWP! Its just videos for the songs made into a movie with hardly no talking. Wait until you see the surprise in this movie! Also you get the making of the videos.

Check out NEW Soul music at: www.myspace.com/starbeing

Bumpin in the STEREO:
Gladys Knight&The Pips
RGE-Black Radio
Randy And The Gypsys
Jean Beauvoir-DATM
Atlantic Starr-Brilliance
Terri Lyne Carrington-TMP

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Video for "Radio Song"
Mar 20th 2012
the youtubery you linked up ...
Mar 20th 2012
RE: Esperanza Spalding-Radio Music Society
Mar 20th 2012
she suppoused to be a jazz artist?
Apr 03rd 2012
all i ever see is gomez
Mar 20th 2012
you crazy for this one (c) Jay-Z
Apr 04th 2012
LIVE stuff
Mar 20th 2012
Reviews are positive, but will it get air play?
Mar 20th 2012
big ups for the cd digipack
Mar 22nd 2012
This album is being slept on here...
Apr 02nd 2012
Anyone got a bonus track?
Apr 02nd 2012
Awesome album indeed.
Apr 03rd 2012
thanks for this info.
Apr 03rd 2012
need to cop this one. a remake of I Can't Help It?
Apr 03rd 2012
RE: need to cop this one. a remake of I Can't Help It?
Apr 03rd 2012
fyi - it looks like the vinyl be released
Apr 04th 2012
my review
Apr 04th 2012
Dope review
Apr 04th 2012
Lol, yeah your review is much better than they one they went with
Apr 04th 2012
      I gave it an 89
Apr 05th 2012
RE: my review
Apr 10th 2012
still haven't done the full knowledge
Apr 04th 2012

tapedeck
6785 posts
Tue Mar-20-12 10:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Video for "Radio Song""
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5d3VDrcjOo&feature=g-upl&context=G2a16b4eAUAAAAAAAAAA

Bumpin in the STEREO:
Gladys Knight&The Pips
RGE-Black Radio
Randy And The Gypsys
Jean Beauvoir-DATM

QBoogie
Member since Jun 05th 2002
5885 posts
Tue Mar-20-12 10:43 AM

3. "the youtubery you linked up ..."
In response to Reply # 1

... what the fuck? That shit is fonky as hell.

Dix
Member since Sep 04th 2009
172 posts
Tue Mar-20-12 10:41 AM

2. "RE: Esperanza Spalding-Radio Music Society"
In response to Reply # 0

Eh, slightly disappointed. I'll be the first to make the inevitable comparison with the Glasper album (given the "make jazz popular by making it less like the jazz of old" theme). RMS feels like it fits that bill perfectly, to the point of overreaching and sounding cheesy at some points. Glasper came with something new/fresh and it's hard to fit it into any box (which I think he wanted).

I do like the horns and drums. There are some cool moments, but overall it's just okay after 2 spins

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Tue Apr-03-12 09:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "she suppoused to be a jazz artist?"
In response to Reply # 2

This a jazz album?

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Tue Mar-20-12 10:46 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "all i ever see is gomez"
In response to Reply # 0

forgivenphoenix
Member since Dec 08th 2007
2514 posts
Wed Apr-04-12 04:26 PM

20. "you crazy for this one (c) Jay-Z"
In response to Reply # 4

http://www.twitter.com/chriscjamison/

People who don't take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.

Peter Drucker

tapedeck
6785 posts
Tue Mar-20-12 10:46 AM

5. "LIVE stuff"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aRC3YY3svs

Bumpin in the STEREO:
Gladys Knight&The Pips
RGE-Black Radio
Esperanza Spalding-RMS
Vertical Hold-AMOT

Controversy1999
Member since Jan 28th 2012
103 posts
Tue Mar-20-12 01:16 PM

6. "Reviews are positive, but will it get air play?"
In response to Reply # 0

Reviews are mostly positive. Here are couple (the first one is written by me, hope you like it):

Esperanza Spalding's New Album: Beautiful. Will It Get Radio Play?
http://www.dominionofnewyork.com/music-review/esperanza-spaldings-new-album-beautiful-will-it-get-radio-play/#.T2jEt8U7Xko

Esperanza Spalding Radio Music Society Review
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/5xj9

Do you think it'll make the radio?

tapedeck
6785 posts
Thu Mar-22-12 09:41 AM

7. "big ups for the cd digipack"
In response to Reply # 0

Her new album is a digipack. I wish all record labels would switch to this. It looks great, its something new, and its not heavy like all of that plastic.

Bumpin in the STEREO:
Gladys Knight&The Pips
RGE-Black Radio
Esperanza Spalding-RMS
Vertical Hold-AMOT

soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Mon Apr-02-12 01:18 PM

8. "This album is being slept on here..."
In response to Reply # 0

Her version of I can't help it is crazy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eraV-DMY5Zk

Hitokiri
Charter member
22103 posts
Mon Apr-02-12 01:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Anyone got a bonus track?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm almost positive I read about a bonus track somewhere, but haven't been able to find it.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

tREBLEFREE
Charter member
26710 posts
Tue Apr-03-12 03:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "Awesome album indeed."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm a bit partial, because I love all her stuff so far, but yeah, if it wasn't for the reissues and archival stuff I've been messin' with lately, I would've played a hole into this CD other than the one in the middle.

>-"Radio Song" is my favorite track.

It's hard to tag just one favorite, but if I had to, it'd be "Crowned & Kissed".

>-I got the deluxe edition. It comes with a dvd. I was hoping
>for a live performance and interview on the dvd. NAWP! Its
>just videos for the songs made into a movie with hardly no
>talking. Wait until you see the surprise in this movie! Also
>you get the making of the videos.

I love the DVD. It's great to get a visually artistic view of her.

Re: the surprise - yeah, I was surprised too. I wonder if she's really "family" or if she did that to make a social statement.

DVS Jackson, Esq. - DVS for Alderman
1st Single Available Now:
http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/follow-me-ep
Album coming soon!

h00ks
Member since Apr 02nd 2012
52 posts
Tue Apr-03-12 09:11 AM

11. "thanks for this info."
In response to Reply # 0

smoothcriminal12
Member since Jan 07th 2012
405 posts
Tue Apr-03-12 09:13 AM

12. "need to cop this one. a remake of I Can't Help It?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-03-12 09:13 AM by smoothcriminal12

damn.

smoothcriminal12
Member since Jan 07th 2012
405 posts
Tue Apr-03-12 09:13 AM

13. "RE: need to cop this one. a remake of I Can't Help It?"
In response to Reply # 12

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Wed Apr-04-12 08:53 AM

15. "fyi - it looks like the vinyl be released"
In response to Reply # 0

on a limited run in relation to record store day?

http://www.antimusic.com/news/12/March/27Record_Store_Day_Releases_For_McCartney_And_Little_Richard_And_More.shtml

It sounds like it will get a wider release a few weeks later... w/audio download, so I'm definitely holding out for that...

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Wed Apr-04-12 02:09 PM

16. "my review"
In response to Reply # 0

This was submitted to Okayplayer three weeks before the album was released, but they now have another review by someone else. Maybe it was considered too long or wordy, which wouldn't be a surprise, but I wasn't notified. This was meant to be a bit of continuity from my review of her last album on OKP but it's now on my site, and I post it here in The Lesson.

http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/2012/04/03/review-esperanza-spalding-radio-music-society/
==begin swipe==
Not only has Esperanza Spalding taken the music world by storm in the last two years following a Grammy win, despite the lack of weird costumes and stage set-ups, but it seems our lady from the land of unicorns and big ass food carts (Portland, Oregon) has been playing games with us as well. First, the music.

While not a proper thematic sequel, Radio Music Society is the follow-up to her 2010 album Chamber Music Society, a recording that pushed her even further into the mainstream with her musicianship, singing, songwriting, and arrangements. It lead some jazz fans to wonder if she was breaking out to become a pop artist, while others felt Spalding was the perfect artist to take jazz and classical touches into a pop marketplace that arguably lacks it. It also lead pop music fans to throw hate because she won over their favorite artists, all without actually listening to her music. Spalding was not new when she won the Grammy, she does have a small number of releases to her name As someone who comes from some of the influences Prince helped to create in the 1980′s (both musically and socially), it seemed everyone wanted her to be something without actually listening to what she had to put into the pot. Her new album adds more spices into that pot, feel free to add your own hot sauce and rice if needed.

The music on Radio Music Society is a continuation of the path she created for herself on Chamber Music Society, and even before that, with a nice blend of soul, jazz, and classical touches. In the opening track “Radio Song”, she talks about the addictive qualities of music as a whole by saying when you turn on the radio, you use music as not only entertainment but as a means of temporary relief. When you find the right channel, “you can’t help singing along/even though you never heard it, you keep singing it wrong/this song will keep you grooving, played to lift your spirits”. It’s a frequency that not only has to do with being entertained, but to find a kindred spirit, a bit of interaction between yourself and the emotions a song is able to create in you. It immediately sets the tone for what the album is about, finding something that moves you and others, in what some might call soul. Yet within her soul stylings are the jazz influences, this is not a drum loop or machine sequenced to be an eternal 4/4, there’s a human side and it’s what we unconsciously seek in order to hopefully feel what the artist did. “Cinnamon Tree” sounds like something one can imagine if the Isley Brothers, Prince, Natalie Cole, Earth, Wind & Fire, and Al Jarreau were able to unite and create a timeless song. One can easily find this get heavy rotation on jazz radio stations, along with adult contemporary pop, and yet it also goes back to a time when this is what kids looked forward to enjoying when turning on their radios. There’s a bit of motherly warmth in the way she sings about “the sweet seasonings”, as if music was nothing more than a means of extra comfort at home.

“Land Of The Free” is a brief track (less than two mintues) where Spalding takes everyone to church, with nothing but a Hammond organ and her voice, touching briefly on human rights while questioning the rights of one but the lack of it for someone else. This moves right into “Black Gold,” a bluesy song about the beauty of a child done in a way that might make Beyonce go “wow, I wish I could do that.” Spalding takes on Michael Jackson with a cover of “I Can’t Help It” very well, and in fact, some of the horn arrangements on this album remind me of the vibe that the Seawind horns also did on MJ’s Off The Wall, as if she’s specifically trying to display the wide range of influences and what the music of the past has done to help create a Radio Music Society. One of my favorite tracks, “Vague Suspicions,”, features the kind of arrangement that can only come from someone who understands music, complete with counter melodies, layers, and hues that is just incredible to experience. For those who may feel she has forgotten her Pacific Northwest roots, she honors Portland with “City Of Roses” by referring to its own jazz heritage and legacy by praising the bridges, Mt. Hood, and the place formally known by some as Jump Town. No place like home.

Like most good albums, Radio Music Society can be seen as a travelogue of sorts, a way for Spalding to say “this is the life I see, the life I experience, and the music I want to share from within”. If there is a sense of continuity on this album, it’s that one wants to find some sense of home. If it’s music, you’ll be able to find it. If it’s in a community of like-minded individuals, you keep on searching and encourage others to join you along the way. The radio was once the source for a bit of “outside of our comfort zone” community, an audio bulletin board where friends would discuss and analyze in school to discuss how it made us feel. Yet by listening to the vibe of the music on this recording, is she saying that we are a radio music society hoping to push on our influences to the next generation, or is it a statement towards today’s current radio music society? In many ways, one can consider this the flip side to the same coin that Robert Glasper created with Black Radio, as the music, lyrics, vocal stylings, and arrangements are an ode to what helped create that society in the first place. Both albums have what one would call “feel good” music, the kind of soul that some want to call irrelevant or dated because it’s not being done now. If it has real horns, people want to call it “jazz”, which for some means “old people music” but what’s wrong with that? Music is ageless, and what Spalding does here is offer up a few games and puzzles for you to think about. The music on Radio Music Society is not different from Chamber Music Society, and yet if it’s called ‘chamber music”, it suggests a level of respect that other forms of music often doesn’t receive. If you pay homage to Bob Dylan on your previous album, it might make people go “oh, so is she suggesting she is Dylanesque?” Now look at her new album. She is sitting on a boom box, an image that some will view as being hip-hop. Is she now a b-girl ready to throw on some dookie gold ropes and drop some serious freestyles? No. If the term “radio music” is meant to suggest something accessible and pop-friendly, then these songs are very much that, and yet they are no different from what she did the last time. Spalding is basically challenging fans, critics, and listeners to define her, to redefine their assumptions, and then defy the preferences others have placed on her. When you hear these songs, one may single out the jazz, soul, and classical influences on the radio, and may begin to question what actually defines “radio music”. In other words, Radio Music Society is an inner dialogue moved into the real world, as a community of like-minded individuals loudly unite in the hopes of being able to sing harmoniously in the key of life.
===end swipe===

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif

Hitokiri
Charter member
22103 posts
Wed Apr-04-12 03:21 PM

18. "Dope review"
In response to Reply # 16

though I'm kinda salty you passed over my favorite song, Crowned and Kissed, as well as another favorite in Smile Like That. I appreciate and agree with almost everything you had to say though. I'll have to check the other review that was actually put up.

--

Hitokiri
Charter member
22103 posts
Wed Apr-04-12 03:48 PM

19. "Lol, yeah your review is much better than they one they went with"
In response to Reply # 18
Wed Apr-04-12 03:49 PM by Hitokiri

I'd be insulted.

Oh, what'd you give the album on the 100 point scale?

--

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 05:30 PM

21. "I gave it an 89"
In response to Reply # 19

It was not that far off from what I gave her last album.

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif

tapedeck
6785 posts
Tue Apr-10-12 09:58 AM

22. "RE: my review"
In response to Reply # 16

I really enjoyed reading thi . I hope she can get some airplay on major urban stations. Excellent album!

Bumpin in the STEREO:
Gladys Knight&The Pips
RGE-Black Radio
Esperanza Spalding-RMS
Vertical Hold-AMOT

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Wed Apr-04-12 02:35 PM

17. "still haven't done the full knowledge"
In response to Reply # 0

but my daughter loves the MICHAEL JACKSON song. lol.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

Lobby The Lesson topic #2675128 Previous topic | Next topic